Elsword
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Elsword

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
05-28-2012   #1 (permalink)
Static

Cornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to all
Default online antivirus?

is there any reliable site you can upload a file to and have them scan it with multiple antivirus programs?

this is more an issue of convenience. i came across a suspicious file a few days ago and the checks i ran didn't turn up anything strange, but the time involved in scanning with multiple programs and then opening the file in a sandbox is more than i'd like to spend if i come across another one.

i'm not asking for something like dr. web, which while a good program doesn't really provide the kind of scan i'm looking for.

(i put this in the general discussion because it's really not a technical issue just a question)

Last edited by Cornflake; 05-28-2012 at 06:46 PM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
05-29-2012   #2 (permalink)
ggFTW Fan
Games
Trickster OnlineLa Tale
Awards Wandering Eye

Niata is a jewel in the roughNiata is a jewel in the roughNiata is a jewel in the roughNiata is a jewel in the rough
IGN: Niata
Class: Soul Master to_soulmaster
Level: 400
Guild: Bloodline

You looking for something like https://www.virustotal.com?

05-30-2012   #3 (permalink)
Static

Cornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niata
You looking for something like https://www.virustotal.com?
this is very much what i'm looking for. do you know how reliable it is? i tried to scan a file (which i know will show up with false positives in many scanners) and it just read the sha256 and told me, 'oh i scanned this 3 years ago, it's fine'.

the 30mb limit is also something that's a little troubling but will cover most files i'd want scanned anyway.

06-11-2012   #4 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Trickster OnlineBright ShadowDivina OnlinePhantom Brave Online

Recette has a reputation beyond reputeRecette has a reputation beyond reputeRecette has a reputation beyond reputeRecette has a reputation beyond reputeRecette has a reputation beyond reputeRecette has a reputation beyond reputeRecette has a reputation beyond reputeRecette has a reputation beyond reputeRecette has a reputation beyond reputeRecette has a reputation beyond reputeRecette has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Lesliesun
Class: Merchant to_soulmaster
Level: 15xx
Guild: Depraved

Barring any problems with your computer you can also simply scan the file or folder in Safe Mode, while some spyware and viruses are able to bypass the scans in normal mode, Safe Mode makes detection much easier, unless the virus was able to disrupt your detectors, at which point you want to make a full online scan, and not just a file scan, also in Safe Mode.

If you are really worried, I would isolate the file in a CD and delete it from your computer.

That said, what file is it? Some files come up as suspicious by detectors while they are not, so that can be confusing.

Recette - Witch 400 | EmiriTachibana - Diva 400 | SakuraHiiragi - Champion 35x | AnaJessicaAyano - Soul Master 26x | LeslieSun - Witch 26x

Bye Bright Shadow Japan, I will miss you all and my bunch of characters very much ~~

06-11-2012   #5 (permalink)
Jon
♥ 09/07/13 to INFINITY. ♥
Games
Trickster OnlineElswordWonderKing OnlineEden Eternal
Awards Admin AwardEvent WinnerEvents RegularGuide WriterWiki Task ForceWandering EyeArtifact HoarderPervert Award

Jon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond reputeJon has a reputation beyond repute

Here's another one:

http://virusscan.jotti.org/en

I always use this in combination with Virus Total when I download .exe files I am unsure of. Also, if the file has been scanned before, just select the option to re-scan. It'll do a full fresh re-scan for you.

06-20-2012   #6 (permalink)
Static

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recette
Barring any problems with your computer you can also simply scan the file or folder in Safe Mode, while some spyware and viruses are able to bypass the scans in normal mode, Safe Mode makes detection much easier, unless the virus was able to disrupt your detectors, at which point you want to make a full online scan, and not just a file scan, also in Safe Mode.

If you are really worried, I would isolate the file in a CD and delete it from your computer.

That said, what file is it? Some files come up as suspicious by detectors while they are not, so that can be confusing.
i don't generally worry about files on my computer since i can just scan once then run them in a sandbox and watch what they're trying to do. it tends to be issues on friends' computers where i don't want to spend the usual amount of time i'd spend fixing my own problems and just want to locate/verify any suspicious files before leaving them there.

the file which was causing issues in my original post just had a very odd way of unpacking itself, but once unpacked didn't cause any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vith
Here's another one:

Jotti's malware scan

I always use this in combination with Virus Total when I download .exe files I am unsure of. Also, if the file has been scanned before, just select the option to re-scan. It'll do a full fresh re-scan for you.
thanks, i did end up rescanning my test file and got the results i expected.