ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Computers & Technology (http://ggftw.com/forum/computers-technology/)
-   -   Debating between desktop and laptop. (http://ggftw.com/forum/computers-technology/121671-debating-between-desktop-laptop.html)

Riolu 05-09-2013 03:48 AM

Debating between desktop and laptop.

So i'm going to receive 400 euros in the next month and i want to change my pc, my current laptop has become unbearably slow and it's graphics card is too outdated for mmos.

I want to get a new pc but my friend said that building a desktop would be more cost efficient than buying a new laptop.

I already have a tablet and a keyboard for it so a laptops portability isn't a factor, i don't have a monitor, but i do have an older desktop which i could strip for it's case.

All i want is a stable 30 fps in League of Legends on medium graphics, or even low as i'm currently playing with 15 on very low.

Could i get something decent for 400 euros?

Light 05-09-2013 03:57 AM

To make it simple, a desktop is primarily for computing power whereas a laptop is only useful for its mobility.

I don't think 400 euros will get you anywhere as that's pretty much the bare minimum required for all the basic parts you need to get started in the first place.

Having a case on hand will help but if it's not mid-sized then it won't really do the trick, and a monitor itself will cost you almost quarter of your budget by itself.

If you can save up some more then you will make it a lot easier to accomplish, right now it does not seem at all possible.

Riolu 05-09-2013 07:25 AM

Thanks for the reply, my birthday is on the 30th of june, so i might raise some more, could you please give me an estimate as to how much i should try to save for a good desktop?

Light 05-09-2013 11:46 AM

600 would do you better, but the higher you can go the better you can make it.
Since it's a computer you'll likely be using in the next 5 years, you won't want to skimp on the amount you put up front for it.

That is unless you don't have a job, then you'll be in the same boat I was.
What I did was buy good parts over time starting with the motherboard so I could upgrade all the other parts with ease as the motherboard has to be good to take better hardware. It took a while but it turned out pretty good after a good year of saving up.

Riolu 05-09-2013 03:06 PM

Right now i'm unemployed as i'm a student on an ERASMUS program (studying this semester in a foreign country), but i'm going back to my country next month and i'll have to attend an internship program where i should be paid around 80 euros.

I'm planning on getting a summer job since i'm going to be free for the next 4 months (due to discrepancies between the school year here and in my home university), but that's easier said than done.

Henreh 05-09-2013 03:33 PM

Ask your university if you can get a copy of Windows 7/8. You'll save 25% of what you have if you can get it for free. You can play LoL on high with a $400 PC.

Donges 05-09-2013 03:55 PM

3 years ago I bought this Asus G37JH gaming laptop. It's awesome still and can pretty much run anything at max graphics with little to no lag, but at the same time you can only have a couple of programs open without the whole computer starting to lag. (6gigs of ram/ i7 intel CPU) Desktops just have the ability to process a lot of things at the same time.

If I could get my money back and choose which kind of computer I got again, I would definitely go with a gaming desktop this time. They seem to be cheaper than gaming laptops atm too. It is nice to be able to move it around, but 95% time it's sitting on a table in the living room.

Riolu 05-09-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henreh (Post 1815238)
Ask your university if you can get a copy of Windows 7/8. You'll save 25% of what you have if you can get it for free. You can play LoL on high with a $400 PC.

I'm pretty sure my university doesn't do that, i was going to just "yarrr" a copy of 7 or 8 because they cost ~170 euros here. Sadly the mentality here is that if you can't sell something with a license you're supposed to try and shove it down people's throats at an overprice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mega (Post 1815245)
It is nice to be able to move it around, but 95% time it's sitting on a table in the living room.

Yeah but i use my tablet for mobility so the 95% would turn into a 100%.

Edit: i just remembered my cousin has a decent monitor she doesn't use anymore, i won't be needing to buy one anymore. What parts can i cannibalize from my old pc? I'm going to definitely take the CD/DVD rom from it (my laptop has a dvd writer so i won't be needing one for my desktop).

Shugi 05-11-2013 02:18 PM

Probably power supply, HDD and RAM.

Light 05-11-2013 02:34 PM

The only parts worth keeping would be your hard disk drive and the CD drive.
When it comes to your power supply you should keep it if it's over 450w with the 12v rail at 25A or higher. That information is written on it.