ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Computers & Technology (http://ggftw.com/forum/computers-technology/)
-   -   Laptop advice. (http://ggftw.com/forum/computers-technology/122797-laptop-advice.html)

Riolu 07-17-2013 06:54 PM

Laptop advice.

My parents are giving me some extra money to get me into buying a laptop instead of a pc and i'm unsure about which model i should buy.

Option 1: 550$ Asus i3 2.2GHz, nvidia 610m 1GB, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD

Cheapest option, store clerk said that i shouldn't normally need more if i just want something decent.

Tech savvy friend says it's bad. (he overreacts on a regular basis so i'm posting here to get a third opinion)

Option 2: 625$ Acer i3-2348M, 4GB RAM, nvidia GeForce 710M 2GB, 500GB HDD

Somewhat more expensive by 15% of the Asus's price. (it's from a different store, the clerk didn't care to tell me anything about it)

Tech savvy friend says it's the actually decent option.

Option 3: 650$ Lenovo i3 2.3GHz, 4GB RAM, nvidia GeForce 635 2GB, 1TB HDD

Clerk non-existent.

Tech savvy friend said it was the best option and that i should go for it.

Option 4: 490$ Fujitsu i3 2.4GHz, 4 GB RAM, nvidia video card (clerk didn't know which model and said i should buy it if i wanted to find out), 4 GB RAM

Didn't tell my friend about this due to the shadyness.

Right now i'm kind of thinking about buying the Asus since i could use the extra money as pocket money and i could use it to buy a laptop backpack as well.

Crave 07-17-2013 07:08 PM

What is the intended use of this machine?

Riolu 07-17-2013 07:11 PM

Gaming and university projects.

LoL and Warframe are the games in question.

Crave 07-17-2013 07:21 PM

I won't be able to answer your question because a lot of the specs are very similar between all options shown.

However I found this nifty tool that may help.

Warframe System Requirements and Warframe requirements for PC Games

Warframe is the higher spec game out of the ones mentioned so you would be best comparing the laptops to warframes specs.

Henreh 07-17-2013 07:24 PM

The laptops listed won't have problems with LoL. Warframe on anything past lowest settings is out of the question. The Lenovo is your best option imo.

VorpalBunny 07-18-2013 10:24 AM

Specs matter, but build quality does too. I made the mistake of going for a 15.6" Acer with a numpad. The keys didn't give much response, and it was one of those accursed bilingual keyboards. It will make more of an impact on your gaming than 1-2 fps ever will.

JoyDivision 07-18-2013 06:45 PM

Acer's build quality varies widely by model. If you have a model number, you could lookup reviews for that model to ensure that there aren't any quality issues. Asus and lenovo are generally ok. Don't know much about Fujitsu laptops, so I can't comment there.

In terms of graphical performance, the 610M is essentially equivalent to Intel's new HD5000 integrated card. So you can play LoL or other non-demanding games. The 635M will perform better, especially when things get hectic on screen and will let you play more demanding games in low settings.

I wouldn't recommend the Acer at all since for $25 more, you can a better graphics card, a bigger hard drive, and from a more reliable brand. So it comes down to the Asus or the Lenovo and it really comes down to price and if you expect you will fill 500GB.

Do you want to pay $100 more for a better graphics card and a bigger hard drive? A 500GB external HDD will cost about $50 so keep that in mind as well.

Riolu 07-18-2013 10:23 PM

Thanks for all the replies!

I scouted the laptop prices throughout all the shops in my city and the place that's selling the Asus was the cheapest store, i went there with the specs of the Lenovo laptop and they said that they would check if they can order it for a better price (i found the same Asus for 50$ more in another store).

Also Crave thanks a lot for that website, i showed my mother the grades for the Asus and the Lenovo graphics card and she said she would give the money for the Lenovo.

kag 07-20-2013 04:48 PM

Asus or Lenovo.
I've seen too many Acers failed after a year.

If the Asus or Lenovo is a model that they sell for the China market the quality tend not to be as good. The keyboard characters should be fairly obvious.

Fujitsus are fine but usually they tend to be more expensive as some of them are made/assembled in Japan.

Riolu 07-20-2013 06:18 PM

Thanks for the reply kag. The guys at the store called and said that they found a similar lenovo for the same price, the only difference being that it has an ivy bridge processor. Shoul i be glad?

Crave 07-20-2013 06:38 PM

I'm surprised I was of help to you. Thanks for the recognition and good luck with the your new laptop. Don't get the warranty the store will offer and be sure to keep everything that comes with it so you can return it if something goes wrong.

Henreh 07-20-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riolu (Post 1827309)
Thanks for the reply kag. The guys at the store called and said that they found a similar lenovo for the same price, the only difference being that it has an ivy bridge processor. Shoul i be glad?

You can be happy but not satisfied. Haswell saves more power than Ivy bridge but it costs more.

Alkestis 03-13-2014 11:02 PM

buy the acer much better for me i will chose it but if you will used it for gaming buy fan for it ... it will heat faster when you used it for games