Zero Online
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Zero Online

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
03-19-2009   #1 (permalink)
Puhi Puhi <3~

Maiyu has a spectacular aura aboutMaiyu has a spectacular aura aboutMaiyu has a spectacular aura about
Default Calling All Artists!!!! (particularly anime artists)

So, I've been drawing for quite a while, most of them usually just doodles and sketches.

However, in terms of drawing ability and skill, i would have to say that I am at a level of 3 on a 10 point scale basis.

The reason being is that, I only drew for enjoyment, and most were doodles.

I was never exposed to a proper drawing method, and seeing a LOT of really good artists here in the forums, i would like to ask if any one of you artists would so generously teach me proper drawing techniques?

I would very much like to learn how to draw anime in any style / or be able to use photoshop...

If we could exchange sn's or msn's, it would be really helpful...

Uhm... I guess here are some of my doodles...

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

As you can see, not that impressive...
Uhm...

Somebody please help!

Last edited by Maiyu; 06-14-2009 at 02:55 PM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
03-20-2009   #2 (permalink)
k0n
YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineGunboundAtlantica Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorEvent WinnerSotW MasterFacebook Fan

k0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to k0n
IGN: [JW]
Class: Hisui
Level: ****
Guild: YEAH

Before going straight into learning how to draw in an anime style, you have to know it's another form of drawing the human anatomy. And even so before searching for guides about those proportions that almost every drawer uses when drawing in anime (super-deformed) figures, I would suggest learning to control your hands and eyes. For this, try countour drawing.

Countour drawing is basically looking at a visible image and drawing it on paper. Your eyes must keep switching from your target to the paper while drawing. The difference between a sketch and a contour drawing is that in a contour drawing, you're trying to draw with the least amount of strokes as possible (try to draw with just one stroke if possible). The point of this is to improve both how well you can move or coordinate your hands, and arms to get the right angles and curves of an image while trying to keep it at the right proportion. You can start off with basic shapes such as simple 3-d objects like cubes, pyrimids, spheres, cones and tube. Then you can apply those images into real life objects like tables, rooms, and hand-held objects and such. Then later on, you can start copying the right shading. Then when you feel really bold and confidint, try objects with curves, patterns or objects with great detail such as cars, trees, musical instruments, and people. Don't worry about messing up on your starting countour drawings. If you keep practicing, you'll get better and you'll soon be able to control your hands and draw whatever that comes into your vision.

After you feel like you're hands starting to draw what you see with your eyes, now you want to try drawing your imagination invisions (in this case, your goal of drawing in anime form). For this, you need to understand the basic concepts of human proportions like how most human eyes are centered in the middle of a face and how most noses point out the furthest between the eyes and the chin. There's 2 ways to figure this out: 1) find out yourself by looking at other people, photos and other drawings or 2) just go read guides like this one made by another fellow member: http://www.mymmogames.net/forum/artw...ce-thread.html

For graphics work, that takes more into concepts and imagination. It's a little different from drawing which needs a bit more dexterity, but you can apply the same ideas to make your work appealing.

I wish you a good luck in getting better

Last edited by k0n; 03-20-2009 at 12:57 AM.

03-20-2009   #3 (permalink)
Awards Retired Content Staff

Mickmaster is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Mickmaster
IGN: Mickmaster / Synen
Class: GOD lt_warlord
Guild: Synergy

You can't be level 3 on a 10 scale basis. You are at least a 5, you are really good, just make those doodles into art on some big white paper. And if you want to learn photoshop, you should try a demo version of it to see if that is your style.

Mickmaster He who moves first, will Win

03-20-2009   #4 (permalink)
Puhi Puhi <3~

Maiyu has a spectacular aura aboutMaiyu has a spectacular aura aboutMaiyu has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0n
Before going straight into learning how to draw in an anime style, you have to know it's another form of drawing the human anatomy. And even so before searching for guides about those proportions that almost every drawer uses when drawing in anime (super-deformed) figures, I would suggest learning to control your hands and eyes. For this, try countour drawing.

Countour drawing is basically looking at a visible image and drawing it on paper. Your eyes must keep switching from your target to the paper while drawing. The difference between a sketch and a contour drawing is that in a contour drawing, you're trying to draw with the least amount of strokes as possible (try to draw with just one stroke if possible). The point of this is to improve both how well you can move or coordinate your hands, and arms to get the right angles and curves of an image while trying to keep it at the right proportion. You can start off with basic shapes such as simple 3-d objects like cubes, pyrimids, spheres, cones and tube. Then you can apply those images into real life objects like tables, rooms, and hand-held objects and such. Then later on, you can start copying the right shading. Then when you feel really bold and confidint, try objects with curves, patterns or objects with great detail such as cars, trees, musical instruments, and people. Don't worry about messing up on your starting countour drawings. If you keep practicing, you'll get better and you'll soon be able to control your hands and draw whatever that comes into your vision.

After you feel like you're hands starting to draw what you see with your eyes, now you want to try drawing your imagination invisions (in this case, your goal of drawing in anime form). For this, you need to understand the basic concepts of human proportions like how most human eyes are centered in the middle of a face and how most noses point out the furthest between the eyes and the chin. There's 2 ways to figure this out: 1) find out yourself by looking at other people, photos and other drawings or 2) just go read guides like this one made by another fellow member: http://www.mymmogames.net/forum/artw...ce-thread.html

For graphics work, that takes more into concepts and imagination. It's a little different from drawing which needs a bit more dexterity, but you can apply the same ideas to make your work appealing.

I wish you a good luck in getting better
Woah's O.O
DIdn't even know art had that many forms ㄷㄷㄷ;;
I'll try starting from the basics then!

Btw, what sort of objects do you recommend for countour pictures? ANd how long should each image be?
...ACtually, can i just have your msn ._.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickmaster
You can't be level 3 on a 10 scale basis. You are at least a 5, you are really good, just make those doodles into art on some big white paper. And if you want to learn photoshop, you should try a demo version of it to see if that is your style.
And thanks, but i still find a lot of faulty stuff in them...
Proportions (which i'll now work on), too many lines, etc..

And i have photoshop CS3, but i never understood how to use it...

03-20-2009   #5 (permalink)
k0n
YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Special
Games
Trickster OnlineGunboundAtlantica Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorEvent WinnerSotW MasterFacebook Fan

k0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond reputek0n has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to k0n
IGN: [JW]
Class: Hisui
Level: ****
Guild: YEAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperXMeeRee
Woah's O.O
DIdn't even know art had that many forms ㄷㄷㄷ;;
I'll try starting from the basics then!

Btw, what sort of objects do you recommend for countour pictures? ANd how long should each image be?
...ACtually, can i just have your msn ._.?
Anything simple just to improve your dexterity. Like I mentioned, try basic 3-d shapes like cubes, spheres, pyramids and such. Then try to copy real-life objects like books, CDs, tables, chairs, rooms, furniture, and other shapes like that. Then when you feel like you just want to improve how much detail or how much your hands can put into a drawing, try to contour draw a complex shape (ones with a bunch of lines, curves and patterns).

For your first contour drawing, I would suggest drawing as large as possible. This can make sure you can put as much details as you want into your drawing. This can also help you move your forearm with your hands to adjust from large and small lines/curves.

<- MSN

03-20-2009   #6 (permalink)
Puhi Puhi <3~

?

Donde the MSN?

03-21-2009   #7 (permalink)
Smexling Nublet

Shimi~Chan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Shimi~Chan

errr...... i think its just something you pick up on after awhile of practicing .__.;; so i dono if k0n is right or wrong because if u use guides there not 100% perfict on helping u on certain situations but basicaly you can learn on your own by having a source to your drawing like a pose from a picture but changing the face, body (muscle addition or slender?...) or anything like that some people use the skeleton but it dosnt always work if you dont know how to use it (like if your bad at proportioning) im not the a "good" artist so my opinion isant the best @___@
ShimiSenei Soul Master Lv 16x Water-Wind
Chimikai Lv 11x Soon to be a cute Cyber Hunter
....Stalling
Dead-
La Tale
ChimiKai Lv6x Knight

03-21-2009   #8 (permalink)
swiggity swoogity
Special
Games
Sword 2MabinogiTrickster OnlineRagnarok Online
Awards Retired Division HeadEvent WinnerGrand Signature Champion AwardSotW Beginner

Ascherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ascherit
Level: weak
Guild: SOS Brigade

TL;DR

Someone posted this site a few threads ago, and it really helped me.

Read it over and it'll probably help you, too.

03-21-2009   #9 (permalink)
Puhi Puhi <3~

omg'ish.

...That dude is like... pro...

That guide is far too advanced for me...

03-22-2009   #10 (permalink)
swiggity swoogity
Special
Games
Awards Retired Division HeadEvent WinnerGrand Signature Champion AwardSotW Beginner

Ascherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond repute

It's not that advanced if you actually take some time to read it. It explains the basic concepts of human anatomy very well, and in doing so it lays out the foundation for drawing in other styles, like anthro/anime/etc.

03-23-2009   #11 (permalink)
Madoka★Magica
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Lucent HeartAi Sp@ceEden EternalDivina Online
Awards Retired Division HeadEvent WinnerFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Kotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: PSO2: Shizuru
Class: Techer | Force | Bouncer | Fighter 75 lu_eir

Scatter, I think it's better you make your own thread rather than "hijacking" someone else's, :x

06-14-2009   #12 (permalink)
Puhi Puhi <3~

So, I took closer looks at those human anatomy stuff....

and i'm also enrolled in Honors Physiology, so it might have helped but...

here are more sketches...

(oh, sorry for late bump)

It's just a hand, and a cup... shading practice.

IT was drawn during church also... taking notes and doodling >.>;
Spoiler!

The Heart!!!
I'm too lazy to finish it...
So I'll just post it as is.
Spoiler!

...I still wanna draw anime though...

06-14-2009   #13 (permalink)
Red
Manual Breathing
Games
Battlefield HeroesCombat ArmsConquer OnlineCross Fire
Awards Retired Forum Operations StaffEvent WinnerSotW BeginnerFacebook FanTwitter Fan

Red has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond reputeRed has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Sircuit
Class: WH
Level: 117
Guild: ggFTW

Wow I respect you for taking all the effort to improve. The hand and the heart turned out really nicely Mai! Good job~

06-14-2009   #14 (permalink)
Puhi Puhi <3~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
Wow I respect you for taking all the effort to improve. The hand and the heart turned out really nicely Mai! Good job~
Ahh, thank you very much!!!

Your words really motivate me to draw even more >o<!!! AND you're a mod!

06-15-2009   #15 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Moogler

CrimsonCeres will become famous soon enoughCrimsonCeres will become famous soon enough
IGN: ChocoPuddi
Class: Dagger TH baby! lt_treasurehunter
Level: 80...still xD
Guild: Kimochi

Wow, loving the hand and the cup. It's ok, I can't draw anime either. :x
Nice shading! I should try smudging sometimes.

06-15-2009   #16 (permalink)
~~OBEY OBEY OBEY~~

Belphybear is a jewel in the roughBelphybear is a jewel in the roughBelphybear is a jewel in the roughBelphybear is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Belphybear
IGN: Will Smith
Class: Will Smith
Guild: Will Smith

For manga/anime styled drawing I suggest finding artists you like and copy elements of their styles.
For me right now, I'm trying to improve myself by taking elements for this person: http://keich.com/blog/lost/category/Gallery

And like what everyone says: practise, practise, practise!

Last edited by Belphybear; 06-15-2009 at 07:36 PM.

06-15-2009   #17 (permalink)
Scythe <3
Games
ElswordGrand Chase

Shoo is a name known to allShoo is a name known to allShoo is a name known to allShoo is a name known to allShoo is a name known to allShoo is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Shoo Send a message via MSN to Shoo
IGN: Shoo
Class: Everyone :O
Level: Aiming for 60+ ea
Guild: ggFTW

You're probably gonna hate me for this, but i have to be totally blunt. The cup was done very well, and i give you props for that. The hand on the other hand needs a little bit of improvement. When shading human skin, you can't use your pencil if you haven't had enough practice, it is far too rough. I suggest you invest in a pack of stubs (basically pencils made of paper used for shading). I don't know if stub is the correct term, but that is what my art teacher called them. Stubs are fairly difficult for beginners as well, so if you think that it still looks the same after using a stub then get a piece of paper and wrap it around your finger. That makes it more personal, instead of using an extension of your hands. I myself am still in the stub stage, and I don't consider myself that adept at drawing. You should be able to handle the stub with no problem.

Another thing is that i suggest you practice the hand's basic proportions more. It is, IMO, the hardest part to draw on the human body. It took me a year of practice before i started comfortably drawing it. I'm gonna re-suggest contour drawing here. It is a really good technique for learning. I also suggest that you thoroughly practice the whole human body, because humans naturally know the proportions. Some sort of mechanism in our mind tells us when something is off, so if it is off by just a little bit it'll look really bad. I don't know how to explain it in greater detail, but my art teacher said something about the human proportions being personal, therefore easier to spot mistakes in.

None of this is anything personal, it's just critique.

06-15-2009   #18 (permalink)
Puhi Puhi <3~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dib
You're probably gonna hate me for this, but i have to be totally blunt. The cup was done very well, and i give you props for that. The hand on the other hand needs a little bit of improvement. When shading human skin, you can't use your pencil if you haven't had enough practice, it is far too rough. I suggest you invest in a pack of stubs (basically pencils made of paper used for shading). I don't know if stub is the correct term, but that is what my art teacher called them. Stubs are fairly difficult for beginners as well, so if you think that it still looks the same after using a stub then get a piece of paper and wrap it around your finger. That makes it more personal, instead of using an extension of your hands. I myself am still in the stub stage, and I don't consider myself that adept at drawing. You should be able to handle the stub with no problem.

Another thing is that i suggest you practice the hand's basic proportions more. It is, IMO, the hardest part to draw on the human body. It took me a year of practice before i started comfortably drawing it. I'm gonna re-suggest contour drawing here. It is a really good technique for learning. I also suggest that you thoroughly practice the whole human body, because humans naturally know the proportions. Some sort of mechanism in our mind tells us when something is off, so if it is off by just a little bit it'll look really bad. I don't know how to explain it in greater detail, but my art teacher said something about the human proportions being personal, therefore easier to spot mistakes in.

None of this is anything personal, it's just critique.
Right, i'll try to work on the human anatomy more...

...but i really want to draw anime...

I mean, i know knowledge of the human body is required, but it's not so much in depth for anime, is it..?

06-15-2009   #19 (permalink)
swiggity swoogity
Special
Games

If you REALLY want to draw 'anime', then I suggest you look up tutorials for the basics. Some really good ones are on DA -- just type 'how to draw anime' and you'll find something helpful.

Although I really recommend practicing on human anatomy more, whether its a simple stick figure or a detailed sketch of a model. Having a rough sketch of the human anatomy helps when planning an actual anime drawing. And besides, any good anime tutorial will tell you to learn about human anatomy/proportions before attempting to draw anime.

Because really, anime is just a distorted style of drawing the human figure.

Last edited by Ascherit; 06-15-2009 at 10:14 PM.

06-15-2009   #20 (permalink)
Puhi Puhi <3~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senpai
If you REALLY want to draw 'anime', then I suggest you look up tutorials for the basics. Some really good ones are on DA -- just type 'how to draw anime' and you'll find something helpful.

Although I really recommend practicing on human anatomy more, whether its a simple stick figure or a detailed sketch of a model. Having a rough sketch of the human anatomy helps when planning an actual anime drawing.

Because really, anime is just a distorted style of drawing the human figure.
Oooh, it's senpai!
I really like your drawings!
I've seen through your DA profile, and you've improved SOOOOOOOO much...

I want to see similiar improvements on my drawings as well! And maybe start drawing in photoshop... but i need to work on my animes on paper before moving to computer...

ANd bleh... I hate drawing realistic human anatomy figures to tell you the truth...

It never turns out right...

Thanks to CherryPanda for an AWESOME sig!