Prius Online

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
12-21-2012   #1 (permalink)
hibernating
Special
Games
All Point Bulletin (APB)GunboundTwelve Sky 2Grand Fantasia

Henreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Henreh
Class: Bro lt_warlord
Level: 21
Default A Starter DIY PC guide for Starters

Index

Intro
Part I – Planning
Part II – What you should know
a. Your manual and Google is your best friend
b. Potato
Part III – Where to get info/parts
Part IV - Construction
Part V - Boot up
Part VI -
Part VII – Henreh’s Gaming PC builds
Part VIII – Henreh's approved list ol parts

Introduction

Them baby steps are always hard when you're learning how to walk. Learning to build a PC is not much different from that. If you don't know anything about the hardware world then treat this guide as the starter town in a RPG. I'll sort of teach you on how to get you started on your new PC.I did not include a step by step guide to actually build the computer. I did not do so because there are literally hundreds of video/text tutorials on how to do so on Google and Youtube. TL;DR - I am not taking your hand and guiding you through everything in this guide (yet).

Plan I – Planning

Spoiler!

Part II – What you should know

Spoiler!

Part III – Where to get info/parts

Spoiler!

Last edited by Henreh; 01-09-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
12-21-2012   #2 (permalink)
hibernating
Special
Games

Henreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond repute

Part IV - Construction

Spoiler!

Part V - Boot Up
Spoiler!

Part VII
Spoiler!

Last edited by Henreh; 12-24-2012 at 05:25 AM.

12-21-2012   #3 (permalink)
hibernating
Special
Games

Part VIII

CPUs
Spoiler!

Video cards
Spoiler!

Cases
Spoiler!

Power Supplies

Spoiler!

Last edited by Henreh; 01-10-2013 at 12:47 PM.

12-21-2012   #4 (permalink)
ahhhhh wait
Special
Games
MabinogiDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon SagaDragon Nest
Awards Most Valuable DivisionMost Valuable StaffAdmin AwardMoM AwardWandering Eye

Sandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond reputeSandrie has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Sandrie
Class: ~ lt_sorcerer
Level: e

stickied for great justice

12-21-2012   #5 (permalink)
NYO~HO HO!
Special
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineMabinogiS4 LeagueSpiral Knights
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerWandering Eye

Dani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Dani
IGN: FearmyLEGS
Class: i shoot you lt_gunslinger
Level: E

This is really helpful homg. A very good resource already for those who don't know what the hell they're doing when picking out parts for a PC (based on budget, what you want, etc).

ggFTW RulesggFTW Eventscomedy.mp4
My fingers trace lines of azures and scarlets, following the viridian milky ways above
To the poetry of fourteen billion years of light that mellows my heart into a melody

12-21-2012   #6 (permalink)
doki doki freestyle only
Special
Games
Sword 2MabinogiTrickster OnlineRagnarok Online
Awards Retired Division HeadEvent WinnerGrand Signature Champion AwardSotW Beginner

Ascherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ascherit
Level: weak
Guild: SOS Brigade

bless ur thread

these swimming gays ruined my life

12-21-2012   #7 (permalink)
2 kawaii 4 u
Games
DofusWorld of WarcraftSword 2Soul Master
Awards Facebook Fan

kuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to kuyaBaka Send a message via Skype™ to kuyaBaka
IGN: Unicornkitty
Class: Holy Paladin (PvE+PvP)
Level: Pro-level.
Guild: Get Some LLC

Awesome guide, and perfect timing too! Finally at home for break and now I have the time to start working on this thing.

I've been at this for nearly 10 hours now; slowly coming along because I have to stop and take an hour or two to read ahead and stuff. So, I'm working with the stuff that you recommended purchasing as my thread ( /forum/computers-tec...ming-rigs.html )

I've already tried the test build as shown in the Newegg Tutorial video and it managed to work (I didn't think I had the speaker part for the "post-beep" or whatever, but some digging after trying to get the case situated lead me to find them--). Now my question is on how to assemble everything into the case. I've got the power supply already screwed into place at the bottom; the beautiful dust catcher there with it. Now as far as putting the motherboard in, I read that the stand-off screws are a must to prevent bending and having grounding/charge problems to the case itself. From what I've seen, there are 9 holes for them and I only have 3. Is it ok to proceed anyway with just 3, or should I take a trip to a hardware store to pick some up tomorrow?

(Take this as a suggestion to have a construction guide up, too. ;D)

Diablo 3: 60 Witch Doctor; Battletag: Kebbysaurus#1662
WoW(US): Gishy(Mal'Ganis), Unicornkitty(Hyjal), Yigit(Hyjal)
tumblr? | twitter me timbers!

12-21-2012   #8 (permalink)
hibernating
Special
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuyaBaka
Awesome guide, and perfect timing too! Finally at home for break and now I have the time to start working on this thing.

I've been at this for nearly 10 hours now; slowly coming along because I have to stop and take an hour or two to read ahead and stuff. So, I'm working with the stuff that you recommended purchasing as my thread ( /forum/computers-tec...ming-rigs.html )

I've already tried the test build as shown in the Newegg Tutorial video and it managed to work (I didn't think I had the speaker part for the "post-beep" or whatever, but some digging after trying to get the case situated lead me to find them--). Now my question is on how to assemble everything into the case. I've got the power supply already screwed into place at the bottom; the beautiful dust catcher there with it. Now as far as putting the motherboard in, I read that the stand-off screws are a must to prevent bending and having grounding/charge problems to the case itself. From what I've seen, there are 9 holes for them and I only have 3. Is it ok to proceed anyway with just 3, or should I take a trip to a hardware store to pick some up tomorrow?

(Take this as a suggestion to have a construction guide up, too. ;D)
Yes stand-offs help ground the motherboard. Usually the case has stand offs included along with the screws and stuff. I recommend getting more standoffs (around 6-8) just to be safe. Although I've been getting away with using just 6 standoffs for awhile now.

12-22-2012   #9 (permalink)
I am a girl. =)
Special
Games
AuditionCounter-Strike OnlineGunboundHabbo Hotel
Awards MoM AwardTwitter Fan

Shugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Shugi Send a message via Skype™ to Shugi
IGN: Penor
Xfire: shugix

Nice guide. Can you add an OC section? I had people contact me personally with help with OC. It's so much simpler than it was years ago that I think even a beginner could do it.

Steam: Shugi | Battle.net: Shugi#1454 | LoL.NA: xShugi | GW2: xShugi.3601

12-22-2012   #10 (permalink)
Planeswalker
ggFTW Star
Games
ElswordDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerPervert Award

RoflKnife has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shugi
Nice guide. Can you add an OC section? I had people contact me personally with help with OC. It's so much simpler than it was years ago that I think even a beginner could do it.
Why don't you add it for him? *COUGH* *COUGH*

12-22-2012   #11 (permalink)
2 kawaii 4 u
Games
DofusWorld of WarcraftSword 2Soul Master
Awards Facebook Fan

kuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to kuyaBaka Send a message via Skype™ to kuyaBaka
IGN: Unicornkitty
Class: Holy Paladin (PvE+PvP)
Level: Pro-level.
Guild: Get Some LLC

Tried a couple of places to find standoffs, but no one seems to carry any so I'm just going to order them online. I do have about 3 of them from the bag of extras from my case; would it be ok for me to just finish building the computer while still missing the extra pieces or should I just wait out the next couple days and finish it up later?

Diablo 3: 60 Witch Doctor; Battletag: Kebbysaurus#1662
WoW(US): Gishy(Mal'Ganis), Unicornkitty(Hyjal), Yigit(Hyjal)
tumblr? | twitter me timbers!

12-22-2012   #12 (permalink)
Derpin' Herpin'
Games
LuniaSD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterRusty HeartsAika Online
Awards MoM AwardPervert Award

Metty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to Metty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shugi
Beginners shouldn't be OCing.

12-24-2012   #13 (permalink)
hibernating
Special
Games

I probably won't be making a OC guide since a google search or visiting any of the sites listed will be a lot better.

I ninja'd in a $300 build somehow. If anyone has more suggestions on builds, I'll gladly take your challenge.

Last edited by Henreh; 12-24-2012 at 05:30 AM.

12-24-2012   #14 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metty
Beginners shouldn't be OCing.
I agree beginners shouldn't OC and at the current state of computers the gains from OC is negligible.

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

01-09-2013   #15 (permalink)
hibernating
Special
Games

I'm slowly adding what I think is the best overall value of whatever part is to this.

03-16-2013   #16 (permalink)
Planeswalker
ggFTW Star
Games
ElswordDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerPervert Award

RoflKnife has disabled reputation

Logical Increments - PC Buying Guide

Worthy mention.