ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Beauty, Fashion, Fitness & Health (http://ggftw.com/forum/beauty-fashion-fitness-health/)
-   -   Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (http://ggftw.com/forum/beauty-fashion-fitness-health/2051-obsessive-compulsive-disorder.html)

aLo 06-27-2008 09:24 PM

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

I think I am starting to believe that I have OCD. I can't control myself when I washed my hands once, but I still think they are dirty, so I wash it again, with some more soap, then I think it's still not good enough, so more soap. I end up spending 5-7 minutes to wash my hands until I think it is just okay for now. Now it's been getting more and more often that I feel that I am not clean. I shower... I rinse my hair in water, I lather, then I rinse, then I lather again, then I rinse, then I lather again, then I rinse, then I put conditioner, then I spend about 10 minutes to run my hair inn water just to make sure it is clean. I've been taking longer and longer showers... I keep thinking that the soap will not come off me. They used to be like 15-20 minutes, now they are over 30 minutes. When I have touched the cloth that we always use to wipe tables, I wash my hands, then I wash the cloth, then I wash my hands again. When I turn off the tap, I think that the germs from the tap contaminated my fingers, so I end up washing my hands again. The cycle just repeats until I somehow get a control over myself to stop.

Am I just over reacting or is it like really a disorder D:.

Kadmilos 06-27-2008 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aLo (Post 27366)
I think I am starting to believe that I have OCD. I can't control myself when I washed my hands once, but I still think they are dirty, so I wash it again, with some more soap, then I think it's still not good enough, so more soap. I end up spending 5-7 minutes to wash my hands until I think it is just okay for now. Now it's been getting more and more often that I feel that I am not clean. I shower... I rinse my hair in water, I lather, then I rinse, then I lather again, then I rinse, then I lather again, then I rinse, then I put conditioner, then I spend about 10 minutes to run my hair inn water just to make sure it is clean. I've been taking longer and longer showers... I keep thinking that the soap will not come off me. They used to be like 15-20 minutes, now they are over 30 minutes. When I have touched the cloth that we always use to wipe tables, I wash my hands, then I wash the cloth, then I wash my hands again. When I turn off the tap, I think that the germs from the tap contaminated my fingers, so I end up washing my hands again. The cycle just repeats until I somehow get a control over myself to stop.

Am I just over reacting or is it like really a disorder D:.

Consult a doctor. :cool:

kuyaBaka 06-27-2008 10:47 PM

I feel the same way ...
When I wash my hands, I *have* to do the 'surgeon wash' where you soap all the way up your arm to get yourself nice and clean.
When I see a pile of CDs not piled up neatly, I fix it.
When I see that my laptop's charger is tangled up, I have to fix it. I'll drop whatever I'm doing to fix it.
I hate anything that I do that turns out half-assed.

But I don't always get this way -- thankfully.

Torikakae 06-28-2008 12:44 AM

I've read a similar article about OCD once. Here's an excerpt:

Quote:

Thirty-year-old Ruth has a long-standing feeling of contamination that compels her to carry out numerous cleansing activities each day. She becomes intensely uncomfortable when she notices any dirt on herself or in her immediate environment. Whenever she detects the pretense of even the smallest bit of dirt, she thoroughly washes her hands and arms. If she finds any dirt in her apartment, she feels compelled to scrub it from top to bottom, then shower in a rigidly specific manner. She also feels contaminated after using the bathroom, doing housework, or cooking, again feeling compelled to wash herself after these activities. Currently. she is washing her hands at least three or four times an hour, after showering six or seven times a day, and thoroughly cleaning her apartment at least twice a day.

She has been diagnosed with an obsessive-compulsive disorder.

-Leon, G.R. (1990). Case histories of psychopathology (4th ed.). Boston: Alynn & Bacon.

The book also said that OCD isn't that uncommon, and the most common types are excessive checking, cleansing, and counting.

I guess as long as it doesn't hinder your daily activities, or as long as it doesn't prevent you from functioning properly as a human being, then it's okay.

ZeR 06-28-2008 01:03 AM

i used to be like that but i just got over it, its such a waste of time >_>
now im the most messiest person you can ever meet.

Catharsis 06-28-2008 04:50 AM

When it becomes disruptive to you life, then you're got the disorder. Right now, I think your habits are still manageable.

aLo 06-28-2008 08:29 AM

Okkie D: From what JC have told me it may just be because I've been stressing out so much for the past 10 months (because of school.) And now it's just hard to get it off me. x: I guess it's not that disruptive, though I wash my hands every half hour to hour or else they feel gross.