Try 

Elsword

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
04-14-2012   #1 (permalink)
♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪
Games
LuniaVindictusS4 LeagueDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerMoM AwardImage SleuthFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Mega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: MegaBoy740
Class: Support lt_mage
Level: 30
Guild: Prisma
Default Looking for new TV~

(again)
/forum/computers-technology/85647-looking-new-tv.html

My family got our taxes back for this year and we can finally afford a new TV! The one we're using is still the 55" big screen projection TV from like 1998/99 iirc.

I don't know exactly what has changed in newer TV's since I made that last thread, so I'm asking again for an up to date answer

My family also said they are wanting one with wifi ready capabilities "smart TV", and we still want one that's 60+ inches. It doesn't HAVE to be 3D, but it can be as long as it doesn't jack the price up. We're looking at about $2000~$2500 to spend on it

Any help will be much appreciated!

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
04-14-2012   #2 (permalink)
I am a girl. =)
Special
Games
AuditionCounter-Strike OnlineGunboundHabbo Hotel
Awards MoM AwardTwitter Fan

Shugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Shugi Send a message via Skype™ to Shugi
IGN: Penor
Xfire: shugix

Wait for a sale -> Buy cheapest one with Wifi. They're pretty much all the same. You won't notice any difference unless you want 3D or some other feature.

Steam: Shugi | Battle.net: Shugi#1454 | LoL.NA: xShugi | GW2: xShugi.3601

04-14-2012   #3 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

smart tvs are not impressive due to the lack of integration and content (yes, even for Apple TV)
If you have to get one make sure you are really comfortable with the remote.

I do suggest getting a 3D TV if it isn't too expensive, unless you really don't care about the feature [if you just watch TV]. (It is more future proof for maybe PS4? Xbox 480? Wii U?)

If you aren't in a hurry you can always wait for 4K TVs and buy the 1080 so it'll be slightly cheaper.

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

04-14-2012   #4 (permalink)
♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪
Games
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerMoM AwardImage SleuthFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Mega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond reputeMega has a reputation beyond repute

What's a 4K TV? o_o

And yes it will be used for PS3/Wii/360 for now~ I've just kept hearing people complain about the glasses with the TVs though.

04-14-2012   #5 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega
What's a 4K TV? o_o

And yes it will be used for PS3/Wii/360 for now~ I've just kept hearing people complain about the glasses with the TVs though.
4K TV are just double the resolution of 1080 (2160), most people can't tell the difference from far. So you don't really need it.
It is like retina display vs a normal display.

Well you can still watch normal TV on it, 3D doesn't have to be active.
But if you don't intend to get new consoles or any 3D content at all then it won't matter to you.

Note that there are active and passive 3D

Last edited by kag; 04-14-2012 at 08:27 PM.

04-16-2012   #6 (permalink)
♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪
Games

Went to Costco yesterday to look at TV's and found these 4.

I have to say the new 4 color Sharp TV ones look to have the brightest and clearest picture out of them.

Also Costco will add 3 years extra warranty when you buy the TV + you have 90 days to return it if you don't like it.

04-17-2012   #7 (permalink)
wat?
Games
Anarchy OnlineAionAtlantica OnlineFinal Fantasy XIV
Awards Facebook Fan

DarkRayne has a spectacular aura aboutDarkRayne has a spectacular aura aboutDarkRayne has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to DarkRayne
IGN: Ryoko Nee
Class: Paladin lt_sorcerer
Level: i93
Guild: The Kingfishers
Xfire: d4rthsid

Chances are none of the tvs on display there were optimized, as in having the proper color, brightness, contrast settings, etc.

04-17-2012   #8 (permalink)
I am a girl. =)
Special
Games

Shugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond reputeShugi has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say avoid edge lit LCDs all together. Overtime the edge lighting becomes visible.

You only need to really consider size and features you want, then aim for lowest price. I don't think you will notice much difference if you calibrate it.

The TVs you picked are almost all the same. Quattron is back lit I believe.

04-26-2012   #9 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule Fighter

ForTheCity is a jewel in the roughForTheCity is a jewel in the roughForTheCity is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shugi
Wait for a sale -> Buy cheapest one with Wifi. They're pretty much all the same. You won't notice any difference unless you want 3D or some other feature.
What does a TV was wifi do? lets you stream shows like on hulu, etc?

Also last time my parents got a TV at costco the color was horrible. We tried to optimize it but we couldn't get it to the correct coloring. We just ended up keeping the old TV cause the color was way better.

04-26-2012   #10 (permalink)
I am a girl. =)
Special
Games

Depends on the TV, some let you browse the web others just let you stream youtube videos.

04-26-2012   #11 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule Fighter

ForTheCity is a jewel in the roughForTheCity is a jewel in the roughForTheCity is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shugi
Depends on the TV, some let you browse the web others just let you stream youtube videos.
Feel like I'm living in the past. I would rather stream youtube vids on my computer.

04-26-2012   #12 (permalink)
♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪
Games

How would you know if it has an internet type of thing so we could browse or watch youtube videos? o_o Do they have some kinda term for that on the box or something?

04-26-2012   #13 (permalink)
No good next to diamonds
Games
Neo SteamValkyrie SkyTrickster OnlineTribal Wars

JoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud ofJoyDivision has much to be proud of
IGN: Pinfire
Level: 50

Quote:
How would you know if it has an internet type of thing so we could browse or watch youtube videos? o_o Do they have some kinda term for that on the box or something?
Typically, they're called smart TVs. You can also look for the Wi-Fi label. Make sure it is Wi-Fi enabled, not Wi-Fi capable (these make you spend more). Each manufacturer has their own user interface. They vary from terrible to ok. No one is that good at it yet, but I believe LG and Samsung are leading the pack. However, some of their older models have downright terrible UIs.

Alternatively, you can buy a box (Roku, etc) that connects to an existing "dumb" TV and that will allow you browse applications such as Hulu, Netflix, etc. Roku boxes, when on sale, usually go for about 70 bucks.

04-26-2012   #14 (permalink)
Static

Cornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to all

Quote:
your best bet would just be looking at reviews for the model number online. someone will mention what capabilities it has.

04-26-2012   #15 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

The new samsung thin bezel looks good but expensive.
Samsung LED TV | Ultra Slim Bezel TVs

05-01-2012   #16 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Trickster OnlineGrand Chase
Awards Event WinnerFacebook Fan

Wendyfav3 is a jewel in the roughWendyfav3 is a jewel in the roughWendyfav3 is a jewel in the roughWendyfav3 is a jewel in the rough

I'v Notice that NO ONE mention Vizeo...

you guys should really look into those...
I don't got one but it VERY impressive...

I am planning to Buy one in the Future...

05-01-2012   #17 (permalink)
♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪
Games

Thanks for all the help guys, we actually bought a Sharp Aquos/Quattron 60 inch. It was supposed to be $2000, but we got it for $1500 because it had been on display for 2 months.

On top of that we got 5 years of warranty on it

I'm not an expert on HDTV's obviously, but that 4th yellow color in it makes it look so much better than my neighbor's TV

05-02-2012   #18 (permalink)
wat?
Games
Anarchy OnlineAionAtlantica OnlineFinal Fantasy XIV
Awards Facebook Fan

DarkRayne has a spectacular aura aboutDarkRayne has a spectacular aura aboutDarkRayne has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to DarkRayne
IGN: Ryoko Nee
Class: Paladin lt_sorcerer
Level: i93
Guild: The Kingfishers
Xfire: d4rthsid

Except that 4th color thing is a total gimmick lol

05-02-2012   #19 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Trickster OnlineGrand Chase
Awards Event WinnerFacebook Fan

Wendyfav3 is a jewel in the roughWendyfav3 is a jewel in the roughWendyfav3 is a jewel in the roughWendyfav3 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Thanks for all the help guys, we actually bought a Sharp Aquos/Quattron 60 inch. It was supposed to be $2000, but we got it for $1500 because it had been on display for 2 months.

On top of that we got 5 years of warranty on it

I'm not an expert on HDTV's obviously, but that 4th yellow color in it makes it look so much better than my neighbor's TV
hey you think you can take a Picture of it and share it with us ?

cuz it SOUND cool but does it LOOK cool lolz...?

05-03-2012   #20 (permalink)
♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪
Games

I have no idea if this will work, but I'll try haha. I only have my Evo 3D for a Camera around here.

It looks like it took pretty good pictures, but it's still much clearer seeing it with your own eyes.

(Using Tales of Graces f for an example since I was the most blown away with it's colors )

And yes the pre rendered / anime / cartoon stuff looks the best. Live TV and stuff kinda gets pixelated at times and of course real life isn't that colorful lol.

EDIT:

I found a picture I had taken from our old TV while I was playing through the game. It looks so horrible now @_@...

Last edited by Mega; 05-03-2012 at 12:35 AM.