Prius Online

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
04-21-2013   #1 (permalink)
You're my prince... =)
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineLeague of LegendsLuniaTrickster Online

Yumidesu has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to Yumidesu Send a message via AIM to Yumidesu Send a message via MSN to Yumidesu Send a message via Yahoo to Yumidesu Send a message via Skype™ to Yumidesu
IGN: Amiez
Level: Bronze League
Guild: Titans
Xfire: pandaamy
Default Transitioning from W7 to W8

I... hope this is a good place to put this.

Um, basically, my boyfriend bought me a new laptop. It has Windows 8 on it, as most new computers do. Anyways, I looked at the wiki for W8 and it didn't really explain much. Only that there's a new lock screen, you have these tiles on the "desktop" and a new start button. A friend also mentioned something about alt-tabbing being difficult or something, I'm not sure.

So, what should I expect? I have about a week before I start using it so I want to get up to speed the best I can before then.

What exactly should I expect, anything really new (I'm a casual PC user, and I game very frequently) that I should learn about, etc?

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
04-21-2013   #2 (permalink)
I am a girl. =)
Special
Games
AuditionCounter-Strike OnlineGunboundHabbo Hotel
Awards MoM AwardTwitter Fan

Shugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Shugi Send a message via Skype™ to Shugi
IGN: Penor
Xfire: shugix

Nothing to worry about. Win8 should be easier to use, you'll get the hang of it quickly. The one thing you probably want is the start menu, there's a lot of options for that. Just google Win8 start menu and pick one at random.

Steam: Shugi | Battle.net: Shugi#1454 | LoL.NA: xShugi | GW2: xShugi.3601

04-21-2013   #3 (permalink)
You're my prince... =)
Games

Send a message via ICQ to Yumidesu Send a message via AIM to Yumidesu Send a message via MSN to Yumidesu Send a message via Yahoo to Yumidesu Send a message via Skype™ to Yumidesu

Why is that, exactly? What's the Start button for in W8 compared to W7? o.o

04-21-2013   #4 (permalink)
No good next to diamonds
Games
Neo SteamValkyrie SkyTrickster OnlineTribal Wars

JoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud of
IGN: Pinfire
Level: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumidesu
Why is that, exactly? What's the Start button for in W8 compared to W7? o.o
Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, decided to transition the start button in W7 to the start screen (the one with all the apps) in W8.

04-21-2013   #5 (permalink)
You're my prince... =)
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyDivision
Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, decided to transition the start button in W7 to the start screen (the one with all the apps) in W8.
I apologize for my idiocy here, but... what exactly does this mean?

04-21-2013   #6 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Pouty Princess ☆
Games
Guild Wars 2LuniaConquer OnlineElsword
Awards Most Valuable StaffAdmin AwardMoM AwardPervert Award

Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert
IGN: Light, Yucie
Class: Kanna
Level: 208

If you've ever used Windows Media Center you'll be familiar with the layout and how things work.
Just look it up if you're still confused...

+Rep if I help you. | Guides: Lunia's Client Editing Guide / How to ggFTW!

04-21-2013   #7 (permalink)
Madoka★Magica
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Lucent HeartAi Sp@ceEden EternalDivina Online
Awards Retired Division HeadEvent WinnerFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Kotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: PSO2: Shizuru
Class: Bouncer 75 | Fighter 71 lu_eir

Basically the entire Start menu has been removed and turned into a full-screen UI. To access whatever programs you want, just hit the Start button and start typing the name of program you want to use (eg. N-O should show you options for Notepad or Sticky Notes)

Other than that, the Desktop mode is pretty much Windows 7 with some enhancements. Also loving the hybrid startup and shutdown.

04-21-2013   #8 (permalink)
/╲╭( ͡ ͡ ͜ʖ ͡ ͡)╮╱\
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineProject BlackoutROHAN: Blood FeudWonderKing Online
Awards Event WinnerSotW BeginnerLooterPervert Award

Shanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond repute
Level: butts

Stick with W7 dear god.

Just spent almost a month with W8, got used to the Start menu and all that fancy jazz (which I liked) but doing simple things like getting to BIOS or Safe booting is beyond ridiculous with 8. Was forced back to W7 literally yesterday due to Automatic Repairing loop due to my mouse freezing up(???).

Last edited by R; 08-09-2013 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Scavenger Hunt

04-21-2013   #9 (permalink)
You're my prince... =)
Games

Ahh, I see. Thanks Kotarou. It looks pretty neat, imo. I might end up keeping that instead of doing the start button thing, but maybe not. I'll see when I get it.

@Shanni ~ Well, I never really had a need/want to do any of that, so... o.o

04-21-2013   #10 (permalink)
meow
Special
Games
Asda StoryDragon SagaEmil Chronicle OnlineLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

Queen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Queen Send a message via Skype™ to Queen
IGN: Evalyn Fior
Class: DRK/MNK/LTW
Guild: HoCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanni
Stick with W7 dear god.

Just spent almost a month with W8, got used to the Start menu and all that fancy jazz (which I liked) but doing simple things like getting to BIOS or Safe booting is beyond ridiculous with 8. Was forced back to W7 literally yesterday due to Automatic Repairing loop due to my mouse freezing up(???).
I too had this issue but it was an older laptop and not all my drivers were compatible with Windows 8, mostly graphic drivers. I would imagine something that came preloaded with W8 would be fine.

But yeah, I was stuck in the infinite repair loop where I couldn't even boot. But it was an older laptop and reformatting is just a small nuisance for me.

I was able to get into BIOS fine to load W7 from a USB after the boot-loop, I've never had any issue with BIOS with W8 (can't speak for safe mode)

Diablo III North America Glacea#1307, Crusader Main
World of Warcraft US Allure, Holy Paladin <Taurential Reign>
FFXIV Evalyn Fior, Excalibur NA
Nintendo 3DS 4511 - 0825 - 1589 // Wii U tmikucki

04-21-2013   #11 (permalink)
I am a girl. =)
Special
Games
AuditionCounter-Strike OnlineGunboundHabbo Hotel
Awards MoM AwardTwitter Fan

Shugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Shugi Send a message via Skype™ to Shugi
IGN: Penor
Xfire: shugix

At least you guys don't have to deal with this on a daily basis. =) Now imagine you work in the industry dealing with BSODs every single day cause your developer decided to screw things up. Total nightmare, especially when windows repair is too dumb to figure out that I swapped a driver binary.

Pro tip: For fast way to get into the start up boot menu (safe mode etc), hold shift and click restart.

Steam: Shugi | Battle.net: Shugi#1454 | LoL.NA: xShugi | GW2: xShugi.3601

04-22-2013   #12 (permalink)
/╲╭( ͡ ͡ ͜ʖ ͡ ͡)╮╱\
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineProject BlackoutROHAN: Blood FeudWonderKing Online
Awards Event WinnerSotW BeginnerLooterPervert Award

Shanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond repute
Level: butts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumidesu

@Shanni ~ Well, I never really had a need/want to do any of that, so... o.o
I didn't think I needed to either (at the time) but not until I went to add my GFX from my old PC to the new one with W8. PC with W8 wouldn't boot because it didn't recognize the card so I had to get to BIOS and change it to Legacy boot.

My hate for W8 (from the short period of time I had with it) stems down to that god awful Automatic Repair looping bullcrap because all the options they gave to fix it would not work. (Refresh, reset, get into safe mode, reinstall W8 with CD but my PC came pre-installed; lulz)

But like I mentioned, Start menu is alright (and pretty with customization) but it takes time to get used too. Plus changing settings on apps is very annoying. Although I do miss the fast booting.

In my opinion, just stick with 7 (if you want your computer to work right ). 8 just looks fancy but if you like fancy, go for 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare
I too had this issue but it was an older laptop and not all my drivers were compatible with Windows 8, mostly graphic drivers. I would imagine something that came preloaded with W8 would be fine.

But yeah, I was stuck in the infinite repair loop where I couldn't even boot. But it was an older laptop and reformatting is just a small nuisance for me.

I was able to get into BIOS fine to load W7 from a USB after the boot-loop, I've never had any issue with BIOS with W8 (can't speak for safe mode)
Luckily I had just gotten the PC so there was barely anything on it to get lost but I pretty much was able to do exactly what you did but boot from CD.

Last edited by Shanni; 04-22-2013 at 11:00 PM. Reason: lol 5am typos

04-22-2013   #13 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Counter-Strike OnlineTrickster OnlineProject BlackoutLeague of Legends

iTaker has a reputation beyond reputeiTaker has a reputation beyond reputeiTaker has a reputation beyond reputeiTaker has a reputation beyond reputeiTaker has a reputation beyond reputeiTaker has a reputation beyond reputeiTaker has a reputation beyond reputeiTaker has a reputation beyond reputeiTaker has a reputation beyond reputeiTaker has a reputation beyond reputeiTaker has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: iTaker
Level: 30

Haven't personally had any problems with windows 8 besides some watchdog violation that occured a few times. Just did a system restore and got rid of it.

But anyways, I like it. A lot of people hate it, but it has a faster boot time than windows 7 and is literally the exact same thing as windows 7 except the start menu is now a screen. Which if that really bothers you, you can just download a mod for windows 8 which puts the start menu back the way it used to be. I'd say upgrade.

Edit: However, like shanni said (didnt read till I was done), If you aren't really looking for anything different other than a faster boot time (startup time from power on to login screen), than I wouldn't really spend the money on the upgrade, there's really no difference.

<3 Katamari, Complexity, 7N, Ecks T.C. <3
My Anime List

Last edited by iTaker; 04-22-2013 at 06:17 PM.

04-22-2013   #14 (permalink)
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Trickster OnlineLeague of LegendsMapleStoryWonderKing Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

james has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond reputejames has a reputation beyond repute

The only issues I've ever had with it involve trying to get it to sleep and that fix was as easy as just shutting down instead of sleeping since they both take about the same time anyways.

I upgraded from W7 to W8 and there was no major difference in my opinion. I literally just stay in desktop mode 95% of the time anyways unless I'm looking for something very specific.