ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Beauty, Fashion, Fitness & Health (http://ggftw.com/forum/beauty-fashion-fitness-health/)
-   -   Varsity Jackets (http://ggftw.com/forum/beauty-fashion-fitness-health/78505-varsity-jackets.html)

Goldie 07-02-2010 08:22 PM

Varsity Jackets

I'm thinking of buying my brother a varsity jacket since he got me an ipod for my birthday a couple months ago ;) I know his style and I think he would like something similar to this (the jacket J. Cole the rapper is wearing)

only jacket I can find which is similar is the

Nike NSW Varsity Jacket - Nike Sportswear - New Arrival - NSW Varsity Jacket

but I'm trying to find a varsity jacket with a hood kind of thing going on, any suggestions? Links to websites would be much appreciated :)

kuyaBaka 07-02-2010 09:49 PM

1) Why not just get one of his school's one? Show some campus pride 'n all? Maybe show-off to other people where you've come from (if it's worth showing-off).

2) Most varsity jackets are ... just the jackets. No hoods. What people do (at least that I know of) are to have a sweater or hoodie underneath the jacket and wear the hood like that.

Catharsis 07-02-2010 10:00 PM

Varsity jackets are usually worn for school spirit or, in the case of very exclusive schools, showing off your Ivy League Awesomeness. I reckon that's what the 'varsity' in the term is for.

Goldie 07-02-2010 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuyaBaka (Post 1281648)
1) Why not just get one of his school's one? Show some campus pride 'n all? Maybe show-off to other people where you've come from (if it's worth showing-off).

He goes to middle school (they don't get the jackets) and he likes to dress black tbh

what's so bad about wearing a varsity jacket a side from 'showing school spirit' IMO they look pretty nice :)

Mitchi 07-03-2010 01:07 PM

Varsity Jackets (I've always heard them called "Letter jackets" or "Letterman Jackets" where I'm from) are awesome. They're great for wearing in cold weather since they're very warm and comfy. That being said, you don't have to wear one from your school...my mom has one from Michigan state that she got in a garage sale (never even been to michigan).

It's kinda hard to find them with hoods, since it's not a standard design, and when they do, they usually are zippered hoods (ones with a zipper running halfway through them) so that they can lay flat on the back when unzipped. Keep in mind though, letter jackets can get very expensive. I was looking for one online (wanted one that looked like Soul Eater's) and custom ones can be around $150+ -_-

Try searching thrift shops for nice ones that are inexpensive.

kuyaBaka 07-03-2010 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchi (Post 1282029)

Nice 'n vintage. Love thrift stores. You can find almost anything in 'em for really cheap. It's like a marketplace of a garage sale!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldie (Post 1281653)
He goes to middle school (they don't get the jackets) and he likes to dress black tbh

what's so bad about wearing a varsity jacket a side from 'showing school spirit' IMO they look pretty nice :)

Oh, then haha.
I never said there's anything wrong with showing school spirit. I made purple one of my staple ensemble palates in favor of being prideful of my school (where the school colors are purple and gold).

Goldie 07-04-2010 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchi (Post 1282029)
Varsity Jackets (I've always heard them called "Letter jackets" or "Letterman Jackets" where I'm from) are awesome. They're great for wearing in cold weather since they're very warm and comfy. That being said, you don't have to wear one from your school...my mom has one from Michigan state that she got in a garage sale (never even been to michigan).

It's kinda hard to find them with hoods, since it's not a standard design, and when they do, they usually are zippered hoods (ones with a zipper running halfway through them) so that they can lay flat on the back when unzipped. Keep in mind though, letter jackets can get very expensive. I was looking for one online (wanted one that looked like Soul Eater's) and custom ones can be around $150+ -_-

Thank you ;)

and my bro is way too into trends :/ he sees people like Drake on TV wearing the Varsity Jackets as a style and he wants one :py35:

Vaizado 07-06-2010 04:46 PM

I thought people only get those for their school when they play for a team >_>
would be awkward to wear one if you didn't lol
hence the "varsity" for varsity or junior varsity etc..

Goldie 07-07-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaizado (Post 1284407)
I thought people only get those for their school when they play for a team >_>
would be awkward to wear one if you didn't lol
hence the "varsity" for varsity or junior varsity etc..

doubt it I see people where them all the time without any school logos on them.

DarkJedi 07-21-2010 07:36 PM

Varsity jackets wont work.. Sporty type jackets... YES...

mikumiku 09-22-2010 04:15 PM

i just have to share this with any other guy who wants to buy a varsity jacket. i work at forever 21 and a little bit too passionate about my job..

http://www.forever21.com/images/mode...7754373-01.jpg
www.forever21.comcookiesdisabled.asp

http://www.forever21.com/images/mode...9200979-01.jpg

http://www.forever21.com/images/mode...7795782-01.jpg

ever since my store got them i've been dying to have a guy buy one for my selfish purpose of stealing it from him... but then again i already have my own girl version of one that fits big kinda like a boyfriend cardigan :|

kuyaBaka 09-23-2010 12:41 AM

@Mikumiku: I've actually seen those like, a bajillion times whenever I've been to F21. Been wanting to buy one for a while, now, but it's not cold enough for them just yet--

Plus, I always catch my eyes on cardigans and neat-o dress shirts. c:

mikumiku 09-23-2010 03:20 PM

my store sells out of the hot guy stuff really fast.. we had those jackets for maybe a week and they were gone :(

kuyaBaka 09-23-2010 04:00 PM

They're always so expensive compared to the women's clothes. It makes me cry. ;A;