Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
04-05-2013   #1 (permalink)
advertising space
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
MabinogiDC Universe OnlineVindictusLineage II
Awards Most Valuable StaffAdmin AwardStaff AwardEvent WinnerEvents RegularMoM AwardSotW SeniorHarem JuniorLucky StreakArtifact HoarderFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Harlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Harlequin Send a message via MSN to Harlequin Send a message via Skype™ to Harlequin
IGN: Cecilia Juelle
Class: Monk/Goldsmith lt_treasurehunter
Level: 50
Guild: Rapscallions
Xfire: glarbage
Default Aku no Hana

Type: TV
Episodes: Unknown
Aired: Apr 5, 2013 to ?
Producers: Starchild Records, Zexcs
Genres: Drama, Romance, School, Psychological

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAnimeList
Kasuga Takao is a boy who loves reading books, particularly Baudelaire's Les Fleurs du Mal. A girl at his school, Saeki Nanako, is his muse and his Venus, and he admires her from a distance. One day, he forgets his copy of Les Fleurs du Mal in the classroom and runs back alone to pick it up. In the classroom, he finds not only his book, but Saeki's gym uniform. On a mad impulse, he steals it.

Now everyone knows "some pervert" stole Saeki's uniform, and Kasuga is dying with shame and guilt. Furthermore, the weird, creepy, and friendless girl of the class, Nakamura, saw him take the uniform. Instead of revealing it was him, she recognizes his kindred deviant spirit and uses her knowledge to take control of his life. Will it be possible for Kasuga to get closer to Saeki, despite Nakamura's meddling and his dark secret? What exactly does Nakamura intend to do with him?

Okay so first things first, the animation style for this show is different than anything a lot of you might have seen. You're not going to see a lot of what I mean in the trailer that I've posted above... But anyway. Specifically, they've used a process called rotoscoping. First, they filmed a live action adaptation, and then they drew over it (both digitally and traditionally, given the necessity). So in a lot of frames, the characters look sort of odd, and definitely not at all similar to the appearances in the manga, but don't let that bother you. If you've watched films like A Scanner Darkly, or seen a few specific music videos from the 90s, then this really shouldn't be something new to you.

Now, in my opinion, the way they went about the animation adds to the overall ambience of the show, and actually fits it really well. I'm honestly not sure how they would have handled a lot of specific scenes if they had done it in the typical format. I've seen a lot of complaints from the typical anime-viewing crowd, and that's to be expected. But open-minded adults or people with art-related backgrounds should definitely be able to understand and appreciate the style they went with and why they went with it.

Also, this show is full of delicious scenery. They literally hired on a whole studio just do the backgrounds, apparently. And they did it very well.

The music is appropriately strange. Like, I can't say I like or dislike it, but it absolutely suits the story.

I can't wait to see what they do with the rest of this series. Discuss?

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
04-05-2013   #2 (permalink)
Belay that order!
Games
ElswordGrand ChaseTrickster OnlineMabinogi
Awards Event WinnerLucky StreakPervert Award

Veloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant future

Personally I think the art and animation look hideous.
Rotoscoping didn't look good back then, and it certainly doesn't look good now.

The OP and ED also look very bland and unimpressive.

I'm willing to get used to all of this if the plot is good, though.

04-05-2013   #3 (permalink)
-
Special
Games
FlyFFAngels OnlineKitsu SagaSecret of the Solstice
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerEvents RegularSotW JuniorHarem JuniorDetail DetectiveFinders, KeepersTHE CHAMP

Almora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Almora

at 1st i thought it was the method when animators snap irl pics and then draw on them(luv this style btw), but i was wrong. the art is different and it doesn't bug me that much. the ONLY thing that i can't stand is the MC's friends, esp. that fat ugly guy omfg. i almost threw up my organs when another 1 guy finished going to the urinal and forgot to wash smh!!

the 1st ep was rlly slow and since it's psychological im being real cautious, it's either gunna be a hit or miss for me, we'll see. the ED is disturbing, but it has a nice melody.

04-06-2013   #4 (permalink)
[ うそつき ] M e m o i r é
Games
Grand ChaseMapleStoryRagnarok OnlineRequiem
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerSotW Junior

Pshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud of
IGN: Tsurukie
Class: Eir lu_eir
Guild: Titans

Interesting . Reminds me of stuff like " Perfect Blue ", although . . . I think they really didn't even try to ease up in between frames at all :/ it's also kind of odd to see a lot of faceless people when they're that near, but hey . . . At first I thought it was kind of symbolic, until the eyes started to pop up out of nowhere <_< ANYWAY, I was kind of not that into it, until boom ~ Nakamura appeared, so I'll stick around for a while ( also the ending pulled me in, as well )

I loved the ending & the BGM in general . WHERE'S HIGURASHI NO NAKU KORO NIIIII ! ?

EDIT : Oh, yeah ! I second Pocky . That boy was really, really, REALLY annoying D: I was like " UGH GET OUT . DISAPPEAR " when he was like " dacing " or idk and his VA doesn't help AT ALL D:<

Last edited by Pshfrk; 04-06-2013 at 02:44 AM.

04-06-2013   #5 (permalink)
Planeswalker
ggFTW Star
Games
ElswordDungeon Fighter OnlineDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerPervert Award

RoflKnife has disabled reputation

Jesus, this has to be rotoscoping done wrong. Or at least really ****ing lazily.

Meanwhile...

04-06-2013   #6 (permalink)
Derpin' Herpin'
Games
LuniaSD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterRusty HeartsAika Online
Awards MoM AwardPervert Award

Metty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to Metty

People having no facial details at all, it's like Kubo decided to help them animate this. Tempted to just drop it and read the manga instead.

04-06-2013   #7 (permalink)
advertising space
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games
Awards Most Valuable StaffAdmin AwardStaff AwardEvent WinnerEvents RegularMoM AwardSotW SeniorHarem JuniorLucky StreakArtifact HoarderFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Harlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond reputeHarlequin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Harlequin Send a message via MSN to Harlequin Send a message via Skype™ to Harlequin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metty

People having no facial details at all, it's like Kubo decided to help them animate this. Tempted to just drop it and read the manga instead.
Should read the manga anyway just because it's further along than the show is actually going to get. Also because Oshimi Shuuzou is a fantastic author and artist :v

04-06-2013   #8 (permalink)
a.k.a. Nyekun

Paul is just really nicePaul is just really nicePaul is just really nicePaul is just really nicePaul is just really nice

The threads on MAL are hilarious about this. I've been reluctant to watch it honestly because of all this talk.

My Anime List / Playstation Network - Niikun

04-13-2013   #9 (permalink)
-
Special
Games
FlyFFAngels OnlineKitsu SagaSecret of the Solstice
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerEvents RegularSotW JuniorHarem JuniorDetail DetectiveFinders, KeepersTHE CHAMP

Almora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond reputeAlmora has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Almora

OMFG I HAD TO l0l.

while we're on the topic of puberty, like wtf it's like sum1 was rubbing their pubic hairs on the mic, that shit was unpleasant to the ears <_>

also sum1 stole my p.e. clothes 1 time, ugh.

04-13-2013   #10 (permalink)
advertising space
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games

Wrote a piece on this show for oprainfall:

Aku no Hana and Rotoscoping | oprainfall

04-27-2013   #11 (permalink)
[ うそつき ] M e m o i r é
Games

Pshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud ofPshfrk has much to be proud of

Loving Nakamura and the new OP . Hating but also loving how the main chara is just so squishable

Spoiler!

HNNNGH YESS

Last edited by Pshfrk; 05-05-2013 at 02:23 AM.

05-04-2013   #12 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games
LuniaSilkroad OnlineDynasty Warriors OnlineTales of Fantasy

Saibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of light

I gave Aku no Hana finally a shot: The manga hooked me up in a instant and I read everything scanlated in a single day (love you Nakamura). Then thereīs the infamous anime... Iīm impressed at how badly the rotoscoping can screw up everything.

I hope the Blu-ray / DVD will feature something like below. At least Nakamura will be a beauty again and not some sort of manwoman.

05-14-2013   #13 (permalink)
Mega
Games
LuniaVindictusS4 LeagueDragon Nest
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerMoM AwardImage SleuthFacebook FanTwitter FanPervert Award

Donges has a reputation beyond reputeDonges has a reputation beyond reputeDonges has a reputation beyond reputeDonges has a reputation beyond reputeDonges has a reputation beyond reputeDonges has a reputation beyond reputeDonges has a reputation beyond reputeDonges has a reputation beyond reputeDonges has a reputation beyond reputeDonges has a reputation beyond reputeDonges has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Dezel
Class: Support lt_mage
Level: 30
Guild: Prisma

Attempted to watch this....my eyes can't take it...it hurts ;_;

May try again later?

05-15-2013   #14 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games

Saibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of lightSaibak is a glorious beacon of light

It gets better from episode five and onwards. At least you donīt see these really awkward facial expressions from the first episodes anymore.

06-03-2013   #15 (permalink)
advertising space
Special
ggFTW Pro
Games

Episode 9 is out and subbed.

Well, Kasuga is in for a world of trouble. Looking forward to seeing how they finish the series. Those of us who have read the manga can pretty much assume where they're gonna end it at, but it'll still be nice to see how they decide to go about it from here.

06-03-2013   #16 (permalink)
Belay that order!
Games
ElswordGrand ChaseTrickster OnlineMabinogi
Awards Event WinnerLucky StreakPervert Award

Veloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant futureVeloze has a brilliant future

I'm enjoying seeing Kasuga's life fall apart.
Am I a bad person?

Also **** what I said about the op and ed I'm an idiot

06-09-2013   #17 (permalink)
[ うそつき ] M e m o i r é
Games

3 Left . . . That was pretty soothing, which makes sense . . .

Loved the last 7 mins .

Nakamura <3

06-30-2013   #18 (permalink)
[ うそつき ] M e m o i r é
Games

I really liked this one . . . Specially the OST

Surprisingly, I'm not disappointed .
Spoiler!

Nakamura ♥

Last edited by Pshfrk; 06-30-2013 at 05:24 AM.

06-30-2013   #19 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Games

Default So itīs over

During the first five episodes I was about to drop the show, but after that I somewhat enjoyed watching the show. 'Somewhat', because at times the pacing was extremely slow and all you could see was a character slowly walking around the city in silence for several minutes.

The Rotoscoping was also a unique experience. It works quite well at close shots and the movement looks very smooth, but when it comes to distsant persons itīs just bad.

The last episode wasnīt really what I expected. First we got an uneccessary recap of all previous episodes, followed by a fast forward of future events. If I didnīt read the manga before, Iīd be pretty baffled about whatīs going on.

6.5/10 - The final episode slightly ruined it for me.