ggFTW

ggFTW (http://ggftw.com/forum/)
-   Anime & Cartoons (http://ggftw.com/forum/anime-cartoons/)
-   -   Hyakka Ryouran: Samurai Girls (http://ggftw.com/forum/anime-cartoons/81728-hyakka-ryouran-samurai-girls.html)

Harlequin 09-04-2010 07:01 PM

Hyakka Ryouran: Samurai Girls

Quote:

he story takes place in Japan in the early 21st century, in an alternate reality where the Tokugawa Shogunate has remained in power. In this reality, student councils are tasked with oppressing schools. Yagyuu Muneakira is a high school student who rebels against his student council with the help of girls who've had the names of famous samurai heroes passed on to them.

Wouldn't have started this thread for a while yet, but Ep 1 is already out and subbed (pre-air, became available September 4, 2010). I've watched it, and I've gotta say, this anime is REALLY GOOD, like... TOP of my list good. I can't wait for the official season of this show to start.

EDIT: PREMIERE DATE IS OCTOBER 3, 2010.

Nihil679 09-04-2010 08:05 PM

ohmygod, I think this might be top pick for Fall season. The art style is so unique, the animation is really appealing to me, and DEM CENSORS, LOL.

But yeah, loved the pre-air. Just to make it even better, the opening is by Faylan. Woo.

zgmfx19a 09-05-2010 03:50 AM

Heard it is an oppai fest, and after HotD, not sure if want.

I'll just give the pre-season episode 1 a shot.

Frosty 09-05-2010 06:45 AM

Its got nice art, I thought it was going to be bad like QB but it doesn't seem that bad.

This is like Ikkitousen x Queen's Blade in a Samurai setting.

Lets hope this have an alright story and the fan service is not overdone (like in QB s1).

Mums 09-05-2010 09:25 AM

This anime looks promising, not only for the nudity, but for the art too :jj:

I'll give it a shot.

EDIT: Is the premier really October 3rd? Cause I think I'm about to watch the first episode.

Harlequin 09-05-2010 11:22 AM

Yeah, the actual premiere is on Oct. 3, but they pre-aired ep 1. Thank goodness for teasers. :v

Mums 09-05-2010 11:41 AM

Uncensored version please >:

RoflKnife 09-05-2010 11:57 AM

iderno It's could tip either way for me. Nice art style, but the splatters can be used annoyingly when it's not needed. Censors are worse than other methods of trying to conveniently censor. Just waiting and seeing if it turns out to be a generic harem/action.

Mello 09-05-2010 10:40 PM

Hating the art style.
Looked like a cheap puppet show
but instead of puppets it was fairly drawn anime characters ;_;
/stopped watching after 3 minutes of seeing the background art

Harlequin 09-05-2010 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mello (Post 1334607)
Hating the art style.
Looked like a cheap puppet show
but instead of puppets it was fairly drawn anime characters ;_;
/stopped watching after 3 minutes of seeing the background art

I'm going to have to disagree with this. Of anything that could be disliked about this show, the art style shouldn't be it. It's original, good quality, and in my opinion doesn't leave the viewer wanting. It's got a good use of color and line, and (except for the senseless splatter effects) really doesn't do anything to bug me personally.

Mello 09-05-2010 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glarbage (Post 1334653)
I'm going to have to disagree with this. Of anything that could be disliked about this show, the art style shouldn't be it. It's original, good quality, and in my opinion doesn't leave the viewer wanting. It's got a good use of color and line, and (except for the senseless splatter effects) really doesn't do anything to bug me personally.

I was simply talking about the art style,
and it was the reason for me not continuing on watching the show
as for the show itself it's look's pretty good.
I'd be seeing more of it if the background art styles was a bit different

Harlequin 09-05-2010 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mello (Post 1334658)
I was simply talking about the art style,
and it was the reason for me not continuing on watching the show
as for the show itself it's look's pretty good.
I'd be seeing more of it if the background art styles was a bit different

There is actually a purpose behind the stylized background and animation style. It's intended to mimic ancient Japanese scrolls/prints. The reason behind this mimicry is the premise of the show, alternate-reality Japan, where the Shogunate is still in control. It's the modern era, but things are still handled in an ancient fashion.

On another note, I don't mind if you don't like the art. But you don't need to degrade it by calling it a "cheap puppet show."

Mello 09-05-2010 11:33 PM

Enduring the background display will be a pain for me but I hope it'll be worth it

zgmfx19a 09-05-2010 11:33 PM

I kind of dig the art and the effects. Gotta agree that the splatter is really irritating, but other than that, it's quite a brilliant first episode actually.

I love the ancient Japanese art style they are using. Reminds me of what Nurarihyon is doing in bits and pieces. Action scenes has creative use of brush strokes. I approve.

Oppai fest is within tolerable limits.

So yeah. It will be on my watch list next season unless the plot is screwed up.

Nihil679 09-06-2010 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glarbage (Post 1334667)
There is actually a purpose behind the stylized background and animation style. It's intended to mimic ancient Japanese scrolls/prints. The reason behind this mimicry is the premise of the show, alternate-reality Japan, where the Shogunate is still in control. It's the modern era, but things are still handled in an ancient fashion.

On another note, I don't mind if you don't like the art. But you don't need to degrade it by calling it a "cheap puppet show."

Really now? That explains the anachronism. Didn't read the plot summary. OTL

Virus 09-06-2010 01:31 AM

I'm gonna need the uncensored version. Those censors are going to anger me... :py61: It's not even convenient/clever/funny censoring, it just might as well be those thick black bars or something.

Nihil679 09-06-2010 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virus (Post 1334806)
I'm gonna need the uncensored version. Those censors are going to anger me... :py61: It's not even convenient/clever/funny censoring, it just might as well be those thick black bars or something.

how can you hate such novelty censors. Not only does it work out and look absolutely hilarious (lol, black crap on boobs), IT'S PART OF THE SHOW'S ARTWORK, LOL.

Mello 09-06-2010 12:58 PM

Mistook it for Hayate when Yugimura was screaming

J0SH2 09-06-2010 11:28 PM

lol i like it, i just hope it isnt all ecchi..
Art style is nice too

Harlequin 10-10-2010 01:47 PM

Ep 2 is out and subbed. Was pretty interesting, combat was totally pro. And apparently Hanzo has a power-level reader rofl. Master Samurai concept is pretty interesting, too.

Waiting for the Ryuumaru release of this on Wednesday, they're the only ones using the HQ raws.