Try 

Aika Online

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
05-23-2013   #1 (permalink)
8-bit
Games
LuniaVindictusS4 LeagueDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerMoM AwardImage SleuthFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Mega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: MegaBoy740
Class: Support lt_mage
Level: 30
Guild: Prisma
Default Newer protections for computers.

It's been a couple of years since I asked people what kind of security and stuff they use, and asking about what I use as well.

I just tried using Ubuntu on my laptop and turns out it doesn't play well with my Atheros wifi card (5 gigs for an OS is awesome...) so I had to find a clean install for Windows 7.

Anyway for my active Anti-Virus I'm still using Avast! Then I have Spybot Search and Destroy, Malwarebytes, and SpywareBlaster for back up. Then for "upkeep" I have CCleaner + CCenhancer, Defraggler, JetClean, and Remove Empty Directories (recently found these two) and Revo Uninstaller instead of windows uninstall.

The thing is I've been reading online that you really only need Avast + Spybot or Malwarebytes and nothing else for security, while others say they use all 3 of those and SuperAntiSpyware. So I was wondering if I'm going overboard with my programs or not lol. My laptop is an Asus G37JH made for gaming, so I know the less stuff the better so it doesn't get bogged down.

(Also I'm going to try out Google Chrome and see if it feels any better than the last time I used it compared to Firefox)

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
05-23-2013   #2 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Mischief!
Special
Games
Guild Wars 2LuniaConquer OnlineElsword
Awards Admin AwardMoM AwardPervert Award

Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert
IGN: Light, Yucie
Class: Kanna
Level: 208

Talk about absolute overkill, you're making your computer suffer more than helping it with all that shit.

Unless you're an idiot and go to malicious websites, download sketchy looking files and torrents then you only really need the basics.

Spybot is great for spyware and registry cleaning, it's best for host file immunization above all else.
Microsoft Security Essentials is the lightweight anti-virus tool that I personally use that doesn't eat your memory or paranoid as hell over false positives.
PeerBlock to refuse connections to insecure servers and peers, best used when torrenting as it also helps prevent tracking.

Upkeep Programs: CCleaner for secure deletion and Defraggler because Win7 one doesn't display details.

That's all I ever needed for years and the computer is clean and sound as a whistle, because the absolute best defense is knowledge and knowing what you're doing when you use the internet.

+Rep if I help you. | Guides: Lunia's Client Editing Guide / How to ggFTW!

05-25-2013   #3 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

I think Windows 7 and 8 is fairly secure with the exception of some USB Viruses.

If you really want to play it safe or go really paranoid, here are the few things you can protect yourself.
1. Use a password manager with 2nd factor authentication, (protects you against keylogger in some sense and allows you to generate passwords for different sites)
2. Run your computer in user privilege and not administrator, this will prevent unintended clicks on UAC boxes. (Don't disable UAC)
3. Disable autorun/autoplay
4. Use Chrome cause it has some form of sandboxing and it also has sandboxing for flash.
5. Disable Java and enable it only when needed. (Note: you don't need Java to run javascripts in browser)
6. Use Incognito mode
7. If Google/Firefox/Antivirus says that the site is suspicious then it usually is.

Generally all the stuff you did only applied when i was using XP, i find a lesser need to perform those scans after using Windows 7.

Note that these are the stuff you can do if you're really paranoid.

Defraggler is a little pointless in Windows 7 unless you're really concern about the defrag algorithm used since Windows 7 built-in defrag works as required.
I used to use SpywareBlaster which is fairly useful but i now blacklist sites on router so it applies to all my computers.

Important Note: Most of these scanners won't work well when you're visiting Russian, Japanese, Chinese, Korean and most foreign websites.

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

Last edited by kag; 05-25-2013 at 02:23 AM.

05-25-2013   #4 (permalink)
8-bit
Games
LuniaVindictusS4 LeagueDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerMoM AwardImage SleuthFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Mega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: MegaBoy740
Class: Support lt_mage
Level: 30
Guild: Prisma

Yep I am a little over protective ^_^;

Also an update...switched back to Firefox. Google Chrome after leaving it open a couple of hours while I was playing games was hogging up almost 1 gig of my memory x_x;

05-27-2013   #5 (permalink)
advertising space
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
MabinogiDC Universe OnlineVindictusLineage II
Awards Admin AwardStaff AwardEvent WinnerEvents RegularMoM AwardSotW SeniorHarem JuniorLucky StreakArtifact HoarderFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Harlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Harlequin Send a message via MSN to Harlequin Send a message via Skype™ to Harlequin
IGN: Kirinne
Class: Grenadier lt_treasurehunter
Guild: <Databased>
Xfire: glarbage

I just use the free norton that comes with comcast internet o_o

06-03-2013   #6 (permalink)
wat?
Games
Anarchy OnlineAionAtlantica OnlineFinal Fantasy XIV
Awards Facebook Fan

DarkRayne has a spectacular aura aboutDarkRayne has a spectacular aura aboutDarkRayne has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to DarkRayne
Class: Sith Assassin lt_sorcerer
Guild: Omega Matrix
Xfire: d4rthsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light
Unless you're an idiot and go to malicious websites, download sketchy looking files and torrents then you only really need the basics.

the absolute best defense is knowledge and knowing what you're doing when you use the internet.
That is pretty much all that anyone needs to learn.
As long as you're smart about what you do you really shouldn't run into issues.

But to answer your thread question, I use Avast + Malwarebytes + CCleaner. That's it.

06-03-2013   #7 (permalink)
No good next to diamonds
Games
Neo SteamValkyrie SkyTrickster OnlineTribal Wars

JoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud of
IGN: Pinfire
Level: 50

You just need one internet security suite (ie anti-virus and firewall) and Malwerebytes active all the time. Use S&D to immunize cookies and etc, CCleaner to clean, and Revo Uninstaller to uninstall. Anything more than that two security programs is just using up memory.

06-09-2013   #8 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict
Games
League of LegendsElsword

Loreli is on a distinguished road
IGN: Uyie

I use Norton, the latest version of it. It is good and is probably all you need +normal firewall. But it can be very over protective at times and messes with downloading and installing games by calling them names like virus when clearly, they're not.

06-11-2013   #9 (permalink)
ღ #нвιc 7.18.11
Games
Trickster OnlinePangyaGrand ChaseEden Eternal
Awards Pervert Award

AnaSyami has disabled reputation
IGN: AnaSyami
Class: #1 Everything.
Level: 75
Guild: AutoBots

I use norton and malwarebytes, it should be enough.

06-11-2013   #10 (permalink)
Jon
♥ 09/07/13 to INFINITY. ♥
Games
Trickster OnlineElswordWonderKing OnlineEden Eternal
Awards Admin AwardEvent WinnerEvents RegularGuide WriterWiki Task ForceWandering EyeArtifact HoarderPervert Award

Jon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond repute

You really don't need SpywareBlaster if you're using Spybot's immunize feature. Also, from what I understand, Google Chrome is a heck of a lot safer to use than Firefox.

03-13-2014   #11 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker

Alkestis is an unknown quantity at this point

the problem when you install a lot of anti virus on your pc both will malfunction. If i were to you reformat your computer then install microsoft security essential that is anti spyware and malware. i am using that for a year now and i have no problem with my laptop and cc cleaner as well you can used it