Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
06-11-2012   #1 (permalink)
bitch pls
Special
Games
Asda StoryDragon SagaEmil Chronicle OnlineLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerWandering EyeFacebook FanPervert Award

Queen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Queen Send a message via Skype™ to Queen
IGN: Tama Ashenstone
Class: SMN, SCH
Default Netbooks

So I'm tired of lugging my 17" laptop around for school. I was looking at chrome books first but they seem to lose a lot of functionality without wifi, and I would like office suite on it anyway.

400$ will be my spending limit unless something is really worth it. Lightweight and battery life is a must, but as long as it can last at least 5 hours on net browsing and word processing, I'll be content.

Okay graphics card would be nice, but I mean, I don't want to be too picky.

I tried to look for some on my own, but in all honesty I'm not sure what I really should be looking for.

Planned programs are Firefox/Thunderbird (maybe chrome instead but I still run into browsing issue with websites below the curve), microsoft office suite, and like msn and Skype for just text chat.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Diablo III North America Glacea#1307
League of Legends Queen Nimera, Level 20
New Leaf/Pokemon XY 4511 - 0825 - 1589

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
06-11-2012   #2 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Trickster OnlineBright ShadowDivina OnlinePhantom Brave Online

Recette has a reputation beyond reputeRecette has a reputation beyond reputeRecette has a reputation beyond reputeRecette has a reputation beyond reputeRecette has a reputation beyond reputeRecette has a reputation beyond reputeRecette has a reputation beyond reputeRecette has a reputation beyond reputeRecette has a reputation beyond reputeRecette has a reputation beyond reputeRecette has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Lesliesun
Class: Merchant to_soulmaster
Level: 15xx
Guild: Depraved

Netbooks are all about battery life and portability. They mostly have integrated graphic cards which will allow basic but that is gaming. There are few with dedicated graphic cards, such as the ASUS eee 1000HV, but apart from being low end cards, they are also more expensive, by that 450$ to 500$ or more.

There is a bunch of recent netbooks reviews in this and this link.

I have bought Aspires Minis twice, most recently this year, mainly because it tends to be the cheapest option (it is under 350$) around while offering decent performance and battery life. I have also used Dell, HP, and eee netbooks, although they tend to be slightly or more expensive while offering basically the same thing.

Design would be another criteria, but that is personal opinion strictly. I personally prefer Dell, followed by eee.

Recette - Witch 400 | EmiriTachibana - Diva 400 | SakuraHiiragi - Champion 35x | AnaJessicaAyano - Soul Master 26x | LeslieSun - Witch 26x

Bye Bright Shadow Japan, I will miss you all and my bunch of characters very much ~~

06-11-2012   #3 (permalink)
bitch pls
Special
Games

Queen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond reputeQueen has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I was typing on my phone in my break hoping to get some replies by the time I got home. I breezed through and crammed more info than needed to be safe.

I've seen the battery life varying from what I've read, but I've also seen netbooks with stupid good graphics cards (for what they're meant to be used for)

I mean, as long as I can multi-tab and able to run some processors, I'll like it. I just hate writing by hand and computing comes easy to me so a netbook feels like the natural solution for me.

I found the second site you linked and they seem to be quite over the quality I'm looking for, but I'll look around those some more now that I've had the time. I'm just not sure the minimum specs that I should be looking for, and from there obviously I'll want a bit over the minimum.

The most for gaming I'd do is likely install TO just to chat, but that's merely a luxury and by no means a deal breaker.

Edit: Basically narrowed it down to a min of 2gigs of ram, reading that 1gig sucks for W7 on netbooks so far.

Decided to browse Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834215382
Meets 2gb requirement, but no reviews

And then a bunch with a 2gb max:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0%20-%20%24300

;o;

Last edited by Queen; 06-11-2012 at 07:50 PM.

06-11-2012   #4 (permalink)
I am a girl. =)
Special
Games
AuditionCounter-Strike OnlineGunboundHabbo Hotel
Awards MoM AwardTwitter Fan

Shugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Shugi Send a message via Skype™ to Shugi
IGN: Penor
Xfire: shugix

Wait about 2weeks to 1 month. For AMD's new trinity APU to be in most stores. It can be recognized by the processor being called A-Series-4xxx. If you want it now you can go for a llano which is A-Series-3xxx. They are very energy efficient and quite powerful.

Steam: Shugi | Battle.net: Shugi#1454 | LoL.NA: xShugi | GW2: xShugi.3601

06-11-2012   #5 (permalink)
bitch pls
Special
Games

Alright, I'm in no real hurry honestly, I just wanted to kind of get the ball rolling in terms of looking for one. I have until the end of July to order it so it can be here mid August at least.

Would this just be found somewhere like Best Buy? :u Assuming it falls more or less into my price range.

06-11-2012   #6 (permalink)
I am a girl. =)
Special
Games

Shugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it should be found in Best Buy. They don't have any yet to my knowledge. Only some online stores carry them right now.

If you're willing to spend just a little bit more, you can get Trinity + Dedicated card. With the new AMD drivers you can actually turn off the dedicated card completely and just use the APU so it falls back as a portable energy efficient device.

06-11-2012   #7 (permalink)
bitch pls
Special
Games

I'd be okay with the 400-500 range as long as it'd really be worth it. I just wanted to know where I look for them to start popping up, and to get my options going while I hunt around.

Thanks for the tip on that, I'll keep my eye out.

08-03-2012   #8 (permalink)
bitch pls
Special
Games

So with tax free weekend coming soon here in Massachusetts, the hunt is on. Im looking at some options at Best Buy. Not sure if I know what the actual name of the netbook Shugi so I don't know how to find it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+-+1...&skuId=5768161

Actually I lied that's the only one with 2 gigs ram not sold out online.

edit: added non-mobile website

Last edited by Queen; 08-03-2012 at 12:49 PM.

08-03-2012   #9 (permalink)
Static

Cornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to all

i have a question aswell, but i'm not trying to hijack the thread.

isn't the c-60 a really slow processor? why would one choose a c-60 netbook over an atom netbook? i'm looking to get a low-end netbook myself, which is why i ask.

08-03-2012   #10 (permalink)
bitch pls
Special
Games

So now that I'm home, I copied it and can't find any reviews, really.

Is this a really new netbook? I'm mostly concerned about the processor in it. In most reviews I've read, it's always the processor that's the downfall.

08-03-2012   #11 (permalink)
I am a girl. =)
Special
Games

I think that's a last gen APU, Ontario. You can look at the graphics card to be sure. It should be 7000-series. It's not bad, but C-60 is decent.

This is the only trinity I saw on their website. Lenovo - 15.6" IdeaPad Laptop - 8GB Memory - 750GB Hard Drive - Gray Metal - P585 - 4575H4U

I didn't see any Llano.

Last edited by Shugi; 08-03-2012 at 04:32 PM.

08-03-2012   #12 (permalink)
bitch pls
Special
Games

I went to Amazon to get reviews on the Aspire One, and they're generally pretty good. I think it's probably what I'll get, at first I didn't like the blue Best Buy has but now I'm kind of attached to it, ha. They have darker colors on Amazon if the BB one sells out of Tax-Free Weekend :l It's so close to school it might.

Thanks for the help, guys.