ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > MMO Games > Other MMO Games > Atlantica Online > Atlantica Online Guides > Atlantica General Guides

Elsword
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Elsword

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
01-11-2009   #1 (permalink)
killing threda since 2007

badna0 is a glorious beacon of lightbadna0 is a glorious beacon of lightbadna0 is a glorious beacon of lightbadna0 is a glorious beacon of lightbadna0 is a glorious beacon of lightbadna0 is a glorious beacon of light
IGN: fLick3r/MrsT/Cod
Class: Bow/Saw/Cannon to_archaeologist
Level: 111/58/58
Guild: Moogles
Default Creating Effective Formations 101

if you like, +rep is nice as is... rate thread.

Just some random late-night thoughts about what makes a formation good/bad. Since it's critical that you have a good formation to maximize your strategy, I figured I'd make this guide to cover the basics.

First, let's look at goals you might go for with a strategy. Some of these are pretty general, but bear with me, it'll build into more interesting stuff (I hope).
  • Outdamage the opponent - pretty simple. You deal more damage than your opponent, you have a pretty good chance of winning.
Spoiler!

• Outlast your opponent - If you're alive at the end, and your opponent isn't, then you've won.
Spoiler!
  • Preventing your opponent from acting - also easy. If your opponent can't do anything, then you have a great advantage in that you are effectively doing more damage and taking less than your opponent.
Spoiler!

.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.: *~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._

Now why did I go through all that easy stuff? Well, it relates.

A good strategy has a balance of all three battle goals: Damage dealing, survival, and disabling.

It's important to keep your strategy balanced, so as to keep your options open and leave you able to adapt mid-battle.
  • Focusing purely on damage dealing (all guns, all swords, etc) might leave you unable to handle a disable threat (eg. someone freezes your front line and stuns 4 with arts, leaving 2 mercs able to act), or a durable melee line with healing support (eg. your damage gets healed back, while their damage chips away at your hp).
  • Focusing on outlasting or disabling (9 shamans with max heal, for example, or 9 artilleries) can lose because you have no way to focus a particular merc, or because your damage suffered when you concentrated on survival/disabling.
When you're assessing your build, always look to see if you're lacking any of the three primary goals for a battle: disabling, surviving, and damage-dealing.

When you figure out what you're missing, take some out of your strongest asset, and use it to shore up your weaknesses. For example, take out your least effective damage dealer to add a stun/disable pressurer, or take out an extra healer to add a damage dealer.

Spoiler!

Oftentimes at lower levels in Atlantica, you'll see 6-swordsman builds, 6 artillery builds, 6 gunner builds and other such garbage in an attempt to overwhelm an unprepared opponent.

Why won't these work against a better opponent? Simply because a more versatile opponent can respond to the threat and counter with something that a one-minded approach won't be able to handle. Keep your options open, and your confused opponent will need to keep adjusting and adapting. If you've picked your formation well, you'll be able to out-adapt and out-strategize them!

Example:
Spoiler!

Last edited by badna0; 01-12-2009 at 12:37 PM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
01-11-2009   #2 (permalink)

badna0 is a glorious beacon of lightbadna0 is a glorious beacon of lightbadna0 is a glorious beacon of lightbadna0 is a glorious beacon of lightbadna0 is a glorious beacon of lightbadna0 is a glorious beacon of light

2. Up next: Placing your mercs properly, etc.
3. How to rearrange effectively mid-battle.

01-11-2009   #3 (permalink)
LolWut?

TehAwesomo is on a distinguished road

oh nice guide, I will definitely be using this.

01-11-2009   #4 (permalink)
Resident Lurker
Games
VindictusTera OnlinePhantasy Star Online 2

Firzin is a jewel in the roughFirzin is a jewel in the roughFirzin is a jewel in the rough

Hey flick :3 since tai doesn't seem to be on this forum how does this build sound for PvP.
Exo|Sword(M)|BT
Spear|Viking|Gunner
Oracle|Prophet|Monk

I'm not sure if I can switch my Sword with the viking since people keep saying it's not that great of a tank and if I ever get to level 100 (long way I know >.>) I can probably hope to switch the spear with a spartan. Any tips

01-12-2009   #5 (permalink)

looks pretty good firz, the one thing i'm not too sure how it fits is the gunner. Maybe swap one out for artillery to give you a better will line, or possibly a janissary for a big boost in damage. You could swap the viking for BT and will the mid line, the viking won't be as big of a deal cuz they'll be dealing with the damage from mid line. This should be good until you start seeing spartans, at which point you might need to switch.

01-19-2009   #6 (permalink)
Bob
I am Bob.
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineLa TalePerfect WorldRunescape
Awards Retired Division Head

Bob is a splendid one to beholdBob is a splendid one to beholdBob is a splendid one to beholdBob is a splendid one to beholdBob is a splendid one to beholdBob is a splendid one to beholdBob is a splendid one to beholdBob is a splendid one to behold

Great guide you have there .