View Single Post
09-04-2009   #2 (permalink)
Metty
Derpin' Herpin'
Games
LuniaSD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterRusty HeartsAika Online
Awards MoM AwardPervert Award

Metty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to Metty

This is another article by that horrible writer "Jaime", oh how I enjoy ripping her apart.
HEAVEN OR HELL, DUEL THREE, LETS ROCK!

Quote:
I was discussing upcoming MMOs with a friend a few weeks ago when she mentioned a term I hadn't heard before: The Warhammer Mistake. She explained that the "Warhammer Mistake" is when an MMO developer decides to make PvP the only viable means of end-game entertainment. She argued that this same problem was to plague Aion, a PvPvE game.
Your friend made up a term congrats, she now officially has more originality than you. There is nothing wrong with PvP for end game. WoW is a PvE game with PvP thrown in to make it appear as both PvP and PvE. Also as a player of both WoW and WAR I can easily tell you that your friend is an idiot. WAR combines both the PvE and the PvP to make a unique end game experience. In WAR you besiege the other factions capital city after taking all the fortresses in the tier 4 zone(each level bracket is divided into tiers, tier 1 is 1-11, tier 2 11-21 etc). You Then quest and fight your way through the zones before the enemy capital city until inside of it where things get harder, spending upto several hours fighting through enemy players to get to that factions ruler and defeating him.

Quote:
WoW appears to have raised the bar of expectations of players – or, at the least, changed those expectations.
Whoopdido. The only thing I and most people ask when trying a new game is are the controls and control customisation similar to WoW and if the UI is horrible, is there a modding community who have made UI mods for that game.
Quote:
But is World of Warcraft setting a good example of end-game balance between PvE and PvP?
No. Just no. After playing WoW for years, no.
Quote:
Class skills and talents, however, remain another issue: skills are constantly rebalanced due to unintended effects in the opposite camp they were planned for. Recent examples include not only the upcoming change to Fan of Knives, but also past changes to Frost Presence, Exorcism, Faerie Fire, and hunter traps.
Hunter traps were made better for both PvP and PvE giving each type (ice, fire, nature) their own separate cooldowns. Faerie Fire was just given a shorter duration in PvP similar to how the crowd control spells work except without diminishing returns.
Quote:
Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14): Now decreases armor of your target by 5%. Has a 5-minute duration, and a 40-second PvP duration.
Quote:
With Mastery and Path of the Titans advancement being added in Cataclysm, this skill balance between PvE and PvP is bound to become only more tenuous.
If you actually read or watched the panels the Mastery system is hardly going to make anything harder. Say a mage puts points in his fire talents, the Mastery system will give him bonuses for that relating to his fire spells, be it more crit or stronger dots. The Mastery system is about making your character better at what it does. Path does the same thing in a different way.

Quote:
To state things more clearly: I don't believe that Warhammer Online, Aion, LOTRO, Darkfall, or any other host of games that focus heavily on either a PvE or PvP experience are making a mistake by not catering equally to both camps of players. What they are doing is providing niche gaming. It's niche gaming that console games have been offering us all along: you wouldn't expect Final Fantasy to have online PvP tournaments, or NBA 2K10 to offer a deep storyline with multiple plot twists and an open world map. These games have a design plan catered to specific styles of game play. Why should MMOs be any different?

Subscriber numbers alone don't measure a game's success, however. They certainly point to a profitable game – but is a game with a half a million happy subscribers any less successful because it turns a smaller profit? There's more to be said than financial success.
HOLY FRACKING HELL! Someone screencap this! I'm actually agreeing with one of the worse MMOsite writers.

I'm in too much shock to continue, for I fear I might agree with her more. I think I'm going to go lay down now...