Aika Online

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
11-21-2012   #1 (permalink)
2 kawaii 4 u
Games
DofusWorld of WarcraftSword 2Soul Master
Awards Facebook Fan

kuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to kuyaBaka Send a message via Skype™ to kuyaBaka
IGN: Unicornkitty
Class: Holy Paladin (PvE+PvP)
Level: Pro-level.
Guild: Get Some LLC
Default Since there's a trend in building gaming rigs ...

... I need help.
So I've never done it before, and I'm not very savvy with the technical jargon.

But I've been meaning to buy parts for a budget gaming PC. Since Black Friday is coming up, I figure it's a good time to start looking online for some pieces. My goal is to get something that can run Diablo 3 on medium settings. I figure with that, I should be able to at least hit 20-30 FPS on med-high for Warcraft. If I can stretch my dollar long enough, I'd like to hit 40 FPS on med settings on WoW. I wanna set my budget at $600, but if I can get it down to $500, that'd be awesome. Would anyone like to suggest what I should buy?

Diablo 3: 60 Witch Doctor; Battletag: Kebbysaurus#1662
WoW(US): Gishy(Mal'Ganis), Unicornkitty(Hyjal), Yigit(Hyjal)
tumblr? | twitter me timbers!

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
11-21-2012   #2 (permalink)
hibernating
Special
Games
All Point Bulletin (APB)GunboundTwelve Sky 2Grand Fantasia

Henreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Henreh
Class: Bro lt_warlord
Level: 21

Well what are you using now? If you don't know, press your windows key and type in dxdiag. Copy and paste what you have here. Running diablo 3 or WoW on medium won't cost much unless you have an 7 year old desktop/laptop. For $500 you can probably max out D3 and WoW.

edit: I'm assuming you're going to use your old monitor/hard drive and dvd drive so I excluded it. let us know if you aren't.

Your case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811108194

Mother Board and Processor (if you buy this now you'll probably get the free RAM)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...=Combo.1098449

Video card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125353

Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817171038

A little under $500 total and would play more then just D3/WoW on high settings

Last edited by Henreh; 11-21-2012 at 09:55 AM.

11-22-2012   #3 (permalink)
2 kawaii 4 u
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

kuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant future

I've been using this laptop for the past 3 years now, and it's not able to even load up Diablo, but I'm able to get 15-17 FPS regularly in 10-man raid situations in WoW.

As far as spare parts, my parents have a computer from just under 2 years ago that they don't use anymore since the mother board melted or whatever -- I don't remember what happened to it exactly -- so I've got the monitor and DVD drive at the least. I'll see about the hard drive in the morning.

Thanks a ton for the links, by the way! I'll definitely be looking those up later this weekend, and hopefully getting it all ordered.

Also as far as the actual handiwork, is there a website or guide or video or what-have-you that you could suggest that gives a nice step-by-step guide on how to put everything together?

11-22-2012   #4 (permalink)
I am a girl. =)
Special
Games
AuditionCounter-Strike OnlineGunboundHabbo Hotel
Awards MoM AwardTwitter Fan

Shugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Shugi Send a message via Skype™ to Shugi
IGN: Penor
Xfire: shugix

Best I could find - Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 2 - The Build - YouTube

Steam: Shugi | Battle.net: Shugi#1454 | LoL.NA: xShugi | GW2: xShugi.3601

11-22-2012   #5 (permalink)
hibernating
Special
Games

Henreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond repute

there's a lot of video tutorials on youtube and if you google it. a lot of them are accurate and reliable. let us know what you snagged from black friday and can get from that old desktop. cyber monday is around the corner so there's going to be more savings.

11-22-2012   #6 (permalink)
2 kawaii 4 u
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henreh
there's a lot of video tutorials on youtube and if you google it. a lot of them are accurate and reliable. let us know what you snagged from black friday and can get from that old desktop. cyber monday is around the corner so there's going to be more savings.
Awwyeaa, totally forgot about cyber Monday.

11-26-2012   #7 (permalink)
2 kawaii 4 u
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

Kay, so I managed to buy all the above over their Black Friday deals so I was cool enough to get the extra sticks of RAM. The thing is that the video card wasn't available. Would you recommend any other kind? I'm looking at a price range of $100-$120 for it.

-- Looked through a couple and thought these looked good, but I'm not 100% if I'm getting a good deal for the price. Any opinions?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130819
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102969

And during the actual building process, would I have to do them all in one sitting or can I stop in the middle and pick up from it later? I realized I forgot to bring the AC Adapter for my monitor from home, and was thinking that maybe I can just start building it while I'm up in San Jose then bring whatever I have back down home and finish it off later.

Last edited by kuyaBaka; 11-26-2012 at 08:55 PM.

11-27-2012   #8 (permalink)
hibernating
Special
Games

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100358L Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 CrossFireX Support Video Card

Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P4-2650-KR GeForce GTX 650 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

you should get the 650 imo for the free game.

yes you can stop at some point and take it with you but make sure everything is screwed down and stable.

Last edited by Henreh; 11-27-2012 at 09:24 AM.

11-27-2012   #9 (permalink)
2 kawaii 4 u
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

That 650 is perfect.

Thanks so much for all the help! I've already ordered everything, so hopefully these videos I've got get me to where I want to go.

11-28-2012   #10 (permalink)
hibernating
Special
Games

np, if you run into some problems feel free to bother shugi or kag or post here again.

12-26-2012   #11 (permalink)
2 kawaii 4 u
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

bumpity.

So I *finally* have *everything* I need to finish building. But I've run into a bit of a problem. I've screwed the motherboard to the case with the standoffs now, but the graphics card is an odd fit. It has this bottom part that seems to be a tad too tall and makes it so the fastening hole is just a bit too high for any of my screws to reach the case's. Any ideas on how I can fix this? I'm thinking I can just maybe break off a bit of plastic long enough to act as a supporting rod, but I think it's better to ask first.

My case has these like bumps on them where the motherboard standoff screws should be. I read that I don't need standoff screws if there's a mound like that.

IS THIS TRUE!?

[edit]

Ok, so all I have to for the optical and hard drives are these belt things, but I can't figure out how to plug them into the motherboard. I got the drives from my old computer, but I think it might be too old and not compatible for the motherboard. My hard drive was bought about 3 years ago, so not as old as the dvd drive and cd burner. Can I still use them or will I have to buy new ones?

Last edited by kuyaBaka; 12-26-2012 at 10:39 PM.

12-26-2012   #12 (permalink)
hibernating
Special
Games

I would keep the standoffs on and just install the motherboard on them. Standoffs provide grounding so your motherboard doesn't get damaged.

12-27-2012   #13 (permalink)
2 kawaii 4 u
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

Quote:
I would keep the standoffs on and just install the motherboard on them. Standoffs provide grounding so your motherboard doesn't get damaged.
I tried to do it that way, but it kept the motherboard too high for the output port things in the back to fit into the plate and the graphics card looked like it was about to fall over any second. I re-did it without the standoffs and everything was able to fit just fine. I was just worried that if I kept them on, the graphics card would just snap off since it looked like it was only being supported by the cartridge part being put into the PCI slot.

Last edited by kuyaBaka; 12-27-2012 at 02:20 AM.

12-27-2012   #14 (permalink)
hibernating
Special
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuyaBaka
I tried to do it that way, but it kept the motherboard too high for the output port things in the back to fit into the plate and the graphics card looked like it was about to fall over any second. I re-did it without the standoffs and everything was able to fit just fine. I was just worried that if I kept them on, the graphics card would just snap off since it looked like it was only being supported by the cartridge part being put into the PCI slot.
Did you screw down the video card when you had the standoffs on? Sounds like that was the issue.

12-27-2012   #15 (permalink)
2 kawaii 4 u
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

Quote:
Did you screw down the video card when you had the standoffs on? Sounds like that was the issue.
So you're supposed to screw down the video card before putting in the standoffs and motherboard or ... ?

12-27-2012   #16 (permalink)
Planeswalker
ggFTW Star
Games
ElswordDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerPervert Award

RoflKnife has disabled reputation

If you put the video card in properly, it should snap in. You'll know when it's actually in cause you can feel it, and it makes a distinct sound. And then the screw should be the one from those long pieces of metal you had to remove in order to have the ports of the video card stick out of your tower. It doesn't matter if you put the card in before or after the standoffs, although I'd do it after.

12-27-2012   #17 (permalink)
2 kawaii 4 u
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoflKnife
If you put the video card in properly, it should snap in. You'll know when it's actually in cause you can feel it, and it makes a distinct sound. And then the screw should be the one from those long pieces of metal you had to remove in order to have the ports of the video card stick out of your tower. It doesn't matter if you put the card in before or after the standoffs, although I'd do it after.
Like snap when you put it into the motherboard slot?
Also, my case didn't have screws to take out the back slots. You just had to pull out the metal, then there's this locking mechanism inside that I'm supposed to use (optional), but I can't seem to get it to work. I'll try it again, though.

12-27-2012   #18 (permalink)
hibernating
Special
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuyaBaka
Like snap when you put it into the motherboard slot?
Also, my case didn't have screws to take out the back slots. You just had to pull out the metal, then there's this locking mechanism inside that I'm supposed to use (optional), but I can't seem to get it to work. I'll try it again, though.
There's the reason then and it's not optional. You have to secure your video card. Read your case manual to see how the tool-less installation works.

Last edited by Henreh; 12-27-2012 at 07:30 PM.

12-27-2012   #19 (permalink)
2 kawaii 4 u
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

Quote:
There's the reason then and it's not optional. You have to secure your video card. Read your case manual to see how the tool-less installation works.
I was looking around for a manual but all I got were these pictures showing the steps; it said you could either use the snap on feature or screw them in yourself with your own screws.

12-27-2012   #20 (permalink)
hibernating
Special
Games

either one will be fine. I personally always use screws since it's less of a pain in the ass.