ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Computers & Technology (http://ggftw.com/forum/computers-technology/)
-   -   Newer protections for computers. (http://ggftw.com/forum/computers-technology/121953-newer-protections-computers.html)

Donges 05-24-2013 12:30 AM

Newer protections for computers.

It's been a couple of years since I asked people what kind of security and stuff they use, and asking about what I use as well.

I just tried using Ubuntu on my laptop and turns out it doesn't play well with my Atheros wifi card :py56: (5 gigs for an OS is awesome...) so I had to find a clean install for Windows 7.

Anyway for my active Anti-Virus I'm still using Avast! Then I have Spybot Search and Destroy, Malwarebytes, and SpywareBlaster for back up. Then for "upkeep" I have CCleaner + CCenhancer, Defraggler, JetClean, and Remove Empty Directories (recently found these two) and Revo Uninstaller instead of windows uninstall.

The thing is I've been reading online that you really only need Avast + Spybot or Malwarebytes and nothing else for security, while others say they use all 3 of those and SuperAntiSpyware. So I was wondering if I'm going overboard with my programs or not lol. My laptop is an Asus G37JH made for gaming, so I know the less stuff the better so it doesn't get bogged down.

(Also I'm going to try out Google Chrome and see if it feels any better than the last time I used it compared to Firefox)

Light 05-24-2013 12:42 AM

Talk about absolute overkill, you're making your computer suffer more than helping it with all that shit.

Unless you're an idiot and go to malicious websites, download sketchy looking files and torrents then you only really need the basics.

Spybot is great for spyware and registry cleaning, it's best for host file immunization above all else.
Microsoft Security Essentials is the lightweight anti-virus tool that I personally use that doesn't eat your memory or paranoid as hell over false positives.
PeerBlock to refuse connections to insecure servers and peers, best used when torrenting as it also helps prevent tracking.

Upkeep Programs: CCleaner for secure deletion and Defraggler because Win7 one doesn't display details.

That's all I ever needed for years and the computer is clean and sound as a whistle, because the absolute best defense is knowledge and knowing what you're doing when you use the internet.

kag 05-25-2013 03:15 AM

I think Windows 7 and 8 is fairly secure with the exception of some USB Viruses.

If you really want to play it safe or go really paranoid, here are the few things you can protect yourself.
1. Use a password manager with 2nd factor authentication, (protects you against keylogger in some sense and allows you to generate passwords for different sites)
2. Run your computer in user privilege and not administrator, this will prevent unintended clicks on UAC boxes. (Don't disable UAC)
3. Disable autorun/autoplay
4. Use Chrome cause it has some form of sandboxing and it also has sandboxing for flash.
5. Disable Java and enable it only when needed. (Note: you don't need Java to run javascripts in browser)
6. Use Incognito mode
7. If Google/Firefox/Antivirus says that the site is suspicious then it usually is.

Generally all the stuff you did only applied when i was using XP, i find a lesser need to perform those scans after using Windows 7.

Note that these are the stuff you can do if you're really paranoid.

Defraggler is a little pointless in Windows 7 unless you're really concern about the defrag algorithm used since Windows 7 built-in defrag works as required.
I used to use SpywareBlaster which is fairly useful but i now blacklist sites on router so it applies to all my computers.

Important Note: Most of these scanners won't work well when you're visiting Russian, Japanese, Chinese, Korean and most foreign websites.

Donges 05-25-2013 04:58 AM

Yep I am a little over protective ^_^;

Also an update...switched back to Firefox. Google Chrome after leaving it open a couple of hours while I was playing games was hogging up almost 1 gig of my memory x_x;

Harlequin 05-27-2013 05:45 PM

I just use the free norton that comes with comcast internet o_o

DarkRayne 06-03-2013 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Light (Post 1818185)
Unless you're an idiot and go to malicious websites, download sketchy looking files and torrents then you only really need the basics.

the absolute best defense is knowledge and knowing what you're doing when you use the internet.

That is pretty much all that anyone needs to learn.
As long as you're smart about what you do you really shouldn't run into issues.

But to answer your thread question, I use Avast + Malwarebytes + CCleaner. That's it.

JoyDivision 06-03-2013 07:11 PM

You just need one internet security suite (ie anti-virus and firewall) and Malwerebytes active all the time. Use S&D to immunize cookies and etc, CCleaner to clean, and Revo Uninstaller to uninstall. Anything more than that two security programs is just using up memory.

Loreli 06-09-2013 09:09 AM

I use Norton, the latest version of it. It is good and is probably all you need +normal firewall. But it can be very over protective at times and messes with downloading and installing games by calling them names like virus when clearly, they're not.

AnaSyami 06-11-2013 01:42 PM

I use norton and malwarebytes, it should be enough.

Jon 06-11-2013 03:18 PM

You really don't need SpywareBlaster if you're using Spybot's immunize feature. Also, from what I understand, Google Chrome is a heck of a lot safer to use than Firefox.

Alkestis 03-14-2014 12:09 AM

the problem when you install a lot of anti virus on your pc both will malfunction. If i were to you reformat your computer then install microsoft security essential that is anti spyware and malware. i am using that for a year now and i have no problem with my laptop and cc cleaner as well you can used it