LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
05-11-2010   #1 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Pouty Princess ☆
Special
Games
Guild Wars 2LuniaConquer OnlineElsword
Awards Most Valuable StaffAdmin AwardMoM AwardPervert AwardTHE CHAMP

Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert
IGN: Light, Yucie
Class: Kanna
Level: 208
Default Maintatining Confidence and Modivation

Where do I begin..

During mid grade 8 I was removed from school due to bullying issues so I spent roughly 8 months at home, relaxing and being safe from harm.

I then moved to a new city, and started Grade 9 here, getting through it by the skin of my teeth.
They skipped me from 8 -> 9 because I was too "smart" for it they said.

Ok, Grade 10 hits... I haven't since graduated.

I've spent 2 years completely unmotivated to touch my schoolwork, just playing games and doing whatever I please.
I liked this life, doing whatever I wanted...

However I can't live like this forever, and knowing I only have 14 Months left to complete my high school education (Grades 10~12) I have no time to screw around.

-----

That is my problem though.

Even though I know I don't have much time left and want to get it done.. I simply don't.

I can spend 2 hours looking at my question, but I'd never do it.
I ask myself why I can't get it done, it's really easy work, can be done in a few hours, but for some reason I won't do it.

Instead I end up doing what I've always been doing, which is play games or rot away doing some pointless stupid thing.

I continue to count the days of time left, continue to convince myself to do the work, yet no matter how hard I try, I simply can't do nothing.

What can I do? I'm frustrated as hell, and cry myself to sleep knowing my future is on a short timer and my body/mind refuses to even do anything.

I've already attempted to remove some distractions, even going so far to delete my entire loli collection.
But I could still play with a pencil instead of doing the work, and it infuriates me.

+Rep if I help you. | Guides: Lunia's Client Editing Guide / How to ggFTW!

Last edited by Light; 05-11-2010 at 02:07 AM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
05-11-2010   #2 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Gatts has a little shameless behaviour in the past
IGN: OptimusGatts
Class: Sieg - The Knight lt_knight
Level: 5X

Think of the work like a game. Because it is.

05-11-2010   #3 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict

Pwntang will become famous soon enoughPwntang will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Pwntang
IGN: pumpingheart
Class: guardian
Level: 78
Guild: Fallen

Why don't you just go to school...?

05-11-2010   #4 (permalink)
案山子
Games
Trickster OnlineGrand ChaseLa TaleMapleStory

Virus has a brilliant futureVirus has a brilliant futureVirus has a brilliant futureVirus has a brilliant futureVirus has a brilliant futureVirus has a brilliant futureVirus has a brilliant futureVirus has a brilliant futureVirus has a brilliant futureVirus has a brilliant futureVirus has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to Virus
IGN: Takkuri
Class: Cyber Hunter to_lion
Level: 27x
Guild: Style

It's not something that will change quickly. You have to find things you want to work for little by little until you start really noticing progress being made in the bigger, more important things in your life.

Once you see the progress you'll probably be motivated to just keep going with it. Seeing progress always feels good.
I was in a situation exactly like this after some family problems. I had been in advanced classes since Elementary, but some time into High School things happened and I literally couldn't focus on any of my work.

I would just chill out in every class, sometimes even put two desks together and go to sleep or just skip classes and hang out with my teacher friends and their students.

You just need to force yourself to get things done and do things to keep your mind off the negative as much as possible. (I doubt you're just going blank, there's usually something on one's mind)

05-11-2010   #5 (permalink)
k0n
YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineGunboundAtlantica Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorEvent WinnerSotW MasterFacebook Fan

k0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to k0n
IGN: [JW]
Class: Hisui
Level: ****
Guild: YEAH

This is often times a problem for some of my friends throughout their schooling so don't feel like you're the only one. I even had this effect for me before too when I was attending my first year college.

Anyways, from your introduction, it sounds like education itself and studying isn't your problem. It just looks like you're used to life as it were in your grade 8 year and adjusting yourself back to the studying era of your life is the biggest problem. Stopping the things that make you happy is certainly not a good option to get any motivation, and thus you ask a way to find motivation because nothing is making you happy.

What you could do is make the problem into the things you like.

For me, I thought of my homework as a game itself only that there's no special effects or anything. Just the pure game itself. I also try to hang out with some of my friends just talking about our homework, not even bothering to write anything down. They always say education can be a good or bad tool so I used to make "innuendos" about our topic to my friends which made it easier for me to remember too... which gave out laughs too, lol. Also, if the topic is just annoying, I just race to finish it and play games after :P

05-11-2010   #6 (permalink)
Lazy Lurkin'
Special
Games
Atlantica OnlineDofusTrickster OnlineRift: Planes of Telara

Javier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Javier
IGN: Ripchord
Class: Commando

Just think of the consequences of not finishing your high school education. Do you want to be bumming around and leeching off others? Do you want to flip burgers for the rest of your life?

It's just homework. Suck it up and do it, and reward yourself after if you have to.

It's the nature of my circuitry.

05-11-2010   #7 (permalink)
사랑해~
Special
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorEvent WinnerMs. ggFTWMoM AwardSotW JuniorWandering EyePervert Award

Aimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond repute

I'm completely the same. I procrastinate to the point that it ALWAYS comes and bites me in the ass. Also I'm so easily distracted I can attempt to start something and forget about it in minutes. But once you get stuck into a particular task it can become easier and you wonder why you didn't get it over and done with when you actually had time -- but it's the starting that's always the problem.

• Get yourself into the mindset of working, leave everything; go for a walk or take some time away from anything that can distract you. When you're walking you can brainstorm in your head ideas on how to complete the task you've been set.

• Going to a library or to a quiet place away from the distractions at home can help too. Quiet, unfamiliar places, or less comfortable [compared to your own home] will help to create the correct mindset to completing work.

• Don't try too hard to complete everything in one go. Give yourself time to relax. Taking breaks in between working helps refresh the mind and relax your body.

• Write plans for your questions, make it easier when you get round to writing it.

• Bullet point a task list and tick it off as you do it.

• Try to work by hand, rather than near a computer, as this is a huge distraction; the games, [the loli’s] etc.

• Make sure you drink and eat before sitting down to work on something. Making yourself comfortable where you’re working is essential – if you don’t want to be there, you won’t get any work done.

• Try not to stress yourself out too much, just think about completing the work you have when you’re trying to do it and if, in bed or anything, you start to think about it, think of ideas instead of looking at it in a bad way. If you think of something, write it down.

I hope some of these can help you. I know how it feels to be in our position; it's a self inflicted problem, but some people [like you and me] just have problems with concentration it seems.

05-13-2010   #8 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Moogler

eSheep is on a distinguished road
IGN: Skies
Class: Eir
Guild: DashAttack

Everyone is exactly like you.

But when it comes to crunch time you just have to knuckle down and do the work or eventually you'll fail. I get a lot more work done in the mornings, before others have gotten up, I lie in bed and do my work there.

05-13-2010   #9 (permalink)
Red
Manual Breathing
Games
Battlefield HeroesCombat ArmsConquer OnlineCross Fire
Awards Retired Forum Operations StaffEvent WinnerSotW BeginnerFacebook FanTwitter Fan

Red has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Sircuit
Class: WH
Level: 117
Guild: ggFTW

AimeeXO has some really good points. First of all, remove yourself from your room or anywhere that tempts you to play games. As AimeeXO said, go to a library.

If you have no motivation, then pressure yourself into working.

1. Talk to your teacher, let her/him know that you want to stay after school to work on your assignment.

2. Plan every single day to the HOUR. Write down what you have to do and set specific time slots for homework. Don't try to cram all your work in one slot. Try to keep your planner public so others can read it. If you were supposed to do homework during, for example, 8PM to 10PM but you're not, people will question you. Writing things down makes it into a bigger commitment.

3. Reward yourself. If you finish an assignment or a chapter, reward yourself with 1 hour of video games or a tasty snack. This is hard because you might get sucked into the break/reward and play for hours.

4. Uninstall some of your games, delete your bookmarks, tell your online buddies that you are on a break and make some public commitments.

5. When you finish your assignment and even get good grades, rejoice and take pride into what you did. My biggest motivator in high school and now in university is that I take pride in my high marks.

This is a really good article that helps you understand procrastination.
Procrastination: Feeling overwhelmed, helpless and ready to run away | Psychology Today

---
Dude you'll be fine. You were dedicated to becoming an Admin every since you joined ML and /ggFTW. Look at you now, you are the Event Manager of ggFTW. You can do the same in real life, set your sight on a goal and work hard like you did here. Obviously real life is different, it's harder and takes longer but the reward is that much more sweeter!

Last edited by Red; 05-13-2010 at 02:12 PM.

05-13-2010   #10 (permalink)
Forum Operations Manager
Pouty Princess ☆
Special
Games
Guild Wars 2LuniaConquer OnlineElsword
Awards Most Valuable StaffAdmin AwardMoM AwardPervert AwardTHE CHAMP

Light is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervertLight is the ultimate pervert
IGN: Light, Yucie
Class: Kanna
Level: 208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier
Just think of the consequences of not finishing your high school education. Do you want to be bumming around and leeching off others? Do you want to flip burgers for the rest of your life?

It's just homework. Suck it up and do it, and reward yourself after if you have to.
No.
This is actually a strong stressing element to just try and do it this way.

Because you still fail, then you feel far worse afterwords then usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeXO
• Get yourself into the mindset of working, leave everything; go for a walk or take some time away from anything that can distract you. When you're walking you can brainstorm in your head ideas on how to complete the task you've been set.

• Don't try too hard to complete everything in one go. Give yourself time to relax. Taking breaks in between working helps refresh the mind and relax your body.

• Write plans for your questions, make it easier when you get round to writing it.

• Try not to stress yourself out too much, just think about completing the work you have when you’re trying to do it and if, in bed or anything, you start to think about it, think of ideas instead of looking at it in a bad way. If you think of something, write it down.
Aimee hold me ;_;

Anyhow, these points above are what I'm taking very seriously, and I've now increased the number of times I go out to walk to at least twice a day to cool off and think a question through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virus
Once you see the progress you'll probably be motivated to just keep going with it. Seeing progress always feels good
Very true.
Once I completed an entire project I feel so relieved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
First of all, remove yourself from your room or anywhere that tempts you to play games. As AimeeXO said, go to a library.
The major flaw with this is that all my work is done at home on my computer.
Otherwise I'd have to spend 4 hours or more travel time getting back and forth from school, and they aren't open for very long during the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
Dude you'll be fine. You were dedicated to becoming an Admin every since you joined ML and /ggFTW. Look at you now, you are the Event Manager of ggFTW. You can do the same in real life, set your sight on a goal and work hard like you did here. Obviously real life is different, it's harder and takes longer but the reward is that much more sweeter!
Loli Harem!

Aha, yeah I know that.
It seems very hopeless every day that passes by, and technically it is going to be impossible to graduate unless I complete my work very quickly.

In terms of my courses each "module" is one weeks worth of work.
I have 78 Modules remaining, and only 54 weeks left to complete them.. so by knowing this you can tell how stressed I am over trying to catch up on this, as I find my procrastination keeps knocking down the remaining weeks and the work pile just looks larger.

+Rep if I help you. | Guides: Lunia's Client Editing Guide / How to ggFTW!

Last edited by Light; 05-13-2010 at 02:48 PM.

05-13-2010   #11 (permalink)
사랑해~
Special
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorEvent WinnerMs. ggFTWMoM AwardSotW JuniorWandering EyePervert Award

Aimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond repute

Deadlines and dates are a nightmare, keep a timetable or write yourself a schedule to keep to.

Working through those extra modules will be serious time management. Work on the ones you can, and then push to do that little bit extra - using the timetable or something to keep track of when you're doing extra and which ones you've covered.

stressful times for a lot of us; summer is approaching and exams are over our heads, keeping a plan is the best way to stay on top of things.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you

05-14-2010   #12 (permalink)
situation walkspace
Awards Retired Division HeadEvent WinnerSotW BeginnerPervert Award

mamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond reputemamoru has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Moli
Class: Kardashian to_primadonna
Guild: Hores
Xfire: logicks

I think you just lack a schedule -- plan things out. Make small goals (I'll finish reviewing this chapter before the day ends) instead of taking on a big one. It's not impossible to self-teach yourself 3 years of school material in 14 months if you have a strategy. All you need is self-discipline and the drive -- which boils down to your willpower.

Last edited by mamoru; 05-14-2010 at 12:36 AM.

05-14-2010   #13 (permalink)
is cute + gore

Point has a spectacular aura aboutPoint has a spectacular aura about

There are a lot of good advice up there, but I'm just gonna give you one small tip on procrastination/lack of motivation that worked for me.

Don't start the work for the sake of finishing it, just start for the sake of starting.

Instead of trying to dive into a 1 hr long workload, tell yourself that you'll do just one question, or write just one sentence, and you'll stop. Chances are you'll be motivated to keep going because you feel good that you're starting to do something. If so, great. If not, do another question/sentence in 10 min. Then again, and again, until you get rid of the habit of not wanting to start doing your work.

05-19-2010   #14 (permalink)
Banned

xSherry is on a distinguished road

You're missing a purpose in life, or maybe a guiding figure. Ask your parents or another person you trust to motivate you.

<3