ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > Archive Material (Read Only) > Retired Forums > Retired Guilds > Astro Blitz Guild

Elsword
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Elsword

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
01-03-2013   #761 (permalink)
Just some random hobo
Games
Trickster Online

ShinMegami is a jewel in the roughShinMegami is a jewel in the roughShinMegami is a jewel in the roughShinMegami is a jewel in the rough
IGN: Vistrado
Class: fire/elec/dark wiz to_wizard
Level: 261
Guild: Astro Blitz

not entirely sure then, could always ask over in the computer & technology forum. Only other laptop I've had was an old toshiba which was alright.

Desktop is a dell, but then it's a desktop rather than a laptop.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
01-03-2013   #762 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict
Games
Trickster OnlineDragon NestTera Online

Hyale is a splendid one to beholdHyale is a splendid one to beholdHyale is a splendid one to beholdHyale is a splendid one to beholdHyale is a splendid one to beholdHyale is a splendid one to beholdHyale is a splendid one to behold
IGN: I have altitis.
Class: |( ◡)|/ \(❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
Guild: Astro Blitz/Distinguished

My brother's owned a few HP laptops and they've all died after around 1-2 years. I'm no expert on laptops but I'm pretty sure they're not built to last at all. Does it have to be a laptop? If so, I guess it depends on your requirements and budget. I suggest doing some research and reading a lot of reviews before deciding on one. Or just keep an eye out for deals and then read reviews (lol). Slickdeals.net is your friend!

01-03-2013   #763 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Trickster OnlineContinent of the Ninth
Awards Facebook Fan

kuryuki is a jewel in the roughkuryuki is a jewel in the roughkuryuki is a jewel in the roughkuryuki is a jewel in the rough
IGN: Check siggie?
Class: delicious sheep buns. to_champion
Guild: Requisition/Astro Blitz

O: *only goes around this section of forums so totally unaware of the other parts ahaha*

@Hyale: yup lappy u_u since my laptop right now's reconfigured from 11" netbook and I seriously can't do much cept use microsoft word and simple web browsing without it crashing now ;A; I'll need something portable for my internet/study needs to carry around but strong enough for gaming+cg-ing since it's too much trouble switching between lappy and desktop with all the files and what not xD
[ GMT: -7:00 ]...[ Server: Fantasia ]
IGN: FishSauce | Hybari | Effervescent | Kishiou
[ AniPAN | DeviantArt | Pixiv | Tumblr | YouTube]

01-03-2013   #764 (permalink)
Just some random hobo
Games
Trickster Online

ShinMegami is a jewel in the roughShinMegami is a jewel in the roughShinMegami is a jewel in the roughShinMegami is a jewel in the rough

if you need the link, here's the computer and tech forum: Computers & Technology - ggFTW. People there might be able to help more based on what you're looking for game wise and budget wise.

Here's also some recommended gaming laptops and what to look for in one: Gaming Laptops 2012 | Best Gaming Laptops | Gamer Laptops - TopTenREVIEWS

Heard alienwares are good gaming computers, though that may be overkill depending on the type of games you play and how picky you are about graphics settings since they seem pricey. A quick google search brought up a few in the 1200 to 2400 range for instance.

Last edited by ShinMegami; 01-03-2013 at 07:16 PM.

01-03-2013   #765 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Games
Trickster Online
Awards Facebook Fan

Inspiration will become famous soon enough
IGN: Inspiration
Class: Master Procrastinator to_champion

/Commence block of texty-ness!

Well, soon 3 weeks of basically overloading on electronics will be over and it'll be time for the new semester to begin. Relatively glad of last semester's average (A+s all around) and hoping to keep it up/push it higher in the new year (although there will be seven courses instead of six so...we'll see). STILL need to decide what to do in September, argh, so many different programs to choose from.

A belated happy holidays/winter season to all, hope everyone's doing well. Miss you guys, haven't been able to log in due to update errors for...guestimating at least a month? Still following updates and maints though, so *hoping* it gets fixed.

Looking for a computer security replacement now. Thinking about going for Malwarebytes ($25) or Bitdefender (forgot how much it is and can't find the advertised $80 for 5 years deal anywhere on their website). Well, we'll see.

Yuki: Yay for getting better. As for laptops, Idk but I've been using a Sony Vaio NW series for the past...three+ years, no problem (although according to Sony's website, it's no longer available, not sure what they have out now/price point). Before that, I had an Acer for a few years and it worked pretty well (at least until multiple consecutive blue screens of death killed it during my previous heavy Trickster-ing days :<). Hope you find something that fits your needs though!

Kani: Yay, welcome back GnB! Time to continue the cornering of the market on ores and refining ^^

Vis: Eep, another wisdom tooth removal? Have a speedy recovery

Been mainly playing Ayakashi: Ghost Guild (nickname Iffi), Dragon Up (the joy of vomiting dragons), and Stardom (all apps in the app store). Thinking about joining Twitter and now this post has started to turn into random rambling so...

/End post

"The sad part about a good series ending is feeling like there is so much more that could be written."-K.M.

01-03-2013   #766 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

kuryuki is a jewel in the roughkuryuki is a jewel in the roughkuryuki is a jewel in the roughkuryuki is a jewel in the rough

@Fluffy: wbwb~~~~ ;A; yay glad to hear that about the vaio u_u since my parents having been telling me about vaio problems non stop >: as for acer I think our old one had the same problem xD

@Vis: thanks for the links xDD though as for gaming I only need it so that I can play smoothly, if I get a pro gaming laptop I can just say good bye to my grades xD the most important things to me is probably: 1. speedy lappy 2. good graphics cuz I need to draw on it xD
budget wise..well I'm gonna say as long as it's under 1.5k since of everything I've seen and liked none of them seem to want to get under 1k

01-03-2013   #767 (permalink)
Just some random hobo
Games
Trickster Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspiration
Looking for a computer security replacement now. Thinking about going for Malwarebytes ($25) or Bitdefender (forgot how much it is and can't find the advertised $80 for 5 years deal anywhere on their website). Well, we'll see.

Vis: Eep, another wisdom tooth removal? Have a speedy recovery
I'd highly suggest malware bytes, using the free version here and it's great so could see the full thing being even better. Have ccleaner alongside it for disk and registry cleaning and use auslogics for disk defragging (primarily because vista's defrag is terrible.)

As far as the wisdom tooth goes, I'll most likely be fine since it's a pretty minor thing. Thanks though and good luck with your upcoming courses. ^^

01-03-2013   #768 (permalink)
♚ Fairytale Princess
Games
Trickster OnlinePangyaRusty Hearts

Sakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Kanani
Class: Wi/Wa Soul Master to_soulmaster

If you want one for art, Macs are usually the better (this is from what I've heard tho).

If you wanna do art and gaming, then you'd probably either want a high-end laptop or a decent desktop. :'D Something with a bunch of RAM, I think? I don't know about brands tho, I never had trouble with HP. Stay away from the cheapos, such as Emachines. :X

01-03-2013   #769 (permalink)
Games
Trickster OnlineHello Kitty OnlineMabinogi

Nikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond reputeNikeos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspiration
There's no reason to pay for antivirus programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuryuki
I kind of have a negative view of hps due to well..my dad used 2 hp laptops and the first one died out pretty quickly while the second one has got to be the slowest thing ever u_u

Ideally I'd like to keep whatever I get for 3 years at least hopefully..xD and ya it'd probably on and used for most of the time.
http://www.newegg.com/Laptops-Notebo...Category/ID-32

Use the nifty sliders for the specs you want and if you don't know what any of these mean, I suggest you do research before thinking about purchasing a new computer. Don't just buy a new laptop because of a brand name; that's ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurah
If you want one for art, Macs are usually the better (this is from what I've heard tho).
Also, people who say this are dumb.

Last edited by Nikeos; 01-03-2013 at 10:37 PM.

01-03-2013   #770 (permalink)
♚ Fairytale Princess
Games

Sakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond reputeSakurah has a reputation beyond repute

Based off the grapevine. ;o I've never owned a Mac before, so I wouldn't know by personal experience. I know if I had all the money in the world, I'd pay for a big game rig that works and can do all the stuff and not necessarily have bells and whistles.

Also, Fluffy, most premium antivirus programs just have bells and whistles, but can basically do the same basic thing for free. I do recommend Malwarebytes, but don't buy the premium. It can do just it's job well free-wise.

01-03-2013   #771 (permalink)
Just some random hobo
Games
Trickster Online

have to agree on the antivirus thing, three programs that I listed to help with upkeep are entirely free and work very well and a quick google search will let you find them pretty fast.

01-03-2013   #772 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

@Kani: macs are out of the question due to all the programs I download and don't buy o3o and it's way out of budget xD not to mention I ..seriously can't get used to the interface..I like my desktop cluttered.

@Vare:thanks for the link and ah I don't really care much for the brand names but I'm a sucker for looks ;w; as bad as that sounds u_u

@Fluffy: as for antivirus I use this chinese one called 360 something but there's definitely no need to pay for an antivirus program

01-04-2013   #773 (permalink)
♚ Fairytale Princess
Games

Haha, no worries. 8D My laptop desktop is semi-cluttered and I am very use to the Windows interfaces so it's all good~

HALPHALP why is it that I listen to some pop song that implies sexiness I think of the more formally 'innocent' character of mine. :'D Well, her innocence got thrown out the window when she got brainwashed some odd years ago in a RP... hurhur. Don't mess with her boyfriend. D:

01-04-2013   #774 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Games
Trickster Online
Awards Facebook Fan

Thanks for the feedback guys! Yep, I got Malwarebytes (the free version) last night and am currently running it on fullscan to look for stuff. I've also had avast! for a few years so I loaded that up again, I'll probably poke around malwarebytes for some more free stuff later.

2 more days until it's time for the new semester, *should* get back to a better sleeping schedule. Looks like most of my classes will start at 9 am though, so that's a bonus compared to mostly 8 am starts last semester.

Time for lunch, later ^^

"The sad part about a good series ending is feeling like there is so much more that could be written."-K.M.

01-04-2013   #775 (permalink)
Just some random hobo
Games
Trickster Online

can relate to that, a little time off tends to leave my sleeping schedule in ruins XD

for free disk cleaning/registry fixing, ccleaner is great, it also has the option to create restore points built in: CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

as for disk defragmenting, I use auslogics disk defrag. Pretty detailed defragmenting tool that has a key to show what the colored squares are and gives detailed info on defragmenting progress.

While it also picks up registry errors, it directs you to download their internet speed boosting tool which costs money in order to fix those. You don't need that since ccleaner does that. Disk Defrag - Best Free Defrag Software For Your Hard Drive

Last edited by ShinMegami; 01-04-2013 at 10:42 AM.

01-04-2013   #776 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

Q-Q i should be working on homework...but suddenly everything's so interesting...I've been repetitively refreshing fb, twitter, tumblr and deviantart even though I know there's no updates....
U-U I procrastinate..but this has been the worst yet D:

01-04-2013   #777 (permalink)
Just some random hobo
Games
Trickster Online

happens to me sometimes as well, I'll do stuff like check on a webcomic that probably hasn't been updated or regularly visit youtube even when I know my subscriptions probably haven't uploaded much. XD

01-04-2013   #778 (permalink)
ggFTW Regular
Games
Trickster Online
Awards Facebook Fan

Eep, just checked the class schedule again for the new semester and another course has migrated to an 8 am start time :x Now the start times look like 10, 8, 11, 10 and 8 (am). End times are 4, 4, 5, 1, and 4 (pm) but hoping that they move to be a bit earlier (since the schedule can change up until Monday I think).

Aye aye, will get ccleaner and look at auslogics. Not sure if I need the second but organizing everything sounds nice.

Procrastination...had a very bad habit of leaving things up until the day they were due to do them, been trying to reduce that so good luck with yours too Yuki ^^

01-04-2013   #779 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Awards Facebook Fan

;A; those 8am classes sounds quite painful, quite the long day too with end time at 4 >.> <.<

01-04-2013   #780 (permalink)
♚ Fairytale Princess
Games

I'm standing and semi-AFKing on Jackie and I'm getting pelted with Stone Soldiers. Not one person helped. Ya'll bastards. D: (The people passing by, not Astro of course. Ya'll f***ers. <333)

STILL DEALING WITH FEELS. But... I do wanna talk to him again. c:!