Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Iris Online

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
10-30-2012   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Awards Event WinnerSotW Beginner

Michiko is a splendid one to beholdMichiko is a splendid one to beholdMichiko is a splendid one to beholdMichiko is a splendid one to beholdMichiko is a splendid one to beholdMichiko is a splendid one to beholdMichiko is a splendid one to behold
IGN: Gumball / =Michiko=
Class: Arme / Bunny to_bunny
Level: 73 / 162
Guild: Pwnography
Default Ways to relieve stress?

I've been struggling with depression and anxiety this year and I'm pretty new on this... and just now I'm starting my finals, and I've realized that pretty much the smallest thing triggers my depression and stress.
Today was a really tiring day and I feel really bad, I couldn't eat and I feel like I'm at the edge.

Is there a way you relieve stress/depression with? If so, it would be very helpful if you could share...
<3

( ̄▽ ̄)ノ_彡☆バンバン!!

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
10-30-2012   #2 (permalink)
[夢]
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineGunboundLuniaAtlantica Online

Yume has disabled reputation
IGN: Yume/Relief/夢
Guild: Drop/JW/Kirameki/Hores(FT)

I don't know how to handle depression, but I can give you some advice on relieving stress.

Basically, stress doesn't go away. At least not for me. No matter how prepared I feel for an exam, I always feel very gittery beforehand, but once I sit down with the paper, I go into an exam mode.

Prioritize your time.
If you have assignments and exams at the same time, decide which to work/study on.
If the assignment will help you with your exam, I advise you to do the assignment first (depending on due date too).
Determine what subjects/topics you are most confident in, and don't spend too much time reviewing it -- learn everything else.
Have a white board. Write on it, erase it. Repeat. Do this for diagrams, formulas, lists etc. I'm a science student, so I use this a lot in drawing chemical structures and other things.
Make sure you study in a quiet place. Don't get distracted. Sit and finish part of a section or topic before you do something else. It is good to take breaks, and study in short intervals, but nothing gets accomplished if you take 10 min to study, and 10 min break.
I know sometimes it's hard to get into a studying mode, but sometimes you just have to force yourself to sit and concentrate. Get some thing accomplished, and hopefully that will motivate you to cover more topics, and then you'll feel more prepared for your exam and feel less stressed.

Did I also mention games? No, no I didn't and that's the point. Refrain yourself from playing because it will suck away your time like a leech. I know there's the innocent "I'm just gonna' check what's going on!" but then an hour flies by and panic rushes in "I don't have enough time to study!"
Just remember that you can play games and do whatever you want once you've gotten exams and assignments out of the way. I usually sacrifice sleep in order to study longer, or finish an assignment. Not a very healthy thing, but it's a system that works for me. I always have the mindset that "I can always sleep later, but I have things to do NOW."

All in all, prioritize your time. Study diligently to avoid panicking "I don't have enough time!". If you have questions on course material, ask your teacher/prof/friend. There is no shame in asking.
When I am REALLY busy, I don't have time to socialize or talk much but I catch up with people afterwards. That's part of prioritizing. Though I say this, remember not to isolate yourself. You need to take breaks and get fresh air. Remember to eat. Eating is very important to power your mind and feel energized. If you feel lethargic, try to do some stretches during your study breaks and remember to eat healthy!

Good luck.

10-30-2012   #3 (permalink)
2 kawaii 4 u
Games
DofusWorld of WarcraftSword 2Soul Master
Awards Facebook Fan

kuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant futurekuyaBaka has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to kuyaBaka Send a message via Skype™ to kuyaBaka
IGN: Unicornkitty
Class: Holy Paladin (PvE+PvP)
Level: Pro-level.
Guild: Get Some LLC

Especially when it comes to studying, sometimes talking to myself helps relieve some of the stress. Also, moving around a lot while studying helps keep yourself energetic and gets the blood pumping to your brain.

Diablo 3: 60 Witch Doctor; Battletag: Kebbysaurus#1662
WoW(US): Gishy(Mal'Ganis), Unicornkitty(Hyjal), Yigit(Hyjal)
tumblr? | twitter me timbers!

10-30-2012   #4 (permalink)
-
Special
Games
FlyFFAngels OnlineKitsu SagaSecret of the Solstice
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerEvents RegularSotW JuniorHarem JuniorDetail DetectiveFinders, KeepersTHE CHAMP

Almora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Almora

When I had really bad depression in high school, I would just sleep. Sleeping would help me clean out my head. Even now, sleeping fixes a lot of my problems. Sometimes I would also keep myself busy with graphical projects for a few hours or watch something funny/romantic to lighten my mood.

If the silence became too unbearable, I would listen to music or plug any kind of sound into my ears to relax and help me concentrate. I had a very hard time concentrating. There's something about music that makes people feel calm.

Also having someone you can talk to really helps out a ton. You can't keep whatever is bothering you all bottled up inside, it's not healthy.

For me, it was usually one major thing that made me sad. The key for me was to shift my attention onto something else so I wouldn't keep thinking about it.

I'm not sure if it's just one thing for you or just anything that makes you sad, but I hope it helps. It's different for everybody.

10-30-2012   #5 (permalink)
STARVE THE EGO *
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineTrickster OnlineMapleStoryAudition
Awards Event WinnerWandering EyeFacebook Fan

Math is a splendid one to beholdMath is a splendid one to beholdMath is a splendid one to beholdMath is a splendid one to beholdMath is a splendid one to beholdMath is a splendid one to beholdMath is a splendid one to behold
IGN: Sowwey
Class: Xe
Level: 1/50
Guild: Noctis

For stress, I always go out for a run. I've never been the athletic type, I always hated sports, but when I feel so stressed out or under pressure, I go out for a long jog. To me, it feels free to just escape from everything, take a long time alone and have the wind blow through your hair. (Deep, right?) You can take a tour around the whole neighborhood or a portion of the city, but I like to stop at parks and swing on the swings.

I agree with Yume about playing games. I was extremely obsessed with video games it was so ridiculous. Stay away from games if you are busy, use that time to study more for a test or take a rest from all your work if you feel like you need it.
If you feel like video games help you relax, then keep going. For some people, time online can be a great place to take some time out from the real world and just enjoy yourself.
I hope you are not, but if you are obsessed with video games like I was, then force yourself to stop. Cut off the internet, give your computer away to a close friend for safekeeping, do something. If you have free time, you can always draw or read or write. Going back to games might get you hooked again.

Be optimistic. Just look on the bright side; if you think that something is going to be horrible, it's probably going to end up being horrible because you thought it was going to be. If you study, prepare, work out, whatever, for a big event, you're going to be fine if you prioritize your time right and try your hardest.
On the topic of keeping a schedule, manage your time so everything will work out. If you do this, you'll see progress, and you wouldn't have to worry about it anymore.

DO NOT PUSH YOURSELF. Some people argue this with me, but I absolutely agree that you should never push yourself.

Unless you are doing bad or see a fall in your grades, do not work more than you should. This will just add stress and more pressure at being perfect. You do not have to be perfect and you do not have to push yourself. Work hard, but not too much. You do not have to go over your limit in order to be amazing.

10-31-2012   #6 (permalink)
[夢]
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineGunboundLuniaAtlantica Online

Yume has disabled reputation
IGN: Yume/Relief/夢
Guild: Drop/JW/Kirameki/Hores(FT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky
For stress, I always go out for a run. I've never been the athletic type, I always hated sports, but when I feel so stressed out or under pressure, I go out for a long jog. To me, it feels free to just escape from everything, take a long time alone and have the wind blow through your hair. (Deep, right?) You can take a tour around the whole neighborhood or a portion of the city, but I like to stop at parks and swing on the swings.

I agree with Yume about playing games. I was extremely obsessed with video games it was so ridiculous. Stay away from games if you are busy, use that time to study more for a test or take a rest from all your work if you feel like you need it.
If you feel like video games help you relax, then keep going. For some people, time online can be a great place to take some time out from the real world and just enjoy yourself.
I hope you are not, but if you are obsessed with video games like I was, then force yourself to stop. Cut off the internet, give your computer away to a close friend for safekeeping, do something. If you have free time, you can always draw or read or write. Going back to games might get you hooked again.

Be optimistic. Just look on the bright side; if you think that something is going to be horrible, it's probably going to end up being horrible because you thought it was going to be. If you study, prepare, work out, whatever, for a big event, you're going to be fine if you prioritize your time right and try your hardest.
On the topic of keeping a schedule, manage your time so everything will work out. If you do this, you'll see progress, and you wouldn't have to worry about it anymore.

DO NOT PUSH YOURSELF. Some people argue this with me, but I absolutely agree that you should never push yourself.

Unless you are doing bad or see a fall in your grades, do not work more than you should. This will just add stress and more pressure at being perfect. You do not have to be perfect and you do not have to push yourself. Work hard, but not too much. You do not have to go over your limit in order to be amazing.
I agree with most of this. If I am SUPER busy, then I honestly can't really relieve any stress, but if you have time, do some exercises. Physical activity should rejuvenate you a bit. I'm enrolled in a dance class that I go to once a week and I do my best to commit myself to going even if I'm busy. I feel really good afterwards. The mind and body need exercise. I for one, like to bake to relieve stress but that is only if I have time. It takes my mind off school, but it also keeps me focused.

Basically if you prioritize things, you won't need to push yourself so much and cram material and stress before a final.
I'm stressing the no-games thing because this is a game forum, but sacrifices will have to be made. Try to stay away from games as much as possible. Computers/internet hold a lot of distractions. I know talking with people may relieve some tension, but it can also eat up a lot of your time so make sure you watch how much you're studying and how much you're playing.

11-01-2012   #7 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular

Summerishere will become famous soon enough

What i do when i'm all stressed out with my work
I put on my headphones and listen to music and then
I just close my eyes and sing along with the music

Also watching funny clips, movies or anime help me relax
and regain my cheerfulness so i can continue with my work

11-02-2012   #8 (permalink)
deny 'til you die
Games
Dragon NestTrickster OnlineLeague of Legends
Awards Event WinnerWandering Eye

Mirage is a splendid one to beholdMirage is a splendid one to beholdMirage is a splendid one to beholdMirage is a splendid one to beholdMirage is a splendid one to beholdMirage is a splendid one to beholdMirage is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to Mirage
IGN: MagicianHana

I actually find writing to be a good way to relieve stress. Whenever something's bothering me, I like to write it down. If I need to rant, I do that as well. It helps with relieving your stress because you aren't bottling it up. Ranting out in little bits to threads designed to just be random ranting and all that help too [I like to do that in the "Message to Anyone" thread we have here in the forums; let's me say my side to another person / rant to them].

Also, I do agree with Almora with sleep. Lots of times when I feel depressed or just stressed, it gets to the point where I'm just plain tired. By that time, sleeping helps clear your thoughts [as Almora said] and also puts time between you and whatever you were stressing about. Sleep does relax.

Also, I suggest music. But not just any music - instrumentals only. They tend to be more relaxing depending on the genre you like better, the volume, and the instruments being played. When I'm studying or just plain frustrated / depressed, I listen to my instrumentals. The lack of words lets you think and feel the tone of the song more.

she runs because
that's the only thing
she can do.

11-02-2012   #9 (permalink)
Posts when passionate.
Games
Battle of the ImmortalsFlyFFGrand ChaseLa Tale
Awards Facebook Fan

Riolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant futureRiolu has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to Riolu
IGN: Kremet
Class: Seleana lt_sorcerer
Level: 70
Guild: KuroNeko
Xfire: riolu

Chocolate and black tea.

Yes i'm fat.

11-02-2012   #10 (permalink)
Joy
LDR
Games
Trickster OnlineEden EternalLeague of Legends

Joy has a brilliant futureJoy has a brilliant futureJoy has a brilliant futureJoy has a brilliant futureJoy has a brilliant futureJoy has a brilliant futureJoy has a brilliant futureJoy has a brilliant futureJoy has a brilliant futureJoy has a brilliant futureJoy has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to Joy
IGN: Joycelin
Level: Silver♥

I agree with what Math said.
Go out on a run. It will relax you.

And you could
a. Listen to music.
b. YouTube some funny videos.

No matter how down I am funny videos always make me crack a smile.

11-02-2012   #11 (permalink)
200%♥
Games
Trickster OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Facebook FanPervert Award

LauraMix has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiesNCream
I agree with what Math said.
Go out on a run. It will relax you.

And you could
a. Listen to music.
b. YouTube some funny videos.

No matter how down I am funny videos always make me crack a smile.

Watch more Source Filmmaker since 90% of them are funny.

Or Like other people say, Listen to music: May I suggest some Pony Music?

"There is no Real ending. It's just the place where you stop the story." -Frank Herbert

11-02-2012   #12 (permalink)
Joy
LDR
Games
Trickster OnlineEden EternalLeague of Legends

Joy has a brilliant futureJoy has a brilliant futureJoy has a brilliant futureJoy has a brilliant futureJoy has a brilliant futureJoy has a brilliant futureJoy has a brilliant futureJoy has a brilliant futureJoy has a brilliant futureJoy has a brilliant futureJoy has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to Joy
IGN: Joycelin
Level: Silver♥

Yah, if you want funny vids... Just ask LauraMix 8D.
Ohhohh. Show her the football player one. Where he says "it's just a game".

11-02-2012   #13 (permalink)
200%♥
Games
Trickster OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Facebook FanPervert Award

LauraMix has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiesNCream
Yah, if you want funny vids... Just ask LauraMix 8D.
Ohhohh. Show her the football player one. Where he says "it's just a game".

Btw It's Hockey :x

"There is no Real ending. It's just the place where you stop the story." -Frank Herbert

11-04-2012   #14 (permalink)
ღ 愛わいつも。<3
Games
Eden EternalPangyaTrickster OnlineLeague of Legends
Awards Facebook Fan

Sunniiee is a jewel in the roughSunniiee is a jewel in the roughSunniiee is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Sunniiee Send a message via Skype™ to Sunniiee
IGN: Seyeumi ☕
Class: Mid, Adc, Support to_soulmaster

This may sound a bit silly but...for emotional issues, watching something like a drama (after you're done with your studying and exams) when you have free time, or something that has a lot of emotional ups and downs can help clear out your emotions and it captures you into emotions about the show so you don't have to worry about your own. This normally lasts afterward also if you think about the show, so you could try that ~

11-05-2012   #15 (permalink)
ggFTW Fan
Awards Facebook Fan

Sizzurp is on a distinguished road
IGN: Holla Holla Get Dolla
Level: 30 - 30
Xfire: ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)( ͡

When I'm stressed I usually do this:
A) Get in the pool.
B) Watch VEVO musical vids/covers.
C) Phone/Wpp friends for fun.
D) Sleep 8D.
E) Get fun in the kitchen cooking weird things.

11-06-2012   #16 (permalink)
Time Breaker

Bolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud of

Play some flash games

12-26-2012   #17 (permalink)
joc
ggFTW Lurker

joc is on a distinguished road

From my experience.

1. Drink a lot of water.
2. Don't eat s*t.
3. Do sports.
4. Do stuff for youself (e.g. taking walks, a nice haircut, have a good meal)

Worked for me