ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Computers & Technology (http://ggftw.com/forum/computers-technology/)
-   -   Help me pick parts for a new gaming PC (from scratch) (http://ggftw.com/forum/computers-technology/118750-help-me-pick-parts-new-gaming-pc-scratch.html)

Yumidesu 11-12-2012 08:00 PM

Help me pick parts for a new gaming PC (from scratch)

Alright, so, I've never had the money to do this before, but I will soon, so I want to do it.

I don't really know all -that- much about computers, so I'll let you guys edumahcait me and the like. Uhm, as far as a budget goes, I've been told by a few people that have studied up thoroughly on PCs, specifically gaming PCs that you really only need to spend about $900 to run pretty much everything at a constant 60 FPS. Maybe $1,000 to $1,100 if you want a little more power. But I guess my budget would be set at... $1,200? MAYBE $1,300, depends.

Anyways, as far as what I want...

Spoiler!

Also, I use a 1920x1080 resolution monitor. I'd like to be able to run things smoothly. As far as games go, yes. I want to be able to fullscreen them and put all settings at max and get a constant 60+ FPS.

Um, that's about it, I guess. If you need a little more insight, um...

iBUYPOWER Power TG511 Gaming PC - AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz , 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, 1GB ATI Radeon HD6450, Keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit at TigerDirect.com

I bought that about 3-4 months ago. It performed really well. I had no issues with any of it (aside from the onboard sound not working and the hard drive not working). Processor was great, cooling was great, motherboard was nice, video card was nice, no issues really. But I do want a much more powerful video card, as it was only able to run Dota 2 at 1600x900 resolution (borderless windowed mode) with maxed Textures and Render Quality at 35-40 FPS. Which was the best I could get, really. You could also enable:

Spoiler!

But yeah, being able to put everything at max settings for like, most PS2 games and most MMOs would be great, along with most MOBAs that I mentioned. Thanks for any help. :)

Edit: Also, for my current PC that I have (that doesn't work because it needs a new PSU), could someone recommend me a good one? It came with a 480w PSU, so 500w+ would be nice. Thanks.

Edit3: (Ugh, sorry lol) I want to buy a nice gaming mouse and keyboard. Something like these two?

Amazon.com: Logitech Gaming Keyboard G510: Electronics

And...

Amazon.com: Mad Catz M.M.O.7 Gaming Mouse for PC and Mac: Electronics

Harlequin 11-13-2012 12:43 AM

The hard drive is pretty important too. My recommendation for a gaming rig would be to get like.. a 256mb or 512mb SSD as your primary onboard storage (that small because they run a little pricey) and try to keep its usage to a minimum, like literally for games only. SSDs are designed for you to be able to retrieve data from them at a substantially faster rate then HDDs. Anything else you'd wanna store you should just buy a TB external HD.

I'm not going to do your budgeting for you, but this is a good place to look for your video cards and any other needs:

Newegg.com - Video Cards, Graphics Cards

Be aware, most of the high-end video cards nowadays are 13 inches, so you'll need a case that can fit that. Most cases can fit it no problem, but its just something to keep in mind.

More RAM is always better. Especially considering Chrome starts like 30 processes while you run it, and Firefox doesn't have a memory usage limiter. Neither do a lot of games nowadays, actually. I've got 8GB of RAM on my current PC, and it functions fairly well for my needs but I wouldn't call it a gaming rig. I still occasionally suffer from a short lockup when multitask on it too much, as a matter of fact. No forced restarts or bluescreens or anything awful though, just a short freeze before it goes back to normal.

I'm not gonna pick anything specific out for you but those are just a couple of recommendations based on personal experience.

RoflKnife 11-13-2012 10:19 AM

Wait for the christmas sales/black friday/cyber monday. If money isn't any problem to you though, then by all means.

Your listed games are extremely modest. You could probably max them with something along the lines of $600-700. The only problem is emulation. A pretty powerful CPU is going to be needed to run at least 99% of any emulated games at full speed.

If you don't mind spending the extra $80-100, an SSD as a bootdrive will do wonders.

I'll put full trust into kago, shugi, or another regular to pop in with a whole build laid out for you since
Spoiler!

I'm willing to bet my left nut they'll tell you to wait for the sales too though.

Henreh 11-13-2012 04:53 PM

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-N66TOC-2GD GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04 - CD / DVD Drives

For emulation, AMD just doesn't cut it. You can use your old hard drive for the OS if you don't want to buy windows 7 or maybe even a new hard drive. SSDs are a luxury. Black friday/Cyber monday is around the corner just wait and see if you can snag similar parts I listed for a lower price.

RK you hurted my feelings :[

For brands (might be a bit biased)

Gigabyte/MSI is great for both AMD or Nvidia cards
Asus/Gigabyte is great for motherboards
G.Skill or Corsair for RAM
Western Digital for hard drives
Antec/Seasonic/Corsair for power supplies

Cases is a toss up. There's always a cheap gem of a case somewhere.

Yumidesu 11-13-2012 08:31 PM

Update~

So I talked to a friend of mine, Joe, who is a very amazing expert at computers. So I asked for help, as I value his opinion highly.

He said that it's just best to replace what I need to in my current PC, as there's nothing wrong (as far as I know) with my hardware. Everything's fine. The ODD, HDD, MOBO, sound (though the onboard sound doesn't work, so I use an external sound card), video card, etc. Everything's fine. I just want a more powerful CPU, GPU, and a new PSU.

The link I gave with my $600 "gaming" PC works for me. But I want a more powerful CPU and GPU.

He said to get these:

I still need a good CPU, so any tips on that would be appreciated.

RoflKnife 11-15-2012 08:13 PM

Just plug a GPU and another PSU in it then. It's really funny how it's advertised as a gaming PC when it's an onboard card and

HD 6450.

Haha.

Hahahahaha.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Spoiler!

Shugi 11-15-2012 09:01 PM

I'm 100% against the Mouse and Keyboard. They're both pretty bad. Mad Catz is notorious for making crap, their mouse is no exception. The twin philips laser is horrible. The logitech keyboard is all show.

Mouse: Steelseries - Full performance, modest eye candy (only full featured sensei) or Something like Corsair or Logitech
Keyboard: Just aim for mechanical key switches. Cherry MX Red is nice for gaming. I use Browns and hate Blacks.

CPU: Eh... AMD... eh... I don't know what to say. I have the highest end AMD CPU at work and they're not as good as I expected... To switch to intel you need a new mobo, and that's extra money you have to spend.

GPU: Nvidia 660Ti or AMD 7870 should suffice.

Hope you don't need links cause
Spoiler!

Yumidesu 11-15-2012 11:43 PM

Hey Roflknife, it doesn't have to be incredibly powerful to be a gaming PC. xD Just means it's more geared towards running games than doing typical computer stuff.

Thanks Shugi. <3 Seems everyone is lazy around here. :3