Try 

Elsword

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
11-12-2012   #1 (permalink)
' ^ '
Games
League of LegendsLuniaVindictusDragon Nest

Minuss is a jewel in the roughMinuss is a jewel in the roughMinuss is a jewel in the roughMinuss is a jewel in the rough
IGN: Minus
Default Building New Gaming Rig

So far this is my rig but I am open to input. I plan to take my 1kw PSU and HDD out of my current computer. For this new rig, I plan to OC the CPU to like 4 GHz, maybe more. I also plan on buying a SSD (Which I have never bought before) so I need some help choosing one, and I need a good CPU Fan, but I am not sure what to get. Was also wondering if I should get 2 video cards and sli/cross fire them or get a single video card. I heard SLi/Crossfire is a headache but yeah `_` Budget around 2k. Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Extreme EATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($369.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($40.95 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 4GB Video Card ($419.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom (Black/Orange) ATX Full Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1239.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-12 15:17 EST-0500)

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
11-12-2012   #2 (permalink)
Static

Cornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to all

it seems excessive, but if you're just going for raw power you will want two cards in SLI/Crossfire.

11-12-2012   #3 (permalink)
' ^ '
Games

Minuss is a jewel in the roughMinuss is a jewel in the roughMinuss is a jewel in the roughMinuss is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflake
it seems excessive, but if you're just going for raw power you will want two cards in SLI/Crossfire.
Any specific card you think I should SLI/Crossfire?

11-15-2012   #4 (permalink)
I am a girl. =)
Special
Games
AuditionCounter-Strike OnlineGunboundHabbo Hotel
Awards MoM AwardTwitter Fan

Shugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Shugi Send a message via Skype™ to Shugi
IGN: Penor
Xfire: shugix

SSD - Samsung 830 if going for 128GB, Samsung 840 Pro if 256GB. Avoid samsung 840, I don't feel it's worth it. Corsair Neutron is also a good choice. Anything less than 120GB I consider too small as a main drive. Avoid sandforce controller like plague.

Now about SLI/Crossfire. It is always NOT worth it, if you can get same performance with a single GPU. It is due to the ineffiency and average FPS. I really don't want to go into detail so just take my word for it.

For GPU I recommend GTX 680 over 670 if you really care about being an elitist (join us!!). EVGA is the recommended brand when you go full out, due to customer support, but just remember it is a reference card. It is not special in any way, besides being an EVGA. (I own a limited edition EVGA GTX 680). For GTX 670/680, I would recommend the MSI GTX 670 Power Edition (sometimes called Lightning Edition). It allows higher overvolting for higher overclocks. You also don't need 4GB video memory. Your GPU will never be able to handle that demand anyway.

i7 3770K can easily hit 4.2ghz on default settings, you just put Turbo to 4.2ghz without changing anything else.

Your mobo is pretty over kill, I have a bunch of those at work. They're nice, but the lack of PCI is annoying. I would say get a ASUS P8Z77 <insert premium thing>, how much more premium you want is up to you.

Steam: Shugi | Battle.net: Shugi#1454 | LoL.NA: xShugi | GW2: xShugi.3601

Last edited by Shugi; 11-15-2012 at 09:12 PM.

11-15-2012   #5 (permalink)
Planeswalker
ggFTW Star
Games
ElswordDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerPervert Award

RoflKnife has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shugi
Now about SLI/Crossfire. It is always NOT worth it, if you can get same performance with a single GPU. It is due to the ineffiency and average FPS. I really don't want to go into detail so just take my word for it.
Doubling this up. The only reason you would SLI/Xfire is if you found some super amazing deal or have so much money, you'll stick 4 cards or something in just for shits and giggles.

11-17-2012   #6 (permalink)
' ^ '
Games

Quote:
i7 3770K can easily hit 4.2ghz on default settings, you just put Turbo to 4.2ghz without changing anything else.

Your mobo is pretty over kill, I have a bunch of those at work. They're nice, but the lack of PCI is annoying. I would say get a ASUS P8Z77 <insert premium thing>, how much more premium you want is up to you.

I've recently siwtched my mobo from the Extreme version to Formula, saves me about 100 bucks. Newegg.com - ASUS Maximus V FORMULA LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

I was talking to some people about overclocking. Can the 3770k really go up to 4.2k Ghz without changing any voltage? People were telling me it could only go up to 3.9 without changing anything.

I also decided to get a Corsair H100 liquid cooling http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835181017 and wasnt sure if I should overclock to 4.5 GHz or not, or with this new information maybe just 4.2 GHz. I do plan to stream which is CPU heavy but yeah.

11-18-2012   #7 (permalink)
I am a girl. =)
Special
Games

Shugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it depends on the batch of the chips. My friend has his at 4.2 GHZ with out changing the voltage and it's stable. I have some at work that vary between 3.9 and 4.5 without changing voltage, but these are in an air conditioned lab room (Like 5 degrees Celsius in there). So it really depends, but I would say 4.2 ghz is average in my experience. My experience with LGA1155 is pretty small though, most of my stuff uses LGA2011.

The prefilled liquid cooling is more of a noise reduction option and not so much performance. I have one and it cools just as well as an air one, but it's much quieter.

For streaming, I don't think you need more than stock speeds. If your upload speed is really good, you do less compression so less CPU usage. So the CPU usage will vary by your upload speed. If you can upload at like 2~3mpbs, you shouldn't need to worry too much about your CPU (This is based on the assumption that you will stream at 720p).

Last edited by Shugi; 11-18-2012 at 10:49 AM.

11-18-2012   #8 (permalink)
' ^ '
Games

Quote:
I guess it depends on the batch of the chips. My friend has his at 4.2 GHZ with out changing the voltage and it's stable. I have some at work that vary between 3.9 and 4.5 without changing voltage, but these are in an air conditioned lab room (Like 5 degrees Celsius in there). So it really depends, but I would say 4.2 ghz is average in my experience. My experience with LGA1155 is pretty small though, most of my stuff uses LGA2011.

The prefilled liquid cooling is more of a noise reduction option and not so much performance. I have one and it cools just as well as an air one, but it's much quieter.

For streaming, I don't think you need more than stock speeds. If your upload speed is really good, you do less compression so less CPU usage. So the CPU usage will vary by your upload speed. If you can upload at like 2~3mpbs, you shouldn't need to worry too much about your CPU (This is based on the assumption that you will stream at 720p).
Planning to do 1080p. My upload speed is around 5-6 MB. Do you think I should get a different CPU Cooler? Also here is my updated rig (Changed Mobo and GPU) if you have anymore input.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula EATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($265.20 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($369.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1360.13
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-18 22:06 EST-0500)

11-18-2012   #9 (permalink)
hibernating
Special
Games
All Point Bulletin (APB)GunboundTwelve Sky 2Grand Fantasia

Henreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond reputeHenreh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Henreh
Class: Bro lt_warlord
Level: 21

your case is ridiculously overpriced. a better cheap alternative

Newegg.com - Rosewill THOR V2-White Edition, THOR V2-W Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case, support up to E-ATX / XL-ATX, come with Four Fans

11-18-2012   #10 (permalink)
' ^ '
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henreh
I would rather pay 50 bucks extra just because it looks nicer. Also has the side window which I want.

11-19-2012   #11 (permalink)
' ^ '
Games

Okay so my friends harassed me about the mobo gg.
What do you guys think about getting Newegg.com - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard instead?

11-19-2012   #12 (permalink)
I am a girl. =)
Special
Games

I personally prefer ASRock over ASUS, but I've never owned an ASRock before I don't know much about them, just heards lots and lots of good things about them. Though I always end up buying an ASUS mobo.

11-19-2012   #13 (permalink)
' ^ '
Games

Hey Shugi what do you think I should OC my comp to? I was thinking 4.5 but wasnt quite sure. Also how should I go about OCing it? Someone was telling me to first go to like 3.8 for a few days, monitor it and increase it by 0.2 every couple days until I get to what I want it to be at. However, I would rather just OC it straight to what I want it to be. What would be the correct way of doing it?

11-20-2012   #14 (permalink)
I am a girl. =)
Special
Games

It takes a long time to make sure it's stable. Also how stable do you want it to be? Some people want overnight stable, some want 8 hours stable. It really depends. If you want fully stable do it slowly over time. If it doesn't matter as much, then just do it in one go at +0.2 and making sure it's stable using 4~8 hour stress tests.

I would personally, do w/e you can achieve max and -0.2. That way it should be pretty stable and overclocked nicely.

Last edited by Shugi; 11-20-2012 at 08:25 PM.

11-20-2012   #15 (permalink)
' ^ '
Games

shugi #1
10char