LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
07-29-2011   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Awards Facebook Fan

eicellos will become famous soon enougheicellos will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to eicellos
Default Hair Straighteners

GHD: y/n?
Or does anyone have any suggestions on what hair straightener to get, or what straighteners you guys use personally? ^^

I've been considering getting a GHD since it's the most easily available and seems to be the most popular, but I'm wondering whether or not it's overrated. Plus I've got really thin asian hair so it'd probably get damaged really easily, and I'm wondering if the ghd is suited towards my hair.

My hair's just slightly wavy and it's fairly thin, with the exception of some strands of hair which are damaged from blowdrying =o= I suppose this means that I don't really need the high temperatures, yeah?

I've googled a bit and many sources point to Solia/Sedu, but I'd want want to not buy online, if possible ><

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
07-29-2011   #2 (permalink)
Snow White
Special
Games
ACE OnlineAir RivalsCosmic BreakGunZ
Awards Event WinnerPervert Award

Ayumi has a reputation beyond reputeAyumi has a reputation beyond reputeAyumi has a reputation beyond reputeAyumi has a reputation beyond reputeAyumi has a reputation beyond reputeAyumi has a reputation beyond reputeAyumi has a reputation beyond reputeAyumi has a reputation beyond reputeAyumi has a reputation beyond reputeAyumi has a reputation beyond reputeAyumi has a reputation beyond repute

If you have thin and damaged hair, I really don't recommend you to use one. But if you absolutely want to, please promise me that you'll use products to protect your hair against the heat. You can buy things to put on right before using the iron.

Either way, it sounds like you want one that doesn't get too hot, just hot enough to straighten it up. The problem with the newer ones is that they're always so hot, way more than necessary. Make sure you buy one with adjustable temperature so you can test it on the lowest settings. As for brand, I don't really know since my hair is naturally straight and I only use one for my bangs when they go wild, lol.

Hm, maybe you can try one of those mini-irons? I have one for my bangs. It depends on how long your hair is though, but since it's so small, it doesn't hold as much heat and I like to believe it's way more healthy on your hair than a regular sized one.

07-29-2011   #3 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Awards Facebook Fan

Thank you for your response~ ^-^

Yush I'll definitely be getting some sort of heat protectant :3 I think my hair's naturally thin though o_o; Although there're random strands which are thick and wavy, which I assume is due to damage from blowdrying @_@

Ah, yeah, it's not really for straightening all of my hair, mainly for styling bits and straightening the ends ^^ I was looking into getting a smaller one since it would be easy to style smaller bits? o 3o Which one do you use, may I ask~?

07-29-2011   #4 (permalink)
Snow White
Special
Games

Ayumi has a reputation beyond reputeAyumi has a reputation beyond reputeAyumi has a reputation beyond reputeAyumi has a reputation beyond reputeAyumi has a reputation beyond reputeAyumi has a reputation beyond reputeAyumi has a reputation beyond reputeAyumi has a reputation beyond reputeAyumi has a reputation beyond reputeAyumi has a reputation beyond reputeAyumi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eicellos
Thank you for your response~ ^-^

Yush I'll definitely be getting some sort of heat protectant :3 I think my hair's naturally thin though o_o; Although there're random strands which are thick and wavy, which I assume is due to damage from blowdrying @_@

Ah, yeah, it's not really for straightening all of my hair, mainly for styling bits and straightening the ends ^^ I was looking into getting a smaller one since it would be easy to style smaller bits? o 3o Which one do you use, may I ask~?
Mine is called OBH Nordica. Not sure if it's sold outside Scandinavia though.. I actually don't think OBH is international. D:

You can probably find something similar, though. I actually bought a volume iron from OBH, and it's amazing. My hair is quite long (almost past my butt) which makes it very heavy and it looks a lot more thin/flat. It's pretty tiny too and might be a good idea if you have flat/thin hair? It's not that damaging either because you only use it on the top hair for 2-3 seconds instead of the entire hair. The best of all, it lasts! I no longer have to bring a brush or comb to keep my hair puffy during the day.

http://www.beautynet.se/shop/8798/ar...pic-65511d.jpg

07-29-2011   #5 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Awards Facebook Fan

O_O that pic, it's a straightener?! With the jagged bits? o__o;;

07-29-2011   #6 (permalink)
/╲╭( ͡ ͡ ͜ʖ ͡ ͡)╮╱\
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineProject BlackoutROHAN: Blood FeudWonderKing Online
Awards Event WinnerSotW BeginnerLooterPervert Award

Shanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond reputeShanni has a reputation beyond repute
Level: butts

My hair is pretty thin also but I haven't experienced any damage from my straightener before. A heat protectant is a definitively a must.

I use Chi Thermal Protection Spray which works great and is about $13-15?

Edit: The picture above looks like a hair crimper?

08-05-2011   #7 (permalink)
Snow White
Special
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by eicellos
O_O that pic, it's a straightener?! With the jagged bits? o__o;;
No, it's the volume iron thing I was talking about. :3

08-10-2011   #8 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler

Kyouria will become famous soon enoughKyouria will become famous soon enough

I use a Korean brand, magic straightener from Create. It works great and includes a dial that goes as hot as 400 degrees but I usually tone it down to 250~300. The only con is that you can't curl your hair with it more than a single curl in or out or to the side. I have a separate curling iron for that. I'm not sure if you can buy it in the US though..

Always check online reviews for any beauty product! More often than not, you'll find reviews online that will help you.

- Use heat protectant spray or lotion. I'm not a fan of using TOO much products so I sometimes skip this. OR just apply to tips of hair.. (using Korean product that's liquidy, or sometimes Redken).
- Deep condition your hair once every week or every other week as necessary. Tried to use olive oil and mayonnaise as people recommended, but I wasn't a fan of those. I tried Aussie's 3 minute miracle and so far, it's okay! Used it twice and it makes my hair feel really soft. Even after you wash it out; even after it dries. Online reviews for Aussie is pretty good so I gave it a shot. It's cheap too.
- Use good shampoo and conditioner. I think it depends on your hair type as well as you. Some products work better for some than others, so experiment until you find products that work for you. I heard the effectiveness gets less as your hair gets used to the products and that switching every once in a while is recommended. I don't know how valid that statement is, however. I've used a bunch in the past and currently, trying out Tresseme.
- Lay off on the heat products. Give your hair a break every once in a while. C: Try not to use heat products (hair dryer, straightener, curling irons) every day. Let your hair air dry (towel squeeze hair dry).

I straighten my hair every other day, sometimes every other 3 days. My hair is pretty soft/shiny >__< And I've dyed my hair once about 2 months ago. I think the "straighten hair too much - > damaged hair" is kind of a misconception. Then again, it just might be my hair that can handle more. My friend for instance, her hair gets fried really easily so she has to be careful how hot the iron is, and how often she heat styles her hair.

You could also consider a magic perm (straighten perm)~ lasts a good few months. Not much damage in my experience - both when I've gone to salons and at-home chemical products.

08-14-2011   #9 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Awards Facebook Fan

^ Thank you! C: Ah, seems like ghd is the best option since it seems that everything else will have to be purchased online in my position :c

And I'm not really going for my hair to be pin-straight, just the the long parts and to sort of volumize my shorter layers xD;

@Ayumi
Oh! I've seen one of those in a video before and I was sitting there going 'what the heck is that' o 3o~

09-22-2011   #10 (permalink)
i's cool guy
Special
Games
Aika OnlineAlliance of Valiant ArmsAllodsCombat Arms

flaris has a spectacular aura aboutflaris has a spectacular aura aboutflaris has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to flaris
Xfire: flariss

i used some 30 dollar conair piece of crap i bought at walmart and it worked fine. as for the best price for your dollar, i'd recommend a chi.