ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Beauty, Fashion, Fitness & Health (http://ggftw.com/forum/beauty-fashion-fitness-health/)
-   -   Back pain (http://ggftw.com/forum/beauty-fashion-fitness-health/98828-back-pain.html)

moffit 07-06-2011 12:43 PM

Back pain

I've somehow managed to mess up my back, to the point where right now looking down and leaning forward are things I question myself whether it's worth it. I just spent 10 hours in bed carefully turning from side to side to sleep, but I can't do that indefinitely until it gets better. It's all focused in my neck, shoulders and upper back, above the shoulder blades.

Anyone have ideas to help? :py53:

Seru 07-06-2011 01:50 PM

It's better to get things like back pain taken care of early before it gets worse, so I'd advise to go see a chiropractor. Something you can do is to try and eat foods that are high in vitamin D, magnesium and vitamin B12 (cereals and fish are great sources for all three), these naturally help strengthen your bones and help prevent muscle spasms that can lead to back pain.

Hope you feel better soon moff <3

moffit 07-06-2011 02:16 PM

I definitely eat plenty of human kibble in the mornings. Trouble with a chiropractor is whether they take my insurance. My aunt is going to a massage/acupuncturist today and I've asked her to pick me up something on her pricing.

TheCourier 07-06-2011 05:20 PM

My back is screwed up too,but it's not my fault.You could try heating pads and/or guided imagery.I've found that those things help me relax,and relieve some of the tension.

Harlequin 07-06-2011 05:28 PM

For a temporary relief while you wait to set any sort of doctor/chiropractor appointment, my recommendation is Tiger Balm and ibuprofen; Tiger Balm being a local analgesic (pain reliever) and ibuprofen being internal. Obviously these aren't permanent solutions, and you should go see a doctor.

moffit 07-06-2011 05:42 PM

I hadn't heard of Tiger Balm before now. I might try out the patches first until I can see someone. I've been given a card for a woman that helps my aunt with her sciatic so I'm hoping she can help me. If that doesn't work I suppose I'll try a chiropractor.

kag 07-06-2011 08:24 PM

But look for a chiropractor first, and blockage of movement might be a sign of sprain, misaligned joints. It will not heal itself, but if after telling a doctor the movement restrictions and they tried to force it that direction you might want to change another professional as it might cause a dislocation.

If you want you to try fixing it yourself you can start by doing some stretches and see if it loosens the joint so you can ease your way back. If it hurts stop immediately, DO NOT FORCE.
For the stretches that you can do, i don't know which unless you know someone who is familiar with stretches. Know where is it locking up and try to stretch the major groups for up to 5-10 mins.
You can try this method La-Jin Therapy and Pai-Da Therapy.ppt it is a powerpoint. Stretches are from this guy E-TAO

This might help
Massage May Be Better Than Meds for Relieving Back Pain
NOTE: you need to find a really good one, someone who is trained and knows where the major ligaments and tendons are; not those kneading massage as it only eases and can't solve the problem.

IMPORTANT: If it hurts, don't force it.

Griever 07-06-2011 08:41 PM

If you're suffering from ANY sort of muscle or joint pain, the worst possible thing you can do for it is eat cereal. Eat lots of sardines, nuts, kale, collard greens and broccoli.)

Dairy and virtually all grains (yes, whole grains too) are horrible for your body.

Cut them out.

moffit 07-06-2011 10:49 PM

I've been doing very careful stretches, but stopping when I feel any pain would mean not moving at all really. I'll be looking into chiropractors too, but money is an issue. I do have insurance but it's like weeding through a haystack to find doctors that take it, have openings and are close to me.

I'm not likely to eat the majority of those foods on a daily basis. I love dairy and grains too much to give them up, too. I've not had trouble like this because of the foods I eat before, so I doubt that's the issue this time. Thanks for the input.

edit: I'm currently wearing a tiger balm patch at my spine just below my neck and oh my, I can actually turn my head and look down. So much love just for that.