ggFTW Stalker

drkmerc has a spectacular aura aboutdrkmerc has a spectacular aura about
IGN: dmodwc, drkmerc
Class: アーチャ lt_gunslinger
Level: 中尉
Guild: 破忌追撃部隊

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmfx19a
Ionno. I think they are more interested in the general "moe" stuff.

But back to LoLH, it's not like it is popular with the english community as well. Many people wouldn't even give it a try due to it's title, and typical LoLH threads basically dies out in 20 posts in /a/.
Regardless, this will probably be my favorite anime this year (no seriously). The title is a major factor though...everyone I referred this to had a "oh I'm not into silly gag anime" kind of reaction.

Last edited by drkmerc; 12-18-2010 at 08:14 PM.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
12-18-2010   #182 (permalink)
Planeswalker
ggFTW Star
Games
ElswordDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerPervert Award

RoflKnife has disabled reputation

Quote:
1. Tantei Opera Milky Holmes

2. The Tatami Galaxy

3. K-ON!!

4. Shinryaku! Ika Musume

5. Ore no Imouto

6. Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru

7. Working!

8. Angel Beats!

9. Strike Witches 2

10. Sora no Otoshimono II
If that's a general consensus list of 2chan's opinions, I cry.

If a show is good enough, it gets a huge amount of hype and crap around the interwebs, and people disregard the front cover and start watching it. Like Panty and Stocking for example. Do you remember how many people were just like "LULZ WUT?" or "KIDDY ANIME" before it aired? Then all of a sudden all these posts and stuff pop up going "PANTY AND STOCKING SO GOOD". So why the hell not to LoLH?

12-18-2010   #183 (permalink)
Retired
Special
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterTrickster OnlineLa TaleGunbound
Awards Retired Forum Moderator

zgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond reputezgmfx19a has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to zgmfx19a
IGN: Nek0 / Nek0Yasha(RIP)
Class: Zooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoflKnife
If a show is good enough, it gets a huge amount of hype and crap around the interwebs, and people disregard the front cover and start watching it. Like Panty and Stocking for example. Do you remember how many people were just like "LULZ WUT?" or "KIDDY ANIME" before it aired? Then all of a sudden all these posts and stuff pop up going "PANTY AND STOCKING SO GOOD". So why the hell not to LoLH?
The popularity of PSG only applies to the English audience though. I think most of the people would have given it a try because of the title (ironically), and the art-style being western enough (similar to PPG), and also the sheer amount of toilet and sex humor. I personally am not into it though, and I don't remember Japan being that hot about it either.

As for the "looks bad but is actually good" part for Japan and /a/, it actually is Milky Holmes. It went from a relatively quiet anime that slipped through the radar of everyone to one that has quite a cult following. I have them downloaded ready to watch after my finals as well.

The strange thing about LoLH is that while the anime is not popular, the novel sales have boosted significantly during the airing of the series, despite it being a relatively old series that ended in 2006. If I remember correctly, about 1.5 million copies of the novels were sold in the period. Which is weird for an anime series that is not that popular on TV. It also hit high reading rates on both Chinese novels sites I visited, with the bigger site having it as the 3rd to 5th highest in the monthly hit-rates for a the past few months, and the smaller site hitting the 3rd highest overall hits.

Which leads me to think that this anime had actually (and I think unintentionally) targeted audiences that actually enjoy reading, who appreciates the multiple interwoven plots LoLH has to offer. If you ask me, I'll buy the LoLH novels over the its DvDs and BDs any day, which will also explains the low sales in those areas.

However, for the generally community, I don't think fantasy adventure is much more of a genre that generates interest anymore. I don't really remember other recent titles of the same genre. Even it's rather decent cast of seiyuus that features Daisuke Ono and Jun Fukuyama didn't save it.

As for the english community, here are the few stuff I've read about it during the past few months...

"The title looks like a gag anime" - guilty as charged. It doesn't sound bad in Jap and Chinese though. But I wouldn't have watched it if not for this thread.

"I enjoyed it more when it is called Slayers"

"Ferris is an irritating *****"

"Ryner is a emo self-depreciating character"

"The anime gets boring after a few episodes"

No cute girls doing cute things is another factor? /shrugs

Last edited by zgmfx19a; 12-18-2010 at 10:04 PM.

12-18-2010   #184 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
Cosmic BreakFantasy Earth ZeroGunboundMapleStory

Crimsonred is a glorious beacon of lightCrimsonred is a glorious beacon of lightCrimsonred is a glorious beacon of lightCrimsonred is a glorious beacon of lightCrimsonred is a glorious beacon of light
IGN: Meltyred
Class: Wandering

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmfx19a
Ionno. I think they are more interested in the general "moe" stuff.

But back to LoLH, it's not like it is popular with the english community as well. Many people wouldn't even give it a try due to it's title, and typical LoLH threads basically dies out in 20 posts in /a/.
how is dragonball kai even moe...
It has the worst graphics too...
But I still like it.

12-22-2010   #185 (permalink)
a.k.a. Nyekun

Paul is just really nicePaul is just really nicePaul is just really nicePaul is just really nicePaul is just really nice

Finally watched all the episodes i left off from (14+) in one go. Really enjoyed this series, sadly, as above posts and such, S2 is not expected.

Regardless, scene with Ferris finding herself next to Ryner in bed was the best.

My Anime List / Playstation Network - Niikun