ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Artwork / Graphic Designs (http://ggftw.com/forum/artwork-graphic-designs/)
-   -   Signature of the Week #130 (http://ggftw.com/forum/artwork-graphic-designs/118385-signature-week-130-a.html)

Harlequin 10-30-2012 08:02 AM

Signature of the Week #130

http://asset.100.ggftw.net/gallery/i...2/1_SotW_B.png
Welcome to our 130th Signature of the Week Event!

Event Description
You have approximately 5 days to create a signature related to the specified theme (below).
It must follow the rules and guidelines as shown below, but how you interpret the theme to create your entry is entirely up to you!

Signature of the Week Rules and Guidelines
  • Signatures must not exceed the dimension set by the ggFTW Rules.
    Quote:

Signatures. Signatures are limited by the forum software to 200 pixels in height. Please do not use signatures that attempt to stretch the boards horizontally or bypass the vertical height restriction. Signature images must not exceed 250 KB in size.
  • Signatures must not contain inappropriate content, including vulgar, offensive words and material.
  • No signature is to have your username on it.
  • Entries must remain anonymous until the polls have closed.
  • Failure to follow the guidelines will result in the entry's disqualification.

This week's signature theme:
Freestyle

Deadline and Prizes
Signatures are due on Friday, November 9, 2012 at 11:59 PM PST.

First time winners will receive our SoTW Award Icon.
http://asset.101.ggftw.net/recogniti...winnericon.png
Reoccurring winners will receive ggFTW Premium for 7 days.
For more information, please visit custom postbit!
All winners will also receive a feature in the Signature of the Week Winners/Discussion Thread!

Harlequin 11-03-2012 10:00 PM

Due to lack of participation, I'm going to extend the deadline. It's now Friday, November 9, 2012 at 11:59 PM PST.

moffit 11-04-2012 12:08 AM

/gives people the shakedown for the goods

;o;

Kudaranai 11-05-2012 12:14 AM

Weird, usually people are so into freestyle week.

Harlequin 11-05-2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kudaranai (Post 1781452)
Weird, usually people are so into freestyle week.

Yeah, it came as a surprise to me. We normally get at least 5 entries on freestyle week ;;

Almora 11-05-2012 12:57 AM

I totally forgot since I was occupied with tests this week ;o;

And same. Freestyle is the one where we can deviate as much as we want since there are no theme restrictions.

---

I don't know what we can do to get more people to participate, since not everyone has access to photoshop t-t. Haven't tried GIMP to see how it fares though, I heard it's free.

Nebula 11-05-2012 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almora (Post 1781459)
I totally forgot since I was occupied with tests this week ;o;

And same. Freestyle is the one where we can deviate as much as we want since there are no theme restrictions.

---

I don't know what we can do to get more people to participate, since not everyone has access to photoshop t-t. Haven't tried GIMP to see how it fares though, I heard it's free.

Gimp is alright... I did last week's #1 in gimp. The text tool is gimp is inferior to what photoshop can produce and from what I can tell, customising brushes and fills is not possible.
However it has pressure sensitivity and a transparency lock function. Also the outline tootls are nice.

However the shortcuts are different to photoshop. I keep pressing ctrl d and opening a duplicate copy of my current canvas.

One thing I love is gimp is its gradient tool. I can make spirals with it :)

Almora 11-05-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cepheid (Post 1781473)
Gimp is alright... I did last week's #1 in gimp. The text tool is gimp is inferior to what photoshop can produce and from what I can tell, customising brushes and fills is not possible.
However it has pressure sensitivity and a transparency lock function. Also the outline tootls are nice.

However the shortcuts are different to photoshop. I keep pressing ctrl d and opening a duplicate copy of my current canvas.

One thing I love is gimp is its gradient tool. I can make spirals with it :)

Heh, that's nice. Aw, the brushes are (one of)my everything(s) in Photoshop, I can't live without that option ;o;

Haha and yeah, I kinda knew it was your style ;p Once people have settled in their comfort zone(or still discovering), artists tend to leave a trail of their style in their works. But of course, even more talented artists have a very broad range of skills they excel in, hardly leaving a trace in one specific area.

:py53:

Nebula 11-05-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almora (Post 1781538)
Heh, that's nice. Aw, the brushes are (one of)my everything(s) in Photoshop, I can't live without that option ;o;

Haha and yeah, I kinda knew it was your style ;p Once people have settled in their comfort zone(or still discovering), artists tend to leave a trail of their style in their works. But of course, even more talented artists have a very broad range of skills they excel in, hardly leaving a trace in one specific area.

:py53:

I should reinstall photoshop. One other difference it photoshop can handle giant canvases much better which is useful for making flyers. Taking 10 mins to type 20 words.. That is frustrating.
That was my second attempt at a signature. In that regard I have plenty of experimentation to do. It is scary that you could tell. I guessed the freefalling one as yours however I thought your one last week was someone else's.

And do you draw, well outside the "lecture notes" that you may make.

Almora 11-05-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cepheid (Post 1781551)
I should reinstall photoshop. One other difference it photoshop can handle giant canvases much better which is useful for making flyers. Taking 10 mins to type 20 words.. That is frustrating.
That was my second attempt at a signature. In that regard I have plenty of experimentation to do. It is scary that you could tell. I guessed the freefalling one as yours however I thought your one last week was someone else's.

And do you draw, well outside the "lecture notes" that you may make.

Hehe, it's a skill you'll develop once you've seen one or two pieces of people's art. I'm not sure if anyone else can do it, since it's something not talked about. I'm sure Shanni can do it, based on what she told me the first time I won ;o;

Haha same for me too, I still have a long ways to go. I'm just an amateur, but I'm doing pretty well since I'm self taught. There's countless things to do in Photoshop, so I'm always learning new things.

I haven't posted any type of the graphics I have done in the past(all lost in a photobucket account), but one of my styles are light + airy drop shadow white texts :P Yeah lol, that free falling is mines, although I'm not too fond of it ._.

I haven't found my style yet, though I'm getting close to it. I admit I lack focus and cohesiveness for signatures, sometimes my works are all over the place and don't blend well(to me that's how it seems). So for now, I'm always just borrowing styles that peak my interest from one artist bit by bit for my work. I'm really into patterns, so I guess I'll deviate and branch off into my own direction. I don't know why, but I cannot for the life of me, do graphic styles like these:
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/6729/enjoy2.png
http://i31.tinypic.com/2pyx01z.jpg
etc.etc. Oh well, good practice is good practice z-z.

---

I think it's due to the fact that I started and come from layout/webpage designing. That's really how I originally began with graphics. I make layouts and everything about layouts is sooo different from signature rendering etc. You actually have to keep things simple, neat and in separate areas, so things don't look unprofessional and suffocating.

That's just a little background info of what I'm into lol. Sorry for the long texts *_*

Edit: I missed the last line LOL. No, unfortunately I don't draw T____T. I CAN DRAW MAPS REALLY WELL THOUGH IF THAT COUNTS rofl. Sorry, I didn't the second part about lecture notes :<

Nebula 11-05-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almora (Post 1781563)
Hehe, it's a skill you'll develop once you've seen one or two pieces of people's art. I'm not sure if anyone else can do it, since it's something not talked about. I'm sure Shanni can do it, based on what she told me the first time I won ;o;

Haha same for me too, I still have a long ways to go. I'm just an amateur, but I'm doing pretty well since I'm self taught. There's countless things to do in Photoshop, so I'm always learning new things.

I haven't posted any type of the graphics I have done in the past(all lost in a photobucket account), but one of my styles are light + airy drop shadow white texts :P Yeah lol, that free falling is mines, although I'm not too fond of it ._.

I haven't found my style yet, though I'm getting close to it. I admit I lack focus and cohesiveness for signatures, sometimes my works are all over the place and don't blend well(to me that's how it seems). So for now, I'm always just borrowing styles that peak my interest from one artist bit by bit for my work. I'm really into patterns, so I guess I'll deviate and branch off into my own direction. I don't know why, but I cannot for the life of me, do graphic styles like these:
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/6729/enjoy2.png
http://i31.tinypic.com/2pyx01z.jpg
etc.etc. Oh well, good practice is good practice z-z.

---

I think it's due to the fact that I started and come from layout/webpage designing. That's really how I originally began with graphics. I make layouts and everything about layouts is sooo different from signature rendering etc. You actually have to keep things simple, neat and in separate areas, so things don't look unprofessional and suffocating.

That's just a little background info of what I'm into lol. Sorry for the long texts *_*

Edit: I missed the last line LOL. No, unfortunately I don't draw T____T. I CAN DRAW MAPS REALLY WELL THOUGH IF THAT COUNTS rofl. Sorry, I didn't the second part about lecture notes :<

Everyone develops their own unique style. I guess you are good at spotting various elements of them. I wonder how you would go if the artist were to change mediums. However you do present a challenge. "Enter a signature that looks different enough such that Almora cannot tell that it is mine."

What I know in photoshop is from learning to draw neopets some many years ago. I have since then switched to mainly using either my coloured pencils, a type of watercolor like paints and paintool sai. However in the past few years I have not improved very much in terms of art. As for graphics I never really git into them properly hence I end up with very plain stuff.

I honestly like that style, I prefer graphics that are clean and no too full of shiny textures. However no so plain that they lack any depth.

Maps are important. And by lecture notes I mean doodling whilst a lecturer is talking. It is a bad habit of mine; however it is a great indication of how boring a lecture is.

Almora 11-05-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cepheid (Post 1781663)
Everyone develops their own unique style. I guess you are good at spotting various elements of them. I wonder how you would go if the artist were to change mediums. However you do present a challenge. "Enter a signature that looks different enough such that Almora cannot tell that it is mine."

What I know in photoshop is from learning to draw neopets some many years ago. I have since then switched to mainly using either my coloured pencils, a type of watercolor like paints and paintool sai. However in the past few years I have not improved very much in terms of art. As for graphics I never really git into them properly hence I end up with very plain stuff.

I honestly like that style, I prefer graphics that are clean and no too full of shiny textures. However no so plain that they lack any depth.

Maps are important. And by lecture notes I mean doodling whilst a lecturer is talking. It is a bad habit of mine; however it is a great indication of how boring a lecture is.

Haha, challenge accepted ;)
(Moffit pulled one on me the week before q_q)

Oh that's what you meant about lecture notes! I always keep my notes neat and I have never doodled in class, that's why the question was so foreign to me lol. I can't afford to not pay attention T_T

I used to be very good at drawing when I was younger, but it seems that it has been frozen at that stage for quite a while now....LOL. I can still do stuff here and there, but it'll mostly look like the things you'd find on a love letter or scrap book-y style lol.

If you are curious, this is the extent of my skills LOL:

How embarrassing, don't laugh :py56:

moffit 11-05-2012 09:23 PM

Gehehehehe.

Nebula 11-06-2012 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almora (Post 1781682)
Haha, challenge accepted ;)
(Moffit pulled one on me the week before q_q)

Oh that's what you meant about lecture notes! I always keep my notes neat and I have never doodled in class, that's why the question was so foreign to me lol. I can't afford to not pay attention T_T

I used to be very good at drawing when I was younger, but it seems that it has been frozen at that stage for quite a while now....LOL. I can still do stuff here and there, but it'll mostly look like the things you'd find on a love letter or scrap book-y style lol.

If you are curious, this is the extent of my skills LOL:

How embarrassing, don't laugh :py56:

I do not see too many people doodling in lectures however I see lots of people who have completely tuned out. My issue is I have trouble taking notes. To put it in a pokemon frame..
Lecture slide appeared!
Student tries to copy equations on it,
Lecture changed!
Student has a half copied equation that makes no sense at all.

I love it when lecturers write on the whiteboard. They actually go at a human pace then. (except when they erase something so they do not have to write it again in the next line) Now-a-days with the internet, lecturers upload slides.

I would honestly like to see than on an umbrella. However some of those pictures are incredibly cute such as the skull and crossbones and the sun and clouds.
It kind of looks like a elf made motivational poster that you would put up on your wall to remind you of the many facets of life.

Ascherit 11-07-2012 01:09 AM

oh man freestyle

merrrr

could've entered my current sig gdit ;_;

Gaap 11-08-2012 03:16 PM

Last week I did not have the time to make my sig. But now I did it... And yea.