View Single Post
10-23-2008   #24 (permalink)
Dani
Special
Games
Dungeon Fighter OnlineMabinogiS4 LeagueSpiral Knights
Awards Retired Content StaffEvent WinnerWandering Eye

Dani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond reputeDani has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Dani
IGN: FearmyLEGS
Class: i shoot you lt_gunslinger
Level: E

I shall maek tutorial for great justice.

Dani's Colouring Tutorial for Adobe Photoshop and SAI Easy Paint tool
Soft shading/Soft Cell shading

Note: I'm running on Photoshop CS3, some options may be different in different versions of Photoshop.

SUP GUYS, DANI HERE. I'm here to contribute something that will (hopefully) be helpful to those on MOG that like to draw, but wish to make computer cg works like a lot of people do with programs like Photoshop and such. This tutorial will try to aim towards both tablet and mouse users, since I notice a lot of tutorials seem to neglect those who use a mouse instead of a tablet. Later on, if I feel like it, I'll make a lineart tutorial for mouse users so they can make pretty lines on graphics programs even if they have a spaztic hand that doesn't give them nice, clean and fluid like strokes with the brush tools. These tutorials will mostly aim towards Photoshop and SAI easy paint tool, but you can use the techniques used here for other programs like Open Canvas and Corel.

Though I'll say this quickly before we start:

This tutorial ISN'T meant for you to follow it exactly step-by-step so your works look just like mine, it is meant as a learning tool for you to learn how some tools work and how you can manipulate them for your own unique style. Now then, let's get started now, shall we?

FIRST: Get your lineart open and ready for colouring! I'll be using a picture of Lelouch from Code Geass. Say hi to the pretty purple eyed boy... wait, he has no purple eyes. ;___;
Spoiler!

Next get your base colours in. An easy way to do this is select an area using the magic wand tool and then depending on the thickness of your lineart, expand the selected area (I usually only expand it by 1px ). DO NOT put the base colours in the same layer! Give each colour its own layer (skin, eyes, hair, ect ). To expand a selected section in SAI Easy Paint Tool go to Selection -> Expand selection by 1px. Simple. In Photoshop you go to Select -> Modify -> Expand and then type in the number of pixels you wish to expand your selection by. Make sure you go back and fill in gaps the selection tool didn't pick up.
Spoiler!

Now, we start with the shading. I'm going to start with colouring Lulu's skin. Make a layer above the skin layer and set it to Clipping Mask. To do this in SAI Simply click the box in the layer window that says Layer Clip with your new layer selected. In Photoshop, right click the new layer and select Create Clipping Mask. This ensures that colours won't go outside the non-transparent pixels on the previous layer. This saves A LOT of time and energy which is usually wasted on cleaning up excessive colour bleeding.

On your clipping mask layer, change it to a Multiply Layer. In both SAI and Photoshop, there is a dropdown box in the layer windows. By setting a layer to Multiply, it will darken colours when you paint on the shading, however it will still "inherit" the colour saturation in the previous layer if I remember correctly. Determine where your light source is and shade where the light is furthest away from your subject. Keep in mind how light and shadows appear on 3-D objects, and apply that to your picture.

For your brush in Photoshop, use a soft airbrush. If you're using a mouse, lower the brush opacity to... I'd say around 10%-20%. Paint many layers untill you get the look you like. Also experiment with gradients too.

In SAI paintool, feel free to either use the pen tool and then blur it with the blur tool, or use the airbrush, or maybe even both. The blur tool can create some very nice gradients, so try to use that to your advantage.
Spoiler!

Add more shading layers if you want. I usually use around 2-3 on most things (except eyes ).
Spoiler!

Now let's move onto lighting. Create a new layer above the base colour layer you wish to work on, and make it clipping mask. Set it to a Screen Layer or Linear Dodge/Additional Layer. In my opinion, screen layers work better with skin then linear dodge/additional layers, but you can decide how you do things for your picture. You can decide how many layers you use, but for things like a light skin tone, you prolly will only be able to use one or two layers. Keep in mind how light hits off of objects.
Spoiler!

Repeat the steps above for clothing and hair. For hair, you can do more for the lighting, and can probably use a Linear Dodge/Additional layer here.

Spoiler!

Now then, let's work on the eyes.

Create a clipping mask layer here and we're going to start with the shading first. Do what you did before with multiply layers. Keep in mind the darkest part of the eye is and always shall be the pupil. The lighting will kind of curve along the eye in a way.

Spoiler!

Now we're done! 8D

Sorry if this wasn't so very in depth/explanatory, but it isn't meant for you to follow exactly, just to learn what kind of results you can get via this one method. Build on this and create your own colouring style, you can do it~!

ggFTW RulesggFTW Eventscomedy.mp4
My fingers trace lines of azures and scarlets, following the viridian milky ways above
To the poetry of fourteen billion years of light that mellows my heart into a melody