「 薬売り 」
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineEden EternalMapleStoryRagnarok Online

Kusuriuri has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Kusuriuri Send a message via Skype™ to Kusuriuri
Default Looking for a router

Lol hi.

So, I'm pretty sure our router fried yesterday after a spontaneous power outage, as I no longer have any wireless connection to my desktop or ipod, but the internet is perfectly fine bypassing the router and connecting directly to the modem. Yes, I've tried resetting, etc.

We're most likely going to get a new one at some point, and I want to know ahead of time whether my desktop card may cause conflicts. I have this in my desktop right now, and was wondering what sort of routers would be recommended that shouldn't have an issue with it. I've had some people suggest Netgear (specifically N600 and N300) to me, but that was before I remembered the card, and reviews seem mixed, so idk :T I'm doing the research this time before dad gets some other derpy router on a whim because it's cheaper (the fried one is a Belkin F5D8230-4, go ahead, laugh).

As a side note, I do like to multiplayer on games sometimes (Terraria, Magicka, etc), and the previous router made this a hell and a half to do, even with port forwarding, so if that could be put into consideration too, that would be great >:

モノノ怪

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
05-05-2012   #2 (permalink)
Static

Cornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to all

i've been pretty happy with d-link routers for the most part. they seem to have a poor router firewall but i have a personal one for that. the router's menu page is straight forward enough and port forwarding has never been a problem.

they are, like your previous router, quite susceptible to power surges. i've had two fry in the past 5 years.

05-05-2012   #3 (permalink)
200%♥
Games
Trickster OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Facebook FanPervert Award

LauraMix has disabled reputation

I would go with Linksys, since I rarely had any problems with it. With the exception of disconnections. But other that, It's all right to me.

"There is no Real ending. It's just the place where you stop the story." -Frank Herbert

05-05-2012   #4 (permalink)
I am a girl. =)
Special
Games
AuditionCounter-Strike OnlineGunboundHabbo Hotel
Awards MoM AwardTwitter Fan

Shugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Shugi Send a message via Skype™ to Shugi
IGN: Penor
Xfire: shugix

They're mostly the same with like one or two exceptions. I don't know all of them offhand, but Cisco is definitely one of the better brands. The others you see in stores should be similar in performance.

In the future use a power bar so that your electronics don't break during power outages. I personally have two of those home theatre ones for just my computer + related electronics.

Steam: Shugi | Battle.net: Shugi#1454 | LoL.NA: xShugi | GW2: xShugi.3601

05-05-2012   #5 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

if you want you can actually try to look for another power adaptor which has the same voltage and connector.

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

Last edited by kag; 05-06-2012 at 02:42 AM.

05-06-2012   #6 (permalink)
「 薬売り 」
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineEden EternalMapleStoryRagnarok Online

Kusuriuri has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Kusuriuri Send a message via Skype™ to Kusuriuri

Yeah I think we had ours for only a few years. I remember it being a complete pain in the ass to set up, though partially because of my wireless card too.

Anyway mom bought one while she was at the store today, which I'm a bit disgruntled about because I wanted to have the chance to look them up first and see the general consensus about them before actually buying one. She ended up with the Linksys E900, which I'm sure was due to the $39 Walmart price tag. Mom's one of those that likes to buy the cheapest option available, even if cheapest sometimes means shoddy and low quality. I'm looking around now to see how reviews are for it before I install it, but gd it aggravates me to hell when she just buys electronic shit without doing any damn research.

Edit; Welp, all of our devices like my ipod and mom's kindle connect just fine to the router. So I went to go try and connect my computer, and while it says it's connected to the network, I don't actually have any connection. Can't say I'm surprised, considering all of the internet troubles I'm always having.

モノノ怪

Last edited by Kusuriuri; 05-06-2012 at 03:30 PM.