ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Astro Blitz Guild (http://ggftw.com/forum/astro-blitz-guild/)
-   -   About Impersonators...(06/01 Update) (http://ggftw.com/forum/astro-blitz-guild/102527-about-impersonators-06-01-update.html)

Sakurah 09-26-2011 11:06 AM

About Impersonators...(06/01 Update)

UPDATE: (06/01/12)
This is getting ridicules. I'll just post and say right now that I will never whisper ANYONE for their boss sets/money/hax equips. If one would know, I rather get the crap on my own, not sweet talk my way out of scamming someone else's hard work.

To my flattering poser who KEEPS ON INSISTING THIS (YES YOU I KNOW YOU'RE READING THIS), go get bent.

UPDATE: (05/29/12)

A jerkwad posed as me and swiped FoxyAmy's Dread set. I SWEAR TO GOD MAN. (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Here's a quick tip: if they claim to be me (or anyone else in Astro), do yourself a favor. Ask them to talk to you via their "main".

EXAMPLE: KibaYami is approached by a Revolyutsya, who claims to be Kanani. Revolyutsya wants Kiba's Tenter set. Kiba would then ask Revolyutsya to talk to her as Kanani. If Kani is offline, then Kiba would have more incentive that Revolyutsya =/= Kanani. If Kani is online, Kiba would ask Kani if she was Revolyutsya. Kani would say no, she is not. Then Kiba would have more incentive that Revolyutsya =/= Kanani.

PROTIP: Revo is indeed my character... but that Revo as described is a fake because she is missing a letter. As of now, I have my character IGNs in my signature for further validation.

SO YEAH. POSERS CAN SUCK VIS' ROMANCE NOVELS HARD.

UPDATE: (12/07/11)
So it was inevitable. A poser posed as Inspiration/Fluffy and tricked Haverstock out of his Tenter Spear.

This is why we can't have nice things.

So this is a quick rundown on how to protect yourself from malicious folks posing as guild members/leaders:

*If they whisper you and claiming to be someone, pay attention to their way of typing. If the typing is off, do not talk to them.
*If they whisper you, claimed to be someone and begging for your fuses/uniques/money...
-- If the person in question is logged on, ask them in the guild if they're the person whispering.
-- If the person in question is logged off, DO NOT go any further and DO NOT give the whisperer anything. Either wait til the real person comes back or politely decline.
*If they're being persistent, feel free to grill them. Ask about who their main is, what day their 2nd char got married, etc. If all else fails, block them from your whisper list.

Of course this won't stop them from impersonating, so here's a protip to better protect yourself:
If you really need to borrow someone's unique/money/fuses, ASK FOR THEM IN THE GUILD CHAT. More people online the better. This is so we have witnesses in case something goes wrong.

As always, remember that you OWN the item and you DON'T have to lend it to anyone. Ever.

And to any would-be posers/posers... May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your e-nether regions.

================

So we all remembered a fiasco a while back about a certain guy as 'KananiBunny' and being confronted while trying to scam one of our former members out of his Tenter set, right?

Well, Vis has told me that there was another Kanani impersonator by the name of 'KananiFox' and tried to scam him out of his Pirate set (and was reported to have failed miserably).

Soooo yeah, just a heads-up to my lovely Astronites:

IF IT HAS A NAME OF KANANISHEEP/FOX/BUNNY/YOURMOTHER/WHATEVER, THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE THAT IT ISN'T ME.

Ya'll know how I type, ya'll know how I act and ya'll know how I borrow things. I would NEVER ask someone outside of the guild chat. Ya'll also know I never give out my keys to my accounts, so if they say that my account(s) have been compromised, they be lying their asses off.

This goes for everyone else in Astro, especially our lovely staff members! If confronting an impersonator, grill them. >:B

And for reviews this is our current staff:

IGN (ggFTW name)
Overseer:
Miuanu (Swadloon)

Main Staff:

KibaYami (Layton)
Turret/Vistrado (ShinMegami)
Ulmaria (Arita)

Support/Backup/Inactive Staff:
Slyver (Emeraldfox) Inactive
SolarAngel Retired?
Kanani (Rarity) On strike/Inactive from Trickster

We want our folks to stay safe out there. :py63: And remember, as always, never give out your account info! If the asker is being suspicious and can't type/write grammar to save their life, don't lend out your stuff!

THIS IS STICKIED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

Ya'll have a nice day. ;D

MinHee 09-26-2011 11:13 AM

Wow, I can't believe people are doing that to you ;A;

I'LL PUNCH THEM IN THE FACE IF I SEE THEM

>:0

Sakurah 09-26-2011 11:17 AM

Sad part is that I thought it would stop at that bunny impersonator. Another sad part is that guy almost fell for it too, until he told us about it. It just seems like that if I log out of Kani, someone will attempt to scam.

In conclusion, some people are lame as hell. :/

MinHee 09-26-2011 11:20 AM

;A; I can't believe they are putting in so much effort to scam people and using your name? I wonder if they have a grudge against you...

BUT STILL

PUNCH THEM IN DA FACE >:0

Sakurah 09-26-2011 11:29 AM

LOL I don't know if it's more of a grudge, but more like 'leader of Astro/loudmouth/high level sheep/who knows'. The more recognizable the name, the more likely others would try to use that name to their advantage. @.@ (But if it is a grudge, then I only got one thing to say: ELL. OH. ELL.)

Will do, ma'am~ o-o b

MinHee 09-26-2011 11:32 AM

That's true, I remember there was some guy going around impersonating the leader of the...Mystics? Was it? I can't remember but something like that. Fantasia is a small enough server, popular people can be spotted asap.

Alright, Minnie has to book her behind to class now, good luck!

LifeAt12am 09-26-2011 12:48 PM

I didn't know someone like this was around scamming. Hnn... maybe I should go around walking with a boss set and trolling scammers. It's kind of tempting.

And my situation was just as bad. My scammer tried to scam me with the name Lifesprinkler2 .-. How can you scam the original Lifesprinkler? lol

Sakurah 09-27-2011 08:24 PM

LOL Lifesprinkler2?! Yeaaaaah that's convincing. lulz

Gaap 09-27-2011 08:31 PM

Wow... Imposters in Fantasia? That's full of low LUL. :V

But yea... I have an imposter before and even macroed the screenshot Jess got. :V (AKA there is a meaning behind "LadyGaap"... So if "LadyGap" comes into my face, i'll laugh! :V)

Also, you can figure out who is the imposter by the way he/she types. I do not do cHaT$pe@ck!

MidnightSnack 09-27-2011 10:05 PM

There's an AquaRegia in Jewelia. Unrelated, but it bothers me..

But yeah, what an underhanded trick! It's actually kind of ironic how none of your other usernames has anything to do with "Kanani" (I believe).

Sakurah 09-28-2011 06:36 PM

The only one that might is my Priest-to-be, Konani. But yeah, I don't have other chars that have Kanani anywhere in their IGNs.

Sakurah 12-07-2011 03:11 PM

Updated the first post. =_____= Now with more protection tips~ (Nothing for doing the dirty tho'...)

Gaap 12-07-2011 11:21 PM

You should pass this tip to every guild too, just in-case. Those are pretty good tips too, BTW.

It's pretty much common sense to go observe the type style. I have one of those too, and I find it more hilarious. (Basically I take the "Gap" joke.) No one was harmed of course!

ShinMegami 12-08-2011 10:55 AM

sucks to hear that about haver's spear. D:

and good tips, I asked in guild chat when KananiFox whispered me, but think you were in jewel at the time. One of the big things I noticed was how they typed which didn't really match the way anyone in the guild types.

Sakurah 12-08-2011 03:07 PM

Yeah, if you're a good observer, you'd know how someone types, how they talk, etc. Unless the poser took their time to analyze, then seeing how they type is the first clue. Of course, who has the time in the world to analyze on how someone types? You'd have to stalk them or something. :|

how2passtips o-o

ShinMegami 12-08-2011 05:18 PM

The person didn't impersonate you too well though, stuff like "come here mega" was a pretty huge heads up.

Not really sure how to go about passing the word, there's the scammer discussion thread for some examples of imposters, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Sakurah 12-08-2011 05:23 PM

In that case, I'll have to ask Haver about it. '-'

Mikayo 02-07-2012 01:54 AM

Is it okay if I bump this?

if not ASDFHJLJKFDSDFDHJ too late D:

...can I make a character called KananiYourMother now? xD

tacocannon 02-08-2012 06:15 PM

Thank goodness, a Steamdrill scammer doesn't exist ... because I'm too complex to mimic ;D

Sakurah 05-29-2012 04:51 PM

Updated YET AGAIN.