Try 

Eudemons Online

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
06-19-2013   #1 (permalink)
♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪
Games
LuniaVindictusS4 LeagueDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerMoM AwardImage SleuthFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Mega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: MegaBoy740
Class: Support lt_mage
Level: 30
Guild: Prisma
Default What Modem + Router do you guys use?

Like I've said in a lot of my other threads lately, we're trying to cut back on our bills.

We're just renting a DOCSIS 3.0 modem+router from comcast right now and now that our contract is up, it's costing about $15 a month. We already have an Asus Router that we used to use with our internet, but it's pretty old now.

What kind of modems and routers do you guys use for your internet? Our set up is my Mom's, Dad's, and my laptop. Our internet is 65 Mbps down / 15 up. We also connect all 3 of our android phones to it, as well as my 3DS and PS3. So we're looking for something that can handle all of that.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
06-19-2013   #2 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

Asus RT-N66U is pretty popular due to good and stable performance.
No idea what modem to recommend, but if i have to choose it'd probably be something from motorola.

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

06-19-2013   #3 (permalink)
ღ #нвιc 7.18.11
Games
Trickster OnlinePangyaGrand ChaseEden Eternal
Awards Pervert Award

AnaSyami has disabled reputation
IGN: AnaSyami
Class: #1 Everything.
Level: 75
Guild: AutoBots

I'm using netgear.

06-21-2013   #4 (permalink)
hibernating
Special
Games
All Point Bulletin (APB)GunboundTwelve Sky 2Grand Fantasia

Henreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Henreh
Class: Bro lt_warlord
Level: 21

motorola surfboard sb 6141

you should never rent a modem from any company since you pay more by renting the modem. As for routers, ASUS is my first choice.

06-25-2013   #5 (permalink)
♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪
Games
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerMoM AwardImage SleuthFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Mega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henreh
motorola surfboard sb 6141

you should never rent a modem from any company since you pay more by renting the modem. As for routers, ASUS is my first choice.
/didn't even see your message 3 days ago

That's the thing though, it's only $5 a month for the modem+router, and they automatically upgrade us to newer models + replace them for free if they break. That's why I'm iffy about buying our own :X

06-26-2013   #6 (permalink)
hibernating
Special
Games
All Point Bulletin (APB)GunboundTwelve Sky 2Grand Fantasia

Henreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Henreh
Class: Bro lt_warlord
Level: 21

The only times you would actually "upgrade" is when they update to a newer version of docsis. That's not the case anymore since cables are going to be replaced by fiber in the future.

10-20-2013   #7 (permalink)
♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪
Games

Hey again guys,

I've finally got the money to buy us a router and modem. I looked at the 2 recommended above and was wondering if these are still good choices.

The Modem: Amazon.com: ARRIS / Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem - Retail Packaging - White: Computers & Accessories

And the Router (newer version than was recommended): Amazon.com: ASUS RT-AC66U Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Router: Computers & Accessories

10-22-2013   #8 (permalink)
ggFTW Fan

DanOam is on a distinguished road

Cisco EPC3000 + ASUS RT-AC66U

10-22-2013   #9 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Pouty Princess ☆
Games
Guild Wars 2LuniaConquer OnlineElsword
Awards Admin AwardMost Valuable StaffMoM AwardPervert Award

Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert
IGN: Light, Yucie
Class: Kanna
Level: 208

I currently use the default modem/router that my ISP provided, it's free and works well for a home environment.

Try not to overspend on the router as it's going to be in your house, not a large warehouse shared by dozens of people. Unless you live in a mansion type house and wish for wifi even when you're walking down the street, a cheaper unit with a twin antenna is just fine.

+Rep if I help you. | Guides: Lunia's Client Editing Guide / How to ggFTW!

03-13-2014   #10 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker

Alkestis is an unknown quantity at this point

i use d-link try to buy a new one some sales men may know that you can ask them or search more over the internet so that you may know something about the router and i suggest you to check your internet connection do not use more than a 10 mtr patch cord i know the more meter you used the slower connection may obtain ?

06-12-2014   #11 (permalink)
♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪
Games

Looking for an update on this~

We're looking for a modem + router that will support 1 gigabit internet now.

06-12-2014   #12 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Pouty Princess ☆
Games

Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega
Looking for an update on this~

We're looking for a modem + router that will support 1 gigabit internet now.
We're not that close to reaching 1GB transfer rates for a while. Especially with regards to wifi connections of all things.
I look forward to the time we can get FTTH, though that likely won't ever happen in North America.

06-12-2014   #13 (permalink)
♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪
Games

Local company in Chattanooga now offers 1Gbps for $70 a month.

06-12-2014   #14 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Pouty Princess ☆
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega
Local company in Chattanooga now offers 50MB/s up-to 1Gbps for $70 a month.
Corrected, plus you're on wifi.

Routers of that transfer rate will cost you a considerable amount. But you'll never get that amount unless you're on FTTH, which is again unlikely.

You'd likely be better off with something around 300-500MB/s transfer rate, until the prices of 1GB routers drop enough, and when you can properly determine what your real transfer rate of data is. Better to save the hundreds of dollars rather than wasting it.

To clarify:
- It's very likely to be FTTC or FTTN, which drops the speed from the curb/neighborhood to your house at a substantial rate.
It's 1GB to the box outside, which degrades with distance from HQ to your house (By a lot). But the box to your house is not fiber optic cable and therefor sending signals slower.

- The connection could also be passive networking, so other people connected to that box will also affect your connection in various ways. So those neighborhood kids torrenting that episode of Doctor Who will inadvertently affect you.

- You're using Wifi. While it has improved, you will still receive far less data per second than using Ethernet. Which further degrades and becomes more unstable with distance.

06-12-2014   #15 (permalink)
♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪
Games

I haven't used Wifi in a about a year now Light The only thing I use that for now is my phone and Mom and Dad's laptops. Btw, it's fiber optics, which I thought wasn't supposed to degrade....but I guess it does since our neighbor gets about 800Mbps off of it using the company equipment. But like I said, we don't want to pay for a monthly modem+router.