Eudemons Online

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
04-20-2010   #1 (permalink)
#1 Leon fan
Games
VindictusMabinogiLuniaElsword
Awards Pervert Award

PKShota has a reputation beyond reputePKShota has a reputation beyond reputePKShota has a reputation beyond reputePKShota has a reputation beyond reputePKShota has a reputation beyond reputePKShota has a reputation beyond reputePKShota has a reputation beyond reputePKShota has a reputation beyond reputePKShota has a reputation beyond reputePKShota has a reputation beyond reputePKShota has a reputation beyond repute
Guild: Titans/ggFTW
Default Building Metabolism (Please answer or offer alternatives)

My 2nd older brother thinks he is a bit overweight (don't ask me, I asked him and he's still going to do it anyways) and on the internet, he found building metabolism is a way to rid fat instead of exercise.

I'm not sure either, 'cause I checked building metabolism. He told me that he was going to use that plan.

I'm curious though, Leon too. Although we both were fine with weight (we have a high metabolism), we both were wondering if this is actually better than exercising (cause our family except our 1st older brother hates exercising lol)

So here are facts I found :

1. Metabolism slows down from a long period of time between meals, therefore eating something between meals will steady/increase metabolism
2. More muscle tissue means your body burns more calories for energy, regardless of age, activeness or etc.
3. High hydration prevents slowing down of metabolism (means that we should drink a lot of water, 8 cups a day at the least, or so i've read)

So the plan is, my brother is to only eat whole-wheat Ritz crackers and fruit, due to amount of proteins and other healthy stuff. The plan is to "Eat Small, But Often", meaning eat 1 cracker/fruit between a certain amount of time.

But here are our questions, if anyone can answer, disagree, or suggest another alternative (in building metabolism) besides physical activity:

1. How much time in waiting? How many crackers/fruit?
2. Does metabolism take effect when you are not doing any physical activity? (Except walking, cause that's what we do everyday)
3. For curiosity, what kind of exercises build muscle tissue?
4. Does diabetes affect metabolism?
5. [Insert suggestions alternative foods here]
6. [Insert easy physical daily activity here] (My 2nd oldest brother walks to school by the way)

That's all.

Last edited by PKShota; 04-20-2010 at 01:48 PM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
04-20-2010   #2 (permalink)
사랑해~
Special
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorEvent WinnerMs. ggFTWMoM AwardSotW JuniorWandering EyePervert Award

Aimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond reputeAimee has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know much on this topic, but just from searching around the net it's come up with a few things you could take on board.

Check this site for alternative foods, or foods that supposedly help to boost metabolism:
Best Foods to Improve and Boost Your Metabolism, Lose Weight | EcoSalon

And I thought this one was interesting, with a 'top 10 how to increase your metabolism' list. It could be helpful:
How to Increase Your Metabolism

04-27-2010   #3 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict

Lushcious is on a distinguished road
IGN: Lushcious
Level: 1337

I'm not that much of an expert but I'll try to help.

1. It usually depends on the person's weight. I think the heavier you are, the easier it is to burn fat/lose weight. Is your brother just planning to eat fruits and crackers for every meal? I think you should also balance it with other food as well, since I heard eating a variety of food is good for you. If your brother is balancing our his diet by not eating too much, you would probably expect 3-5 lbs of weight loss in 2-3 weeks. Just an estimate.

2. Your metabolism increases when you raise your heart beat as well. Just walking probably won't really increase his metabolism. If he jogs for like 15 minutes a day at least, he'd expect faster results.

3. There are different types of exercises for different muscle groups, so it just depends on what he's trying to work on. Doing a lot of weights would most likely help gain muscle tissue.

4. I hear only type II diabetes has the most effect. High insulin levels promote fat storage and inhibit fat metabolism.

5. Whole wheat cereal/granola bars, yogurt, and veggies! (They're important in a diet) Avoid meat, opt for nuts instead.

6. Try enrolling your brother in a fitness membership?

05-03-2010   #4 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

you should start with eating the amount of what you usually eat but broken into more meals, otherwise you might find yourself hungrier and end up eating more.
eat less during the evening and lots more in the morning (not always true for everyone, but it has to do with insulin levels)

metabolism takes effect even when you're sleeping

walking is good, unless you're really just taking your own sweet time
you can walk with larger strides or faster pace to increase metabolism (usually you might sweat a little)

exercise right after you wake up cause after you fast for 6-8 hrs you'll have to break down most of your fats for energy (not advisable for people with high/low blood pressure) [I think it is just high but i can't remember]

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

05-03-2010   #5 (permalink)
Red
Manual Breathing
Games
Battlefield HeroesCombat ArmsConquer OnlineCross Fire
Awards Retired Forum Operations StaffEvent WinnerSotW BeginnerFacebook FanTwitter Fan

Red has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Sircuit
Class: WH
Level: 117
Guild: ggFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kag
exercise right after you wake up cause after you fast for 6-8 hrs you'll have to break down most of your fats for energy (not advisable for people with high/low blood pressure) [I think it is just high but i can't remember]
Not only does it help with weight control, but it improves both, physical and mental health!

From my own experience (seeing my friends), exercising > trying to control metabolism. The former is much faster. If he decides to exercise, do a lot of stair climbing. My friend is an actual trainer...that was the biggest part of her training to lose weight (and not she works there...lol).

Of course, doing both work = best

05-03-2010   #6 (permalink)
#1 Leon fan
Games
Awards Pervert Award

PKShota has a reputation beyond reputePKShota has a reputation beyond reputePKShota has a reputation beyond reputePKShota has a reputation beyond reputePKShota has a reputation beyond reputePKShota has a reputation beyond reputePKShota has a reputation beyond reputePKShota has a reputation beyond reputePKShota has a reputation beyond reputePKShota has a reputation beyond reputePKShota has a reputation beyond repute

How many times should my brother go up/down the stairs daily? :D

05-03-2010   #7 (permalink)
Red
Manual Breathing
Games
Battlefield HeroesCombat ArmsConquer OnlineCross Fire
Awards Retired Forum Operations StaffEvent WinnerSotW BeginnerFacebook FanTwitter Fan

Red has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Sircuit
Class: WH
Level: 117
Guild: ggFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessLenne
How many times should my brother go up/down the stairs daily? :D
lol I wasn't really talking about the actual stairs...

I'll give you the exact numbers when I talk to my friend. You don't have to answer but it may help, what's his age, height & weight?

05-03-2010   #8 (permalink)
#1 Leon fan
Games
Awards Pervert Award

23, 6"3, 170 lbs

also, my little brother is wondering too :

14, 5"6, 152 lbs (he's exercising too.)

05-04-2010   #9 (permalink)
VIP

VorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond reputeVorpalBunny has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lushcious
5. Whole wheat cereal/granola bars, yogurt, and veggies! (They're important in a diet) Avoid meat, opt for nuts instead.
Lean meats are fine, since you need an adequate source of protein for growth if you are lifting weights. Nuts, on the other hand, are one of the most calorie dense foods on the planet. They are a good source of polysaturated fat, but they are by no means a replacement for meat. Since there is a ludicrous amount of calories in a handful of nuts, I would tell compulsive snackers to avoid them. A small can of peanuts contains more than a day's worth of calories.

05-05-2010   #10 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games
MapleStoryLuniaKingdom of LoathingCity of Heroes
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorMoM AwardPervert Award

Location: Narnia, and the north! Wait....is Narnia supposed to be Canada?
Mitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mitchi Send a message via MSN to Mitchi Send a message via Yahoo to Mitchi
IGN: SakiaLumei, Arphage
Class: Aran, Blaze Wiz lt_treasurehunter
Level: 9x,3x
Guild: Cupcake

Meat is good, and tbh fat on meat isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Sure, a large amount is unhealthy, but it's what adds tenderness and flavor. IF you don't want to eat meat, then go for beans.

As for metabolism boosting...unless you want to get into some serious calculations like Carb Cycling, then exercise is the best way. Just a simple jog or plenty of pushups does wonders. If they don't want to do something "boring" like running, then make them play -- things like soccer and basketball are great exercise, and biking burns and tones without adding a ton of bulk (makes the butt look great too). Even stuff like DDR can help a lot.

Or you can do what I made a friend of mine do, and carry a pokewalker all the time. Watching those steps go up really motivates you.

05-05-2010   #11 (permalink)
sɪlvər
Awards Retired Content StaffPervert Award

Silver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond reputeSilver Rook has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Silver Rook Send a message via AIM to Silver Rook Send a message via MSN to Silver Rook Send a message via Yahoo to Silver Rook Send a message via Skype™ to Silver Rook
IGN: Silver
Class: Ag
Level: 47
Guild: Transition Metals

IMO, it isn't about how you burn fats.

There has to be a hidden factor somewhere... I don't move about much and I'm still stuck on a healthy 55KG limit.

This is Kyuubey

05-05-2010   #12 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Rook
IMO, it isn't about how you burn fats.

There has to be a hidden factor somewhere... I don't move about much and I'm still stuck on a healthy 55KG limit.
There are a few reasons/my thinking
1. Poor food absorbtion, you only absorb very little of what you take. (I'm underweight, probably belong to this class)
2. Gene, some may argue but i believe it plays a part.
3. High metabolism rate without doing much. (partially it is a gene thing)
Metabolism does play a part, some can stay awake by drinking lots of water just to keep the metabolism going.
4. It almost stays that way once you finish puberty (or at a certain age) your weight more or less stays that way once you finish puberty. You may still gain or lose weight but it is easier to bring it back to that "puberty" weight. (Just like how some's weight goes back almost immediately once they return to their normal diet)
5. And of course lifestyle, like waking/sleeping at regular timings.

Btw you can lose weight from gaming as well, usually you need to play action games such that you release andrenaline. FPS gamers will know what i mean.

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

05-05-2010   #13 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Regular

Hazelnutcoffee is on a distinguished road

1. Only eating ritz crackers and fruit is not a good idea in my opinion. because he will not be meeting his daily nutritional requirement. For example, where is he going to get his Calcium? And also, I don't think he'll be getting all his essential amino acids through his diet. This means he won't be able to build proteins in his body. Muscle is what increases basal metabolism and to build muscles, you need protein. Since "can't build protein= can't build muscle", the protein that he gets through Ritz cracker will be converted to fat/carbo by his body. :[

2. total metabolism= basal metabolism( minimum amount needed to stay alive) + active metabolism( amount you use while exercising, etc. etc.)
As long as your daily total metabolism is greater than the daily calorie intake, you will lose weight. To increase active metabolism you have to increase your activity- aka you have to exercise, etc.etc.etc. To increase basal metabolism, you have to increase the muscle mass( build muscles) in your body. Your body will only build muscle if it feels the need ... meaning you have to exercise.

My answer is getting looong... so skipping 3-6 >_<

I also hate to exercise with a passion, but I'm trying to lose weight.
I am trying out this 30min exercise that I found that maximizes fat loss. Just in case your brother is interested
1. first 10min, stretch.
2. second 10 min, run
3. last 10 min, walk.
It seems to work and its not tooooo stressful.
Anyways, gl to your brother ^^