Try 

Elsword

Rating:  

LinkBack (3) Thread Tools Display Modes
12-14-2010   #21 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
LuniaSilkroad OnlineDynasty Warriors OnlineTales of Fantasy

Saibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of light

Gosh, sankakucomplex´s newspost is a bit exaggerating. ANN reports the matter in a more neutral way:

Quote:
The general affairs committee of the Tokyo Metropolitan Assembly has approved the government's revised bill to amend the Youth Healthy Development Ordinance on Monday afternoon. Bill 156 will then go before the full assembly for a vote on Wednesday. The current ordinance already prevents the sale and renting of "harmful publications" — materials that are "sexually stimulating, encourages cruelty, and/or may compel suicide or criminal behavior" to people under the age of 18. Bill 156 would require the industry to also regulate "manga, anime, and other images (except for real-life photography)" that "unjustifiably glorify or exaggerate" certain sexual or pseudo sexual acts. Another section of the revised bill would allow the government to directly regulate the above images if the depicted acts are also "considered to be excessively disrupting of social order" such as rape.
Source: Yomiuri Shimbun
Update: The bill has a non-binding supplemental resolution urging newly designated harmful publications to be “carefully regulated, with the work's merits based on artistic, social, educational, and satirical criticism criteria to be taken into account in the evaluation process.” The government's Tokyo Youth Healthy Development Evaluation Panel is also urged to respect “the intent of the revision and take necessary steps, such as increasing the time involved in the evaluation process.”
Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan wrote in his blog on Monday:
There is another topic I would like to talk about concerning [the strength of] the Japanese brand. Currently, there are concerns over the possibility that the Tokyo International Animation Fair could be cancelled due to controversies related to the healthy development of youth issues. Healthy development of youth is an important issue. At the same time, it is important that Japanese animation is broadcast to a global audience. I urge all parties involved to try to work toward preventing a situation where an international animation fair cannot be held within Tokyo.
Shueisha senior managing director and editor Kazuhiko Torishima said at the New Manga Creators Awards ceremony on Monday: “I want new manga authors to produce manga that would blow away [Tokyo Governor] Shintaro Ishihara.” Masahiko Ibaraki, the editor-in-chief of Shueisha's third editorial department, added to the new manga creators, "Don't let the chilling effect [of increased regulation] stop you from doing material you want to do. Jump will feature anything [we feel] that is exciting [to read].“
Thanks to Dan Kanemitsu for the translations.
Update 2: The Mobile Content Forum, an industry group that includes the social networking company DeNA and Nico Nico Douga's Dwango, announced its opposition to the bill on Monday. A group of female creators, including boys-love genre authors, also announced their opposition to the bill on Sunday.
If I understand that correctly, the goverment can regulate Anime and Manga. "Regulate" though, can mean a lot of things, like a total ban or just more censoring.
The effects I expect are like in the chart Justice posted: If the content is too explicit, it gets a 18+ rating (plus censoring?) and the publishers will probably remove a series from their program. In minor cases the series´ rating will probably unaffected but with censoring, like blank breasts instead of nipples or a "magical ray of light".

Also, when does an anime or manga fullfill the above mentioned criteria? For example, a series which came immediatelly in my mind is Kodomo no Jikan. It contains partial nudity of minors but, as a reader, I can clearly say that these scenes are not the main point of the manga but only a bonus. The removal of these scenes wouldn´t really affect the story.
Similar problem with Ore no Imouto. The main content is comedy but should it get a 18+ rating just because we saw a naked Kirino taking a bath and because she´s also a brocon? I´d say no.

But yeah, let the goverment ban and censor left and right. Maybe one day someone will realise that we actually have to educate our children :|

edit: Found this in another forum:
Quote:
BL mangaka Shouko Takaku complains that her (unidentified, but “unfortunately not small”) publisher told her to stop using school trappings in her manga:

I was bluntly told the other day “because of the Tokyo ordinance, please stop using high school students [in your manga].” Depending on the label it seems you can’t even draw school uniforms…”

[...]

Yes, I was really shocked – I was astonished and responded “Really? Really? It’s come to that now already?”

She comments that she expects the industry’s recent decline will only be accelerated by the introduction of the ban.

Another BL mangaka, Kanako Meiji, reports her publisher is considering cancelling a reprint of her works:

What’s going to happen? A new edition of one of my titles was due to be published in April, but now it’s under deliberation. It has lots of sex and minors. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s cancelled.
If this is real, I don´t know if I should laugh out loud or if I should cry over the stupidity. Even if it´s only a publisher´s wish, that means that even stuff like Death Note or Amagami SS would be in danger.

Last edited by Saibak; 12-14-2010 at 02:26 AM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
12-14-2010   #22 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Cosmic BreakFantasy Earth ZeroGunboundMapleStory

Crimsonred is a glorious beacon of lightCrimsonred is a glorious beacon of lightCrimsonred is a glorious beacon of lightCrimsonred is a glorious beacon of lightCrimsonred is a glorious beacon of light
IGN: Meltyred
Class: Wandering

Death Note in danger?
God I hope no one pulls a kira stunt just cause of this kinda stuff....
Amagami SS should not be touched at all, at least let the show end, it's almost over.
If school uniforms are a no-go that means a whole lotta anime/manga are gonna be sent to the junkheap...

12-14-2010   #23 (permalink)
Which hat should I wear?
Games
RunescapeMapleStoryPangyaTrickster Online

Vindicta™ is a splendid one to beholdVindicta™ is a splendid one to beholdVindicta™ is a splendid one to beholdVindicta™ is a splendid one to beholdVindicta™ is a splendid one to beholdVindicta™ is a splendid one to beholdVindicta™ is a splendid one to beholdVindicta™ is a splendid one to behold

Voting was in favour. Bill approved.
Quote:
The full Tokyo Metropolitan Assembly approved the government's revised bill to amend the Youth Healthy Development Ordinance on Wednesday afternoon.

The current ordinance already prevents the sale and renting of "harmful publications" — materials that are "sexually stimulating, encourages cruelty, and/or may compel suicide or criminal behavior" to people under the age of 18. Bill 156 would require the industry to also regulate "manga, anime, and other images (except for real-life photography)" that "unjustifiably glorify or exaggerate" certain sexual or pseudo sexual acts. Another section of the revised bill would allow the government to directly regulate the above images if the depicted acts are also "considered to be excessively disrupting of social order" such as rape.

The assembly also approved a non-binding supplemental resolution urging newly designated harmful publications to be carefully regulated, with the work's merits based on artistic, social, and other criteria to be taken into account in the evaluation process.

The voluntary self-regulation clauses will go into effect on April 1 of next year, and the restrictions on sales and renting will go into effect on July 1.
Full Tokyo Assembly Passes Youth Ordinance Bill - Anime News Network

End of an era.

Last edited by Vindicta™; 12-14-2010 at 10:42 PM.

12-14-2010   #24 (permalink)
doki doki freestyle only
Special
Games
Sword 2MabinogiTrickster OnlineRagnarok Online
Awards Retired Division HeadEvent WinnerGrand Signature Champion AwardSotW Beginner

Ascherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ascherit
Level: weak
Guild: SOS Brigade

NO THE BL MARKET

Spoiler!

but wait this law only affects Tokyo right?

these swimming gays ruined my life

12-14-2010   #25 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascherit
NO THE BL MARKET

Spoiler!

but wait this law only affects Tokyo right?
tokyo = capital = owns everything

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

12-14-2010   #26 (permalink)
Planeswalker
ggFTW Star
Games
ElswordDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerPervert Award

RoflKnife has disabled reputation

Well, unless GAR, FABULOUSNESS, and MECHA somehow are unhealthy for development, I'm indifferent to this.

12-14-2010   #27 (permalink)
Madoka★Magica
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Lucent HeartAi Sp@ceEden EternalDivina Online
Awards Retired Division HeadEvent WinnerFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Kotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: PSO2: Shizuru
Class: Bouncer 75 | Fighter 71 lu_eir

/looks at own age.

Welp, doesn't really care, and my stuff is already classified under R-18, so meh.

12-15-2010   #28 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict
Games
Grand ChaseGunboundLa TaleMapleStory

holhemhiem has a spectacular aura aboutholhemhiem has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to holhemhiem
IGN: Micheru, Mixhe
Class: Treasure Hunter - Dagger lt_treasurehunter
Level: 8x
Guild: MMOG

First thing that came to my mind was Yabuki Kentaro's manga and Oreimo. Such a waste

12-15-2010   #29 (permalink)
(^▽^#)ノシ
Special
Games
Alicia
Awards Retired Division HeadPervert Award

Kowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond reputeKowiz has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Kowiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoflKnife
Well, unless GAR, FABULOUSNESS, and MECHA somehow are unhealthy for development, I'm indifferent to this.
PROMOTES VIOLENCE, BAN!

12-15-2010   #30 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games

Crimsonred is a glorious beacon of lightCrimsonred is a glorious beacon of lightCrimsonred is a glorious beacon of lightCrimsonred is a glorious beacon of lightCrimsonred is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoflKnife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowiz
PROMOTES VIOLENCE, BAN!
What? nonono, Mecha teaches us the seriousness of war and the damage it causes, it's educational.

12-15-2010   #31 (permalink)
Light's Pet
A little RUSTy.
Special
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineMapleStoryLuniaDragon Nest
Awards Pervert Award

Genji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud ofGenji has much to be proud of

Welp, the ban will be signed into law in 2011.
I don't see much of a problem, considering that Tokyo is just one city in Japan.

I'm sure the lolis will be alright

12-15-2010   #32 (permalink)
Just like that!
Special
Games
Bloodline ChampionsS4 League
Awards Event WinnerSotW JuniorPervert Award

Mums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond reputeMums has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mums Send a message via Skype™ to Mums
IGN: Vik
Class: Mama to_fox
Level: ∞
Guild: Prisma

Darn it. I hope this doesn't affect the anime I like too much >:

12-15-2010   #33 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibuki
Welp, the ban will be signed into law in 2011.
I don't see much of a problem, considering that Tokyo is just one city in Japan.

I'm sure the lolis will be alright
Next thing they'll say is that loli's are acts of pedophilia and loli's will be banned.

12-16-2010   #34 (permalink)
kag
meow
Games
Asda StoryLunia
Awards MoM Award

kag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond reputekag has a reputation beyond repute
Class: Dacy lu_dacy
Guild: ForielUnion, OurStory

i think this will affect a lot especially the grey ones like wars and lolis.
i guess our main fear is censorship not the age limits, censors kills content which is really bad.

Reminds me of GANTZ which was banned from TV after a while.

Fanart Anime/Manga Tees at http://www.facebook.com/metronomist

12-19-2010   #35 (permalink)
Benevolent Misfortune
Games
Ragnarok OnlineTrickster OnlineGunboundLa Tale
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerSotW BeginnerPervert Award

Sanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud ofSanichi has much to be proud of
IGN: Sanichi
Class: Scholar
Level: 50
Guild: FrenchBread

At this point, I feel as though not much will change as I'm already 18 by then.

Japan just jabbed an organ with its economy though.

/ / / Playing: DM

12-19-2010   #36 (permalink)
Which hat should I wear?
Games
RunescapeMapleStoryPangyaTrickster Online

Vindicta™ is a splendid one to beholdVindicta™ is a splendid one to beholdVindicta™ is a splendid one to beholdVindicta™ is a splendid one to beholdVindicta™ is a splendid one to beholdVindicta™ is a splendid one to beholdVindicta™ is a splendid one to beholdVindicta™ is a splendid one to behold

Tokyo Government To Regulate “Harmful Content” In Anime, Manga And Games
Quote:
In 2009, a legislative amendment that would prohibit the depiction of any virtual youth appearing to be under the age of 18 engaging in sexual activity was proposed in Tokyo. As a result of the language used being vague and open to interpretation, the bill was pushed back for revision by the Democratic Party of Japan.

Following revision, the bill has been officially passed by the Tokyo government, hoping to prevent the sale of material containing underage sexual activity along with themes of rape and incest in Japanese media to those under the age of 18. This covers games, anime and manga.

The Tokyo government is encouraging these industries to regulate themselves, and prevent the sale of such material to minors, and this self-regulation will be mandated from April 1st, 2011.

The bill in question, Bill 156, classifies this harmful content as “Any manga, animation, or pictures (but not including real life pictures or footage) that features either sexual or pseudo-sexual acts that would be illegal in real life, or sexual or pseudo-sexual acts between close relatives whose marriage would be illegal, where such depictions and / or presentations unjustifiably glorify or exaggerate the activity.”

The bill also empowers the Tokyo government to restrict manga, anime and other media — excluding live photography, ironically — that unjustifiably glorify sexual acts. Reuters report that in the interest of free speech and expression, a work’s artistic and social merits will be taken into account during the regulation process.

So, now for the big question: How exactly will this regulation of adult material take place? That’s where things get rather dicey.

By Bill 156, if a publisher releases content that the Tokyo government deems to be harmful to minors more than 6 times within a single year, the publisher will be reported to the self-regulatory body responsible for it. If the publisher offends again within half a year, the Tokyo Governor will have a right to humiliate them publicly.

To put things into perspective, Japan already has an “adult comics” rating for manga to prevent sales of adult material to minors. All material currently labelled as being “adult only” is accommodated in a separate section of Japanese retail stores, away from the “regular” material. Bill 156 seeks to restrict such subject matter.

Retail stores found violating the bill will potentially face fines of up to 300,000 yen ($3,573) once it passes on July 1st 2011. Keep in mind, however, that this bill’s effect on publishing and distribution of “harmful” works will only be felt in the Tokyo Metropolitan area.

But what about digital content, which is quickly catching on? Bill 156 covers this, too. Mobile phones are the most widespread means of accessing digital content as well as browsing the Internet in Japan. The Tokyo government now has the authority to prevent access of certain material to mobile phone users under the age of 18, based on their registered age, through an Internet filter that is activated by default.

If the minor’s parents wish to deactivate this filter, they will be required to submit a written request to the concerned cell phone provider.

Manga publishers in Japan have voiced their intention to challenge the bill until it passes, and have already begun to demonstrate their objection. A group of ten major publishers, for instance, are refusing to participate in March 2011’s Tokyo Anime Fair in opposition of the bill.

Longtime Japanese media translator, Dan Kanemitsu’s blog has a translation of an interview with Tokyo Governor, Shintaro Ishihara, conducted by Weekly Asahi magazine, where Ishihara comments on his outlook on the bill and why it is being passed.
Tokyo Government To Regulate “Harmful Content” In Anime, Manga And Games // Siliconera

Forgot that video games were affected too.

12-19-2010   #37 (permalink)
Madoka★Magica
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Lucent HeartAi Sp@ceEden EternalDivina Online
Awards Retired Division HeadEvent WinnerFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Kotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond reputeKotarou has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: PSO2: Shizuru
Class: Bouncer 75 | Fighter 71 lu_eir

Quote:
Keep in mind, however, that this bill’s effect on publishing and distribution of “harmful” works will only be felt in the Tokyo Metropolitan area.
Time for most publishing companies to move out/reduce output in Tokyo, lol?

Oh wait. Akihabara's there. GG

12-30-2010   #38 (permalink)
ggFTW Lurker

Animah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mums
Darn it. I hope this doesn't affect the anime I like too much >:
Yeah, I hope so too

12-31-2010   #39 (permalink)
Belay that order!
Games
ElswordGrand ChaseTrickster OnlineMabinogi
Awards Event WinnerLucky StreakPervert Award

Veloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant future

If it's just rape and incest that's being banned I'm fine with it.