View Single Post
06-28-2008   #19 (permalink)
blaaaow
/gg FTW! Moogler

blaaaow has a spectacular aura aboutblaaaow has a spectacular aura aboutblaaaow has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirc
thanks for the tips. I also do other exercises besides just benching such as standing bicep curls, skull crusher, dips, crunches, bent over row, etc.. I also increase weights if I feel the exercise is getting too easy or if I am going way over my rep range. But one thing I have a bad leg injury so that prevents me from doing any good workout on my legs. As of now I just run to build leg muscle, so squats I try to avoid, which I heard from others and you, is a really good exercise. So that sucks for me.

I'm gonna follow your tip and start doing dead lifts. But I'm probably gonna need a spotter for that to see if I am keeping my back straight. Or I'm gonna have one hell of a bad back pain. Lol, and watching my diet is gonna be really hard for me to do cuz I'm a chocolate addict lol. Which is one of the main reasons why my abs don't show as much.

I have another question (Probably will have more lol, just to lazy to ask for now), am I overexerting myself? Well what happens is that I recently started to run a lot, was a lazy person before never really ran much. But now I run like crazy and afterwards I get bad leg pain, manly around my shins, ankles, and knees. So could it be that I started too fast, and I should have slowly increased intensity? I also have something else but I guess I'll ask you when I wake up.

Oh and I almost forgot to say, really well written guide and very informative. Also thanks for the help and tips
What kind of leg injury do you have? Maybe I can help you find a way to work around it. You really should work your legs... they're half your body!

It's tough to find someone who will be able to help you out with form on the deadlifts since the average gym goer doesn't do them. Best thing to do would be to record yourself deadlifting just the bar and watch yourself to correct the problem. Or if you were to put that type of vid on youtube I could give my suggestions.

About that leg pain you're getting... ever hear of shin splints? I had terrible shin splints when I started running consistently. I'm not an expert on running, but my friend who does track suggested that I get new shoes. My current shoes were all beat up and when I got a new pair the shin splints slowly went away. I now also have orthodics that I had custom made from a podiatrist because I am flat-footed. My track friend also suggested I run "heel-toe" instead of on my toes when I am doing cardio (it's different than when you are sprinting).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurorasParadox
Great guide =O

About the highlighted... what do you mean by low intensity morning cardio? (I'm not really familiar with this terms =x)

Also, what do you mean by low and high carb days?

I'm kinda underweight and well, I've been trying to "bulk up" my self for ages =x
Thanks for your guide btw.
DOH! I really should have explained those terms. Sometimes I think everyone knows what I'm talking about . I'll add those terms to the guide eventually.

There is many different arguments to what type of cardio is better, so I just want to remind everyone this is my opinion.

When I refer to low intensity cardio, I mean any sort of activity that gets your heart-rate up to 120-140 bpm. If you don't go to the gym, a good guideline is that you can continue the activity while carrying on a conversation. This type of cardio burns more actual fat while doing the cardio, so it should be be done for lengthy periods of time. I hope that makes sense.

Another type of cardio I may refer to is HIIT or high intensity interval training. This is when you do intervals of high intensity cardio and intervals of short rest. An example would be sprinting the straights of a track and walking the curves. Another example would be is while on the bike at a gym, bike at 100% effort for 15 seconds, then at 50% effort for 45 seconds.
HIIT mostly burns glycogen stores (carbs) instead of actual fat on your body, but elevates your metabolism for the rest of the day. Do not do HIIT if you have no carbs in you. When you lack carbs, your body will turn to muscle for a fuel source and convert them into glucose to use during this type of cardio. So always have some sort of carb meal before performing HIIT. A good place to start is doing 10-15 intervals.

I like to do a mixture of both when dieting to lose weight, but when I am aiming to gain weight, I usually only utilize low-intensity cardio on low carb days to keep my body fat under control and just because cardio is healthy for your heart.

For low carb days, 2 out of the 6 meals have carbohydrates. The other 4 out of the 6 meals have fats in replacement of carbohydrates. You have to have the fats since fats promote fat burning and the production of testosterone.

A typical low days for me may look like:
Meal 1: 3/4 cup oatmeal and 1.5 scoops whey
Meal 2: 1 cup white rice and 4 oz chicken
Meal 3: 4 oz chicken and 1 teaspoon of all natural peanut butter and 3 fish oil capsules
Meal 4: 1.5 scoops protein powder and 1 teaspoon of all natural peanut butter and 3 fish oil capsules
Meal 5: 4.5 oz steak and 1 teaspoon of all natural peanut butter and 3 fish oil capsules
Meal 6: 4 oz chicken and 1 teaspoon of all natural peanut butter and 3 fish oil capsules

On high carb days, fats are kept to a minimum, but you supply a good amount of carbohydrates in each meal except the last. I also lower the amount of protein on this day.

For me, a high day may look like this:
Meal 1: 1.5 cups oatmeal and 1 scoop whey
Meal 2: 2 cups of rice 2.5 oz chicken
Meal 3: 1.5 cups oatmeal and 1 scoop whey
Meal 4 (Post workout): 2.5 cups oatmeal, 1.5 scoops whey
Meal 5: 2 cups of rice 2.5 oz chicken
Meal 6: 1.5 cups oatmeal and 1 scoop whey
Meal 7: 3 oz chicken + vegetables

Today is a high day or me and right now I'm eating 7 eggwhites with 2 cups of rice. So you can eat anything for any meal just as long as your getting your nutritional requirements.

I just want to say that the diets posted above are what work for ME. I don't want a random girl or guy eating the above diet in the same amounts I do for myself... because s/he'll get fat!

nutritiondata.com This is a good place to find out how many carbs/fats/protein you are eating in your meals.

Medium days are for people who are trying to lose weight. In this case, medium days would be used on some training days in replacement of some high days. On these days have 3 carb meals and 3 fat meals. Save 1 of the 3 carb meals for post-workout whenever that may be.

For you, who seem like me in the beginning where I had A LOT of trouble gaining weight, just eat the right foods and increase the amount slowly until you start gaining steadily. Use the mirror and measurements to get the best feedback. Make sure not to skip meals either .

Another note is to not give so much attention to the weight scale. Also BE PATIENT! Trying to gaining a pound a week is not really realistic. Think about it... 52 weeks or something in a year... so in a year you'll have 52 lbs of newly built muscle? PSHHH. See what I'm getting at? Set realistic goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyuki
Yeah, that.

Tho I've bit trouble on adjusting at least 8 hours a day for the sleep time. [yay for office work and part time study @_@]

Anyway, good guide.

/This thread deserves sticky x3.
Yea... I've honestly been having trouble getting my sleep in so I know what you mean. Juggling school, work, training, and a girlfriend is tough.

and lol I'm honored Thanks!

Also guys I'm just typing as I go, so if I said something retarded. Tell me I'm an idiot and I'll fix it lol

EDIT: and I just got stickied

Last edited by blaaaow; 06-28-2008 at 07:37 AM.