ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > MMO Games > Other MMO Games > Atlantica Online > Atlantica Online Guides > Atlantica General Guides

Perfect World
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Perfect World

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
07-30-2009   #1 (permalink)
killing threda since 2007

badna0 is a glorious beacon of lightbadna0 is a glorious beacon of lightbadna0 is a glorious beacon of lightbadna0 is a glorious beacon of lightbadna0 is a glorious beacon of lightbadna0 is a glorious beacon of light
IGN: fLick3r/MrsT/Cod
Class: Bow/Saw/Cannon to_archaeologist
Level: 111/58/58
Guild: Moogles
Thumbs up badna0/fLick3r's PvP tips of randomness

exactly as listed in the title, random pointers that may or may not help you in PvP. I'll try to start low level and work my way up in complexity of strategy, as far as I can (div 8 atm), so sorry if I can't help you completely.

- Don't use Flame Sword on a Swordsman. They have fire resistance, and take half damage.

- There are three main types of attack weapons: melee, ranged, and staff. Know which types do bonus damage to which, etc:
melee - damage up vs. melee, damage down vs. ranged
ranged - damage up vs. ranged, damage down vs. staff
staff- damage up vs. melee, damage down vs. staff.

Keep in mind that some weapons have lower attack than others (staff), so staff damage vs. melee tends to equalize out with other weapons in PvP b/c of these attack trends.

- Stun occurs on Combo 3. You can accumulate combos by regular attacking a merc; each successive attack phase you hit a merc will increase its combo by 1. regular attacks that hit multiple targets (eg. cannons, etc.) are beneficial in that they accumulate combos much faster (known as combo/stun pressure).

- You can guard (keyboard 'g') a specific merc to decrease physical damage received by 50%. Guarding costs 50 AP, but also will "give" the activation to the merc with the next highest AP (provided the merc has at least 100 AP). This allows you to select which mercs you want to activate on a given turn.

- You can decrease your merc's combo counters by using the Monk's spell awakening. Awakening reduces combos by 2 @ skill level 11.

- Stunned mercs do not gain AP. Stunned mercs can not gain activations; Stunned mercs have guard status removed. however, a stunned merc with > 100 AP can act if the opposing player awakens, then guards to it.

- Stunned mercs take increased damage from physical attacks. If you're trying to spike a stunned merc with damage, you maximize your damage by using the appropriate attack type on the stunned merc (eg. stunned melee, hit with melee/staff, stunned ranged hit with ranged, etc, stunned staff hit w/ whatever cuz they have low hp).

-When you're upgrading mercenaries, upgrade the biggest difference makers first; these are primarily the mercs that get expanded AoE on their spells at each upgrade level. A few that come to mind:
Viking, level 20 gets a row freeze
Archer gets a row silence @ 20, and an extra turn @ 100
Shaman row heal @ 20
Artillery full formation DI @ 50.

-Freezing Axe is a good move, but it's not great. The monk can dispel it with HG, or a higher level player can use a purification scroll. Furthermore, frozen characters still gain AP, making freezing axe an inferior disable to mass stun, though it's still very useful.

-The maximum amount of activations a person has in a turn is 5. If you can somehow reduce the amount of activations a person gets in a turn, you'll be able to press your advantage.

ways to reduce activations:
stunning
freezing axe
lightning spear
melody of madness/silence/mana seal (quasi-activation reduction - merc still gets activated, but they can't do certain things with it).
Combine these threats for best effect. For example, freeze one row and stun one other merc, and you know exactly which 5 mercs will be activated. Now mana seal the monk, and they'll have to deal with it for a whole another turn.

- A lot of players have trouble countering the Exo in PvP; his mana seal silences your monk for 1 turn, even in the back row. Remember, keeping your monk unstunned is the key to success in PvP. If you don't awaken your monk on combo 1, the next turn will come combo 2 + seal and then you won't be able to prevent your monk from getting stunned. Thus, always awaken your monk on combo 1 vs. an Exo.

- When playing with an Exo, competent players won't let you stun their monk. Punish them otherwise by keeping up the stun pressure while freeze + seal.

- Scrolling is useful to free league. Make sure to pick up random scrolls (when a scroll icon pops up over an enemy merc) with your back-row mercs to make them harder to cancel. You can pick up a scroll by damaging that merc in any way.

- Cancelling scrolls - you need to regular attack someone three times to cancel the scroll they have queued. This means three full attacks; if your character gets lucky and regular attacks three times, this could take you only 1 activation. Most commonly though, it only takes 2 activations though sometimes it may take 3.

- You can cast the following manual scrolls in FL: Mana Pierce, Purify, Dispel, and Awakening. make sure to use them on mercs that are hard to hit, eg. witches/backrow mercs. this makes them harder to cancel. Using manual scrolls costs 50 AP. You can cast a max of 2 scrolls per match, so pick carefully.

Last edited by badna0; 08-10-2009 at 09:04 PM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
08-10-2009   #2 (permalink)
killing threda since 2007

badna0 is a glorious beacon of lightbadna0 is a glorious beacon of lightbadna0 is a glorious beacon of lightbadna0 is a glorious beacon of lightbadna0 is a glorious beacon of lightbadna0 is a glorious beacon of light
IGN: fLick3r/MrsT/Cod
Class: Bow/Saw/Cannon to_archaeologist
Level: 111/58/58
Guild: Moogles

two more handy PvP references. They're a bit lengthy to read, but application of these two concepts to PvP should increase your success in FL immensely.

How Skill Cooldown Works in Battle | AOP
Spoiler!

AP and Action Management in Battle | AOP
Spoiler!

Last edited by badna0; 08-10-2009 at 08:27 PM.

08-10-2009   #3 (permalink)
I KNOW THAT FEEL BRO
Special

Shirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Shirakani
IGN: Kyoji
Class: Shootin' Mah Balls
Level: 130
Guild: Minerva

Good info flick, has a

A few things that should be mentioned that aren't quite so obvious. These fall under 'advanced tactics' or 'little tricks you learn along the way' as well as 'shit I wish I knew before I went and levelled <skill> too high.'
  • Using any skill on top of a row that is affected by Freezing Axe/Ice Ridge Axe will do more damage. SIGNIFICANTLY more damage in the case of the latter.
  • Seth's Will can be used as a 'cheap' way to gain AP on a row that has low AP before immediately removing it with Holy Guard on the same turn. Additionally, if doing this in PvP at high divisions, it allows use of Seth's multi rate gain for one turn if your entire row has activations, as well as your monk and oracle. Seth the row, let them attack, then remove Seth with Holy Guard before your turn ends.
  • If a character has over 200 AP, that character can attack twice in one turn if two turns are passed to it. A common merc to use this on is a Janissary as using an activation to enter Shooting Stance, pass him another activation, shoot, pass him yet another activation, shoot again. This can do a ridiculous amount of damage to a column.
  • Awakening's -COMBO caps at 4, at skill level 31. Raising it any further only increases the amount of healing done. At skill level 70 it heals approx 1k HP. A lower level Awakening however can miss if the main's level is too high over the Monk.
  • Holy Guard does not miss at lvl1. Raising it higher simply increases the healing amount done per turn. At skill level 70 it heals approx 2k HP per turn, across 2 turns.
  • Mana Seal has a 100% hit rate at skill level 21. Raising it higher simply increases the DoT damage, which is insignificant in both PvE and PvP.
  • Speed Cast's +AP boost caps at skill level 51. Raising it higher simply raises the MP consumption and the passive heal amount.
  • Guard Dispel stops missing at lvl11. You only need 1 point in it at lvl100 when you can use a lvl100 charm. Do not level it any further, it does NO damage whatsoever, you only need it to not miss.

Last edited by Shirakani; 08-11-2009 at 05:51 PM.

08-11-2009   #4 (permalink)
Sleepy Pineapple
Special

Levin has disabled reputation
IGN: Sety
Class: Sleepy Pineapple
Level: 11x
Guild: KoC

I wish someone told me about mana seal earlier, but cool now i can get mana burn maxed out for no reason.

08-11-2009   #5 (permalink)
Lazy Lurkin'
Special
Games
Atlantica OnlineDofusTrickster OnlineRift: Planes of Telara

Javier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Javier
IGN: Ripchord
Class: Commando

^ At the level 80 upgrade, mana burn becomes a cross aoe.

At level 100, damage is significantly increased. I think my exo deals at least 1.5k damage in a cross with mana burn.. pretty decent damage in my book.

It's the nature of my circuitry.

08-11-2009   #6 (permalink)
Squirtle Squirtle
Games
Guild Wars 2Trickster OnlineAtlantica Online
Awards Facebook Fan

boomsticky is just really niceboomsticky is just really niceboomsticky is just really niceboomsticky is just really niceboomsticky is just really nice
IGN: Boomsticky
Class: Guardian lt_guardian
Level: 80

How about Guard Dispel? Is there a recommended level cap for it like Mana Seal? Any tips on it? I have a sword alt with lvl. 1 Guard Dispel and I'm wondering what else I can do with it.

08-11-2009   #7 (permalink)
I KNOW THAT FEEL BRO
Special

Shirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to behold

Guard Dispel only needs 1 point in it. It does not miss at level 11. Meaning 1+10 charm. Levelling it any higher is like putting points into Noble Sac as a Staff main. You can however level it up to 11 when under lvl100, then gradually dial it back down to 1 as you approach level 100.

Appended my original list with the information.

Last edited by Shirakani; 08-11-2009 at 05:56 PM.

08-17-2009   #8 (permalink)
Squirtle Squirtle
Games
Guild Wars 2Trickster OnlineAtlantica Online
Awards Facebook Fan

boomsticky is just really niceboomsticky is just really niceboomsticky is just really niceboomsticky is just really niceboomsticky is just really nice
IGN: Boomsticky
Class: Guardian lt_guardian
Level: 80

Guide has been moved to AO's General Guides.

09-05-2009   #9 (permalink)
Sleepy Pineapple
Special

Hmm thinking about it, isn't the cap on ap gain for speed cast 56?

09-06-2009   #10 (permalink)
I KNOW THAT FEEL BRO
Special

Nah, 51. If you want to verify, get it to 51, then raise a point to 52 and look at the skill info. It doesn't change. Just have a skill decrease book handy.

09-08-2009   #11 (permalink)
Sleepy Pineapple
Special

My exo ap went from 28 to 29 after skill lvl 56, but then again I'm not sure if the sword + magic skill works for passives.

Also note: http://aop.muwing.com/skill/speed-cast

Last edited by Levin; 09-08-2009 at 04:19 PM.

09-08-2009   #12 (permalink)
I KNOW THAT FEEL BRO
Special

Ok, i stand corrected... I didn't notice a gain after levelling speed cast to 54 which is why i dialled it back and left it at 51. Charms and Sword+'s do not work with passives AFAIK. Did you have physical skill level56 or 51+lvl80 charm?

09-09-2009   #13 (permalink)
Lazy Lurkin'
Special
Games
Atlantica OnlineDofusTrickster OnlineRift: Planes of Telara

Javier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud ofJavier has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Javier
IGN: Ripchord
Class: Commando

That's odd. I had mine at 60 in the past, and I recall dropping it to 51 without any AP change. Maybe this was another secret change?

It's the nature of my circuitry.

09-09-2009   #14 (permalink)
Sleepy Pineapple
Special

Maybe you didn't have your exo fully upgraded...that or it is a ninja patch but who knows? They've been doing that lately. Answer to a previous question, I have the skill physically at 56. Well now I physically notice something weird, only my oracle is getting the +29 ap while my monk and myself are getting 28.

Last edited by Levin; 09-10-2009 at 05:18 AM.

09-10-2009   #15 (permalink)
I KNOW THAT FEEL BRO
Special

I have no idea, AFAIK previously the AP cap was at skill lvl51, with no further gains. Upgrade had no effect. But meh, you're right on the sheer number of UNEXPLAINED ninja nerfs and changes lately.

Ninja nerfs to box drops in inds and ND's, MASSIVE ninja nerf to jackpot... blah.