Grand Fantasia
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

Grand Fantasia

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
11-30-2008   #1 (permalink)
Designer

Location: In the Long Ago, when Things were Otherwise and the Moon was Different
Ryugen will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Ryugen
Class: Non-existant lt_treasurehunter
Level: <3
Default Vexille - Action movie

I just recently bought and watched this, and was very pleasantly surprised. It's your basic sci-fi action flick, but with a little something else. The entire thing is done in 3D, and it doesn't disappoint. The animation is smooth, the colouring and lighting are perfect, and the clipping is excellent as well.

A lot of the storyline is predictable and easy to see coming before it happens, but that does, in some way, make it more enjoyable. It's got enough cliche to make you feel at home while not too much to make you feel like you're watching yet another 3d action movie. It has a few deep moments and a lot of communication that isn't verbal yet easy to spot and fun to be a part of. There are also a few surprises along the way and interesting twists.

The animation of all the machines is smooth and interesting, the designs diverse and intricate, and the entire thing really well animated. The only let down with the animation is the humans; they tend to walk a little weird in the beginning, their expressions tend to be a little static when they're shown, and the positions of the extras are all very similar (even when a few of the subcharacters are on the same shot together they'll take the same pose in reaction to something), although I suppose some of this could be on purpose and make it easier to relate to the subcharacters. Although there could be many reasons for the poses. The animation does, however, get better as time goes on.

Characters in this are well fleshed out and hold a lot of interesting twists, admittedly some a bit predictable. While a lot of the cliches make them easier to relate to, there's a lot to them that can come as a surprise. The unspoken communications between characters adds a lot to their personality and how believeable they are.

This movie has, admittedly, topped my list of favourite anime movies, however, only by a subatomic amount above the Patlabor movies. Vexille is an awesome, fun, and action packed movie that poses some interesting interesting questions and a hell of a ride along the way. I thoroughly recommend you check it out.

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
11-30-2008   #2 (permalink)
oh wow
Special

DemiGodDanzig will become famous soon enoughDemiGodDanzig will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to DemiGodDanzig
IGN: Danzig
Class: College
Guild: Debaters

wow,you know,I just had a conversation with a friend who told me about this movie about,2-3 days ago
weird
anyway,the premise sounded really good,and it looks nice aswell
I was planning on checking it out in the future.

11-30-2008   #3 (permalink)
how i shot gaem?
Games
Trickster Online

Sodacan is just really niceSodacan is just really niceSodacan is just really niceSodacan is just really niceSodacan is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Sodacan Send a message via MSN to Sodacan Send a message via Skype™ to Sodacan

I originally watched this at Anime North back in May. I didn't get to see all of it at the showing so I bought it in the dealer's room lol. Anyway, I really do like this movie. The robots are so awesome. 8D

11-30-2008   #4 (permalink)
too much effort
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterAtlantica OnlineGlobal AgendaUrban Rivals

WhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to behold
IGN: WhatThePho
Class: Maniac
Guild: Mooglets v1.1

11-30-2008   #5 (permalink)
Designer

Location: In the Long Ago, when Things were Otherwise and the Moon was Different

I've read the original Appleseed manga by Masamune Shirow, seen the OVA, and this isn't the same at all. It's merely from the same producer/director.

11-30-2008   #6 (permalink)
too much effort
Games
SD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterAtlantica OnlineGlobal AgendaUrban Rivals

WhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to beholdWhatThePho is a splendid one to behold
IGN: WhatThePho
Class: Maniac
Guild: Mooglets v1.1

Let's play a little ID game.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Now... from the above, we can see that the graphical difference between Appleseed, the movie of course, differs only slightly from Vexille. It's like Final Fantasy games: you can increase the plot twists by ten fold for each new game, but it's still the same old Final Fantasy with similar skills and items.

Last edited by WhatThePho; 11-30-2008 at 05:27 PM.

12-01-2008   #7 (permalink)
Designer

Saying Vexille is just Appleseed under a different name is like saying Ghost in the Shell is Dominion: Tank Police under a different name.

Your statement that they are merely the same under different names, purely because of animation style, shows your lack of care for either production. I, however, don't see why a movie based on a similar idea as another is a bad thing. I never said it was entirely original, but I still liked it for what it had.

If you expect a huge involving plot line from an action movie, you'll always be in for disappointment.