/gg FTW! Regular

Joon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Joon
IGN: S2준식S2
Class: Knight
Level: 11
Guild: None
Default Dubbing

Well I'm not much of a Anime watcher but here I go anyway.
Why does everyone get so pissed off about dubbing, well I can understand changing the character name to something really stupid or Unrelated to the character. But all my friends go "OMG in -Insert anime-, -Insert a character name- Actually sounds like a guy those BAKA (Yes Baka >.>) dubbers" So why does everyone get so mad? The story is usually basically the same. So thats pretty much my question, why does everyone hate dubbing so much? Actually I prefer dubs hehe

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
07-19-2008   #2 (permalink)
a.k.a. Nyekun

Paul is just really nicePaul is just really nicePaul is just really nicePaul is just really nicePaul is just really nice

they have less emotion

My Anime List / Playstation Network - Niikun

07-19-2008   #3 (permalink)
swiggity swag
Special
Games
Sword 2MabinogiTrickster OnlineRagnarok Online
Awards Retired Division HeadEvent WinnerGrand Signature Champion AwardSotW Beginner

Ascherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ascherit
IGN: Kaitoru
Level: weak
Guild: SOS Brigade

I'm used to hearing seiyuus instead of voice actors. :C It's a personal preference for me, I guess.

these swimming gays ruined my life

07-19-2008   #4 (permalink)
Expired

Hector is on a distinguished road
IGN: No.
Class: No.
Level: No.
Guild: Debaters, [JW]

There's one thing I'd like to point out,
Why do some say subs make you miss the action?
I just glance at them, you should be able to read that fast at least. .-.

07-19-2008   #5 (permalink)
swiggity swag
Special
Games
Sword 2MabinogiTrickster OnlineRagnarok Online
Awards Retired Division HeadEvent WinnerGrand Signature Champion AwardSotW Beginner

Ascherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond reputeAscherit has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ascherit
IGN: Kaitoru
Level: weak
Guild: SOS Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector
There's one thing I'd like to point out,
Why do some say subs make you miss the action?
I just glance at them, you should be able to read that fast at least. .-.
Unless you're dyslexic or something.

I just quickly read the subs when they pop up and then look at the pretty pictures.

these swimming gays ruined my life

07-19-2008   #6 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker

HennaIkimono will become famous soon enough

I pretty want to hear the show/movie/etc. in its original voices/language, especially when it comes to anime. Plus, I can read most of the subtitles and watch whats going on screen because I've watched a lot of subbed anime. After watching said anime series in japanese, the dubbed afterwords tends to sound "Ewwww". thru I do have some tolerence for watching dubbed anime on TV, out of fact that I can't change the language to Japanese.
Justice, Il 60458
Flat Lick, Ky 40935
Paint Lick Ky 40461
Flower Mound, Tx 75022
Cumming, Ga 30040
King of Prussia, Ga 19406

07-19-2008   #7 (permalink)
Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senpai

I just quickly read the subs when they pop up and then look at the pretty pictures.
Exactly. :<

07-20-2008   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Gawayno is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gawayno Send a message via MSN to Gawayno Send a message via Yahoo to Gawayno
IGN: Gawayno
Level: 2x
Guild: Synergy

i will say it, not only the voices are bad but they edit it out pretty horribly, like when for example with 4kids entertainment, they edit out toyko mew mew and one piece badly by cutting out the partial nudity, changing the story of character, and changing character names and design.

07-20-2008   #9 (permalink)
oh wow
Special

DemiGodDanzig will become famous soon enoughDemiGodDanzig will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to DemiGodDanzig
IGN: Danzig
Class: College
Guild: Debaters

bad dubbing can tottaly kill the mood of an anime.
especially if its a main character.
the japanese sure know how to find great voice actors that match a character.

07-20-2008   #10 (permalink)
GM Magnet
Special

SEGAMew will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to SEGAMew
IGN: ~LeonSchroeder~, HaoQiao,
Class: Lion to_scientist
Level: 253
Guild: DayBreak

This mainly applies to how 4Kids run the show.

Change in music:

Dumbing down eomtional scenes:

Changing music AND dumbing down emotional scenes:

Death coverups:

And the fact that Japanese VA > English VA.

Bad example but you know what I meant.

To be honest, the way Shadow sounded in Sonic X made me stop watching Sonic X for 2 years. I was traumatized.

[Temporary Sig Until I Get a New one] - Now where have I heard that one before @.@
[Leon's Thread of Arts]

Last edited by SEGAMew; 07-20-2008 at 12:24 PM.

07-20-2008   #11 (permalink)
C'est La Vie

Mysteria will become famous soon enoughMysteria will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Mysteria
IGN: Eyelash
Level: 143

Japanese always make the best and original anime.

07-21-2008   #12 (permalink)
Mr BLOW YOUR MIND Simple
Special
Games
La TaleTrickster OnlineWorld of WarcraftLineage II
Awards Retired Content StaffTwitter Fan

PedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond reputePedroRomero has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Seasoning
Class: Cleric & Knight to_gambler
Level: E
Guild: Hardcore

well i like english dub too. I may watch a japanese original first but once the english come out i'm strictly for english dub. it may take a time to get used to the voice but in the end it end up fine. Like in Tactics, Sugino had very similar voices. And in English characters sound more boyish and I personally like that too...

example is PoT where Fuji's english voice is so AWESOME! I like the English voices. In Japanese the boys will sound like a woman or like an old man twice their age. In English they sound in between or good for them! Oh and in Japanese Mizuki's voice not creepy but in English he has a perfect villan voice! I liked it it was so creepy

07-21-2008   #13 (permalink)
Snow Vampire
Special
Games
Atlantica Online
Awards Retired Forum ModeratorSpirit of ggFTW

Miyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond reputeMiyuki has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Miyuki
IGN: Sarafina

Dubs...acceptable IF they really "feels" the characters in the show, and not just pure shyt reading from text book <_<

k, that's my opinion, lol.

07-21-2008   #14 (permalink)
Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyuki
Dubs...acceptable IF they really "feels" the characters in the show, and not just pure shyt reading from text book <_<

k, that's my opinion, lol.
"Chaos Control now"?

You need to watch the Shadow VA's comparison (That Leon posted earlier) to get this. 8D

07-21-2008   #15 (permalink)
:l
Special
Awards Retired Division HeadPervert Award

SlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond repute

If I watch a show in one language I find it hard to switch over because I've already associated the character to that voice. That's why DBZ and Inuyasha seemed so shitty in japanese clips to me back when I watched them. Goku and Inuyasha sounded radically different between the two languages lol.

As for voice actors, japan seems to have more dedication towards that sort of thing. Plus english voice actors have nothing to do with shitty translations that kill alot of dubs.

I don't bother with dubs anymore either since I usually watch what I want to subbed long before it gets dubbed.

07-21-2008   #16 (permalink)
K1
???

K1 will become famous soon enoughK1 will become famous soon enough
Class: ??? lt_gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBstraCt
If I watch a show in one language I find it hard to switch over because I've already associated the character to that voice. That's why DBZ and Inuyasha seemed so shitty in japanese clips to me back when I watched them. Goku and Inuyasha sounded radically different between the two languages lol.

As for voice actors, japan seems to have more dedication towards that sort of thing. Plus english voice actors have nothing to do with shitty translations that kill alot of dubs.

I don't bother with dubs anymore either since I usually watch what I want to subbed long before it gets dubbed.
Holy shit Mongo right for once?

07-21-2008   #17 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Regular

I agree if you watch something you'll get more accustomed to hearing it in that language. Actually when you think about it some Characters Do match but more Americanized because of differences in speaking styles. And I don't blame them for cutting out partial nudity because c'mon it's nudity. Don't want kids to watch some lady's boob to come flinging out when watching some show. I dunno i was thinking about this O_o. And Shitty translations aren't always hmm "shitty" sometimes they have cultural jokes or whatever and theres really just no way to translate them for English speaking viewers so they just change the whole thing. I watched a 4kids interview it was quite interesting.

Lol, Amen thank whatever deity you people believe in. Mango got something right...

07-21-2008   #18 (permalink)
:l
Special
Awards Retired Division HeadPervert Award

SlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond reputeSlowBro has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelouch
Holy shit Mongo right for once?
Oh god my bad. I'll go back to being borderline retarded.

07-21-2008   #19 (permalink)
/gg FTW! Regular

lol, I rather talk to a intelligent person D:

07-21-2008   #20 (permalink)
GM Magnet
Special

SEGAMew will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to SEGAMew
IGN: ~LeonSchroeder~, HaoQiao,
Class: Lion to_scientist
Level: 253
Guild: DayBreak

I like to know where the "now" comes into play in "translating" >___> It's almost like Shadow is talking to the Chaos Emerald and expecting it to do his bidding. And doing it in an overexaggerated DBZ otaku anime fan voice.

[Temporary Sig Until I Get a New one] - Now where have I heard that one before @.@
[Leon's Thread of Arts]