ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Computers & Technology (http://ggftw.com/forum/computers-technology/)
-   -   A Starter DIY PC guide for Starters (http://ggftw.com/forum/computers-technology/119673-starter-diy-pc-guide-starters.html)

Henreh 12-21-2012 07:39 AM

A Starter DIY PC guide for Starters

Index

Intro
Part I – Planning
Part II – What you should know
a. Your manual and Google is your best friend
b. Potato
Part III – Where to get info/parts
Part IV - Construction
Part V - Boot up
Part VI - :py16:
Part VII – Henreh’s Gaming PC builds
Part VIII – Henreh's approved list ol parts

Introduction

Them baby steps are always hard when you're learning how to walk. Learning to build a PC is not much different from that. If you don't know anything about the hardware world then treat this guide as the starter town in a RPG. I'll sort of teach you on how to get you started on your new PC.I did not include a step by step guide to actually build the computer. I did not do so because there are literally hundreds of video/text tutorials on how to do so on Google and Youtube. TL;DR - I am not taking your hand and guiding you through everything in this guide (yet).

Plan I – Planning

Spoiler!

Part II – What you should know

Spoiler!

Part III – Where to get info/parts

Spoiler!

Henreh 12-21-2012 07:40 AM

Part IV - Construction

Spoiler!

Part V - Boot Up
Spoiler!

Part VII
Spoiler!

Henreh 12-21-2012 07:41 AM

Part VIII

CPUs
Spoiler!

Video cards
Spoiler!

Cases
Spoiler!

Power Supplies

Spoiler!

Sandrie 12-21-2012 09:53 AM

stickied for great justice

Dani 12-21-2012 10:03 AM

This is really helpful homg. A very good resource already for those who don't know what the hell they're doing when picking out parts for a PC (based on budget, what you want, etc).

Ascherit 12-21-2012 10:20 AM

bless ur thread :py16:

kuyaBaka 12-21-2012 05:24 PM

Awesome guide, and perfect timing too! Finally at home for break and now I have the time to start working on this thing.

I've been at this for nearly 10 hours now; slowly coming along because I have to stop and take an hour or two to read ahead and stuff. So, I'm working with the stuff that you recommended purchasing as my thread ( /forum/computers-tec...ming-rigs.html )

I've already tried the test build as shown in the Newegg Tutorial video and it managed to work (I didn't think I had the speaker part for the "post-beep" or whatever, but some digging after trying to get the case situated lead me to find them--). Now my question is on how to assemble everything into the case. I've got the power supply already screwed into place at the bottom; the beautiful dust catcher there with it. Now as far as putting the motherboard in, I read that the stand-off screws are a must to prevent bending and having grounding/charge problems to the case itself. From what I've seen, there are 9 holes for them and I only have 3. Is it ok to proceed anyway with just 3, or should I take a trip to a hardware store to pick some up tomorrow?

(Take this as a suggestion to have a construction guide up, too. ;D)

Henreh 12-21-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuyaBaka (Post 1792802)
Awesome guide, and perfect timing too! Finally at home for break and now I have the time to start working on this thing.

I've been at this for nearly 10 hours now; slowly coming along because I have to stop and take an hour or two to read ahead and stuff. So, I'm working with the stuff that you recommended purchasing as my thread ( /forum/computers-tec...ming-rigs.html )

I've already tried the test build as shown in the Newegg Tutorial video and it managed to work (I didn't think I had the speaker part for the "post-beep" or whatever, but some digging after trying to get the case situated lead me to find them--). Now my question is on how to assemble everything into the case. I've got the power supply already screwed into place at the bottom; the beautiful dust catcher there with it. Now as far as putting the motherboard in, I read that the stand-off screws are a must to prevent bending and having grounding/charge problems to the case itself. From what I've seen, there are 9 holes for them and I only have 3. Is it ok to proceed anyway with just 3, or should I take a trip to a hardware store to pick some up tomorrow?

(Take this as a suggestion to have a construction guide up, too. ;D)

Yes stand-offs help ground the motherboard. Usually the case has stand offs included along with the screws and stuff. I recommend getting more standoffs (around 6-8) just to be safe. Although I've been getting away with using just 6 standoffs for awhile now.

Shugi 12-22-2012 11:16 AM

Nice guide. Can you add an OC section? I had people contact me personally with help with OC. It's so much simpler than it was years ago that I think even a beginner could do it.

RoflKnife 12-22-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shugi (Post 1793011)
Nice guide. Can you add an OC section? I had people contact me personally with help with OC. It's so much simpler than it was years ago that I think even a beginner could do it.

Why don't you add it for him? *COUGH* *COUGH*

kuyaBaka 12-22-2012 01:24 PM

Tried a couple of places to find standoffs, but no one seems to carry any so I'm just going to order them online. I do have about 3 of them from the bag of extras from my case; would it be ok for me to just finish building the computer while still missing the extra pieces or should I just wait out the next couple days and finish it up later?

Metty 12-22-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shugi (Post 1793011)

Beginners shouldn't be OCing.

Henreh 12-24-2012 04:15 AM

I probably won't be making a OC guide since a google search or visiting any of the sites listed will be a lot better.

I ninja'd in a $300 build somehow. If anyone has more suggestions on builds, I'll gladly take your challenge.

kag 12-24-2012 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metty (Post 1793069)
Beginners shouldn't be OCing.

I agree beginners shouldn't OC and at the current state of computers the gains from OC is negligible.

Henreh 01-09-2013 10:33 PM

I'm slowly adding what I think is the best overall value of whatever part is to this.

RoflKnife 03-16-2013 12:05 PM

Logical Increments - PC Buying Guide

Worthy mention.