Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
11-01-2012   #1 (permalink)
bitch pls
Special
Games
Asda StoryDragon SagaEmil Chronicle OnlineLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

Queen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Queen Send a message via Skype™ to Queen
IGN: Tama Ashenstone
Class: SMN, SCH
Default Win8, how worth it?

Considering it's dirt cheap atm, and I have a USB I can use to reinstall 7, is it worth giving 8 a shot? I think I read the product key can be used multiple times for the digital 39.99 download.

I'm sure this cheap price is supposed to get people to think exactly the way I am atm but yeah. A friend of mine who games said the faster OS will get you into the game faster but after that the speed is similar to 7, but overall it's a longer battery life and faster.

Basically anyone have thoughts, the UI of 8 scares me the most but yeah. I'm just flat out looking for real opinions, anything else I will report.

And I only ask because I know I can downgrade back if I hate it, or upgrade back if I want to give it a go again.

Diablo III North America Glacea#1307
League of Legends Queen Nimera, Level 20
New Leaf/Pokemon XY 4511 - 0825 - 1589

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
11-01-2012   #2 (permalink)
200%♥
Games
Trickster OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Facebook FanPervert Award

LauraMix has disabled reputation

Think of it like an iPod.

"There is no Real ending. It's just the place where you stop the story." -Frank Herbert

11-01-2012   #3 (permalink)
8-bit
Games
LuniaVindictusS4 LeagueDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerMoM AwardImage SleuthFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Mega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: MegaBoy740
Class: Support lt_mage
Level: 30
Guild: Prisma

The people I've heard talking about it say that it's pretty much made for touch screen computers, and people are hating the new UI since the buttons are different / completely not there anymore.

I'm interested in trying it as well, but I think I should have done the free beta testing with it because I don't really wanna spend $40 on something I might not even use :X

11-01-2012   #4 (permalink)
I am a girl. =)
Special
Games
AuditionCounter-Strike OnlineGunboundHabbo Hotel
Awards MoM AwardTwitter Fan

Shugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Shugi Send a message via Skype™ to Shugi
IGN: Penor
Xfire: shugix

From my experience with working with Win8 for like last 8 months since like pre-release (dev version), it's annoying to use from a behind the scene kind of way (coding, drivers, hardware). Otherwise it's OK. I would personally not switch to it as I like to have more control of my OS, it dumbs down a lot of things for the consumer and is super user friendly. If something goes wrong though, don't expect to be able to manually fix it. So many work arounds you have to do just to get into safe mode.

If you have Win7, it should be $15 to upgrade. Make a back up image of your OS (Win7 has this built in), then upgrade to Win8. If you don't like it, restore your Win7 image.

Steam: Shugi | Battle.net: Shugi#1454 | LoL.NA: xShugi | GW2: xShugi.3601

11-02-2012   #5 (permalink)
Posts when passionate.
Games
Battle of the ImmortalsFlyFFGrand ChaseLa Tale
Awards Facebook Fan

Riolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to Riolu
Xfire: riolu

I'm downloading w8 right now, if it works on my shoddy laptop i'll try to make a newbie review of it from an average persons perspective for you guys if you want.

11-02-2012   #6 (permalink)
bitch pls
Special
Games

Queen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shugi
From my experience with working with Win8 for like last 8 months since like pre-release (dev version), it's annoying to use from a behind the scene kind of way (coding, drivers, hardware). Otherwise it's OK. I would personally not switch to it as I like to have more control of my OS, it dumbs down a lot of things for the consumer and is super user friendly. If something goes wrong though, don't expect to be able to manually fix it. So many work arounds you have to do just to get into safe mode.

If you have Win7, it should be $15 to upgrade. Make a back up image of your OS (Win7 has this built in), then upgrade to Win8. If you don't like it, restore your Win7 image.
This brings up a few questions

1. Is there a link you could provide on how to create a back up image?

2. I spoke with a coworker about Win8. He said you can't install 3rd party antivirus etc, is Win8 truly that secure?

3. If I upgrade, will it keep all my current programs installed, and just essentially replace my OS without doing like a reformat?

I don't do much with my system. I mostly just game and do classwork. I feel like with everything so integrated, it may actually become convenient once/if I get used to it. My coworker also said once you get used to the new UI it flows as easily as how we're used to the current UI.

11-02-2012   #7 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler
Games
Trickster OnlineLa Tale
Awards Wandering Eye

Niata is a jewel in the roughNiata is a jewel in the roughNiata is a jewel in the roughNiata is a jewel in the rough
IGN: Niata
Class: Soul Master to_soulmaster
Level: 400
Guild: Bloodline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare
This brings up a few questions

1. Is there a link you could provide on how to create a back up image?

2. I spoke with a coworker about Win8. He said you can't install 3rd party antivirus etc, is Win8 truly that secure?

3. If I upgrade, will it keep all my current programs installed, and just essentially replace my OS without doing like a reformat?
1. If you use the Windows8 Upgrade Advisor, you can create an reinstall-USB Device or an DVD Image.

2. You still can install/use 3rd party security programs.

3. You only can do an full upgrade with all your data and programs when you use Windows 7 Home Premium.
All other Versions of 7 (Professional, Ultimate) or Vista/XP you only can keep personal data, no programs or settings.

Upgrade to Windows 8 - Microsoft Windows

11-02-2012   #8 (permalink)
bitch pls
Special
Games

Oh poo, I use Ultimate.

I already have Ultimate on a USB to boot from... but when Shugi said create an image, to me it implies it takes a picture of your entire system (programs and all) and puts that on a disk/stick. Which to me doesn't seem possible, since I'm using like 130 GB or something. It looks like either way, I'm essentially reformatting.

I would have to go buy another USB stick, assuming what you're saying is the image part.

I have an external so I can at the least download the programs I will need. And I though my coworker said W8 won't allow 3rd-party security programs, period. Good to know I can rely on my old favorites at least.

Also, would my Asus drivers be compatible with Win8? My system was a real poop until I re-installed those.

11-02-2012   #9 (permalink)
Posts when passionate.
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

Riolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant future

Was told that w8 uses tons of resources.

Not going to try it.

11-02-2012   #10 (permalink)
bitch pls
Special
Games

I've heard the exact opposite.

Uses less than 7 at least.

11-02-2012   #11 (permalink)
Posts when passionate.
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

Well the person who told me this uses w8 and i trust her. And she states w8 uses more resources than w7.

11-02-2012   #12 (permalink)
bitch pls
Special
Games

/shrug

Each their own, I trust my sources as well. Info like that isn't really what I'm looking for in this thread, and I'll point back to my OP. Each system is different. Even if it did consume more (assuming you're right), I've been meaning to go from 4 GB ram to 16, and can if I ever had an issue. I think my system could handle it, even if yours couldn't.

Pretty sure you stated you had 2 GB of ram earlier, which I mean I would never run a system on that. Just like how my bf's dad was going to give me Win7 so I could reformat... but it was 32bit. And I laughed, and said no way am I putting that on my system. Not only is it not compatible with my settings (iirc 32bit doesn't support more than 2GB ram), but since I play heavier games often, who in god's name would use 2GB ram these days?

AND W8 only supports 64 and 84-bit systems, so I wonder if it's even runnable with less than 4gigs? Hrmm?

Last edited by Queen; 11-02-2012 at 07:40 PM.

11-02-2012   #13 (permalink)
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Trickster OnlineLeague of LegendsMapleStoryWonderKing Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

Tardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond repute

I'm tempted to upgrade too, but I think I'm going to hold off a little longer just for a little more feedback from the world. Also am too lazy to have to do drivers and re-install firewall and anti-virus.

/lazypplprobs

11-02-2012   #14 (permalink)
No good next to diamonds
Games
Neo SteamValkyrie SkyTrickster OnlineTribal Wars

JoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud of
IGN: Pinfire
Level: 50

Other than the new interface, Windows 8 finally got rid of the BIOS and its vulnerability to rootkits and the like and Windows Defender got better. I've also heard conflicting stories about how resource intensive Windows 8 is, but the new machines handle it well, even the super cheap 300 dollar laptops I was playing around on at Best Buy.

11-02-2012   #15 (permalink)
bitch pls
Special
Games

I think core i5 with 4 GB ram can handle it, and I have no problem upgrading memory anyway.

It's likely resource intensive if you have like, no memory. How people get by with less than 4 GB is beyond me. But that's assuming that I know all the issues is based on the memory users have, but I honestly don't forsee myself having issues. I have a pretty good system for what I do (World of Warcraft, Internet, and Office)

I'm leaning more towards upgrading, though if I wanted to go back, how would I boot from USB without BIOS?

I'm nice to my system but my parents had a rootkit virus and I wanted to smash my head on the wall. I still have concerns about bad things traveling to me via the router, perhaps upgrading to Win8 would make me feel more secure in that aspect.

I've also tried to get them to let me reformat their system but they'll hear nothing of it. They don't even know how to update virus scanners, let alone run them.

Last edited by Queen; 11-02-2012 at 10:13 PM.

11-03-2012   #16 (permalink)
Posts when passionate.
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

Dare w7 32 bit is for pc's that have up to 4gb ram, while 64 bit is for 4gb and over. W8 does have 32 bit (but it's written as x86, dunno why).

I tried to gather as much info as i could before doing anything.

11-03-2012   #17 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler
Games
Trickster OnlineLa Tale
Awards Wandering Eye

Niata is a jewel in the roughNiata is a jewel in the roughNiata is a jewel in the roughNiata is a jewel in the rough
IGN: Niata
Class: Soul Master to_soulmaster
Level: 400
Guild: Bloodline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare
I've heard the exact opposite.

Uses less than 7 at least.
I just can agree with that.

Installed Windows 8 32-Bit for testing purposes on an old computer last Weekend. (1998~2001, 1 GB RAM, 950 MHz Pentium II, 128MB AGP Graphics, 20 GB HDD)
Only upgraded the hardware (RAM and Graphics) to minimum-system-requirements.
Windows 8 is running faster than XP on this slow old system.

__
Upgraded my Notebook to Windows 8 too... I doesn't have any resource problems. It's running way better and faster than Windows 7.
Very stable.
(4 GB DDR2-RAM, 2GHz Dual Core, 1 GB Graphics, 320 GB HDD)

Even if I doesn't really like this new UI, I can anyone recommend this upgrade. It is worth it. xD

11-03-2012   #18 (permalink)
Posts when passionate.
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

Alright, since everyone around me is giving me conflicting opinions i have decided to download w8 and test it for myself.

So far it runs three times the speed of windows XP, but i will not be completely convinced until i try out playing League of Legends on my laptop.

11-03-2012   #19 (permalink)
bitch pls
Special
Games

One of my WoW guildies said W8 will get you into games much faster, but after that it'll run about the same.

I have raids this weekend so I can't afford to have to reinstall and reconfigure everything, I'll probably upgrade next Wednesday.

11-03-2012   #20 (permalink)
Posts when passionate.
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

Installing w8 took me 1 hour,along with everything i had to do afterwards, if that helps in any way.