Elsword
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Elsword

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
06-26-2008   #1 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Moogler

blaaaow has a spectacular aura aboutblaaaow has a spectacular aura aboutblaaaow has a spectacular aura about
Default Blaaaow's Basic Nutrition Guide

Blaaaow's Basic Nutrition Guide Version 1.1 (Updated 07/01/08)

---

07/01/08:
-Added an FAQ section to some things that were asked just to condense things a bit. It'll be a much larger update with information I'd like to go into more detail with when it's upgraded to 2.0

---

I will update this as I know I have forgotten some things and as questions come up.

I'm pretty DAMN good when it comes to getting myself and others in shape, so I decided to make a basic guide for those interested. Feel free to ask any questions and I WILL answer them.

Basic Nutrition Guidelines:
- Don’t count calories, count protein, carbohydrates, and fats.
- Eat a high protein diet; 1-2 grams of protein per lb of body weight.
- Adjust fats and carbohydrates to your metabolism.
- Eat 6-8 times daily (every two hours), whether trying to lose weight or gain muscle.

Foods:
I always say, if you can’t pick it, grow it, or kill it… don’t eat it.
Protein:
o Steak
o Chicken/turkey
o Ground beef (choose at least 93% lean)
o Egg whites
o Fish/tuna
Carbohydrates:
o Oats
o Rice (brown/white)
o Potatoes (regular/sweet)
o Yams
o Grits
o Whole wheat pasta
Fats:
o All natural peanut butter
o Extra virgin olive oil
o Borage oil
o Almonds
o Cashews
o Walnuts
o Fish oil
o Flax oil
Vegetables:
o Think GREEN: broccoli, spinach, green beans, etc.
I mainly eat steak, chicken , or eggwhites in combination with white rice or oats. Depending on the day, I may replace the carbohydrate source with a fat source instead, like all natural peanut butter or olive oil. More information on replacing carbs for fats later on.

Gaining Mass:

Commonly referred to as “bulking,” gaining mass requires a caloric surplus that will support growth. I personally like to cycle my carbohydrates so that I take in much more carbohydrates on training days than I do on off days. On these “high carb days,” I keep fat intake to a minimum. On the “low carb days,” I lower my carbohydrates to only the first 2 meals in the day, and replace the carbohydrates in later meals with fats from the list above.

- Tips:
o Add oatmeal to protein shakes in a blender. This is an EXTREMELY easy way to add a great source of carbohydrates into your diet when you can barely eat any more.
o If you have trouble gaining weight, YOU MUST FORCE FEED AND GET IN THOSE 6-8 MEALS! This will make your break your goals.
o Do low intensity morning cardio before eating in the morning. This will get your appetite RAGING throughout the day.
o Refer to basic nutrition guidelines.

Fatloss:
Commonly referred to as “cutting,” a caloric deficit must be obtained through diet and cardio, however caloric requirements must be adjusted to maintain strength and muscle mass in order to be successful. I eat the same foods as I do when I’m gaining mass, however instead of having all high carb days on my training days, I make some of them “medium carb days” which give enough carbohydrates to fuel the workout, but is still below the basal metabolic rate to induce fat burning. One or two high carb days are still essential in order to keep your metabolism on 6th gear.

- Tips:
o Start cardio off SLOWLY (20 minutes daily) and increase it every 1 or 2 weeks depending your progress. I’ve worked up to 1.5 hours daily split into 2 sessions, you may need less or you may need more. Everyone is different! (no need to cardio on high carb days)
o It’s essential to cycle your carbohydrates! The high carb days make the low carb days more effective and vice versa!
o CONSISTENCY IS KEY! Look to lose 1-2lbs/week, but no more or it’ll be muscle mass. 3 months of hardwork goes by and VOILA! You’re more than 10lbs lighter!
o Adjust carb rotation as the diet progresses.
o Don’t look at the scale every day. You will weigh different after a high carb day and different after a low carb day. Weigh yourself once a week, on the same day, after your first morning piss. Concentrate more on the mirror and measurements since it’s possible to gaining muscle and losing fat simultaneously.
o Eat your 6-8 meals. Start skipping meals and then your metabolism slows to compensate. We don’t want that!
o Don’t lift lighter weights because you are dieting, you shouldn’t lose much strength at all if your diet it on point.

Here’s a decent article about carb cycling. I may not agree with everything said on here, but it’s got some great information:
Carb Cycling Codex

Supplements:
STICK WITH THE BASICS! IT SAVES YOU MONEY AND IS ALL YOU NEED!
- Whey protein
- Multivitamin
- Creatine monohydrate
- Fish oil
The above is ALL YOU NEED for any goal you have. Don’t waste your time on other supplements that use stupid marketing gimmicks to lure you in. There are exceptions, but you can achieve any goal with the four listed above.

Use protein powder to reach daily protein requirements that cannot be obtained through eating alone.

I recommend trueprotein.com for all supplement needs. They have the best price for THE BEST quality I know of. Their customer service is top notch as well. 5% discount code: MPP883

Training:
-Train intensely!
-You must squat and deadlift. They activate the most muscle in the body and have been shown to stimulate testosterone production.
-Keep training time 45 minutes to 1 hour. You cannot keep intensity high if you train longer than that. I don’t care how badass you think you are. Anything more you are just digging yourself into over training.
-Find a training program you like and STICK WITH IT! This whole “switching it up” thing has gotten out of hand where people are changing their routines every month. How do you know if it’s working or not if you haven’t given the program at least 6 months to evaluate it?

Other Tips:
- Sleep 8 hours a night. You repair muscle and lose fat in your sleep. Yes it’s true.
- Drink 1-2 gallons of water daily. Especially with the high protein intake you want to keep your organs happy. Also, more water in your muscle = more nutrients = more growth.
- Set realistic goals! Don't say you want to gain a pound of muscle a week. Think about it: if you gain 1 pound of muscle a week, in 1 year you'll have a new 52 pounds of muscle. Yea right . Even if you were on all the right drugs that wouldn't happen.
- BE CONSISTENT!!!!!

FAQ's:
What do you mean by low intensity and/or high intensity cardio?
When I refer to low intensity cardio, I mean any sort of activity that gets your heart-rate up to 120-140 bpm. If you don't go to the gym, a good guideline is that you can continue the activity while carrying on a conversation. This type of cardio burns more actual fat while doing the cardio, so it should be be done for lengthy periods of time. I hope that makes sense.

Another type of cardio I may refer to is HIIT or high intensity interval training. This is when you do intervals of high intensity cardio and intervals of short rest. An example would be sprinting the straights of a track and walking the curves. Another example would be is while on the bike at a gym, bike at 100% effort for 15 seconds, then at 50% effort for 45 seconds.
HIIT mostly burns glycogen stores (carbs) instead of actual fat on your body, but elevates your metabolism for the rest of the day. Do not do HIIT if you have no carbs in you. When you lack carbs, your body will turn to muscle for a fuel source and convert them into glucose to use during this type of cardio. So always have some sort of carb meal before performing HIIT. A good place to start is doing 10-15 intervals.

I like to do a mixture of both when dieting to lose weight. However, when I am aiming to gain weight, I usually only utilize low-intensity cardio on low carb days to keep my body fat under control and just because cardio is healthy for your heart.

What is the difference between high carb, medium carb, and low carb days?

For low carb days, 2 out of the 6 meals have carbohydrates. The other 4 out of the 6 meals have fats in replacement of carbohydrates. You have to have the fats since fats promote fat burning and the production of testosterone.

A typical low days for me may look like:
Meal 1: 3/4 cup oatmeal and 1.5 scoops whey
Meal 2: 1 cup white rice and 4 oz chicken
Meal 3: 4 oz chicken and 1 teaspoon of all natural peanut butter and 3 fish oil capsules
Meal 4: 1.5 scoops protein powder and 1 teaspoon of all natural peanut butter and 3 fish oil capsules
Meal 5: 4.5 oz steak and 1 teaspoon of all natural peanut butter and 3 fish oil capsules
Meal 6: 4 oz chicken and 1 teaspoon of all natural peanut butter and 3 fish oil capsules

On high carb days, fats are kept to a minimum, but you supply a good amount of carbohydrates in each meal except the last. I also lower the amount of protein on this day.

For me, a high day may look like this:
Meal 1: 1.5 cups oatmeal and 1 scoop whey
Meal 2: 2 cups of rice 2.5 oz chicken
Meal 3: 1.5 cups oatmeal and 1 scoop whey
Meal 4 (Post workout): 2.5 cups oatmeal, 1.5 scoops whey
Meal 5: 2 cups of rice 2.5 oz chicken
Meal 6: 1.5 cups oatmeal and 1 scoop whey
Meal 7: 3 oz chicken + vegetables

Today is a high day or me and right now I'm eating 7 eggwhites with 2 cups of rice. So you can eat anything for any meal just as it meets the nutritional requirements for that meal.

I just want to say that the diets posted above are what work for ME. I don't want a random girl or guy eating the above diet in the same amounts I do for myself... because s/he'll get fat!

Medium days are for people who are trying to lose weight. In this case, medium days would be used on some training days in replacement of some high days. On these days have 3 carb meals and 3 fat meals. Save 1 of the 3 carb meals for post-workout whenever that may be.

Why can't I just have all low carb days? Won't that be more effective since I am consistently taking in less calories??
The benefit of having high, low, and medium carb days staggered the way I suggested is that each day makes the other days much more effective.

After a nice long day of burning fat on a low carb day, it leaves you extremely sensitive to carbs. So if your next day is a high day, most of the carbs you eat will be utilized to refill your glycogen stores (carbohydrate stores) in your muscles.

So how about after a high day? Well your metabolism is so revved up from the carbs you've had all day so that the next day, perhaps a low or medium day, you'll be burning fat very effectively once again.

How do I know the nutrient (carb/fat/protein) content of the foods I'm eating?

Visit NutritionData.com. This is a good place to find out how many carbs/fats/protein you are eating in your meals.

Last edited by blaaaow; 06-30-2008 at 09:39 PM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
06-26-2008   #2 (permalink)
Static

Cornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to all

Good info, but it's hard to do some of the things you mention.

How on earth do you fit 1-2g of protein/lb into your daily diet? I take whey protein every day but I still only manage around 60g total protein per day, and I weigh a little over 140lbs.

Quote:
If you have trouble gaining weight, YOU MUST FORCE FEED AND GET IN THOSE 6-8 MEALS! This will make your break your goals.
Force feeding yourself is really unhealthy isn't it? Even if I could eat that many meals, and I can't, I'd have to spend all day in the kitchen making food.

06-27-2008   #3 (permalink)
▄█▀█●
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineIkariamSword 2La Tale
Awards Retired Forum ManagementEvent Winner

Catharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond reputeCatharsis has a reputation beyond repute

You guide pretty mush showed me that I'm slowly killing myself. O hay

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaaaow
Other Tips:
- Sleep 8 hours a night. You repair muscle and lose fat in your sleep. Yes it’s true.
Oh woah. How do we lose fat in sleep? And what about if you oversleep?

06-27-2008   #4 (permalink)
Snow Vampire
Special
Games
Atlantica Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorSpirit of ggFTW

Miyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Miyuki
IGN: Sarafina

Hey, good tips there "/.

lol@Cath.

And for those who /slept late @_@???

06-27-2008   #5 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Moogler

blaaaow has a spectacular aura aboutblaaaow has a spectacular aura aboutblaaaow has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflake
Good info, but it's hard to do some of the things you mention.

How on earth do you fit 1-2g of protein/lb into your daily diet? I take whey protein every day but I still only manage around 60g total protein per day, and I weigh a little over 140lbs.

Force feeding yourself is really unhealthy isn't it? Even if I could eat that many meals, and I can't, I'd have to spend all day in the kitchen making food.
1-2g protein/lb of body weight isn't too hard. It might seem so at first, but after a week of eating like this your appetite will be right up there with you. If you are just starting, start at 1g per pound of body weight.

I eat 6-7 times daily and have 40g of protein per meal. That's a 4oz piece of steak/chicken 4 times daily and maybe 1.5 scoops of protein powder 2-3 times daily.

At your weight, start at 25g/protein per meal for 6 meals. That's a 3oz piece of chicken/steak or just 1 scoop of protein powder. Of course combine that with some sort of carb OR fat source. Don't mix carbs and fats.

The hardest part is getting over thinking that 6 times a day is crazy. I know, I thought it was too, and so did my little sister. But now, her and I can't go over 3 hours without eating or we are STARVING.

You'll find that you're not force feeding as your appetite gets used to it. Sure if you eat your way up to a gigantic 250lb muscular beast... or you just have an INSANELY fast metabolism, you may have to force feed. As for it being healthy, your body likes to stay what it is. It loves homeostasis. So anything that forces it to go toward fat loss and weight gain will make want to resist. It's important that you go to your doctor in either case and make sure your healthy and have blood work done.

And to spending all the time in the kitchen... I spend 30-45 a minutes in the morning cooking. I throw a couple of chicken breasts on the grill and a couple cups of dry rice and I'm set for the day. If I'm running low on chicken breasts, I pack protein powder and oatmeal. I am EXTREMELY busy usually juggling a job, classes, studying, girlfriend, and test reviews, I would not be able to spend all my day in the kitchen either. But I do what I can to get those meals in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catharsis
You guide pretty mush showed me that I'm slowly killing myself. O hay

Oh woah. How do we lose fat in sleep? And what about if you oversleep?
Many recent studies have shown a link between lack of sleep and obesity.

-Growth hormone is secreted most during sleep
-Blood supply to the muscle is increased
-Ghrelin and leptin, hormones that control appetite, are suppressed

Hormones that promote fat burning are very prevalent during deep sleep.

Hmm.. I read a study on oversleeping not long ago. I'll see if I can dig it up, but it's not optimal, but better than being sleep deprived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyuki
Hey, good tips there "/.

lol@Cath.

And for those who /slept late @_@???
I don't understand the question. You're asking for those who sleep late at night? If so, your probably working at the same hours as we all are. Being awake about 16 hours or so, then sleeping for 8 hours. Adjust it to fit your schedule.

06-27-2008   #6 (permalink)
ZeR
ggFTW Stalker
Special Games
La TaleDragon Nest

ZeR is a glorious beacon of lightZeR is a glorious beacon of lightZeR is a glorious beacon of lightZeR is a glorious beacon of lightZeR is a glorious beacon of light

Teach me how to make a good protein shake without the use of protein powder???
I can't afford it ;/

06-27-2008   #7 (permalink)
C'est La Vie

Mysteria will become famous soon enoughMysteria will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Mysteria
IGN: Eyelash
Level: 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by TogSawks
I can't afford it ;/
I second that.

BTW I don't use any weights or equipment when I train. I use bodyweight excersises E.X. Variety of Pushups, Sit-ups, supermans,squats ETC.
Should I continues this? (I'm 110 LBS)

06-27-2008   #8 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Addict

WarriorsBlade will become famous soon enough
IGN: eyneeet
Class: Dragon to_magician
Level: 21x
Guild: Isotopes

Quote:

Many recent studies have shown a link between lack of sleep and obesity.

-Growth hormone is secreted most during sleep
-Blood supply to the muscle is increased
-Ghrelin and leptin, hormones that control appetite, are suppressed

Hormones that promote fat burning are very prevalent during deep sleep.

Hmm.. I read a study on oversleeping not long ago. I'll see if I can dig it up, but it's not optimal, but better than being sleep deprived.

I don't understand the question. You're asking for those who sleep late at night? If so, your probably working at the same hours as we all are. Being awake about 16 hours or so, then sleeping for 8 hours. Adjust it to fit your schedule.
Uhm, my mom sleeps like....most the day lol, and yet she is still a little (don't want to sound mean) overweight. And she's been sleeping like most all day for like....as long as I can remember lol. So, I'm not saying that this is false, but yeah get what I'm saying?
R.I.P MT and daakuhiryuu

06-27-2008   #9 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Moogler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TogSawks
I can't afford it ;/
Protein powder is extremely convenient and is actually pretty affordable if you treat it as food also. Note: Don't shop at GNC; EVERYTHING is overpriced in there. You can buy egg whites in a carton and use it as your protein source uncooked (yes it's safe if it's from a carton). Put it in a blender with some oats and add splenda and cinnamon to suit your taste, and you've got a decent protein shake. Adding cashews adds some healthy fats to the shake also and gives it a milkshake-like texture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteria
I second that.

BTW I don't use any weights or equipment when I train. I use bodyweight excersises E.X. Variety of Pushups, Sit-ups, supermans,squats ETC.
Should I continues this? (I'm 110 LBS)
Good nutrition will always amplify the results of any training program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorsBlade
Uhm, my mom sleeps like....most the day lol, and yet she is still a little (don't want to sound mean) overweight. And she's been sleeping like most all day for like....as long as I can remember lol. So, I'm not saying that this is false, but yeah get what I'm saying?
I didn't say that if you just slept you'd be ripped and in shape. It's only PART of the equation. You must also be exercising and be in a caloric deficit to lose fat.

06-27-2008   #10 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Special
Games
Grand ChaseDofusLa TaleGunbound
Awards Retired Forum Moderator

CujoEX is just really niceCujoEX is just really niceCujoEX is just really niceCujoEX is just really niceCujoEX is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to CujoEX Send a message via MSN to CujoEX Send a message via Yahoo to CujoEX Send a message via Skype™ to CujoEX
IGN: CujoEX

I support my cousin blaaaow. Out of all my cousin's, hes probably the only one that's in best shape.

blaaaow, say that I want to lose weight but really gain much bulk (just enough to be fit). What's a good daily exercise that doesn't involve heavy gym machinery. So far, running 5 times a day for 30 minutes, and using dumbbells (curls) and power sit ups doesn't seem to decrease my weight. For a month so far, I'm still the same weight. Other than the daily routine I mentioned, what else do you recommend I should do?

06-27-2008   #11 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Addict

Quote:

I didn't say that if you just slept you'd be ripped and in shape. It's only PART of the equation. You must also be exercising and be in a caloric deficit to lose fat.
Yeah, of course. I didn't mean it like you'd get ripped. Yeah, she doesn't exercise at all...that I know of, and if so VERY little. And she doesn't eat the best...How do you tell your mom you think she should live better lol?
R.I.P MT and daakuhiryuu

06-27-2008   #12 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Moogler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CujoEX
I support my cousin blaaaow. Out of all my cousin's, hes probably the only one that's in best shape.

blaaaow, say that I want to lose weight but really gain much bulk (just enough to be fit). What's a good daily exercise that doesn't involve heavy gym machinery. So far, running 5 times a day for 30 minutes, and using dumbbells (curls) and power sit ups doesn't seem to decrease my weight. For a month so far, I'm still the same weight. Other than the daily routine I mentioned, what else do you recommend I should do?
Thank lv. Yep this is my cousin ^^.

And yes, that is my back in my avatar . It's an old pic. I'm lower in bodyfat now.

You have 2 dumbbells right? I'll show you a basic routine that is VERY similar to mine. I utilize barbells much more though.

Have 3 days: "Pull" day, "Push" Day, and Leg Day

Pull day:
-Pull ups
-Dumbbell rows (Bodybuilding.com - Exercise Guides Database.)
-Dumbbell curls

Push day:
-Dumbbell floor press (Bodybuilding.com - Exercise Guides Database. - use 2 dumbbells though) This is one my favorite exercises.
-Dumbbell lateral raises: Bodybuilding.com - Exercise Guides Database.
-Dumbbell Curls

Leg Day:
Dumbbell Squats: Bodybuilding.com - Exercise Guides Database.
Dumbbell Romanian Deadlift: Bodybuilding.com - Exercise Guides Database.
Calve Raises

Shoot for 6-8 reps for 1 heavy set
Shoot for 8-10 reps for 1 moderate set
Shoot for 12-15 reps for 1 light set

10% differences in weight between heavy to moderate and moderate to light sets. So if you're squatting 300lbs for the heavy set, moderate set would be 270lbs, and light set would be 245lbs.

I would train 4 times a week rotating these 3 days.

As for losing weight, that really is how consistent you are with diet, cardio, and training. Read what I have in the fat loss portion and let me know if you need anything else. If you don't want to get so strict as to start cycling carbs and such, using a basic guideline like "no carbs after 4pm" would definitely help. Eat clean too!

I've got my sister on a diet and she's losing weight steadily and is getting freakishly strong haha.

Quote:
Yeah, of course. I didn't mean it like you'd get ripped. Yeah, she doesn't exercise at all...that I know of, and if so VERY little. And she doesn't eat the best...How do you tell your mom you think she should live better lol?
You could be straight up about it and tell her lol. My family slowly started to follow my eating habits. I'm helping out my sister with her diet right now and she's leaning out great and getting strong in the process. My parents don't really diet, but they eat much cleaner now.

So maybe if you start eating better and promote a healthier life-style, it may rub off on her

Last edited by blaaaow; 06-27-2008 at 07:01 PM.

06-27-2008   #13 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker
Games
Trickster Online

mirc is on a distinguished road
IGN: BuffaIo

Is this good for bulk training? (Well for benching)
*Lifting 95% of my weight
*8 reps
*5 sets
*1-2 min rest between each set

But I'm just going to go slightly bulk. So I also do some toning too, so I can get be in the middle between the too. But just slightly towards the bulk side.

Oh before I forget what exercises do you recommend for working trapezius besides shoulder shrugs and upright rows? Lol, also nice back, your deezed.

Last edited by mirc; 06-27-2008 at 07:37 PM.

06-27-2008   #14 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Addict

Quote:

You could be straight up about it and tell her lol. My family slowly started to follow my eating habits. I'm helping out my sister with her diet right now and she's leaning out great and getting strong in the process. My parents don't really diet, but they eat much cleaner now.

So maybe if you start eating better and promote a healthier life-style, it may rub off on her
Ya know what, that sounds good. I'll have to try this. Thanks for the help ^^.
R.I.P MT and daakuhiryuu

06-27-2008   #15 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Moogler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirc
Is this good for bulk training? (Well for benching)
*Lifting 95% of my weight
*8 reps
*5 sets
*1-2 min rest between each set

But I'm just going to go slightly bulk. So I also do some toning too, so I can get be in the middle between the too. But just slightly towards the bulk side.

Oh before I forget what exercises do you recommend for working trapezius besides shoulder shrugs and upright rows? Lol, also nice back, your deezed.
Any training program will give good results as long as you stay consistent and PROGRESS in weight, reps, or intensity. Keep a training journal and if you're doing the same weight or reps on a specific exercise 3-4 months from now, you know you're doing something wrong.

If you're trying to gain mass, benching isn't the only thing you should do. You should squat and deadlift too! Those two exercises specifically promote testosterone production and work every muscle in your body, thus adding muscle mass everywhere. I used to only bench and curl the first couple of months of my training (yea I know, the "bro" workout), but after I added in squatting and deadlifting, I blew up everywhere.

Sounds like you want to take a route where you want to gain slowly in order to minimize fat gains. This will highly depend on your diet. I can't really give detailed suggestions since I don't know your training/dieting experience, body type, etc., but utilize cardio on low carb/non-training days (20-30 minutes low intensity) and increase carbs/fats SLOWLY until you find your sweet spot.

For working your traps, I really only recommend heavy deadlifts. They may not be considered a trapezius exercise, but show me a person who deadlifts 500-600lbs with small traps . Deadlifts are the best overall back exercise and hits the traps extremely well also.

Quote:
Ya know what, that sounds good. I'll have to try this. Thanks for the help ^^.

Last edited by blaaaow; 06-27-2008 at 11:41 PM.

06-28-2008   #16 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker
Games
Trickster Online

thanks for the tips. I also do other exercises besides just benching such as standing bicep curls, skull crusher, dips, crunches, bent over row, etc.. I also increase weights if I feel the exercise is getting too easy or if I am going way over my rep range. But one thing I have a bad leg injury so that prevents me from doing any good workout on my legs. As of now I just run to build leg muscle, so squats I try to avoid, which I heard from others and you, is a really good exercise. So that sucks for me.

I'm gonna follow your tip and start doing dead lifts. But I'm probably gonna need a spotter for that to see if I am keeping my back straight. Or I'm gonna have one hell of a bad back pain. Lol, and watching my diet is gonna be really hard for me to do cuz I'm a chocolate addict lol. Which is one of the main reasons why my abs don't show as much.

I have another question (Probably will have more lol, just to lazy to ask for now), am I overexerting myself? Well what happens is that I recently started to run a lot, was a lazy person before never really ran much. But now I run like crazy and afterwards I get bad leg pain, manly around my shins, ankles, and knees. So could it be that I started too fast, and I should have slowly increased intensity? I also have something else but I guess I'll ask you when I wake up.

Oh and I almost forgot to say, really well written guide and very informative. Also thanks for the help and tips

Last edited by mirc; 06-28-2008 at 01:29 AM.

06-28-2008   #17 (permalink)
Vinyl Side Up

AurorasParadox has disabled reputation

Great guide =O

Quote:
Gaining Mass:
Commonly referred to as “bulking,” gaining mass requires a caloric surplus that will support growth. I personally like to cycle my carbohydrates so that I take in much more carbohydrates on training days than I do on off days. On these “high carb days,” I keep fat intake to a minimum. On the “low carb days,” I lower my carbohydrates to only the first 2 meals in the day, and replace the carbohydrates in later meals with fats from the list above.

- Tips:
o Add oatmeal to protein shakes in a blender. This is an EXTREMELY easy way to add a great source of carbohydrates into your diet when you can barely eat any more.
o If you have trouble gaining weight, YOU MUST FORCE FEED AND GET IN THOSE 6-8 MEALS! This will make your break your goals.
o Do low intensity morning cardio before eating in the morning. This will get your appetite RAGING throughout the day.
o Refer to basic nutrition guidelines.
About the highlighted... what do you mean by low intensity morning cardio? (I'm not really familiar with this terms =x)

Also, what do you mean by low and high carb days?

I'm kinda underweight and well, I've been trying to "bulk up" my self for ages =x
Thanks for your guide btw.

06-28-2008   #18 (permalink)
Snow Vampire
Special
Games
Atlantica Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorSpirit of ggFTW

Miyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Miyuki
IGN: Sarafina

Quote:
Yeah, that.

Tho I've bit trouble on adjusting at least 8 hours a day for the sleep time. [yay for office work and part time study @_@]

Anyway, good guide.

/This thread deserves sticky x3.

06-28-2008   #19 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Moogler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirc
thanks for the tips. I also do other exercises besides just benching such as standing bicep curls, skull crusher, dips, crunches, bent over row, etc.. I also increase weights if I feel the exercise is getting too easy or if I am going way over my rep range. But one thing I have a bad leg injury so that prevents me from doing any good workout on my legs. As of now I just run to build leg muscle, so squats I try to avoid, which I heard from others and you, is a really good exercise. So that sucks for me.

I'm gonna follow your tip and start doing dead lifts. But I'm probably gonna need a spotter for that to see if I am keeping my back straight. Or I'm gonna have one hell of a bad back pain. Lol, and watching my diet is gonna be really hard for me to do cuz I'm a chocolate addict lol. Which is one of the main reasons why my abs don't show as much.

I have another question (Probably will have more lol, just to lazy to ask for now), am I overexerting myself? Well what happens is that I recently started to run a lot, was a lazy person before never really ran much. But now I run like crazy and afterwards I get bad leg pain, manly around my shins, ankles, and knees. So could it be that I started too fast, and I should have slowly increased intensity? I also have something else but I guess I'll ask you when I wake up.

Oh and I almost forgot to say, really well written guide and very informative. Also thanks for the help and tips
What kind of leg injury do you have? Maybe I can help you find a way to work around it. You really should work your legs... they're half your body!

It's tough to find someone who will be able to help you out with form on the deadlifts since the average gym goer doesn't do them. Best thing to do would be to record yourself deadlifting just the bar and watch yourself to correct the problem. Or if you were to put that type of vid on youtube I could give my suggestions.

About that leg pain you're getting... ever hear of shin splints? I had terrible shin splints when I started running consistently. I'm not an expert on running, but my friend who does track suggested that I get new shoes. My current shoes were all beat up and when I got a new pair the shin splints slowly went away. I now also have orthodics that I had custom made from a podiatrist because I am flat-footed. My track friend also suggested I run "heel-toe" instead of on my toes when I am doing cardio (it's different than when you are sprinting).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurorasParadox
Great guide =O

About the highlighted... what do you mean by low intensity morning cardio? (I'm not really familiar with this terms =x)

Also, what do you mean by low and high carb days?

I'm kinda underweight and well, I've been trying to "bulk up" my self for ages =x
Thanks for your guide btw.
DOH! I really should have explained those terms. Sometimes I think everyone knows what I'm talking about . I'll add those terms to the guide eventually.

There is many different arguments to what type of cardio is better, so I just want to remind everyone this is my opinion.

When I refer to low intensity cardio, I mean any sort of activity that gets your heart-rate up to 120-140 bpm. If you don't go to the gym, a good guideline is that you can continue the activity while carrying on a conversation. This type of cardio burns more actual fat while doing the cardio, so it should be be done for lengthy periods of time. I hope that makes sense.

Another type of cardio I may refer to is HIIT or high intensity interval training. This is when you do intervals of high intensity cardio and intervals of short rest. An example would be sprinting the straights of a track and walking the curves. Another example would be is while on the bike at a gym, bike at 100% effort for 15 seconds, then at 50% effort for 45 seconds.
HIIT mostly burns glycogen stores (carbs) instead of actual fat on your body, but elevates your metabolism for the rest of the day. Do not do HIIT if you have no carbs in you. When you lack carbs, your body will turn to muscle for a fuel source and convert them into glucose to use during this type of cardio. So always have some sort of carb meal before performing HIIT. A good place to start is doing 10-15 intervals.

I like to do a mixture of both when dieting to lose weight, but when I am aiming to gain weight, I usually only utilize low-intensity cardio on low carb days to keep my body fat under control and just because cardio is healthy for your heart.

For low carb days, 2 out of the 6 meals have carbohydrates. The other 4 out of the 6 meals have fats in replacement of carbohydrates. You have to have the fats since fats promote fat burning and the production of testosterone.

A typical low days for me may look like:
Meal 1: 3/4 cup oatmeal and 1.5 scoops whey
Meal 2: 1 cup white rice and 4 oz chicken
Meal 3: 4 oz chicken and 1 teaspoon of all natural peanut butter and 3 fish oil capsules
Meal 4: 1.5 scoops protein powder and 1 teaspoon of all natural peanut butter and 3 fish oil capsules
Meal 5: 4.5 oz steak and 1 teaspoon of all natural peanut butter and 3 fish oil capsules
Meal 6: 4 oz chicken and 1 teaspoon of all natural peanut butter and 3 fish oil capsules

On high carb days, fats are kept to a minimum, but you supply a good amount of carbohydrates in each meal except the last. I also lower the amount of protein on this day.

For me, a high day may look like this:
Meal 1: 1.5 cups oatmeal and 1 scoop whey
Meal 2: 2 cups of rice 2.5 oz chicken
Meal 3: 1.5 cups oatmeal and 1 scoop whey
Meal 4 (Post workout): 2.5 cups oatmeal, 1.5 scoops whey
Meal 5: 2 cups of rice 2.5 oz chicken
Meal 6: 1.5 cups oatmeal and 1 scoop whey
Meal 7: 3 oz chicken + vegetables

Today is a high day or me and right now I'm eating 7 eggwhites with 2 cups of rice. So you can eat anything for any meal just as long as your getting your nutritional requirements.

I just want to say that the diets posted above are what work for ME. I don't want a random girl or guy eating the above diet in the same amounts I do for myself... because s/he'll get fat!

nutritiondata.com This is a good place to find out how many carbs/fats/protein you are eating in your meals.

Medium days are for people who are trying to lose weight. In this case, medium days would be used on some training days in replacement of some high days. On these days have 3 carb meals and 3 fat meals. Save 1 of the 3 carb meals for post-workout whenever that may be.

For you, who seem like me in the beginning where I had A LOT of trouble gaining weight, just eat the right foods and increase the amount slowly until you start gaining steadily. Use the mirror and measurements to get the best feedback. Make sure not to skip meals either .

Another note is to not give so much attention to the weight scale. Also BE PATIENT! Trying to gaining a pound a week is not really realistic. Think about it... 52 weeks or something in a year... so in a year you'll have 52 lbs of newly built muscle? PSHHH. See what I'm getting at? Set realistic goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyuki
Yeah, that.

Tho I've bit trouble on adjusting at least 8 hours a day for the sleep time. [yay for office work and part time study @_@]

Anyway, good guide.

/This thread deserves sticky x3.
Yea... I've honestly been having trouble getting my sleep in so I know what you mean. Juggling school, work, training, and a girlfriend is tough.

and lol I'm honored Thanks!

Also guys I'm just typing as I go, so if I said something retarded. Tell me I'm an idiot and I'll fix it lol

EDIT: and I just got stickied

Last edited by blaaaow; 06-28-2008 at 07:37 AM.

06-28-2008   #20 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker
Games
Trickster Online

Quote:
What kind of leg injury do you have? Maybe I can help you find a way to work around it. You really should work your legs... they're half your body!
Lol, my leg injury I got it when I got drunk. I was all tipsy and kept falling over so I bashed my knees a lot and my leg got all cut up. Then after that my cuts got infected too so my legs are kind of a mess right now.

Also about shin splits thats what I was thinking that it could be. Was just looking for a second opinion first, cuz my doctor is stupid. She's just like "Oh take these pills for your leg and it should get better." Lol, still not better..

Well I also have another thing to ask. Like I said earlier I just started running a lot, but I also get chest pain after. When I finish running my lungs would be killing and my chest would tighten up, do you know what it could be? I'm gonna try to get some xrays done to see if its anything more.