ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Beauty, Fashion, Fitness & Health (http://ggftw.com/forum/beauty-fashion-fitness-health/)
-   -   Discolored Toenail (http://ggftw.com/forum/beauty-fashion-fitness-health/109229-discolored-toenail.html)

iFarted 03-07-2012 02:40 AM

Discolored Toenail

Hi.

About 2 and a half weeks ago, I was playing Ultimate Frisbee and I was wearing some shoes that were kinda small. Well, I hadn't clipped my toenail in a while at that time, so, when I was playing, the toenail was.. I guessed forced inwards? When I took a look at my toenail afterwards, it was purple blackish and I assumed it bled inside. During the first few days, if I put pressure on top and/or against it, it would hurt. But the pain subsided and now it feels fine.

But the discoloring is still there. I don't really mind the discoloring, I just want to know if it will still be fine if the pain is not present anymore. Also wondering if the discoloring will eventually go away?

I took a picture of my foot with my bad webcam.

Spoiler!

Kudaranai 03-07-2012 06:05 AM

It's probably the dried up blood stuck under your nails. This happened to me (not as bad as yours) when I hit my long toe while getting out of the shower. It bled quite a bit and the top half of my long toe stayed darken because of the blood underneath. It took a couple of months before I was able to clip the nail and along with the dried blood that was stuck. Although, yours look way worse than what happened to me. I always suggest people to see doctors even if it seems like a tiny thing though. You never know.

PS, re-read my reply and it sounds grosser than it actually is.

Aimee 03-07-2012 06:29 AM

Last year I dropped a heavy magnet on my toe at work, and it looked much like yours is now, though it was unbearable pain that didn't go away until it had been seen to at the doctors.
Even if the pain has gone away, I'd go to the doctors as they can release the blood from under the nail by making a small hole (which isn't painful) if they think its necessary. You may end up losing the nail also.
As for the color, it took a year for mine to go back to normal completely, and thats after the blood had been released the day after I had done it.

Queen 03-07-2012 08:51 AM

You can get an ingrown toenail from wearing shoes that are too small. I have a cuticle infection so I recently googled discolored toenails, ha. Basically if it is an ingrown toenail they have to cut it and remove the ingrown part. I'd see a doctor. I had to see a doctor as well (that's how I found out it was a cuticle infection, the person who gave me a pedicure pushed em down too far), and he mentioned ingrown cause I was apparently cutting my toenails wrong.

Kudaranai 04-03-2012 03:19 PM

3 weeks! Has it gotten any better yet?

iFarted 04-03-2012 05:05 PM

Hi. Thank you for your concern. My toenail is still the same, but..

I was playing basketball the other day and now my other toenail is discolored.

Queen 04-03-2012 05:11 PM

If the blood is getting trapped underneath they might need to get removed. Which is not fun (I recently got one toenail removed as it was trapping in infection, and after two rounds of antibiotics the other one got worse, it's probably going this Friday)

Go. See. A. Podiatrist. And get new shoes! They're probably digging in by forced-ingrowth from small shoes.

I can't stress how much getting a toenail removed sucks, and this being from experience. If this is just your shoes being too small, it could've been prevented and I'm envious that you could've kept your toenails. Mine won't grow back in until after the summer if I'm lucky, and it can take up to a year where I won't have two big toenails.

Oh, and they can grow back in wrong and need to be permanently killed by burning the nail bed. Letting this go unchecked can potentially end in permanent loss of toenail assuming they need to be removed and assuming they don't grow in right.

edit: I wish I had more obvious warning signs for my problem, I didn't see the discoloration because the infection came from a pedicure so I had polish on. If I had caught this earlier, it would have just been epsom soaks and antibiotics. Now after two different antibiotics and constant soaking, my other toe got worse. Don't cheat yourself, see a doctor. It may not hurt, but having blood trapped under the nail I'm sure can lead to complications. It might not even be drainable anymore, I don't know. But the thought of anyone else losing toenails sickens me because it's just an unfavorable experience.

Pshfrk 04-03-2012 05:28 PM

You have cute feet . And bad luck

Jessica 04-03-2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chelie (Post 1700475)
If the blood is getting trapped underneath they might need to get removed. Which is not fun (I recently got one toenail removed as it was trapping in infection, and after two rounds of antibiotics the other one got worse, it's probably going this Friday)

Go. See. A. Podiatrist. And get new shoes! They're probably digging in by forced-ingrowth from small shoes.

I can't stress how much getting a toenail removed sucks, and this being from experience. If this is just your shoes being too small, it could've been prevented and I'm envious that you could've kept your toenails. Mine won't grow back in until after the summer if I'm lucky, and it can take up to a year where I won't have two big toenails.

Oh, and they can grow back in wrong and need to be permanently killed by burning the nail bed. Letting this go unchecked can potentially end in permanent loss of toenail assuming they need to be removed and assuming they don't grow in right.

edit: I wish I had more obvious warning signs for my problem, I didn't see the discoloration because the infection came from a pedicure so I had polish on. If I had caught this earlier, it would have just been epsom soaks and antibiotics. Now after two different antibiotics and constant soaking, my other toe got worse. Don't cheat yourself, see a doctor. It may not hurt, but having blood trapped under the nail I'm sure can lead to complications. It might not even be drainable anymore, I don't know. But the thought of anyone else losing toenails sickens me because it's just an unfavorable experience.

I know how that is. I used to wear small shoes and cut my toenails wrong as a teenager, I waited too long and had to get it removed. It grew back okay until it got to the tip of my toe, then it started to curve. I finally showed my mom, she got worried and took me again. After that the nail hasnt been the same. But since all that Ive been wearing looser shoes and dont clip my nails too short.

Im really mad at the prescription I got the second time. The antibiotics caused problems in my stomach that took 2 years, and tons of prevacid meds, to get rid of.

I have had something like that before, only a little smaller, and I just let it grow out. I just covered it with nail polish once a week, and waited a year. But since yours is the whole nail, Id get it checked out atleast.

Queen 04-03-2012 07:49 PM

Yeah, I've been trying to do research online since instead of a two-week check up I'm having a four week one for my first toenail removal. I'm honestly not sure if I'm growing a scab or a toenail, ha.

I was shocked to find that there's a good chance it won't ever grow back in right and it could just need to go permanently. So please, see a doctor. If you can't get an appointment, keep calling. Exaggerate. Anything.

Kudaranai 04-04-2012 07:07 PM

Omg, wtf? Get new shoes! See a doctor!

Seriously, now it's the other toe. Oh, lordy.

iFarted 05-13-2012 04:03 PM

In case anybody cares (aka me),
I went to see the doctor three days ago.
She said that my nails are fine and that it'll eventually be back to normal in three to six months.

Edit:

My doctor lied to me. I was suspicious that there was an ingrown toenail, but she reassured me that there wasn't one.
Today, my left toenail fell off. Yay!