ggFTW

MMORPG Gamer Community

Go Back   ggFTW Forum > Archive Material (Read Only) > Retired Forums > Retired Games > Aion Online

League of Legends
Looking for a new MMO?

Try 

League of Legends

Rating:  

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
05-17-2010   #1 (permalink)
I KNOW THAT FEEL BRO
Special

Shirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Shirakani
IGN: Kyoji
Class: Shootin' Mah Balls
Level: 130
Guild: Minerva
Default Thinking of trying this for real

So ok, i've pserv0r'd this game and it seems quite nice... Thinking of trying it on official server for real for the proper 'MMO' experience. However i've read some rather damning things about the official server...

How true is;

1) The fun stuff is lvl1-30, then from 31-50 all you're doing is grinding ala Lineage II and getting ganked while trying to complete a ridiculously long quest chain to get your epic PvE armor set to stand a chance against those who are ganking your ass.

2) Craptastic drop rates in high end instances. Trying to PvE for your top end gear = forget it. Trying to get PvP armor vs those who played early and already HAS their PvP armor = forget it unless you're the FOTM class.

3) Bot city, NCsoft does nothing, or is waving the banhammer on legit ppl and not giving a crap if they ban you coz they already has ur monies.

4) Just... nothing worth doing past 30.

Any of those true? Is it worth trying the real serv0r or should i preserve my 'fun' image of the game and stay on pserv0rs?

Get rid of this ad by registering for our community.
05-18-2010   #2 (permalink)
wat?
Games
Anarchy OnlineAionAtlantica OnlineFinal Fantasy XIV
Awards Facebook Fan

DarkRayne has a spectacular aura aboutDarkRayne has a spectacular aura aboutDarkRayne has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to DarkRayne
Class: Sith Assassin lt_sorcerer
Guild: Omega Matrix
Xfire: d4rthsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirakani
So ok, i've pserv0r'd this game and it seems quite nice... Thinking of trying it on official server for real for the proper 'MMO' experience. However i've read some rather damning things about the official server...

How true is;

1) The fun stuff is lvl1-30, then from 31-50 all you're doing is grinding ala Lineage II and getting ganked while trying to complete a ridiculously long quest chain to get your epic PvE armor set to stand a chance against those who are ganking your ass.
There's quality fun beyond 30 but if you're one that doesn't like grinding at all and would rather coast by gaining all of your experience from quests then no, it won't be fun to you. As far as getting ganked goes, it's more frequent in the so called "PvPvE" zone than anywhere else especially since it's a shared region by both races, otherwise it's not near as frequent (at least in my experience). Most cases, form a group, if you have 2 or more people at the same time, the enemy doesn't bother to attempt to gank most of the time.

2) Craptastic drop rates in high end instances. Trying to PvE for your top end gear = forget it. Trying to get PvP armor vs those who played early and already HAS their PvP armor = forget it unless you're the FOTM class.
Personally only at 40, so I wouldn't consider myself at high end yet so I can't say anything here.

3) Bot city, NCsoft does nothing, or is waving the banhammer on legit ppl and not giving a crap if they ban you coz they already has ur monies.
This I find false, it was a serious case when the game launced but NCsoft has done a good job taking care of MRT. Hell, even look at their website for videos that try to inform people not to associate with those things. As far as actual bots that are farming in game, I've only ever experienced seeing one character do so.

To one's own opinion, people find their fun in this game in different ways.

Any of those true? Is it worth trying the real serv0r or should i preserve my 'fun' image of the game and stay on pserv0rs?
fillerrrrrrr

05-18-2010   #3 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Special
Games
AionAll Point Bulletin (APB)Asheron's CallAtlantica Online
Awards Retired Forum Operations Staff

Theosis has a reputation beyond reputeTheosis has a reputation beyond reputeTheosis has a reputation beyond reputeTheosis has a reputation beyond reputeTheosis has a reputation beyond reputeTheosis has a reputation beyond reputeTheosis has a reputation beyond reputeTheosis has a reputation beyond reputeTheosis has a reputation beyond reputeTheosis has a reputation beyond reputeTheosis has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Theosis

1) 1-30 is alright, it's boring for me, but then again I've done it like 10 times. After 30 it's mainly grinding with quests here and there. You don't always get ganked, it really just depends where you're grinding. I've leveled an alt recently, 1-35 and only ran into asmos once in a while (mainly because I was grinding in the Abyss which is a free pvp zone that includes both factions) - if you level in the other areas, you won't find asmos as much.

2) Drop rate kinda sucks, I don't find it that terrible. Although they are increasing the drop rate for a lot of instances in the next patch (1.9) which is apparently coming out at the end of May, but I think it'll be delayed since it's not even on their PTS yet (Public Test Server).

Getting Miragent which is the best PvE set is pretty hard, although the prices for the items needed has drastically decreased and will be even easier to get in 1.9 since more mobs will be dropping it.

PvP set is pretty hard to get and very time consuming. Even vets will still have a hard time getting it because once you're a high rank, you lose a lot of AP when dying to the opposite faction. Most high ranks just stay in safe areas and only do Fort instances (easy way to get AP without risking your AP) or run Dark Poeta (end-game instance which mobs give AP.

3) Bots and gold sellers have drastically decreased. I rarely see any anymore.

4) As stated by DarkRayne, it's a matter of opinion really.

Name Changes: Please check if usernames are available before requesting by typing this in your address bar:
http://ggftw.com/forum/members/username_wanted_here.html
Steam Account - doobie15
Battle.net Account - Theosis#1417
Guild Wars 2 IGN - Theosis.8752

05-18-2010   #4 (permalink)
I KNOW THAT FEEL BRO
Special

Shirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to beholdShirakani is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Shirakani
IGN: Kyoji
Class: Shootin' Mah Balls
Level: 130
Guild: Minerva

Thanks for replying guys.

I think i'll just stay on pserv0rs for now and wait till the 1.9 then decide. Right now, reading around many places including the official forams, there's a lot of bad vibe going on towards NCSoft and the state of the game in general. The kind of vibe that's reminiscent of the negativity on AO official forums months before the game went right down the shitter.

So yeah, once bitten twice shy... Wait and see, wait and see.

05-18-2010   #5 (permalink)
wat?
Games
Anarchy OnlineAionAtlantica OnlineFinal Fantasy XIV
Awards Facebook Fan

DarkRayne has a spectacular aura aboutDarkRayne has a spectacular aura aboutDarkRayne has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to DarkRayne
Class: Sith Assassin lt_sorcerer
Guild: Omega Matrix
Xfire: d4rthsid

At least this doesn't require beelions of dollahs but it does require plenty of your time.
If you're one to consider time = money, then I guess you would be spending beelions of dollahs. Oh and I'm forgetting about the monthly fee.

Last edited by DarkRayne; 05-18-2010 at 07:53 PM.

05-19-2010   #6 (permalink)
ggFTW Stalker
Special
Games
AionAll Point Bulletin (APB)Asheron's CallAtlantica Online
Awards Retired Forum Operations Staff

Theosis has a reputation beyond reputeTheosis has a reputation beyond reputeTheosis has a reputation beyond reputeTheosis has a reputation beyond reputeTheosis has a reputation beyond reputeTheosis has a reputation beyond reputeTheosis has a reputation beyond reputeTheosis has a reputation beyond reputeTheosis has a reputation beyond reputeTheosis has a reputation beyond reputeTheosis has a reputation beyond repute
IGN: Theosis

Quote:
Thanks for replying guys.

I think i'll just stay on pserv0rs for now and wait till the 1.9 then decide. Right now, reading around many places including the official forams, there's a lot of bad vibe going on towards NCSoft and the state of the game in general. The kind of vibe that's reminiscent of the negativity on AO official forums months before the game went right down the shitter.

So yeah, once bitten twice shy... Wait and see, wait and see.
They announced 1.9 yesterday to be coming out on the Official Servers on June 2nd. May 25th for the PTS

Name Changes: Please check if usernames are available before requesting by typing this in your address bar:
http://ggftw.com/forum/members/username_wanted_here.html
Steam Account - doobie15
Battle.net Account - Theosis#1417
Guild Wars 2 IGN - Theosis.8752

05-19-2010   #7 (permalink)
Takamina=waifu material
Games
Iris OnlineLegend of EddaLa Tale

Bacon is a jewel in the roughBacon is a jewel in the roughBacon is a jewel in the roughBacon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Bacon
IGN: Bacon
Class: Cleric
Guild: Hello Gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis
They announced 1.9 yesterday to be coming out on the Official Servers on June 2nd. May 25th for the PTS
Yeah, I just saw that today, I'm re subbing to try it out haha. 1.9 looks promising:P

05-22-2010   #8 (permalink)
ggFTW Addict

Tuvis has disabled reputation
IGN: Symphony
Class: Spiritmaster lt_sorcerer
Level: 55
Guild: Nishibo
Xfire: tuvis

Quote:

How true is;

Dont lurk these forums often anymore, but throwing in a lil input about your points.

1) More fun stuff at 31-40, as thats generally the peak of PvP rifting. 1-30 is generally just PvEing, unless you venture around abyss at 25 when you can access it, but then get buttslammed by bored Lv40-50 players. Grind is generally overly exagerrated by people who come from WoW. Its hardly anything close to how horrible the grind in L2 was by far. Expect to get ganked a bunch tho as you are levelling in zones where people can rift, there are lots of overgeared "twinks" from those 50s who are bored and cant play worth squat.

2) Very craptastic, yes. Dark Poeta drop rates are horrible. Been running it daily for 4 months(~120 days) and have yet to see orb/book drop from B grade boss. </3. Getting the PvP armor isnt that big of a deal, as you can just run fort instances for it(and thats what everyone pretty much have done). A good static with a good legion, and you are very set. Miragent/Fenris on other hand will be a pain in the rear, albeit it'll be "easier" to get bloods in 1.9 and attempt the hot heart of magic, the new obstacle of annoyance will be Tears of Luck quest part instead.

3) No idea for NA; but on EU(Perento) bots are rare and few at present. Tho of course this had good/bad sides. Bots made the prices actually manageable, where some things are now redicilously priced when theyre gone. NCSoft have bad accuracy on that banhammer tho. Innocents getting banned, and hackers/etc not. ;p

4) Well, as said. 31-40 was definately the most fun part of the game. IMHO. Once you hit 41+ tho, boredom will start biting in you, and as you ding 50 and discover the horrible grind there(because the grinding for gear is so much worse than actually getting to 50)... well. Its boring to do loldredgion, dark poeta, forts, and then roam around to try find people to PvP because the population is so thinned down. Oh and there is the zerg vs zerg sieges... assuming your PC can handle it, and not have a 4fps slideshow.