View Single Post
08-11-2009   #2 (permalink)
Metty
Derpin' Herpin'
Games
LuniaSD Gundam Online: Capsule FighterRusty HeartsAika Online
Awards MoM AwardPervert Award

Metty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant futureMetty has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to Metty

HEEEERES METTY!(Shining reference incase someone didn't pick up on it)

Quote:
1. Anti-addiction: When you don’t pay a monthly subscription for an MMO, you no longer feel the obligation to get “the most for your money” out of it. In times when “gaming addiction” is a topic of mass media discussion, not paying for the game allows you to tear yourself away from the keyboard and remember you have a family (and friends, if you’re lucky!).
Metty counter: This is not true. "gaming addiction" does not stem from choosing to pay for a game, it stems from the inability to control ourselves as we discovered something that we find highly fun and as such easily lose track of time and become "addicted".
Now as for the "you no longer feel the obligation to get “the most for your money” out of it" line, I'm sorry to say that there never was an "obligation to get the most out of my money" when I've subscribed to games, why? Because I like to enjoy myself at play it at my own pace, the subscription fee is low enough for WoW(here in europe) that the money I spent on it is made back in a day.
Quote:
2. Casual-Friendly: If your gaming style is casual, you won’t feel like you’re being cheated because of your limited time. And the grind that inhabits many free-to-play titles (and let’s face it, pay-to-play titles too) won’t seem nearly so onerous if you’re only logging in once or twice a week.
I speak with many years worth of experience when I say this, the main P2P MMO out at the moment happens to be a game I play(WoW). It has over a series of patches been making leveling more casual friendly, which in turn for the non casual also makes it fun to level a fresh character once again, assuming they aren't the frothing at the mouth "OMG Y U DO DIS TO US BLIZZURD" type. The only grind even in it at the moment is the fact that the instance server is constantly full due to one of the many things that was added in this patch causing people to want to instance like mad for gear tokens leaving lower levels to constantly quest. I went from "hardcore" raiding which in all honesty was three four hour long raids a week in top end content during the last half of the previous expansion to playing maybe two or three hours a day casually this expansion. With the help of websites such as Wohead.com and addons such as QuestHelper leveling is very easy if you don't already know all the quests by heart.
Quote:
3. Bring Your Friends: No matter how good the game is, it’s the other players that keep someone in the game. There are numerous people that tried a new MMO, loved the game mechanics, but returned to their old MMO because they missed their old guild and buddies. While a good game helps, it’s your friends that really keep you logging in. So why not have those good times without paying a cent?
Anarchy Online is both F2P and P2P which a few perks for playing I.E able to use content from the expansions after Notom Wars. Now onto the part I bolded. This is mainly in P2P MMOs that people return to their previous one. I took a break from WoW and revisited some of my old haunts such as Anarchy Online and played it for several months during that break from WoW, I also joined my WoW guild in their WAR splinter group(yay for multigaming guild) but due to issues with WAR not liking my graphics card I returned to Lunia for a short while then went back to WoW but I did not return to my old guild. Why? I wanted a fresh start, one or two saw me online leveling my character from when we raided top end content and were surprised to see me and encouraged my starting fresh on another server to help me remember my love of the game again and was welcome to come back to the guild when I felt I was ready. Ladies and Gentlemen reading, those who encouraged me to do that aren't people I even got along with but still said I was welcome to come back when I wanted.
Quote:
4. Convince Your Friend/Lover to Play: Have you ever tried to convince an MMO virgin to give one a try? It’s like talking Darth Vader into giving you a foot rub. “But,” they say “I’d have to buy the game, and the expansions, and if I don’t like it, it’d be a waste of money!” Throw a free-to-play their way. Voila! No cold cash involved. The other favorite is “I don’t have the time!” See #1 for an answer to that. No guarantees that you’ll talk them into it, but at least they won’t have any excuses anymore.
I am sorry to say that most if not all P2P MMOs have a free trial in which people can try it to see if they like it. Wow that was a short counter... Moving on!
Quote:
5. Get in Touch with Your Inner Otaku: Do spiky blue hair and big innocent eyes appeal to you? There’s no better place to play out your anime fantasies than free-to-play MMOs. You’re bound to meet others that share your love. With the high number of female anime/manga fans, odds are that some of those pixel pretties are actually real girls, too.
This is only true because P2P MMOs are aimed at more mature people not "NaRuToGoD666", "AZNKAWAIIGIRL69" and "xXIChIGoShInIGaMiXx".
Quote:
6. Be More Social: While the big pay-to-play titles tend to attract the power gamers, there are lot of people in the free-to-play scene that would rather make friends and have fun than get the newest, hardest-to-get raid gear. If sitting around a campfire sharing camaraderie sounds like your way to wind down, free-to-play might just be for you.
There are entire severs in WoW dedicated to role playing just for those who enjoy to be more social and be more theatrical. My old "hardcore" WoW guild had several people who joined it just to be social and be friendly and fill in raid spots for if we needed someone and many many other guilds do the same thing.
Quote:
7. Get involved: Free-to-play developers tend to listen more to feedback than their subscription-based counterparts. There are even titles like Holic that allow you to create your own quests and dungeons.
This is not necessarily true. Developers also usually have their own internal testers who mention the same things players will mention. Also City of Heroes/Villians has its own quest maker and if I remember right it's P2P.
Quote:
8. Get Rid of the Grind: While there are still plenty of grind games in the free-to-play market, you’ll find just as many where mini-games are as bountiful as kill-quests. Free Realms is a good example.
Those games are usually aimed a younger people with a very low attention span.
Quote:
9. Be Part of a Community: Now, more than ever there are ways to be part of a community. Check out our own podcasts: Dragonica Insider, The Rune Guys, and Free Play Podcast to tune in with other players and write in your own experiences. There’s nothing more satisfying than feeling like you belong to something bigger.
WoW has a very good community as well as its own podcasts, other P2P MMOs do as well.
I would just like to point out YouTube - BlueXephos's Channel a popular and comical podcaster who plays on a WoW RP server and makes comical how to videos, as well as warcraftmovies.com.
Quote:
10. There’s Something For You: Whatever you want in an MMO, you can have it for free. Want World of Warcraft for $15 less? Try Runes of Magic. Figure out what keeps you coming back, and we can tell you what to play. Now you have $10-$15 dollars a month to see a movie, donate to charity, or buy your kids some food (just kidding, kids don’t need to eat) !
Want Runes of Magic without hackers and dupers? Figure out what keeps making you leave, and we can tell you what to play. Also 8/€9/$15 isn't alot.
Quote:
Article by Marie Barnes, Freemmogamer.com - Posted 7/31/09
MMOsite, slow once again.