League of Legends
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

League of Legends

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
09-19-2008   #21 (permalink)
stole your

Haiko is a jewel in the roughHaiko is a jewel in the roughHaiko is a jewel in the roughHaiko is a jewel in the rough

Okay, thanks. :3
Lulz @ future massive spoilers

amagictrick l
l click to: my art thread

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
09-28-2008   #22 (permalink)
doki doki freestyle only
Special
Games
Sword 2MabinogiTrickster OnlineRagnarok Online
Awards Retired Division HeadEvent WinnerGrand Signature Champion AwardSotW Beginner

Ascherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ascherit
Level: weak
Guild: SOS Brigade

Haiko told me to post here. o:

these swimming gays ruined my life

09-28-2008   #23 (permalink)
stole your

Haiko is a jewel in the roughHaiko is a jewel in the roughHaiko is a jewel in the roughHaiko is a jewel in the rough

*goes add at original post* \o/
Thanks, Kai!

amagictrick l

10-23-2008   #24 (permalink)
NYO~HO HO!
Special
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineMabinogiS4 LeagueSpiral Knights
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerWandering Eye

Dani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Dani
IGN: FearmyLEGS
Class: i shoot you lt_gunslinger
Level: E

I shall maek tutorial for great justice.

Dani's Colouring Tutorial for Adobe Photoshop and SAI Easy Paint tool
Soft shading/Soft Cell shading

Note: I'm running on Photoshop CS3, some options may be different in different versions of Photoshop.

SUP GUYS, DANI HERE. I'm here to contribute something that will (hopefully) be helpful to those on MOG that like to draw, but wish to make computer cg works like a lot of people do with programs like Photoshop and such. This tutorial will try to aim towards both tablet and mouse users, since I notice a lot of tutorials seem to neglect those who use a mouse instead of a tablet. Later on, if I feel like it, I'll make a lineart tutorial for mouse users so they can make pretty lines on graphics programs even if they have a spaztic hand that doesn't give them nice, clean and fluid like strokes with the brush tools. These tutorials will mostly aim towards Photoshop and SAI easy paint tool, but you can use the techniques used here for other programs like Open Canvas and Corel.

Though I'll say this quickly before we start:

This tutorial ISN'T meant for you to follow it exactly step-by-step so your works look just like mine, it is meant as a learning tool for you to learn how some tools work and how you can manipulate them for your own unique style. Now then, let's get started now, shall we?

FIRST: Get your lineart open and ready for colouring! I'll be using a picture of Lelouch from Code Geass. Say hi to the pretty purple eyed boy... wait, he has no purple eyes. ;___;
Spoiler!

Next get your base colours in. An easy way to do this is select an area using the magic wand tool and then depending on the thickness of your lineart, expand the selected area (I usually only expand it by 1px ). DO NOT put the base colours in the same layer! Give each colour its own layer (skin, eyes, hair, ect ). To expand a selected section in SAI Easy Paint Tool go to Selection -> Expand selection by 1px. Simple. In Photoshop you go to Select -> Modify -> Expand and then type in the number of pixels you wish to expand your selection by. Make sure you go back and fill in gaps the selection tool didn't pick up.
Spoiler!

Now, we start with the shading. I'm going to start with colouring Lulu's skin. Make a layer above the skin layer and set it to Clipping Mask. To do this in SAI Simply click the box in the layer window that says Layer Clip with your new layer selected. In Photoshop, right click the new layer and select Create Clipping Mask. This ensures that colours won't go outside the non-transparent pixels on the previous layer. This saves A LOT of time and energy which is usually wasted on cleaning up excessive colour bleeding.

On your clipping mask layer, change it to a Multiply Layer. In both SAI and Photoshop, there is a dropdown box in the layer windows. By setting a layer to Multiply, it will darken colours when you paint on the shading, however it will still "inherit" the colour saturation in the previous layer if I remember correctly. Determine where your light source is and shade where the light is furthest away from your subject. Keep in mind how light and shadows appear on 3-D objects, and apply that to your picture.

For your brush in Photoshop, use a soft airbrush. If you're using a mouse, lower the brush opacity to... I'd say around 10%-20%. Paint many layers untill you get the look you like. Also experiment with gradients too.

In SAI paintool, feel free to either use the pen tool and then blur it with the blur tool, or use the airbrush, or maybe even both. The blur tool can create some very nice gradients, so try to use that to your advantage.
Spoiler!

Add more shading layers if you want. I usually use around 2-3 on most things (except eyes ).
Spoiler!

Now let's move onto lighting. Create a new layer above the base colour layer you wish to work on, and make it clipping mask. Set it to a Screen Layer or Linear Dodge/Additional Layer. In my opinion, screen layers work better with skin then linear dodge/additional layers, but you can decide how you do things for your picture. You can decide how many layers you use, but for things like a light skin tone, you prolly will only be able to use one or two layers. Keep in mind how light hits off of objects.
Spoiler!

Repeat the steps above for clothing and hair. For hair, you can do more for the lighting, and can probably use a Linear Dodge/Additional layer here.

Spoiler!

Now then, let's work on the eyes.

Create a clipping mask layer here and we're going to start with the shading first. Do what you did before with multiply layers. Keep in mind the darkest part of the eye is and always shall be the pupil. The lighting will kind of curve along the eye in a way.

Spoiler!

Now we're done! 8D

Sorry if this wasn't so very in depth/explanatory, but it isn't meant for you to follow exactly, just to learn what kind of results you can get via this one method. Build on this and create your own colouring style, you can do it~!

ggFTW RulesggFTW Eventscomedy.mp4
My fingers trace lines of azures and scarlets, following the viridian milky ways above
To the poetry of fourteen billion years of light that mellows my heart into a melody

10-23-2008   #25 (permalink)
stole your

unyuumm 8DDD Thanks Dani

/add to OP

amagictrick l

11-30-2009   #26 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Addict

ValenR will become famous soon enough

I didn't know ggftw had this kind of forum, until I browsed more recently....lol <_<
Now I'll have an easier time with these tuts

08-08-2010   #27 (permalink)
advertising space
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
MabinogiDC Universe OnlineVindictusLineage II
Awards Admin AwardStaff AwardEvent WinnerEvents RegularMoM AwardSotW SeniorHarem JuniorLucky StreakArtifact HoarderFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Harlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Harlequin Send a message via MSN to Harlequin Send a message via Skype™ to Harlequin
IGN: Cecilia Juelle
Class: Monk/Goldsmith lt_treasurehunter
Level: 50
Guild: Rapscallions
Xfire: glarbage

Thread updated, gonna try to keep it updated frequently.

08-26-2010   #28 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterLeague of Legends

nyejyh has a spectacular aura aboutnyejyh has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to nyejyh Send a message via MSN to nyejyh Send a message via Skype™ to nyejyh
IGN: nyejyh
Level: ♦
Guild: Cruentus

This is great for learning how to draw. :3

11-14-2010   #29 (permalink)
What?
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineRagnarok Online

Diva has a spectacular aura aboutDiva has a spectacular aura aboutDiva has a spectacular aura about
Class: Cat(Diva) lt_bard

So before you make a huge investment in a tablet you should know a few things about it. . .

- - - - - - -

Things a Tablet can do for you:

1. Pressure Sensing - This allows you to control how thick the line becomes by pressing harder on the tablet. [The harder you press the thicker / darker the line becomes or the softer you press the thinner / lighter the line becomes] When you have this setting on it helps you to control the thickness and the opacity of the line making it easier to draw / enhance. This is very useful for doing hair enhancements or drawing a line art.

Example;

The one on the left I used a mouse and the one on the right I used a tablet. Notice the difference? I used the exact same brush for each one.

2. Straighter Lines - Notice how jagged the lines become when you use a mouse? With a tablet they can become a lot straighter.

3. Easier to Draw - and it's easier to draw shapes and lines etc.

But remember all of these can be accomplished with a mouse; it's just harder and a bit more time consuming.

- - - - - - -

Things that should be noted:

1. It doesn't enhance the picture for you. Meaning, it won't magically make your picture better then it was before. If you suck at drawing you'll continue to suck after getting a tablet.

Example;

If you draw like the picture on the left your skills won't magically get better with a tablet (the picture on the right).
The only thing that has changed is your lines have gotten smoother.

2. People are starting to think that are things that can only be done on the tablet that you can't do with a mouse - this is so wrong! Everything, I seriously mean everything that is done with a tablet can be done with a mouse; it's as simple as that.

3. Other times people are getting this idea that only super talented people use a mouse. It's not true. People who say, "I HAS A MOUSE!!11 sO I cAníT be as GOuD as Sumz one wit a tabeels!/!1!!" are just using that as an excuse.

4. Lastly that only the best graphic designers deserve the right to buy a tablet. It may seem to you that I am condemning anyone who wants to buy a tablet. What I am trying to say with all this is that you should think twice before you spend a lot of money on one. Graphic Artists at any skill can buy a tablet. Just make sure that if you do want to buy one that doing graphics on the computer is something that you are interested in and you'll get good use our of a tablet if you buy one.

People who gets the idea that I am trying to convince people not to buy tablets. I am not. I am simply stating the truth that tablets will not ever = instant success.

Tablet Type
Quote:
There are a lot of different tablet types, Wikipedia has classed them into 6 main ones:

Passive

Most notably these are Wacom Tablets, which make use of a technology called "electromagnetic induction". The tablet generates a signal, received by the circuit on the pen, which sends a signal back to the tablet. This electromagnetic signal powers the circuit on the pen, meaning you never have to use batteries and the pen does not actually have to touch the surface to register. Wacom have a patent on this, and don't allow competitors to use this charging technique.

Active

Like Passive tablets, but the pen is self powered (has batteries usually). Not having to power the pen means that these tablets don't constantly swap between transmit and receive and in turn, they can have less jitter.

Optical
This works with a small digital camera in the pen, which pattern matches the image on the paper. This is mostly good for tracing (Things such as architectural drawings etc).

Acoustic
This one's quite interesting. It works with a small sound generator in the stylus, and the audio signal is picked up by 2 microphones near the writing surface. Apparently, some modern designs can read in 3D!

Electromagnetic
The passive system is based on this, electromagnetic tablets are simply any tablets with a grid of wires and a pen that generates the signal location to the grid.

Capacitative
uses an electrostatic signal, detecting the position of the pen while it is near the tablet or above it.

Features
Some features of tablets (mostly wacom features, sorry I don't know much about other brands).

Tilt Sensitivity

This relates to the way you hold your pen. Ever had a highlighter, and noticed your stroke is wider when you draw across the flat part than the thin part? Tilt sensitivity recognizes the way you have your pen tilted and angles your stroke accordingly.

Pressure Sensitivity
This measures how hard you press. A tablet with pressure sensitivity will draw darker when you press harder, and lighter when you press softly with your pen on your tablet.

Tool Distinction
some tablets allow you to use different pens with your tablet. For example, the Wacom Intuous has a grip pen. One end of it is used to draw, when you flip it around the tablet driver recognizes it as an eraser, and then you can put it down and pick up an airbrush pen and it will recognize that it's now a different type of pen and give you appropriate settings and controls.

Accuracy
This relates to how accurate the tablet is. If you draw a line, pick up the pen, place it back down and continue the line, the more accurate the tablet is, the less disturbance there will be when you continue the line (there may be a large space and the line may continue from not quite in the same place).

Dimensions

The size of your tablet. You have to think carefully about how big the tablet has to be, as the bigger it is, the more expensive it obviously gets. Most programs allow you to choose a window as the area the tablet covers rather than your whole screen, which will often mean that you can simply zoom in for detailed work.