Try 

Elsword

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
08-19-2008   #1 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

HennaIkimono will become famous soon enough
Default save our anime

At San-Japan I went to this panel where they talked about "the state of the (anime) industry". The speakers there were American voice actors/actresses and while it started out as "how did you get into voice acting and whats it like", it moved to "how work is getting very scarce because the anime industry in Japan is also suffering".

site: Save Our Anime

the anime industry in Japan is suffering because less of the money being put into anime is returning to it. Before you say the American anime industry and the Japanese's industry don't affect each other, they in a sense have a symbiotic(?} (afftect each other greatly) relationship now.

the basic summery:
1. less anime DVD, merchendise, etc. sales in both countries = less money for anime industry
2. all the people who produce anime are getting paid less, which means less anime being produced.
3. less anime being produced, means less anime for American companies to licence, meaning less anime/work for American Voice Actors.

*Big cause for this is said to be fansubs and bootlegging.

Discuss
Justice, Il 60458
Flat Lick, Ky 40935
Paint Lick Ky 40461
Flower Mound, Tx 75022
Cumming, Ga 30040
King of Prussia, Ga 19406

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
08-19-2008   #2 (permalink)
~Endless Witch~

Beato will become famous soon enoughBeato will become famous soon enough
IGN: Beato
Class: Witch
Level: 40
Guild: Moogles

This feels like deja vu.

SIESTA SISTERS~

08-19-2008   #3 (permalink)
:l
Special
Awards Retired Division HeadPervert Award

SlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond repute

This topic is getting old, but whatever.

Bootlegging was recently made non-existant in the conventions I go to, where quite a bit of sales are made, but sadly it is rampant online and there is little we can do to stop it. I usually purchase the fan merchandise such as figures, wallscrolls, OSTs, pillow covers ;_;, and other craps like that but I rarely invest in the actual anime/manga unless I thoroughly enjoy it. Its just so convenient to get my fix for free that I don't even feel bad about it anymore.

08-19-2008   #4 (permalink)
Expired

Hector is on a distinguished road
IGN: No.
Class: No.
Level: No.
Guild: Debaters, [JW]

Gotta love that picture, Mongo.

08-19-2008   #5 (permalink)
늑대와 미녀
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineTrickster OnlineGrand ChaseAudition
Awards Retired Forum ManagementEvent WinnerGrand Signature Champion AwardSotW Senior

Kudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond reputeKudaranai has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Kudaranai

That's not true, we paid for our internet connection fees Q_______Q

*gets shot*

It's not just anime, it's everything. I try to buy to support the artist/makers/producers/etc when I can.

08-19-2008   #6 (permalink)
moé moé (≧△≦)木
Special
Games
Eden EternalDragon Nest

khyle has a spectacular aura aboutkhyle has a spectacular aura aboutkhyle has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to khyle Send a message via Yahoo to khyle
IGN: 『Lord Sky』
Class: ひきこもり to_sheep
Level: Lvl 4 NEET Otaku
Guild: Debaters / ıɥɔɔé unlimited

well the eroge industry was already facing this slump years ago,
due to rampant bootlegging on release dates and will be felt as long as the internet is online

havent really thought much about the impact of fansubs to animé industry
it all really comes down to piracy, and policies to curb it

Japan can isolate itself once again by cutting off internet connection, exports of merchandises to the outside world
whereby saving the animé industry for the time being D;

things I buy
  • DvDs
  • PVC figurines
  • Dakimakuras
  • écchi wrist pads (oppai mouse pads)

08-19-2008   #7 (permalink)
too much effort
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterAtlantica OnlineGlobal AgendaUrban Rivals

WhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to behold
IGN: WhatThePho
Class: Maniac
Guild: Mooglets v1.1

Name couple recent animes that can even remotely reach the fame such as GTO, Eva, and Monster had. It's the manga writers and anime directors that are downgrading the quality, so of course sales would drop with or without pirating.

Last edited by WhatThePho; 08-19-2008 at 07:00 AM.

08-19-2008   #8 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict

Soxy will become famous soon enough

Ok, i want too support the anime industry but over here in the uk everything is overpriced. For example lets take bleach, a dvd containing about 4-5 episodes costs 20 pounds which is 37.19600 U.S. dollars (lolgoogle). Now put yourself in my shoes you either fork out 37 dollars for like 5 episodes of anime. Or you go home and watch them for free on the computer. What are you gonna choose?

08-19-2008   #9 (permalink)
Special

SlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond repute

lol you didn't even mention the DVD's with like 1-2 episodes on them D:

08-19-2008   #10 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict

Soxy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBstraCt
lol you didn't even mention the DVD's with like 1-2 episodes on them D:
Lol i know what you mean the ones with 4-5 episodes are the good ones
Some movies such as the one in my sig (tekkon kinkreet <3), i would be glad to pay for (and i did) because its so epic. But stuff like naruto where they charge insane amounts of money for like 4 episodes, Naruto is not excactly the best of shows (im sure you know what i mean). So why the need to charge so much. The dvd costs what im guessing less than a dollar to make, and the packaging is very cheap too. So why so overpriced.

08-19-2008   #11 (permalink)
Ish bored D:

Tenelax is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Tenelax Send a message via Skype™ to Tenelax
IGN: Tenelax
Class: Gunslinger lt_gunslinger
Level: 105
Guild: FrenchBread

So if I understand... The more the anime is popular, the less it will make money o.o. Since if an anime get popular, the prices for DVDs, Mangas etc. will go up and people well rather having them free on their computer than buying them overpriced o.o

08-19-2008   #12 (permalink)
Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenelax
So if I understand... The more the anime is popular, the less it will make money o.o. Since if an anime get popular, the prices for DVDs, Mangas etc. will go up and people well rather having them free on their computer than buying them overpriced o.o
Usually its the other way around. MrClastro made a good point saying that the general quality of anime has declined recently, so that may be a big contributing factor to this supposed slump in the industry.

08-19-2008   #13 (permalink)
too much effort
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterAtlantica OnlineGlobal AgendaUrban Rivals

WhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to behold
IGN: WhatThePho
Class: Maniac
Guild: Mooglets v1.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenelax
It's somewhat both. These so-called "popular titles" are nothing more than fresh out of box Shounen Jump series that is going to fade out half way through its season. It's new and sensational, but in the end, it's crap.

08-19-2008   #14 (permalink)
Planeswalker
ggFTW Star
Games
ElswordDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerPervert Award

RoflKnife has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBstraCt
This topic is getting old, but whatever.

Bootlegging was recently made non-existant in the conventions I go to, where quite a bit of sales are made, but sadly it is rampant online and there is little we can do to stop it. I usually purchase the fan merchandise such as figures, wallscrolls, OSTs, pillow covers ;_;, and other craps like that but I rarely invest in the actual anime/manga unless I thoroughly enjoy it. Its just so convenient to get my fix for free that I don't even feel bad about it anymore.
That picture is epic WIN.

....What if you don't BUY DVD's and merchandise or torrent it, but you WATCH the subs online?

08-19-2008   #15 (permalink)
【Sun Knight】
Special
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineEmil Chronicle OnlineGrand ChaseRagnarok Online
Awards Event WinnerMr. ggFTWMoM AwardSotW Junior

Noperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant futureNoperative has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoflKnife
That picture is epic WIN.

....What if you don't BUY DVD's and merchandise or torrent it, but you WATCH the subs online?
Try buying the manga and watching the fansubs. Support them in the start and reap the rewards later?

08-19-2008   #16 (permalink)
Tea
31 Flavors
Special
Games
S4 LeagueWarflowEden EternalSword 2
Awards Retired Content StaffFacebook Fan

Tea is a splendid one to beholdTea is a splendid one to beholdTea is a splendid one to beholdTea is a splendid one to beholdTea is a splendid one to beholdTea is a splendid one to beholdTea is a splendid one to behold

well with voice actors its kinda struggling. Its always been that way but its been slightly better since like a decade ago in comparison. American VAs get paid more for doing American created shows than they do voicing for animes. I don't see the logic in it, but its true. Its a large ratio in money, so thats why they do other works like commercials and theater/film to make up for it. And voice actors want more for their work because yeah, its a lot of work to go through perfecting your lines and giving your voice the right way .. depending on the company you work for and the voice director you work with. (I know some sound a lil crappy *shrugs* watcha gonna do) Thats why competitions are held a lot at anime conventions because they find fresh talent that will work for the pay they want to put out. (sometimes more or less like that)

anywho, i try to support anime when i can. Its hard for a college student to go buying on every whim because you see something you really want and totally broke most of the time. I try to wait for holidays n birthdays to ask for stuff like that D:, but i've been putting it on the back burner since i need necessities more than material things atm. D:

08-19-2008   #17 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

HennaIkimono will become famous soon enough

For me, if anime DVDs were price more like a lot of American DVDs (like from $20 or less) I'd buy more domestic/legal DVDs, but in a lot of places (not counting online, I don't want to do a lot of online shopping, I usually would want the product right the second I pay for it, plus I can't really use cash online) with a lot of variety and having the anime I want in stock, the DVDs tend to cost more.
Justice, Il 60458
Flat Lick, Ky 40935
Paint Lick Ky 40461
Flower Mound, Tx 75022
Cumming, Ga 30040
King of Prussia, Ga 19406

Last edited by HennaIkimono; 08-19-2008 at 10:27 AM.

08-19-2008   #18 (permalink)
is a pretty cool guy.

Coffee is a jewel in the roughCoffee is a jewel in the roughCoffee is a jewel in the roughCoffee is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Coffee
IGN: Nashi

I find it annoying to buy DVDs all the time for anime :/. TV prz? Or I'll keep streaming/downloading vids.

08-19-2008   #19 (permalink)
Static

Cornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to allCornflake is a name known to all

I don't buy anime because I can't get it in English. If the localization teams were faster I'd assuredly pay for more movies/animes than I do now. Most of the movies I download never made it to English. I have no option but to accept the kindness of fansub groups.

08-20-2008   #20 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Lurker

ATXAlchemy is on a distinguished road

Downloading anime is not illegal.

Atleast not in Japan.

ITT: We'll find out who're the elitists.

GYAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

P.S. Save your anime? What about MY anime?