Try 

League of Legends

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
06-13-2012   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker

Frank0115932 is on a distinguished road
Default Linux - Better than Windows?

Im actually a Linux user. im asking if anyone uses Linux on their PC?
Currently i am using OpenSUSE 12.1 in a dual boot with Windows 7.
The main reason i use Linux over Windows is one word: Adaptability. Why?
Because you can still run new programs on a old computer, you can do more than Windows, and you pay nada. i have used Linux since '09 (first distro i used was KNOPPIX 5 live cd) and still using the Penguin since then.
So, your 2 cents?

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
06-13-2012   #2 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

I use windows just because of one thing, games.
Most games are just programmed to work with windows sadly.
But the future looks great for inter platform games when they start using HTML5, OpenCL or other programming languages which isn't so platform specific.
Secondly Microsoft Office, not that i like it that much but everyone uses it. (And no, openoffice isn't good enough)

The only thing that can help Linux is a really good application market/distribution service.
I think some distros have already started with their own webstore.
Most people can't/won't switch due to some apps which they require, just like how some people won't switch to OSX.

I actually think chromeos was way more interesting, sadly the hardware support was minimal.

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

07-14-2012   #3 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker
Games
Iris OnlineVindictusEden EternalAika Online

Iyeru is on a distinguished road

I'm glad Gabe will be porting Source (and by extension Steam) natively to linux eventually. This will mean Vindictus, Half-Life series, Portal series, Team Fortress 2 will all be able to play on linux natively when that happens.

07-15-2012   #4 (permalink)
Static

Cornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyeru
I'm glad Gabe will be porting Source (and by extension Steam) natively to linux eventually. This will mean Vindictus, Half-Life series, Portal series, Team Fortress 2 will all be able to play on linux natively when that happens.
i am looking forward to this. some steam games run in wine, but not nearly enough. i don't quite understand why many games work but have broken shaders.

07-22-2012   #5 (permalink)
I am a girl. =)
Special
Games
AuditionCounter-Strike OnlineGunboundHabbo Hotel
Awards MoM AwardTwitter Fan

Shugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Shugi Send a message via Skype™ to Shugi
IGN: Penor
Xfire: shugix

Driver support on linux is horrible that is why. AMD has better support than Nvidia, but it's still not on par with Windows.

Steam: Shugi | Battle.net: Shugi#1454 | LoL.NA: xShugi | GW2: xShugi.3601

07-23-2012   #6 (permalink)
Planeswalker
ggFTW Star
Games
ElswordDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerPervert Award

RoflKnife has disabled reputation

Use both and do the stuff that one OS does better than the other for each OS.

THE GRASS IS GREENER ON BOTH SIDES.

09-04-2012   #7 (permalink)
Static

Cornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to all

linux is a horrible thing, or something.
Microsoft miseducates Best Buy on Linux | Software, Interrupted - CNET News
working at best buy sounds wonderful.

04-07-2013   #8 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker

Liemuan is on a distinguished road

I love to use windows.i can't use Linux.

04-08-2013   #9 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

It really depends what you need to use, i kind of like the concept of chromebooks that have everything saved on the cloud but offline media is one of the limitations.

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

04-10-2013   #10 (permalink)
ggFTW Fan

DanOam is on a distinguished road

Gentoo Linux / Windows 8 Pro in dual-boot, I've used Windows since I was little so I kind of grew up with that. I wouldn't say one OS is better than the other because this is something subjective.

The one and only reason I still run Windows is gaming, although I've managed to get the Steam client for Linux to work and even played some rounds of good ol Counter-strike 1.6.

I'm mostly on Gentoo because I like to be able to tweak every nut and bolt, this particular distro has a big learning curve and just installing it can take days with several attempts.

An interesting viddy about how Linux is built;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVpbFMhOAwE

Last edited by DanOam; 04-10-2013 at 08:41 AM.

05-23-2013   #11 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special
Awards MoM AwardPervert Award

Ethane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond repute
Class: NONE

I would use Linux if Comic Studio and Corel Painter were natively ported to it. But they're not, so I don't.