ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Beauty, Fashion, Fitness & Health (http://ggftw.com/forum/beauty-fashion-fitness-health/)
-   -   Glasses or Contacts? (http://ggftw.com/forum/beauty-fashion-fitness-health/31088-glasses-contacts.html)

Paul 12-08-2008 04:20 AM

Glasses or Contacts?

My vision is quite bad. My dad scheduled me to go see an eye doctor somewhere during this month and I'll probably end up getting glasses/contacts because i can't barely read signs when inside a car and so on. (Which isnt really a good thing...)

I'm just wondering, which would you recommend overall?

It doesn't really matter to much although i've never worn them for anything so i don't really know.

If your wondering on things i do that might affect my choices... don't. Because i don't really do things. (I.E. Glasses =/= Sports)

Eternal 12-08-2008 06:05 AM

Contacts are a hassle, but I wear them because I do not like how glasses look on people.

For sports, there are those bands that you can put on glasses, so that the glasses does not fall off.

Prefer: Contacts

DemiGodDanzig 12-08-2008 06:11 AM

If you can handle contacts,get them.
i myself find the concept of putting things in my eyes very disturbing,and i couldnt last a week with em haha.
I like glasses myself,since these arnt the typical wire frame glasses.
So yah,if you could go either way,id say contacts.
Its easy to get used to wearing glassess though

Bredgen 12-08-2008 11:16 AM

I like them both.
Some days I feel like wearing contacts, some days I'm just way to lazy and put my glasses on.
Try them both out, if you absolutely despise using one of them, use the other. If you don't mind them, and can afford it, get both so you have the choice.

KawaiiSaka 12-08-2008 12:28 PM

Maybe it's just me but I noticed that my vision usually doesn't get as worse when I wear contacts. When I wore glasses constantly every year, my vision worsens by quite a lot. (But maybe that's because I'm growing? So my vision gets less worse year after year? lol I don't know).

But it's like what Bredgen said. Get both. Wear contacts when you go out and wear glasses when you get home. Optometrist will tell you, anyways, to only wear contacts for a maximum of 6-8 hours a day.

^ If you don't do that then you'll notice your eyes get really dry. I used to wear my contacts for the majority of the day (Morning until I sleep) and I notice that I can't wear them as comfortably as I used to.

RandomCrazyBuns 12-08-2008 05:56 PM

^Agreed.
My friends complained to me of dry eyes and i was like 'why are you wearing contacts then>_>'

If you like poking your eyes out when you put in/take out your contacts, go for it. Else stick with safer(?) options: glasses

Point 12-08-2008 06:27 PM

You can always get night contacts, even thought they are a bit expensive. You wear them during the night (for me it's everyday, might be different with other people) for recommended of 7-10 hours, and in the morning, take them off, and you'll be able to see clearly (yay). A few cons about night contacts: the contacts are rigid, not like normal contacts, therefore they hurt a lot more, though you'll probably get used to them in a week or so; and if you lie on your side for too long when you sleep, the contacts can shift to one side, making your vision in the morning a bit blurry. Personally, ever since I've gotten night contacts, I've never been free of those "shadows" of images that are usually unnoticeable but there, all the same.

Here's an article that I've quickly searched off Google. Night Contacts

Red 12-08-2008 06:46 PM

Apparently contacts easy the uneasiness glasses give, especially if the glasses are powerful since it's closer to the pupil. it basically becomes on with the eye.

If you have itchy eyes or watery eye, you might want to fix that ahead of time.

I would pick contacts over glasses, and keep an extra pair of glasses just for the sophisticated look (once ina while..=P)

Jei 12-09-2008 08:15 AM

I personally say get glasses because they are pretty quick to slip on. Also, depending on the frames, you might look good with them. :3

Shiki 12-09-2008 10:45 AM

i personally haven't tried contacts,but i've seen some accidents on my friends which stopped me from trying at all.And,i look weird without glasses.

PedroRomero 12-09-2008 11:01 AM

i prefer glasses. and since this ur first time getting vision correction maybe glasses is a good start. it's easy to slip on and off and you might forget you have contacts on and sleep with them

Rwinna 12-09-2008 05:33 PM

Glasses are much easier to slip on if you're feeling too lazy to put on some contacts in the morning, however, I personally don't like them, not because of looks (Mine are frameless, and I actually like the way they look.), but because they push against my eyelashes and it's uncomfortable. They can also leave those red marks on your nose if there's those . . . placement thingies on them. The name slips my mind right now. x3;

--------------------------------------------------

Contacts are a pain to put on every morning before school, and a hassle to remember to take off before bed, but once on, I barely feel them during school, and I don't have to worry about somehow taking them off and misplacing them somewhere. Also, I'm in the swim team, and it's not possible to have goggles and glasses on at the same time, so contacts are a plus there too.

Dook 12-10-2008 12:21 AM

Never tried contacts myself, but I heard they are a bit of a hassle so I'll stick with glasses :3

I've been wearing glasses for such a long time (I even slept with them sometimes, which is probably not a good thing =/) that I have these little indentations on my skull above the ears, where the sticks rest lol. So now, whenever I put on my glasses, they sorta just "clip" onto my skull.

Goldie 12-10-2008 08:38 PM

Get contacts if you can handle them , but i suggest you get glasses (A lot easier).People say geeks wear glasses etc.But you can look sexy and wear glasses :D am i right or what!

Mysteria 12-11-2008 04:49 PM

Personally I wear glasses, and I look pretty good in them as well. I have never tried contacts but seeing as theres a lot more risks in using contacts (e.g. eye infections , that fact you have to stick something in your eye etc.) Since you've never wore any "vision booster" I'd stick with glasses :3

Also if you do decide to get glasses, don't buy those expensive Dior or DC brands. Because to be honest your eye sight is prolly gonna get worst. So stick with a somewhat cheap brand, then when ur vision settles down, you can decide to get some of the more expensive eye wear

james 12-11-2008 07:50 PM

You'll need 'em both.
Personally, I have no preference over which one is better, but I tend to wear my glasses more, mainly because I take them out after I shower at around 9 PM. And somedays, I just don't put them in, too lazy, and I can just slap on my glasses instead of wrestling with plastic.