View Poll Results: Want a tournament?
Yeah 11 73.33%
Nah 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
09-09-2008   #1 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Lurker

Kurdt is on a distinguished road
Default Tournament RP? Battle of the fittest?

pretty simple.

i'm thinking of make a tournament style RP. yaknow, we battle each other and see who is the victor? elimination style?

i wanna see who likes this idea, because it's a really simple thing to start, and you can easily maintain this and another RP at the same time. in fact, when not fighting, all your attention can go towards another RP.

so, just vote and see if you want to do this. if you want me to elaborate more on what im talking about, just ask. i think it's pretty self explanitory, however..

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
09-09-2008   #2 (permalink)
Back from the Grave

Deity is on a distinguished road
IGN: BattleGod
Guild: Titans

You have to elaborate more on it.

We need to know how the winners are decided, time-frame, environment (where the characters are fighting) and more importantly, rules.

09-09-2008   #3 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Lurker

Winners Decided:

EZ. I'll randomly pick people from those that decide to join. They fight. Winner moves onto the next round, etc etc.

If you mean battle wise, I'll, or someone else, will monitor the fight, and decide when it's over. Like, if you get impaled threw the head with a javelin, it's done. If you get poked in the foot with a knife, you could still be alive.

You can also just know when you lost too.. Make our jobs easier.

time-frame:

setting wise, there are no time limits. WWII guy could be fighting someone from the year 3256. you can still win.. haha.

i'm guessing that's not what you're talking about, however. when the battles occur, i have yet to decide that. there will probably be one battle going at once. POSSIBLY two near the beginning, but that's all. after one finishes, the next will go.

enviroment:

i may make all the enviroments be the same, or i may try to make it neutral for both sides. meaning, i won't put it on the beach if one character is a water user, etc etc.

i may also just make up my own enviroment, once again not benefitting to someone else..

rules:

this is the big one.

1. No freakin' godmodding. Everyone knows this. Simple. Don't be a super saiyan that can blow up the world with one easy simple blast. No.

2. Don't auto-hit. Some people might not know what I mean. Let me give you an example.

Joey jabs at John, and impales him.

No. You make the action, and the replier must choose whether it be hit or not.

3. This goes hand in hand with rules 1 + 2. Don't make it so your enemy misses EVERY SINGLE TIME. Don't make it so that you are untouchable by the enemy. That's stupid, and you'll instantly lose the match if I feel you're pushing it too far.

4. If you plan on going MIA for a bit, inform me ahead of time, PLZ. or, don't just ditch a match or something. i'm fine with one match lasting a week or two, but i dont want one match lasting a month because you feel like replying only every other day.

5. Goes with autohitting, don't make it so you know what your opponent does or something like that. Example:

Joey slices at John and John barely dodges.

No.

6. Don't be a sore loser. Don't be a cocky winner. That's simple. You win, good for you. Don't rub it in their face. If you lose, dont blame it on them, or whoever's spectatng and such.

That's all the rules i can think of, and they'll be modified somewhat, and some may be added.

09-09-2008   #4 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Awards Retired Forum Operations StaffMoM Award

Godbot3000 has disabled reputation
Guild: DashAttack

Define: Win.

People tend to be notoriously stubborn about letting their character lose, and will do all sorts of ridiculous things to prevent it.

09-09-2008   #5 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Lurker

Well, i'll start out the easy way to win. forfeit. lulz.

that's either voluntary or involuntary. it's only involuntary if you violate one of the rules, or go MIA.

but mostly, it's a fight to the death. of course, your character doesnt need to be erased and kept from all other RPs.. but, you get the point.

now, to get at what you're mostly asking, there's two ways of handling this.

a.) you can admit when you're dead, and be honest and make it easy. but, as you said, some people try to keep their characters alive at incredible lengths which leads to..

b.) like i said, someone will monitor the fights, and if they feel that someone is dragging out their characters life to an unfair level, they will be called out on it. from there, they will either just be informed that they're being watched, and shouldnt pull anymore crazy stunts, or the person assigned to monitor the battle will declare the other person a winner.

sorry, does that make sense? haha.

09-09-2008   #6 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurdt
b.) like i said, someone will monitor the fights, and if they feel that someone is dragging out their characters life to an unfair level, they will be called out on it. from there, they will either just be informed that they're being watched, and shouldnt pull anymore crazy stunts, or the person assigned to monitor the battle will declare the other person a winner.
Who, may I ask, is qualified to make such a judgment?

Warning: Trick question.

09-09-2008   #7 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Rusty HeartsDragon Nest

Griever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Griever
IGN: Werewolf
Class: Healer to_buffalo
Level: 20
Guild: RustyHearts

The author of the RP, should be qualified to make the judgment, or at least have the foresight to hand the final decision to someone responsible and fair.

And in all the RP duels I've encountered, there's usually nobody that is going to be all:

"OMG, I didn't lose. You lost. I'm stronger."

Competent RPers will be able to admit their loss.

09-09-2008   #8 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Lurker

Trick question?

well, you got me. i thought of a few answers.

a.) i can pick a select few who i deem necessary, that will give the appropriate title of winner that deserves it.

b.) we can vote on who will monitor the fights. which, all in all, may not even be me.

c.) when other people claim that someone has lost, we make a decision. if you get what i mean..

that's about all the ideas i have. i mean, im open for suggestions! and, with the people monitoring the fights, there could be more than one person monitoring a fight, so there could be more than one view.

09-09-2008   #9 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Incorrect.

No one is qualified to make such a judgment other than the character's creator. And given that they have a stake in the outcome, bias will be rampant.

For that reason, most role-play battle tournaments I've been in don't judge who wins the fight by who beats up the other guy worse, but by who role-played better.

Consider this:
Let's say Jose and Juan are in your tournament, Jose is very bad at writing, while Juan seems almost divinely inspired. They fight, and after a while, Jose's character gains the upper hand with simple 1 line posts that doesn't say anything except *<character name> bashes <character name> on head* (literally, *s included), while Juan is eloquently describing how his character is getting mortally wounded and what not.

Now in this case, according to your definition, Jose would obviously win, but ask yourself this: Would it be fair?

09-09-2008   #10 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Lurker

now I'll be honest, you have a point there.

that would be completely unfair.

the only thing i would think of is this:

still to the death fights. if one person is, as you said, "eloquently describing how his character is getting mortally wounded", and the other is doing one liners, we could do one of two things..

a.) we can let the fight go on, the indepth person wins, duh.

b.) stop the fight and change who the two are fighting.

OR

if the two role playing aren't too far apart in skill and talent, then we just go by a fighting to the death. if two opponents are extremely similar in skill, and it isn't obvious who is the better RPer, the winner is chosen by death.

i don't know. you brought up an extremely good point, though, and that's all i could think of to fix that.

i'm trying not to stray away from the whole idea of the winner being the one that stayed alive, however.

once again, i'll take any suggestions.

09-09-2008   #11 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Rusty HeartsDragon Nest

Griever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud ofGriever has much to be proud of

In that case, the person writing will almost always feel he or she deserves to win.

Obviously, the person who writes better will most likely have the upper hand. Just because the opponent may not write as well, doesn't mean he/she is unable to win the duel.

And if the author states in the rules, he/she will decide the final outcome, then...he or she will decide the final outcome. If an RPer is uncomfortable with that, they need not apply.

If the author will not decide the final winner, a third party must be brought in who has observed/participated in the Duel.

09-09-2008   #12 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Lurker

I'm thinking of another idea to solve who would be the victor in the match.

There should be someone watching the match, or several people watching the match, and the match lasts until someone dies.

Afterwards, those watching the match converse among themselves on who won the match. Some what like a jury.

After they come to an opinion, for whatever reason and they all agree, they state who won. However, they do not say WHY they won.

I really like this idea, because then it won't necessarily tell the loser they sucked, but it leaves a hint of mystery with who won.

But, like I said, everyone that is considered a "judge" would have to all agree on the same winner.

09-09-2008   #13 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griever
Obviously, the person who writes better will most likely have the upper hand.
What are you talking about?

Part of good role-playing is accepting that some attacks against your character will hit. Part of bad role-playing is denying that. Therefore, it is far more likely for the better role-player to be at a disadvantage.

I realize that I am generalizing, but from experience, this is the case in a lot of the rp fights I've been in, even back in the days when I was writing one-liners (where I would have been the person using godmode hax, but I'm getting sidetracked here).

^: The f? No matter how you look at it, the dead guy loses.

09-09-2008   #14 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Lurker

if the

Quote:
part was referring to me..

not necessarily. idk. i want to have a tournament, but you've brought up some very valid points, so i'm trying to work around them.

09-09-2008   #15 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Then I will ask you again to define 'win'.

In your last post you seem to have suggested that we have IC judges. If that is the case, what would *they* rule on? If the judges are OOC, what would they rule on then? Are you proposing that we have two separate prizes, one for the person who won by smashing people's face in, and one for the person who wrote the best?

...??????????????????????????????????

09-09-2008   #16 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Lurker

._____________.

here's a new idea.

we base the wins on a point system.

the one who LIVES say gets a bonus +3 points, to start off.

then, we get a few people, probably about three, that will talk about the fight. from there, they will decide where points are necessary to who, and such. like. let me give an example..

Joey lived the fight. He gets a bonus +3 points.

John didn't live, so he's still at 0 points.

Joey didn't receive any other points because all his posts were utter crap.

John posted outstandingly, and received a total of +4 points for having good posts.

Since John has more points, John is declared the victor of the match.

That's incorporating almost all my ideas, and a point system. And everyone loves a point system..

Anyways, I'll explain the whole spectators thing again..

I'll just say 3 as an example, but. 3 people are chosen to be the spectators, or judges. they watch the match and etc.

After someone dies in the match, they converse between themselves only, and all agree on who deserves how many points, etc.

From there, they announce the victor, and they say how many points each fighter had earned, and what for.

That way, the one who murdered his opponent is still acknowledged, yet the one who wrote better is the victor.

make sense, ya?

09-09-2008   #17 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Rusty HeartsDragon Nest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godbot3000
What are you talking about?

Part of good role-playing is accepting that some attacks against your character will hit. Part of bad role-playing is denying that. Therefore, it is far more likely for the better role-player to be at a disadvantage.

I realize that I am generalizing, but from experience, this is the case in a lot of the rp fights I've been in, even back in the days when I was writing one-liners (where I would have been the person using godmode hax, but I'm getting sidetracked here).

Exactly what I wrote.

Regardless of how the duel is judged, the better RPer will be able to articulate his attacks more and have a "stronger onslaught" rather than the person who simply does writes: *Forward slash & Blocks with Dragon shield*

Nobody is talking about dodging hits. Everyone knows you're going to suffer some form of harm in a duel. Dodging every single attack, would go directly into the category of cheezing/godmode-ing.

In order to "win" a duel, the opponent doesn't have to die.

Even with all of this, there doesn't even have to be a winner. Many people walk into a duel expecting to have a good fight and tell a short story.

09-09-2008   #18 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griever
Regardless of how the duel is judged, the better RPer will be able to articulate his attacks more and have a "stronger onslaught" rather than the person who simply does writes: *Forward slash & Blocks with Dragon shield*
No, you're still not getting what I'm saying. Generally speaking, good rpers will have *weaker* characters than bad rpers, as good rpers generally have gotten over the power trip factor of having an overpowered character. My first rp character fits this description quite nicely, as I did like power back then, that character eventually developed into a primordial god. Now, the process took over 5 years to complete, during which time I have considerably improved, and even though most people I've spoken too are fine with the overall transition given how I characterized it, an overpowered character is still an overpowered character. For that reason I have indefinitely ceased using my first rp character, except maybe I'll consider using him as my administrative godmode other godmode characters into the ground character.

@Kurdt: Eh, I think you're making it a bit too complicated than is necessary, but it's your tournament o.o

09-09-2008   #19 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Lurker

Yeah.. I think I'm trying too hard.

I do that. i'm just trying to get everyone pleased with the idea, and whatnot.

if we have this tournament, and go by these judge things, will you (godbot), and griever be up for being two of the "judges"?

you two seem to know what you're talking about, and i dont want any nubs assigning winners and such.

09-10-2008   #20 (permalink)
Orange

LittleJellybean is on a distinguished road
IGN: LittleJellybean
Class: Healer
Level: 6x

I guess it would be a good idea if everyone had limits.