killing threda since 2007
Join Date: Aug 2008
badna0's Guide to Training Spots!!!
So since there's so many questions about places to change, and since Trickster's traditional training grounds are currently in a state of upheaval, I figured I'd try and compile all of them into one compact thread. I'll do my best to keep this updated.
W h y Train?
This may not be an obvious question to the old-time (grind heavy) tricksters, but its a valid one. Since a character can level primarily through quests, why even bother grinding?
- Grinding is slightly better for your TM level than doing keyquests.
- Grinding helps you level when you're out of quests.
- Grinding makes you money from mob drops, galders, etc.
- Grinding levels you faster than questing, provided you pick an optimal training spot/have a party/have adequate equipment.
- Grinding can be done in conjunction with questing - while training, pick up those annoying quest items!
C r i t e r i a for a good grind
- Good Spawn density. You don't want to run miles in order to get a kill, because that cuts into your experience. On the other hand, unless you're AoEing, you don't want the monsters to be too crammed, because you will take more damage = more pots used = more repots = more time not training.
- Close to repot. Most important for characters with a 1-2 in sense. If you run out of pots, it's a hassle to run 3-4 maps just to refill on elixirs. It's even more of a hassle when you have 3000 total weight and you have to do this every 5 mins.
- Weak monsters. a) Ideally all monsters on the map are weak to your damage type, which lets you train on the map at lower levels. b) You don't want monsters that do a whole lot of damage, banish, etc. b/c these things increase repot frequency/transportation.
- Size. In order to accommodate a 2.5 party, a map must be big enough for 6 people. Places like Phantom School bathroom may be large enough only for one party maximum, while Tap 1 can hold multiple ones.
- Loot. Some places give items that are worth a lot of money, can be used for quests, etc. etc. This is a nice perk of training in a spot.
- AFK location. Particularly important at higher levels, this allows your party members to stay in a party and in the field, and lets you have a high experience bonus while you train.
R u n n i n g your Party
- Always post to the bulletin board (P -> View -> "Recruit Members" -> Write if you have a party already and need more people) (P -> View -> "Party Request" -> Write if you don't currently have a party).
- Getting a party started is highly preferred as more people are willing to join if they see you've established a party first.
- Special (ie. a gender party) is in most cases easier to keep up than a Royal, and offers precisely the same benefits.
I've estimated level ranges... please check my responses, and correct me if I'm off on any of them.
w h e r e 2 G R I N D...
Numbers like "70-" mean below level 70, while "35+" means at least level 35.*Path to Oops
Levels are suggestions based on (and sorted by) difficulty of mob. You may be able to train there earlier or later depending on the quality of your gear.
More extensive descriptions of each training spot are in the spoilers below each section.
a * means i think the place is especially good for training in a party.
P. School 1f
-- 35+ | 50-
-- 35+ | 70-
Oops Wharf Field 2
-- 60+ | ~88-
*Oops Wharf Field 4 -- 60+ | 84-
Mermaid Palace 2 -- 60+ | 95-
*Seabed 1 -- 60+ | 100-
Seabed 4 -- 60+ | 100-
P. School 2f Bathroom
-- 60+ | 92-
*P. School 2-2
-- 70+ | 94-
Mermaid Dungeon 1 -- 70+ | 110-
*P. School Annex
-- 70+ | 123-
P. School Machine Room -- ??+| ??-
-- 70+ | 110-
Mirage Island 1 -- 80+ | 110-
Mirage Island 2 -- 80+ | 110-
Mermaid Dungeon 2
-- 80+ | 110-
*P. School Dungeon -- 90+| 220-
Path to Snow Hill aka Bugbears -- 100+ | 170?-
*Tap 1 -- 100+ | 289-
Vamp Dungeon 4 -- 140+ | 170-
*Tech 4 -- ??+ | ??-
This place is superb. Provided you can survive the mobs, it rewards you with superb item and money drops. The equips here have the potential to be some of the best in the game - you can sell the good ones for millions, and npc the rest for an easy 50k. Lots of people can train here too, from a large range of levels. I'd train here as soon as I can OHKO/2HKO the mobs. A party is handy in case a griefer tries to kill you, since it is a PvP zone. If you're a fox like me, I highly recommend 2-4 as an orgy of Fan of Knives goodness; I can train in 2-4 solo faster than I can at Tap 1 with a booster (!)
Originally Posted by DarkMaverick(edited)
P. School Dungeon 3-1. It has Picture Ghosts and Haunted Prisoners. The Ghosts are physical weak and the Prisoners are gun weak. The only problem is that Prisoners banish, but they do give a warning message so if you can OHKO it's a great place to level for foxes. Not sure about other classes.
If you can't OHKO the Prisoners in 3-1 there's 3-2 which has Picture Ghosts and Haunted Straws that are both physical weak. The only difference being that Haunted Straws have Mana Arrow and don't banish. I like 3-1 more because I get hit less, but I can see arguments both ways. I'd suggest 3-2 if you can't OHKO Prisoners otherwise it's personal preference.
Karan Boss Trial 1 (Trench of the Dead) -- ??+ | ??-
Count Blood Boss Trial 1
Good spot for AoE, I'm told, and very party friendly. It looks to me like the old SF3, which means you can pick an area with your type of mob and go wild. (credit to NakedImouto
-- ??+ | ??-
Count Blood Boss Trial 2
Kerberos are easier to kill than Bats, lots of mobbing.(credit to NakedImouto
-- ??+ | ??-
Snow Mines Closed Lot 1 -- 170?+ | 280?-
Bats are really nice if you can OHKO with strong AoE's. Buffalos (Chi+zerk), and haxxed sheep will go wild here, but other classes can train here too.(credit to NakedImouto
Ice Dungeon 3 -- 170?+ | 280?-
Popular place for high-level training, since ID3 is now dead. Mobs/experience are good, but beware if you don't ohko, the mobs can hurt a lot (thanks to Lendisa
no pretty picture... sorry.
gone since revo, which apparently messed up the map. (thanks to Lendisa
if the post above this is insightful/useful, rep me plz
Last edited by badna0; 05-09-2009 at 12:32 PM.