Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Grand Fantasia

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
08-02-2008   #21 (permalink)
VIP

Tamiki will become famous soon enough

We're not at the time we're North Americans will show good animes besides mainstream any time soon.

Eets good that they are actually showing anime on North America's television such as Bleach, Naruto, Death Note, Gundam. These shows are stepping stones for people to love anime, or new to the scene and want to see a broad range of animes that japan has to offer, rather than mainsteam.

I do to share my hate for some of the mainstream animes, but they arn't as the same as other people's opinions such has over hyped animes. I perfer to let myself be the judge on the animes that I want to watch and have opinions, rather hear the massive amount of hate for a particular anime because of over hyped.

I give any anime a chance to let eet show what type of anime eet ish, not throw tomatoes and "boo's" at eet before eet has a chance to get ready. >.>

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
08-02-2008   #22 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Special
Games
Grand ChaseDofusLa TaleGunbound
Awards Retired Forum Moderator

CujoEX is just really niceCujoEX is just really niceCujoEX is just really niceCujoEX is just really niceCujoEX is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to CujoEX Send a message via MSN to CujoEX Send a message via Yahoo to CujoEX Send a message via Skype™ to CujoEX
IGN: CujoEX

Any anime (excluding manga) released in the USA basic cable is considered over rated to me, especially if they aired in 4kids and Cartoon Network. I'm not a fan of most Shonen Jump either. Don't get me wrong, I didn't say they were bad. They are creative, but they're over rated.

Grand Chase - CujoEX // CujoEXE
PlayTrickster - CujoEX
LostSaga - CujoEX

08-02-2008   #23 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Regular

wickedfresh is on a distinguished road

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Gurren Lagann
Clannad

08-02-2008   #24 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

fieryshadowcard has a spectacular aura aboutfieryshadowcard has a spectacular aura about
IGN: Look behind you and ask them.

How overrated something is should depend on the hype that revolves around it versus what it has done for its cultural medium. That being said...

Naruto. Part-bandwagon, part-honest opinion. All truth.

And, to be relevant to our current decade, Lucky Star, Gurren Lagann, and Elfen Lied.

Anime like Evangelion depend on whether or not you agree with or at least accept what was trying to be said therein. At the very least, it was trying to convey something.

Anime like Bleach and Inuyasha have a strong fanbase, and, in many cases, even stronger flaws, but I can't say in all honesty that they're often paraded around as the best anime has to offer. I didn't get the impression that Death Note was overhyped. Most people stayed with it for about as long as L did, so the flaws exhibited therein were quite visible to most of those who saw it.

Overrated? Yes; in fact, a lot of anime are. But certainly not in the ballpark of the label "most."

TrueSilverFox and Mon_Ami roamed Caballa together in Trickster Online, searching its ruins of splendor.

Valeria, sworn only to her sword and herself, traverses Erinn in Mabinogi with her pet silver fox, Truesilver.

"Whoa, TrueSilverFox, girl! Anyone ever tell you you look like some sun-bronzed Greek Goddess these days?"

08-02-2008   #25 (permalink)
yup

TheCosmicLion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to TheCosmicLion Send a message via Yahoo to TheCosmicLion

Melancholy of haruhi Suzumiya (or whateverrr) i see her face everywherrr wdff

anddd can i say... Pokemon? ~_~

/hides =XXX

08-03-2008   #26 (permalink)
Certified Stalker

Ildanach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotarou
._. What's wrong with Suzumiya Haruhi? The books are so engaging you can't put them down once you start.

Though... I do agree the fanservice stuff has gone overboard.
We are talking about the anime here.

Though I agree the novel is interesting, Disappearance is still my favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedfresh
Gurren Lagann
Forget about this.

Last edited by Ildanach; 08-03-2008 at 02:27 AM.

08-06-2008   #27 (permalink)
It's always lupus
Special
Games
MapleStoryLuniaKingdom of LoathingCity of Heroes
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorMoM AwardPervert Award

Location: Narnia, and the north! Wait....is Narnia supposed to be Canada?
Mitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond reputeMitchi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mitchi Send a message via MSN to Mitchi Send a message via Yahoo to Mitchi
IGN: SakiaLumei, Arphage
Class: Aran, Blaze Wiz lt_treasurehunter
Level: 9x,3x
Guild: Cupcake

Ugh, Gundam Wing. Without a freaking doubt.

Also, I think DBZ is actually Underrated. Everyone Hates it so much and bad mouths it so much that, well, it's actually much better than most people say it is.

I still don't like it, but that's still what I think of it.

Oh and sorry Cujo, but I dissagree. There's lots of non overrated anime shown on TV int he US, but it's all on obscure timeslots on random channels, stuff like Last Exile, Gadguard, Noein and Ergo Proxy. I hear next to nothing and next to no love for those shows O-o

08-06-2008   #28 (permalink)
Rilienthal
Games
MapleStorySD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterTrickster OnlineZero Online

Strikegundam is a splendid one to beholdStrikegundam is a splendid one to beholdStrikegundam is a splendid one to beholdStrikegundam is a splendid one to beholdStrikegundam is a splendid one to beholdStrikegundam is a splendid one to beholdStrikegundam is a splendid one to beholdStrikegundam is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Strikegundam
IGN: Natsume

Pokemon is way overrated...

08-06-2008   #29 (permalink)
Breaker of Time

Bolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud ofBolter has much to be proud of

I only know of Naruto and Bleach and maybe Pokemon too.

08-06-2008   #30 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler
Games
Trickster OnlineEther Saga OdysseyLa TaleFlyFF

LUNAtik is on a distinguished road
IGN: Oyomesan
Class: Charm to_model
Level: 250
Guild: Virtue

Naruto is the only one I can think of.

08-06-2008   #31 (permalink)
SquidLuvr
Games
Habbo HotelRunescapeTrickster OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Pervert Award

MsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond reputeMsSquid has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Nondi
Class: Pusher to_sheep
Guild: Celeste

Gurren Lagann was good for a while, but then you guys just had to keep pushing it. All shounen crap (including Soul Eater), Lucky Star, Haruhi and some of the Studio Ghibli Films.

08-06-2008   #32 (permalink)
STEP
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardSotW BeginnerWandering EyeFacebook FanTwitter Fan

WhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePhuc Send a message via MSN to WhatThePhuc
IGN: Phuc Tran
Class: Visual Arts Major lt_warlord
Level: 23
Guild: University of California, San Diego

naruto, bleach, and most mainstreams

dbz is actually UNDERrated now
i don't see anyone being hyped about how great it is, that was years ago
now, there's more people saying bad stuff about it when it's actually a decent anime

08-07-2008   #33 (permalink)
ggFTW Moogler

YukitchiSan is on a distinguished road

Naruto
Bleach
Death Note
FMA
Vampire Knights
D. Gray Man..
GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka=3) the super sentai ecchi teacher XD

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail"
www.youtube.com/yukeeesan

08-08-2008   #34 (permalink)
Break it up, son.
Special
Awards MoM AwardPervert Award

Ethane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond reputeEthane has a reputation beyond repute
Class: NONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedfresh
Neon Genesis Evangelion

This

When Eva first came out, fans were pissing their britches because they thought the greatest anime ever has finally arrived. They were so ran over by the hype, that only years later after they spent thousands of dollars on the LDs, DVDs, hundreds of soundtrack re-releases, and countless hours online debating the merit of the show that they finally realised that it's a huge pile of dog turds.

Seriously, Gainax knows how to start a series off with a serious bang but to this day they still havn't figured out how to end one. At least the majority of fans have wised up and didn't get too wrapped up in excitement when GL started.

08-08-2008   #35 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Moogler

Feeline will become famous soon enoughFeeline will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Feeline
IGN: .
Class: Human
Level: .
Guild: .

All of them, save Powerpuff Girls Z.

There is no 1v1 in team.

08-08-2008   #36 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

fieryshadowcard has a spectacular aura aboutfieryshadowcard has a spectacular aura about
IGN: Look behind you and ask them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePhuc
naruto, bleach, and most mainstreams

dbz is actually UNDERrated now
i don't see anyone being hyped about how great it is, that was years ago
now, there's more people saying bad stuff about it when it's actually a decent anime
Because the power of the bandwagon is strong. It's the same reason Eva gets bashed so harshly while Elfen Lied gets praised as a masterpiece.

TrueSilverFox and Mon_Ami roamed Caballa together in Trickster Online, searching its ruins of splendor.

Valeria, sworn only to her sword and herself, traverses Erinn in Mabinogi with her pet silver fox, Truesilver.

"Whoa, TrueSilverFox, girl! Anyone ever tell you you look like some sun-bronzed Greek Goddess these days?"

08-08-2008   #37 (permalink)
Bleughhh
Games
Grand ChaseElswordLeague of LegendsEden Eternal

Kenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant futureKenzor has a brilliant future
IGN: Kenzor

i will stab anyone who says/said pokemon is overrated looololololo

08-08-2008   #38 (permalink)
STEP
Awards Event WinnerMoM AwardSotW BeginnerWandering EyeFacebook FanTwitter Fan

WhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond reputeWhatThePhuc has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePhuc Send a message via MSN to WhatThePhuc
IGN: Phuc Tran
Class: Visual Arts Major lt_warlord
Level: 23
Guild: University of California, San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzor
i will stab anyone who says/said pokemon is overrated looololololo
the OLD pokemon is different from the current one
the concept was pretty original, but then new shit started coming out, the pokerap is outdated cuz there's no set number anymore
though the old series DID have some useless fillers(not as bad as naruto*cough*) the same shit always happens to team rocket
but i remember when specific episodes were advertised, i mean if there's gonna be an epic episode, EVERYONE KNOWS ABOUT IT(example: magmar vs charizard lol)

with the later pokemon series, it just went downhill for me

Last edited by WhatThePhuc; 08-08-2008 at 05:35 PM.

08-08-2008   #39 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Regular

ShunWolfkin is on a distinguished road

In my experience these types of threads derail into a "Which Popular anime do you dislike" type list.

Overrated will depend on time frame, hype, content, and location/exposure-to-viewer. Obviously when an anime first comes out is when it has the largest chance of being overrated. The longer it is out the more likely it is that its flaws will be readily visible. Quite possibly causing DBZ decay(yeah, I made that up so what).

Speaking of Dragon Ball Z; when it was originally airing it had a large amount of hype and its content at least when compared to animes of its time(I don't limit this comparison by cultural boundries) was... well it wasn't bad but it wasn't quite as good as everyone made out. At one time it may have been overrated. Now though it seems it is 'popular' to make fun of it. Then again who doesn't like a "IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!" joke here and there.

The DBZ of this decade is quite probably Naruto. That doesn't mean it is bad. Rather it gets all the publicity which gives off the impression that it is the best show airing at the moment. Which is not true. Once again it isn't a bad show, and overall I would say it is better than DBZ by a fair margin.... however, it still gives off more bluff then it realizes in my opinion.

Bleach, Death Note, Haruhi, etc.... they never really got the hype. Well maybe bleach to some extent. However, I don't remember Death Note receiving deceiving amounts of hype. Everyone I know that watched it got more or less what they expected from it.

This brings me to location. Particularly in the case of Anime you get a lot of it by word of mouth. This can greatly change the hype. For example in my area we more or less got what we expected, however, I have spoken with people that received much more hype just due to the circles they were in.

However, location is by far the most minor thing to take into view. Generally we are speaking on a global aspect in these discussions(or at least that is what I am assuming). Thus, while individual locations are important, it is equally important to take into account the 'overall' hype levels.

There is one other thing I forgot to note in concerning time period. This is also for something like Robotech. I watched it when it was first airing. Personally if anything it felt under-hyped in my area. However, looking back on it now it seems overrated almost. But this is because the bar of quality has greatly raised in the past decade or so. Basically its age shows.

Err.. I got off track, maybe? well I know my mind jumped the track so this be the end.

...... Really it is , you can stop reading this post now.

08-08-2008   #40 (permalink)
C'est La Vie

Mysteria will become famous soon enoughMysteria will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Mysteria
IGN: Eyelash
Level: 143

Personally the over rated ones are:

Naruto (stupid narutards and sasuke lovers)
Bleach
Inuyasha (GAY)
One Piece ( I actually liked this anime, at least the non-english dubbed one)
FMA ( I loved this anime to death, but it is indeed over-rated)