Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
11-03-2012   #21 (permalink)
bitch pls
Special
Games
Asda StoryDragon SagaEmil Chronicle OnlineLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

Queen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Queen Send a message via Skype™ to Queen
IGN: Allure
Class: Priest
Level: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riolu
Installing w8 took me 1 hour,along with everything i had to do afterwards, if that helps in any way.
I have to reinstall/download WoW, all my interface addons, Mumble+Ventrilo, and my Drivers. I think I'm looking at 6 hours alone for the download, and I'm going out today. I won't be home until 4 pm tomorrow, and my raid starts at 7:45. It's a big of a time crunch, I'd probably have to start now and prep all the .exe's on my external. I think the drivers took me about two hours?

Who knows, maybe I'll try to squeeze it in if I can get my damned warlcok to 87.

Diablo III North America Glacea#1307
League of Legends Queen Nimera, Level 20
New Leaf/Pokemon XY 4511 - 0825 - 1589

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
11-03-2012   #22 (permalink)
bitch pls
Special
Games

Queen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond repute

Double post blah blah. Pointing out a few things:

Windows Ultimate can save settings, the "only W7 Home can save settings" is utter crap. I have absolutely everything still.

I don't get the learning curve? I figured it out in like 3 minutes, showed my dad, and he agreed it doesn't look hard to master.

I mean, I'm sure there's little nuances to learn. It's easy to get to the "old" start menu and pin things everywhere. I just can't.

Spent all the time backing up info for nothing zzzz

11-03-2012   #23 (permalink)
too much effort
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterAtlantica OnlineGlobal AgendaUrban Rivals

WhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to behold
IGN: WhatThePho
Class: Maniac
Guild: Mooglets v1.1

I'm more excited for the 3rd party apps that can bring better experience for W8. Pinning the email app is pretty useful already, and netflix app runs decently. Even though there isn't a start menu, it's not that difficult to open apps... the entire Metro mode is essentially softwares and apps anyways..

11-03-2012   #24 (permalink)
bitch pls
Special
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePho
I'm more excited for the 3rd party apps that can bring better experience for W8. Pinning the email app is pretty useful already, and netflix app runs decently. Even though there isn't a start menu, it's not that difficult to open apps... the entire Metro mode is essentially softwares and apps anyways..
Pretty much my thoughts. It's just as easy to get to all my programs. Like, everyone was saying it took ages for them to get used to it, the interface is so different.

My 47 year old dad understood it as soon as I showed him. "Go here, search, oh look it's like the old start menu. You can pin stuff this way, and here's how you get to the desktop, and you can pin to the taskbar and start..."

My god. All the hype for awfulness and it's just not? Like I actually really like it, the movement and transition is sleek and I feel just as comfortable with Win8 as classic Windows (start menu) and I've had it for literally maybe 10 minutes.

Emphasizing that ANY windows version (as far as 7 goes) CAN KEEP all their programs. God I feel like an idiot now >_>

11-03-2012   #25 (permalink)
Posts when passionate.
Games
Battle of the ImmortalsFlyFFGrand ChaseLa Tale
Awards Facebook Fan

Riolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to Riolu
Xfire: riolu

Well i have tried playing league of legends and i have mixed feelings about w8 now. On one hand all my commands are sluggish on the game, ping can spike to 120 from 70 easily, without any obvious reason why, im getting no random ingame screen freezes though, which were common in winxp, and when using spectator mode i have no ****ing lag at all everything runs unrealistically smooth, which was a lagfest in win7 and winxp.

help?

11-03-2012   #26 (permalink)
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Trickster OnlineLeague of LegendsMapleStoryWonderKing Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

Tardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond repute

Windows8 shouldn't be causing your ping to spike since that's all internet and location.
(Unless I am wrong.)

11-03-2012   #27 (permalink)
Posts when passionate.
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

Riolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant future

Well it feels exactly as if i had a torrent running, but i dont even have a torrent program installed. Whats even more strange is that when i was downloading LoL my download speed was capped at 600kb/s although my max download speed is 1mb/s.

Everything else feels like its running a lot faster in win8 but its just these sluggish commands.

Its really strange.

11-03-2012   #28 (permalink)
bitch pls
Special
Games

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13581-LeatrixLatencyFix.html

It works for more than just WoW, it's an installable program that assists in lowering ping. It's just so commonly used for WoW where lat spikes can cause a wipe during a raid, depending on who gets it.

Leatrix.com

The non-WoWInterface version if you're weird, but literally the same exact thing.

Ping is connetion, FPS lag is your system iirc. It goes down to processing speed, graphics memory, dedicated/integrated, etc (I think, don't quote me)

11-03-2012   #29 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler
Games
Trickster OnlineLa Tale
Awards Wandering Eye

Niata is a jewel in the roughNiata is a jewel in the roughNiata is a jewel in the roughNiata is a jewel in the rough
IGN: Niata
Class: Soul Master to_soulmaster
Level: 400
Guild: Bloodline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare

Windows Ultimate can save settings, the "only W7 Home can save settings" is utter crap. I have absolutely everything still.
Sorry about this then.

I tried to upgrade my Windows 7 Professional to Windows 8 Pro, and it didn't work 'cause I had the wrong version, exactly that, what is described in Windows 8 FAQ. The only option I had was doing a complete new installation.
>:

11-03-2012   #30 (permalink)
No good next to diamonds
Games
Neo SteamValkyrie SkyTrickster OnlineTribal Wars

JoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud of
IGN: Pinfire
Level: 50

Quote:
I think core i5 with 4 GB ram can handle it, and I have no problem upgrading memory anyway.

It's likely resource intensive if you have like, no memory. How people get by with less than 4 GB is beyond me. But that's assuming that I know all the issues is based on the memory users have, but I honestly don't forsee myself having issues. I have a pretty good system for what I do (World of Warcraft, Internet, and Office)

I'm leaning more towards upgrading, though if I wanted to go back, how would I boot from USB without BIOS?

I'm nice to my system but my parents had a rootkit virus and I wanted to smash my head on the wall. I still have concerns about bad things traveling to me via the router, perhaps upgrading to Win8 would make me feel more secure in that aspect.

I've also tried to get them to let me reformat their system but they'll hear nothing of it. They don't even know how to update virus scanners, let alone run them.
They replaced the BIOS with a certificate program meaning every program that starts before the OS must have a signed security certificate. Its called UEFI, but I forget what the entire acronym. I assume you could still boot from USB if the program has the security certificate.

11-03-2012   #31 (permalink)
Posts when passionate.
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

Quote:
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13581-LeatrixLatencyFix.html

It works for more than just WoW, it's an installable program that assists in lowering ping. It's just so commonly used for WoW where lat spikes can cause a wipe during a raid, depending on who gets it.

Leatrix.com

The non-WoWInterface version if you're weird, but literally the same exact thing.

Ping is connetion, FPS lag is your system iirc. It goes down to processing speed, graphics memory, dedicated/integrated, etc (I think, don't quote me)
That program fixed it, i can't thank you enough! I'm hellbent on keeping w8 now.

11-03-2012   #32 (permalink)
bitch pls
Special
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyDivision
They replaced the BIOS with a certificate program meaning every program that starts before the OS must have a signed security certificate. Its called UEFI, but I forget what the entire acronym. I assume you could still boot from USB if the program has the security certificate.
I'm really content with 8, so I don't forsee having to go back to 7. Info is still helpful, regardless.

Glad the program helped out there, Riolu. It literally cuts my ms latency in-game from 100 to about 20. I live in Mass to a NY server too, Leatrix just streamlines how your computer connects or something fancy like that.

11-03-2012   #33 (permalink)
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games

Tardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond reputeTardar has a reputation beyond repute

You guys are making me want to install win8. ;o; It'll have to wait until Thanksgiving break for me though because I need all the time that I just don't really have right now.

11-03-2012   #34 (permalink)
Posts when passionate.
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

Random ping spikes are back.

11-03-2012   #35 (permalink)
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riolu
Random ping spikes are back.
Out of curiosity, are you playing Twisted Treeline?

(Also, as per the program instructions, you have to either restart your computer or wireless card every time you turn it (the program) on/off).

11-03-2012   #36 (permalink)
Posts when passionate.
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

The program installed, do i have to turn it off/on every time i want to play? I didn't see any function like that.

And no, i haven't played TT.

11-03-2012   #37 (permalink)
twerk
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games

Just double click the .exe that you installed it with and see if it says it's installed or not. Otherwise just wait some? You've had it for only a day so I'm willing to bet it's something else and not Win8. But of course, I could be wrong.

11-03-2012   #38 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Blade & SoulCabal OnlineChampions OnlineCombat Arms

Uncharted is a name known to allUncharted is a name known to allUncharted is a name known to allUncharted is a name known to allUncharted is a name known to allUncharted is a name known to all

iirc 32 bit = x86 and it's been like that since vista? or 7, cant remember and 32 means it supports up to 3.6 (?) gb of RAM
on windows 8 ill stay with 7, i like it and windows8 is like a giant smartphone or that's what i've been told

11-03-2012   #39 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

It runs better and faster compare to 7 and i'm only on a athlon X2 250
Seems to use lesser RAM.
Some apps that only hog on single core can now use both.
Tile mode (whatever you call that) is horrible.
Old MSN still works. (the tile mode messenger seems crappy)
Chrome in tile mode is bad, the tabs don't flush to the top of the screen. (the reason was probably for touch, makes it really horrible for mice)
Boot up is fast 10s or so on my SSD.
Restarts and shutdown is a chore now cause the menu is hidden in other menus. (horrible idea, will probably make batch files for it; the easiest way for me now is to ctr+alt+del and restart from there)
Upgrade assistant is great, no complicated stuff for non techies.
Upgrade came out bad for me cause the boot up time took 30s and i reinstalled again from scratch and it became 10s. (And i only chose personal files for my upgrade, not even the apps)
Desktop mode is great for multi monitors now, it has show icon only on active window. I no longer need 3rd party apps like multimon etc.

To skip the Hi introduction when you first logon press ctrl+alt+del then esc when the menu comes up, it'll login directly.

Overall i think it is a great OS, you can use the tile mode for leisure and desktop mode for work for a on-the-go device. But they really need to make the UI friendly as it isn't as easy to use if you're coming from windows 7.

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

Last edited by kag; 11-04-2012 at 01:18 AM.

11-04-2012   #40 (permalink)
Posts when passionate.
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jare
Otherwise just wait some? You've had it for only a day so I'm willing to bet it's something else and not Win8. But of course, I could be wrong.
The problem is that these ping spikes seem network-based.... so by my illogical thoughts there has to be a program w8 is using that's using my upload speed.

Edit: just played a game that went awesomely, no issues whatsoever.

Last edited by Riolu; 11-04-2012 at 02:04 AM.